Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Carrera 3.2 Performance mystery and Chips (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Carrera 3.2 Performance mystery and Chips (long)

With all this talk about 3.2 performance and chips, I often stay away from these types of posts, but I’d thought I chime in here before too much misinformation gets posted.

On the 84-89 programs, there are a large multitude of maps, with over 400 data points. Talk about ignition timing at 1000, 2000, 3000 rpm whatever is so meaningless; it’s like staring at the branch but missing the forest. Porsche provided a small multitude of chips for the U.S. 930/25 Carreras. Off the top of my head, there are the 1267355102, 1267355028, 1267355180 for the 84-86 Carreras, which are absolute dogs in throttle response and overall performance because of the excessive lean mixtures and conservative ignition maps for emissions compliance and expected worst of conditions for use with 91 RON, which is equivalent to U.S. 86 CLC octane. All the above chips are basically identical, except that later on Porsche started using 4k vs 2k eproms as memory prices dropped. The 84-86 chips are programmed to idle at 800 rpm with the idle ign timing set at 2.5 degrees ATDC. For the 87s, with the 4k eproms, the two most common are the 1267355236 and 1236355302 chips, with the 236 chip also being an absolute dog, but the 302 chip providing good throttle response. These newer programs increased idle from 800 to 880, with the 302 chip having it’s idle ignition timing set at 3.5 degress BTDC, and the 236 chip at the old 2.5 degrees ATDC. For the 88-89 Carreras, there also were several chips, the two most common being the 1267355357 and 1237355358, with the 357 chip being the absolute dog, and the 358 chip being the best and identical in every respect to the 302 chip with the exception that the 8K 28 pin chips had double memory of the 24 pin 4K chips to contain the 8051 processing code onboard, instead of a separate onboard chip. The 358 and 302 chips were factory spec for use with 95 RON octane, equal to 90 U.S. CLC octane. The 358 and 302 chips also had the greatest ignition advance at full throttle, with 23 degrees advance at 6000 rpm, vs about 17 degrees for the 357 chip, and about 20 degress for the 84-86 chips. There are also the 28 pin 1267355330, and 1267355910(32K), but these are less common so we won’t discuss them. So if you are a club racer and need to stay stock, go with the 302, 358, 330, or 910. If you have a 2K 84-86 box, it is a simple modification to move a jumper on the circuit board to read the full 4k chip of the 87 cars. However, many 84-86 DMEs are already 4K capable.

With regards to pockets of performance left on the table, Porsche did not leave them on the table because they were unaware, but because of having to perform a balancing act with respect to meeting emissions, low fuel octane requirements, potential poor maintenance by owners, intake air leaks, clogged fuel injectors, carboned intake valves and piston tops, clogged cats and contaminated and non functioning O2 sensors, etc., and still function to meet emissions requirements and still operate without major issue. But for a truly optimally performing engine, this leaves many compromises that I am sure Porsche was very well aware of.

All one has to do is log the air/fuel ratios using a digital wideband data logger while you are driving and see the differences with the different chips and why they behave the way that they do. In addition, the part throttle ignition maps are much more optimized in the 302 and 358 chips over the others, which also contribute to their much improved low part throttle response. Almost all the stock chips will try to maintain the stoichiometric ratio of 14.7:1 under part throttle conditions, especially with the O2 sensor providing closed loop feedback. This makes for good emissions, but especially on the older chips, with their very retarded part throttle ignition maps and super lean fuel curves, creates a lean bog on throttle acceleration.

