Originally Posted by ChrisF
Damn, your '72 looks awesome!
Thanks
Old 03-26-2021, 12:52 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by NickyP
That’s great Bill. Love it when the younger generation has an interest in these funny little cars we love and can drive a stick. My son and I had a 73 2.0L 914 that he learned to drive that we autocrossed together. He started to beat my times after the 3rd AX. I haven’t been close since....
Several of his high school buddies are into vintage sports cars. It is great to see this interest in the younger generation. I love the story of your son. I need to get my son and I out on the track together - what an awesome way to spend time together.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:16 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Car was towed to the shop yesterday to get this thing started and roadworthy. It was a long but productive day. More to come on this, but here are some fun pictures of the car being loaded up and ready for the tow to the shop. This was the furthest my car had been out of the garage since I finished putting it back together so I shot a whole bunch of photos!

The last photos show my car at the shop with some fellow 911’s.

Last edited by myflat6; 03-27-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:02 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 279 Posts

Congratulations! Big day! well done...

By the way, I have been sitting and looking at the gutted interior in my car and then I looked at your post (way way back) and decided to remove the pedal cluster, shifter, shift linkage, and then park brake set up and disassemble and get everything like new. Thank you for your posts!
The following users liked this post:
myflat6 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 08:04 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Igooz
Congratulations! Big day! well done...

By the way, I have been sitting and looking at the gutted interior in my car and then I looked at your post (way way back) and decided to remove the pedal cluster, shifter, shift linkage, and then park brake set up and disassemble and get everything like new. Thank you for your posts!
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, now is the time to do those things - good idea. Don't forget all the bushings - including the throttle rod plastic bushings.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:06 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Who’s doing the tuning?
Old 03-28-2021, 09:59 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Who’s doing the tuning?
It's an un-named shop in San Clemente (seriously, they didn't name it). They typically only do high end restorations and not service but I was put in contact with Richard Humphrey who does the mechanical work on the restorations and he has agreed to help me out since he knows MFI very well. Cool shop - my lowly T looked good in there but was the runt for sure when the other longhoods were an 68 TR, 73 RS, a couple 2.2 S, a 2.4 S and a couple 356 speedsters.

Last edited by myflat6; 03-29-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:14 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Since the shop prefers to break in the motor under load, the first thing they did was align and corner balance. Weight came in at 2,133 - not bad - shaved off close to 200lbs.

Last edited by myflat6; 03-29-2021 at 01:04 AM.
Charles Navarro (06-02-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 02:37 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

can you summarize the motor mods for us?
Old 03-29-2021, 03:06 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by r911
can you summarize the motor mods for us?
Sure - the motor isn't heavily modified, but should be a good match to the chassis.

- Increased to 2.5 using Nickies slip in cylinders (no case/spigot machining required); JE pistons
- 9.5:1 compression
- DC30/mod Solex cams
- Stock crank (long stroke) but was cross drilled. Crank, flywheel and pressure plate were balanced together.
- Stock rods; were rebuilt and balanced
- Ported/polished heads to RS specs (36mm intake/35mm exhaust)
- Throttle bodies and intake stacks also bored to 36mm (S/RS)
- MFI pump modified to match cams/heads/intake
- Stock ignition, with exception of going with the Classic Retrofit CDI+
- Stock oil pump, but did have ported/polished/rebuilt
- SSI's with Dansk sport muffler

Expecting to be in the 200hp range with good usage range of HP and torque. For this HP, it would have been much more economical to go to a 3.0 or 3.2, as bringing back one of these Mag motors to where they need to be and the MFI mods is all very expensive work. I wanted an old school motor and tried to keep the performance within the range of comfort for my early numbers matching case and the relatively unmodified chassis. Given my weight of 2,133 and expected HP of 200hp, the power to weight is very similar to the Carrera RS at 10.6.

