Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Carrera 3.2 Performance mystery and Chips (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:32 PM
scarceller
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
I have a quick question for the guys in the know: My car's date of production is 11/24/87. It was built to the first owner's specs. Scarceller says my chip is from late '89. I can tell I was the first guy to use a screwdriver to open the DME. So....A: The DME was opened and the chip was replaced in a way that didn't scratch, B: The entire DME was replaced, or C: The chip was around in November of '87. My guess is "C" 'cause nothing was ever done to this car. Did I say nothing? What do you think?
Doug,

I think you said you have chip 1267355358 and this is a stock chip for 89 USA Carrera. But it could have been the same chip in the Late 87 cars, I just really do not know for sure, but I do know this chip was in the US 89 cars. Maybe someone else would know what 28pin chip came in the late 87 US cars.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:55 PM
yogi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to say this about my car and chip. My car is an early built 87. According to my records the previous owner had the dme replaced about 10 years ago. My chip is number1267355910. According to the first post in this thread it's a 32 bit chip and is rarely used. Does this mean anything?

Jerry Baer
87 coupe
Old 03-18-2008, 12:12 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"My point is that the Porsche engineers ALWAYS do there homework and in my PERSONAL oppinion I think they can RECOMEND a certain grade of fuel but the customer could use something lower in grade which is offten the case."

Oh O.k. So when Porsche defines a specific specification, just do what you think best, right:

1. When Porsche specifies the oil type as 20/50 for year round use, it's O.K. to use a 10 weight
in SoCal during the summer at 100+ degrees, right? Porsche must have designed their engines to use a 10 weight anyway knowing someone would being using a different weight because it's on sale.
2. When Porsche specifies the valve clearance at .1mm, it's O.K. to set them
at 0 clearance, right? They designed their valve systems knowing someone would
probably not have the correct feeler gauge or decide on another setting.
3. When Porsche specified the octane at 96, it's O.K. to use 87, right?
Porsche knew that some owners may have had a limited budget and could only
afford a 87 octane.

Bottom line: OEM specifications are just kinda rough guidelines to follow if one agrees with them, right?

Note: Using the octane calculation method used by fuel retailers, e.g. Shell & Chevron,
of pump octane = ( RON + MON ) / 2 and the Porsche spec for a minimum octane (where
RON = 96 & MON = 86), results in a minimum pump USA octane rating of 91 for a 911
Carrera. Porsche also indicated "Premium" in the owner's manual which infers the highest
grade available where a minimum grade would be 91.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 03-18-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:35 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

96 octane? Again, I think there is confusion as to which octane measurement is being used. There is RON, MON, and AKI. All use different numbers.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:03 AM
scarceller
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loren,

First, I respect your ability in the Motronic system as you have helped me understand how parts of it work in the past.

But I have altered the Fuel and Ignition maps and have seen increases in HP on the dyno. I also know first hand that my Throttle response is much better, these are facts with my car.

Have also spoken to several race EFI system tuners (Non Stock EFI systems like MoTec) and they agree that tunning the Timming and the Fuel can achieve positive results.

On the down side you can really affect emissions.

Also, the reason for me to go down this route is that my car is NOT stock. It has the following changes:
Web Cams 20/21
Port Polished Intake
Euro motor
SSIs
2in2out MK pike
These changes put the car outside the stock chip as it did not run well with it. Tunning a new chip has made all the diffrence.

Also, if the WOT Timing Map can't be improved why did the factory make diffrent chips with diffrent maps over the years? I attached a picture of the stock 84 chip WOT Timing Map being compared to the same map in the 89 chip. You can clearly see they bumped the timing advance about 3deg above 5000RPM. I conclude the factory saw value in doing exactly what we are talking about doing. Even the factory saw room for improvment over the years. Just something to think about.

I guess for now I just respectfully disagree, I feel one can improve the stock chip. But this is just my oppionion of course.

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"My point is that the Porsche engineers ALWAYS do there homework and in my PERSONAL oppinion I think they can RECOMEND a certain grade of fuel but the customer could use something lower in grade which is offten the case."

Oh O.k. So when Porsche defines a specific specification, just do what you think best, right:

1. When Porsche specifies the oil type as 20/50 for year round use, it's O.K. to use a 10 weight
in SoCal during the summer at 100+ degrees, right? Porsche must have designed their engines to use a 10 weight anyway knowing someone would being using a different weight because it's on sale.
2. When Porsche specifies the valve clearance at .1mm, it's O.K. to set them
at 0 clearance, right? They designed their valve systems knowing someone would
probably not have the correct feeler gauge or decide on another setting.
3. When Porsche specified the octane at 96, it's O.K. to use 87, right?
Porsche knew that some owners may have had a limited budget and could only
afford a 87 octane.

Bottom line: OEM specifications are just kinda rough guidelines to follow if one agrees with them, right?

Last edited by scarceller; 03-03-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:57 PM
paul84911
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SteveW,
Read what you had to say on chips for the 84-89 3.2 motors. I like and agree with your views. Where could I purchase a chip for my 84 3.2 that is configured the way you explained it?
Thank you for sharing your experiance and knowledge.
paul84911
paulschoch@gmail.com

Last edited by paul84911; 05-23-2022 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Add my email address

Quick Reply: Carrera 3.2 Performance mystery and Chips (long)