By now almost everyone knows that what is good for emissions is not good for maximum power. A stoichiometric 14.7:1 afr provides complete combustion for best emissions, but on the aircooled 911 motors, maximum power occurs at a richer afr of 12.6 to 13.0. And as every turbo tuner know, a richer mixture provides a much cooler combustion chamber which allow increased boost without predetonation, often running as low at 12.0:1, however in our case, with the normally aspirated motors, the richer mixture allows a more optimized ignition timing with predetonation. It is a misconception that the O2 sensor always keeps the part throttle mixture at stoichiometric, no matter what you do to the part throttle fuel mappings. The O2 sensor only has a certain margin that is modulates under, and also has a certain amount of latency, so when fuel enrichment is provided for that momentary burst on throttle acceleration, the proper richer mixture can be delivered for that moment to eliminate a bog, and provide full power, no matter where in the power curve that you are in. One can also remap the part throttle curves which forces the afr to go to an optimum power mix at high part throttle load, no matter what the O2 sensor says.

The ideal situation would be maintain a stoichiometric mixture under cruise and light loads for best fuel efficiency and emissions, yet the moment you jab your throttle, either by just cracking it a half inch, or down to the floor, the air fuel mixture instantly goes to 12.6-13, and stays there until you are done and have reached your attained speed or torque level, at which point, your afrs drop right back to 14.7 at steady state. At full throttle, you want to maintain approximately a 13.0:1 afr for optimum power for the 911 motor, but above 4000 rpm, it is probably desirable to go a little richer down to 12.6:1 to prevent predetonation due to uneven air distribution, especially cylinder #5 which gets the most air from the Carrera intake manifolds. We may loose a little power on the other 5 cylinders, but better safe than sorry.

Doing all this may seem like a daunting task, but is really not that difficult and quickly tuned with the right equipment. Using a digital wideband afr analyzer, one can instantly monitor the afrs from cruise, to part throttle acceleration, to full throttle, and with data logging, I can bring the data back to my computer and analyze the results at every rpm range, and retune. In my case, using a laptop interfaced into the Motronic box emulating the chip, I can perform realtme adjustments to the fuel and ignition curves on the fly, while monitoring the afrs on the display in realtime. Too much fuel at 4000 rpm full throttle … just dial back the full throttle curve at 4000. See a momentary lean afr at 2000 rpm when you crack the throttle, leading to an acceleration bog? … Just recurve the part throttle map at 2000, and get rid of it. Cruising along the highway and seeing a perfect 14.7:1 afr – beautiful. When all is said an done, and the ignition curves are reoptimized to work with the remapped fuel curves with the octane fuel you intend to use, the cars performs amazingly, very smooth, and so much more drivable over the stock programming, and with reliability.

There has been talk of playing with the sensors, i.e. disconnecting the O2 sensor, readjusting the spring tension in the AFM, etc. – been there, done that – which to me is Mickey Mouse and a compromise at best with the ability today to do everything in the digital domain. The basic principle of loosening the AFM spring is to increase fuel delivery on acceleration, by making the door swing open faster to compensate for the lean mapped factory chips in part throttle. Disconnecting the O2 sensor also makes the car run open loop and keeps it from leaning out in part throttle situations. But bear in mind, especially on the older chips, this provides only a fractional improvement over reprogramming, and only works at part throttle. Also, changing the relationship of the AFM door swing to what has been programmed will shift off the part throttle ignition maps to a different load range that it was never intended to work in. The DME will actually think with the faster swinging door, that it is seeing greater load, and start retarding the part throttle ignition more than it is programmed to do. With the O2 sensor disconnected, you will also probably not meet emissions and fuel economy in steady state situations. Motronic also ignores all sensor inputs at full throttle, including the O2 sensor and AFM anyways, so no matter what you do by tinkering with those sensors, your car will deliver no more maximum power than was delivered from the factory by the stock chip. The fuel is fixed, and so is the ignition at full throttle. The only way to optimize at this point is to program within the chip. Those who already have performance chips should not alter the sensors, as it will throw off the delicate balance of fuel enrichment and ignition that has already been remapped in the chip.