Last edited by myflat6; 03-29-2021 at 04:28 PM.
Charles Navarro (06-02-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 04:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
It's an un-named shop in San Clemente (seriously, they didn't name it). They typically only do high end restorations and not service but I was put in contact with Richard Humphrey who does the mechanical work on the restorations and he has agreed to help me out since he knows MFI very well. Cool shop - my lowly T looked good in there but was the runt for sure when the other longhoods were an 68 TR, 73 RS, a couple 2.2 S, a 2.4 S and a couple 356 speedsters.
very nice. If you ask nice maybe they help in future work :-)
the shops you need the secret handshake to get access to are the best.
my 914 is currently at one of those .... if i could share who was doing the post break-in engine mechanical work I’d be flooded with requests. Super lucky here....been sworn to secrecy. 9146 just easier to pull the motor than fighting with access in the mid engine.
Will be doing some dyno time to get the carbs and tuning spot on too.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:53 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
Sure - the motor isn't heavily modified, but should be a good match to the chassis.

- Increased to 2.5 using Nickies slip in cylinders (no case/spigot machining required); JE pistons
- 9.5:1 compression
- DC30/mod Solex cams
- Stock crank (long stroke) but was cross drilled. Crank, flywheel and pressure plate were balanced together.
- Stock rods; were rebuilt and balanced
- Ported/polished heads to RS specs (36mm intake/35mm exhaust)
- Throttle bodies and intake stacks also bored to 36mm (S/RS)
- MFI pump modified to match cams/heads/intake
- Stock ignition, with exception of going with the Classic Retrofit CDI+
- Stock oil pump, but did have ported/polished/rebuilt
- SSI's with Dansk sport muffler

Expecting to be in the 200hp range with good usage range of HP and torque. For this HP, it would have been much more economical to go to a 3.0 or 3.2, as bringing back one of these Mag motors to where they need to be and the MFI mods is all very expensive work. I wanted an old school motor and tried to keep the performance within the range of comfort for my early numbers matching case and the relatively unmodified chassis. Given my weight of 2,133 and expected HP of 200hp, the power to weight is very similar to the Carrera RS at 10.6.
That looks a lot like what a friend did to his. I sometimes think my 3.2L hot rod is a bit much.

But other times, not enough...
Old 03-29-2021, 05:25 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by r911
That looks a lot like what a friend did to his. I sometimes think my 3.2L hot rod is a bit much.

But other times, not enough...
I'm sure there will be times I wish I had more power too Should be a super fun old school experience though!
Old 03-29-2021, 05:29 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyerx
very nice. If you ask nice maybe they help in future work :-)
the shops you need the secret handshake to get access to are the best.
my 914 is currently at one of those .... if i could share who was doing the post break-in engine mechanical work I’d be flooded with requests. Super lucky here....been sworn to secrecy. 9146 just easier to pull the motor than fighting with access in the mid engine.
Will be doing some dyno time to get the carbs and tuning spot on too.

Awesome - would love to see more of the 914-6 - those cars are great. Yes, I am lucky to get into this shop - although I definitely was pushing it to get in. Hoping they will welcome me back in the future, as my car has been a different experience for them. More to come on that....
Old 03-29-2021, 07:43 PM
myflat6
Drifting

So after the alignment and corner balance was set, the shop gave my car a good look over. After all, some dude who has never assembled a car and motor brought this car to them.

Time was spent looking for fluid leaks (found one small brake fluid leak on one of my front calipers), checking different connections, etc. My handy work was pretty good for the most part. Just a couple minor things were addressed by the shop. A couple embarrassments - but I felt proud for the most part.

Then they started to evaluate the MFI setup. A lot of time was spent here on just getting the linkage correct. They lubed all of the ball joint ends (I had lubed them but they did some more and they used anti-seize - never seen that before). They custom made a section of the throttle linkage to get better geometry leading to the bell crank on the trans and made sure all of the linkage was to the correct measurement - important for MFI.

Now onto the first turnover of the motor! They drained the brand new oil I put in it and replaced it with break in oil (Driven brand). I felt silly not putting break-in oil in the car.

Then removed the spark plugs and installed an oil pressure gauge. Turned the motor over to circulate oil and verified good oil pressure. A proud moment for me! So far my rookie motor building skills were ok.

My car has now been at the shop for close to 7 hours by this time. I’ll add another update to share the next events - as it is still unfolding.

It was fun to see my car on the lift - could see my hard work in a very different way than under the car on jack stands. Here are some photos.

Last edited by myflat6; 03-29-2021 at 07:47 PM.
rxtrom (04-01-2021)

Quick Reply: '72 911T Hot Rod Build