Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'72 911T Hot Rod Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:06 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Sully
It had just been repainted when I purchased the car in 1987 and was supposed to be signal yellow, the original color. Wasn't until many years later that I realized the color wasn't correct. I called it school bus yellow. Was a great little ride but a 2nd kid was entering my life and I had to shelve the 911 ownership for a few years.
For some reason, Signal Yellow seems to be a color that varies a lot with repaints - I have seen it as well. The color should have an 'oranginess' to it. Anyway, the color in your photo looked closer to Bahama Yellow to me, which may be my favorite color of all time.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by myflat6
I have to admit that I am a bit all over the place with this project - still haven't finished the rear suspension yet working on bumpers, steering wheel, headlights etc - I need to get organized again. To some extent, I am just picking up good deals on things I know I will need at some point. So with that said, my plan is to clean up the dash on my car but stay very close to the OE look. I do not have knee pads on my car since I took out the A/C dash vents. Instead of replacing with the OE 3-piece (counting the ash tray) LWB knee pads, I want to go with a single, clean knee pad like the SWB cars had. I don't smoke and if I did, I wouldn't smoke in my 911 - so why do I need an ash tray?! My kids even wondered what that huge tray was for I am being told (so far by one person) that the single knee pad piece from the SWB cars will fit a LWB car with the ash tray removed. Talking to a guy about buying his part, but before I jump in, is there anyone out there that has actually installed this knee pad in their LWB that can attest to it fitting and maybe share a photo? I also want to be sure the profile looks correct and lines up with the upper sections.

My other ideas for cleaning things up is to remove the fresh air controls (the radio is already removed - so I can close off that entire middle section to the glove box with the OE basket material) and the dash speaker when I replace the cracked dash pad. My tunes will come from the flat 6 in the back and the fresh air will come from rolling (manually) the windows down
OK, so for those interested in the answer to this question I had asked a few weeks back (will a SWB knee pad fit a LWB), I have been told by multiple people that these will fit. It reminded me to circle back on my thread when I was reading about Magnus Walker's '72 ST build where he mentioned doing this and I could see it in the photos. I am no where near doing the interior of my car, but it is fun to think ahead
Old 02-16-2019, 02:58 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Started early this morning and I am now taking a break and an aspirin. Spent the morning pounding out the accident damage to the driver side battery box area. I wanted to do this work before cutting out the suspension pan, nose panel and other sheet metal areas so it was still structurally strong enough to take the beating. I am very happy with the results. Needs some minor finishing touches along the panel but the Neanderthal part is done.

Before (look at how far pushed up and and in the battery box was)

After

Tools of the job - that 4x4 took a major beating - but better it than the panel!
Attached Images      

Last edited by myflat6; 02-16-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:19 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Done for today. I was able to use some new tools again - including my new air saw which is so much fun to use. Made several cuts using the air saw and cutting wheels to start removing the various sheet metal parts. I removed the front fuel tank support panel completely as you can see and started cutting out the suspension pan. I may need to get my tetanus shot updated with all this rust
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2019, 07:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Damn! So great they make all the parts to basically build a chassis now. These are worth saving!
Old 02-16-2019, 09:52 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Damn! So great they make all the parts to basically build a chassis now. These are worth saving!
True - and I'm going to be needing several new pieces!
Old 02-17-2019, 03:25 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Where did the front end of my car go!! Not looking like much of a 'longhood' at the moment

Removed the suspension pan and front latch panel this morning. Also drilled out the spot welds to remove what was left of the front ends of the longitudinal tank support pieces. Since my suspension pan had already been replaced previously, the flanges were welded up, so I couldn't drill out spot welds to preserve the flanges. Also, there was quite a bit of rust along those flanges anyway so I may need to purchase more pieces from Restoration Design just the use the lower sections - may be cheaper than paying someone to custom make the pieces. Anyway, I still need to clean up the removal of the latch panel - for now I did a rough cutout to get it out of the way so I can drill out and remove the edges that are spot welded.

I am determined to do this right and replace metal that needs to go!
Attached Images    
Old 02-17-2019, 04:04 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

what we really need is a new stiffer chassis in CF that looks like the old one...

just bolt on the susp. & and the powertrain
Old 02-17-2019, 05:00 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by r911
what we really need is a new stiffer chassis in CF that looks like the old one...

That would be cool
Old 02-17-2019, 05:30 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Gunther works does a 993 body in carbon and there is another manufacturer that does the G body in carbon ,,,their name escapes me at the moment

Old 02-17-2019, 08:35 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

woof!

roof!

ruf!
Old 02-17-2019, 10:33 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

woof!

roof!

ruf!
someone other than Ruff and Singer were doing a G body but for life of me I cannot remember who it was ,,,
Old 02-18-2019, 07:34 PM
myflat6
Drifting

If I could change the title of my thread I would. Those of you that have been following along know this has turned into a full restoration. Those that haven't and click on my thread probably scratch their heads. No hot rodding here!! ...yet

Today I drilled out the spot welds along the seems that attach the latch panel to the fender panel and bumper bracket. There are also some seem welds along there that need to be cut using my 1.5 inch cutting wheels on my Dremel (becoming my favorite tool lately).
I then took a break and started getting estimates for the sheet metal/welding work. I then realized I should know the full scope of the work that needs to be done since guys were wanting to come see it. So I decided to pull the windows to check the channels for the seals. Since I wasn't keeping these old seals I followed the cutout method. Piece of cake. I had my son come help when it was time to take them out so I didn't drop them. It went very easily. Good news was that the channels all looked great! Kind of shocked. What was really eye opening was that both the rear window seal and windshield seal had water in them at the lower corners. Really hard to believe that there was moisture in there since I never washed this car and it has been garaged and dry since I got it at the end of October. All I can think is that the PO washed it before he put it on the truck to be shipped to me. So the water was there for 4 months! Goes to show how careful you need to be with drying after washing these cars and maintaining the seals.
Attached Images     
Old 02-23-2019, 11:16 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Spent time getting my project a bit more organized and keeping some aspects of the restoration going while I decide how I'm going to handle the sheet metal work (more to come on this later). Here is what I got done:
- took the front suspension pieces, gas tank filler tube, seat rails, front hubs, front signal housings and other miscellaneous parts to be media blasted.
- bagging up my second load of hardware to be prepped and plated. Learned my lesson from the first batch. I am not going to waste any time prepping this stuff myself.
- ordered more epoxy primer and ceramic paint for the parts that come back from the blaster
- finally shipped my Aluminum S calipers to PMB for full restoration and piston upgrade. They told me to expect 8 weeks for the service as they restore these S calipers from customers all over the world. I'm in no hurry as my car isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
- carefully drilled out the rivets from the VIN plate from my discarded latch panel.
- organized parts nicely in the corner of my dining room and the windshield and rear window in my bedroom. I may need to get a storage unit soon for this stuff!

I have one of the best Porsche sheet metal/body guys coming over later today to assess my 911 carcass. Will update everyone later.

Ugly hardware - will come back looking like gold
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2019, 02:46 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Did you chase down 3.5" brake spacing S spindles?
I think I'm just going to get the brembo AM fronts that PMB sells. I already have everything sorted and back together, clean, suspension is all new and refinished. I didn't want to bother with these at the time, but I know I'm going to want more heat management at the front end, i know my driving style :-)

The front brakes + a secondary cooler at the 2 things left for now on my list. Oh that and a few minor interior clean up things.

Quick Reply: '72 911T Hot Rod Build