In the past there has been much discussion about chips and the tradeoffs associated with them. Having dealt with may owners, I can say they work fine for the majority of Porsche owners out there, but there are some situations where it may not work well. By optimizing the fuel and ignition mixtures to work with either 91 octane, 93 octane, or 110 octane race fuel, one must assume their car is fully tuned without all the mechanical problems as outline in the previous paragraph. Carboned pistons and clogged injectors can lead to lean uneven fuel mixtures and light predetonation. Occasionally, after a chip install, the initial runs knocks out some of the carbon that has accumulated on top of the pistons over time, and the problems clear up never to resurface again. However mechanical problems can exceed this, and a chip won’t run well with this until they are fixed. In this case the stock chip is very tolerant of mistuned motors. To give you an idea, back in the day, a certain very famous Porsche tuner here in California when performing their 10.3:1 CR 3.4L, twin plug, 964 cammed, polished intake, sport exhaust conversions, did nothing more than use the original 1267355102 chip and bump the full throttle ign timing by 3 degrees, and set the rev limit to 6720. Nothing else was changed, not even any of the fuel curves or any of the part throttle ign curves. This give you an idea of how conservative the ignition and fuel margins are available on the stock chip, and still not predetonate, even when running so lean with this much compression. It is the chip user’s responsibility to ensure that he is using the proper fuel, and maintaining his vehicle properly, or if not, decide the aftermarket chip is not for him.

The key to optimizing the ignition curves is to keep the max ignition timing below the threshold of predetonation, yet still maintain an adequate safety margin. The ignition timing that produces optimum power in a 3.2 is not optimum for a street car running on pump gas. The successful club racers are now running anywhere from 35-36 degrees max ignition timing at 6-7000 rpm with 100-110 octane race fuel. But this will cause nasty predetonation with 91 or 93 octane fuel. Some of the early performance chips run their advance anywhere from 30 to 36 degrees. In programming chip, I generally like to keep max advance to about 27.5-28 degrees for 91 octane street gas, and about 29.5 for 93 octane fuel at the full throttle 4000-6500 rpm zone. This may be a compromise, and not deliver the maximum power on a dyno over what another chip with 33 degrees advance uses, but keeps the margin of safety I prefer. In addition, to control predetonation in hot weather and high temp condition, I implement modified knock protection which retards overall ignition timing based on temperature, so you can have both optimized timing for cool conditions, yet dynamically provide more conservatism when it gets hot. This is something I think few chip tuners utilize.

I know this has been long, but hopefully it is able to answer most of the questions most may have with regards to stock chips and aftermarket chips. My intent is not to start a flame war, but to provide the information as clear and as concise a possible yet not give the farm away.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
paul84911 (05-23-2022)
Old 01-28-2004, 07:28 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the 88-89 Carreras, there also were several chips, the two most common being the 1267355357 and 1237355358, with the 357 chip being the absolute dog, and the 358 chip being the best and identical in every respect to the 302 chip with the exception that the 8K 28 pin chips had double memory of the 24 pin 4K chips to contain the 8051 processing code onboard, instead of a separate onboard chip. The 358 and 302 chips were factory spec for use with 95 RON octane, equal to 90 U.S. CLC octane. The 358 and 302 chips also had the greatest ignition advance at full throttle, with 23 degrees advance at 6000 rpm, vs about 17 degrees for the 357 chip, and about 20 degress for the 84-86 chips.
Interesting post Steve. How does one know which chip his '88 has? Which markets got which chip?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 01-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 40 Posts

Sean, which chip you got for your 88 is really a crap shoot. The only way to know is to open up your box and read the numbers off your chip.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:38 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

that's exactly what I was thinking!!
Old 01-28-2004, 09:46 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Amen brother! and can I get a big amen from the gallery
Old 01-29-2004, 02:11 AM
kenshi
Advanced

amen
Old 01-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

A-FREAKIN'-MEN! Thank you Steve! I'm very pleased that you took the time to respond to the drivel that's been posted lately.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:38 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

What's really been said?????? More B.S.

Good Luck
Loren
'88 3.2
Old 01-29-2004, 01:24 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 155 Posts

Lorenfb:
Could you elaborate on why what Steve said is BS?

Disclaimer: I do not have a Steve W chip, or any other aftermarket performance ship in my Carrera, so I am just an unbiased observer who has been following this discussion.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

My thread was supported by published and empiricial data.
This thread has the typical hypebole, i.e. two pages of it,
to overwhelm the naive!

Have Fun
Loren
'88 3.2
Old 01-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

For more info on this topic, you can go to my web site,
(www.systemsc.com), on the Technical, Graphs, & Problems pages.

Good Luck
Loren
'88 3.2
Old 01-29-2004, 02:53 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted to improve the response in my 88 Carrera last year and purchased an Autothority Chip (POR.01.911.300). It had all the performance plus an additional 400 RPM limiter. Someone asked this same question back in mid-2003, so I checked the factory chip I had removed and found it to be (1267355358), the good chip Steve has referred to. I put it back in the car, reset the CO, and replaced the O2 sensor. If I had info last year like Steve has provided us in this thread, I would not have bought the Autothority chip. Steve, thanks for the detailed information. Everyone has an opinion, so i read all the inputs.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:54 PM
lightning
Advanced

My car is a MY86 Carrera 3.2 with the 930/21 engine, the car has only covered 34.000 miles.

When I contacted Steve I was very unhappy with the engine, it seamed almost to shut down when I was shifting gear. The consequence of this was a car that almost braked when i shifted gear and thats not a good thing in a 911. Steve sent me a new chip wich I installed with great sucsess.

The power in my car was fine and I'm not so sure that I gained anything powerwise with the new chip Steve supplied but it really made my car more drivable.

Content.
It's not always about chasing horsepowers or torque but instead where you want to find the power for the type of driving you perform. This time Steve was a very good source to solving my problem.

Thank you Steve!

/Anders
Old 01-29-2004, 07:01 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

I had one of Steve's chips in my 86 coupe. The car at the time had about 50k on the clock. I combined the hip with a B & B dual otlet exhaust and a MAF system. WOW!! The difference was amazing............the car felt like it should and sounded awesome.

My new 87 cab will be showing up shortly, I'm already planning my mods, looks like DANSK twin outlet and pre-muffler and another of Steve's chips.
I'm curious to see the difference between MY86 and MY87. I'll probably skip the MAF this time and just drill out the airbox.

To bad the %$##%$ weather sucks!!
Old 01-29-2004, 10:18 PM
RevHigh
8th Gear

I just upgraded our "project' 911, '86 year, with the following upgrades:
SSi headers w/ heat exhangers, cat-bypass from FabSpeed, B&B single outlet muffler ( I should of gone w/ FabSpeed), K&N panel filter and an AutoThority chip dyno tuned for the mods. The car felt stronger and worked well. I don;t have the dyno sheet handy to post but the car pulled an impressive number for being what it is and the mods in place.

I just installed, 2 weeks ago, a digital MAF setup from AutoThority and the new chip. The car felt much better and pulls really hard over the old configuration. I'm going to dyno the car on Feb. 7th at AutoThority on their SuperFlow chassis dyno. Anyone in the DC metro are and beyond is welcome to come. I have a discoutned dyno rate for this day and people are signing up. I've posted this in the calendar as well for all to see.

I agree as S. Wong posted about the precautions Porsche had to consider when tuning these engines for mass export where unknown conditions these wonderful cars would exist. They are severly detuned and choked up on both ends. Our car is just a complete pleasure to run hard and the sound is just intoxicating.

I know the developer of the AutoThority Porsche chips, Al Collins. He is the man when it comes to the tuning of Porsche's and some BMW's. You cannot go wrong with some of the AutoThority products imo. I've always had excellent results with them. I guess it helps they are close by to me so I can run over there and get custom tuning done. I've had this done on several of our cars and they all outperform our expectations with great reliable performance.

Thanks for reading.

John

Quick Reply: Carrera 3.2 Performance mystery and Chips (long)