Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need to fix A/C, getting hot!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 09:46 PM
JeffW
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need to fix A/C, getting hot!

I have the york ac compressor on my car and when I turn on the a/c I get this loud wine. I have read that changing to a different type compressor is recomended. Also should I switch to R-134 since I need new parts? thanks..
Old 03-06-2002, 10:52 PM
r22tek
Advanced

Is the whine coming from the compressor?
Old 03-06-2002, 11:08 PM
JeffW
Intermediate

I'm starting to think it may be a fan. when I turn the front fan on I get the same wine. I may just have bad fan motors in the car. I'll have to take it in for a pressure test I guess.. But I'm going to put a 3.6 liter in the car in a few months and want to make sure I have an AC system that will work with that.
Old 03-07-2002, 01:38 AM
Steve W
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
I may get 'flamed' for this but you might want to consider using propane from a torch kit available from Home Depot as a substitute for freon12 instead of a 134a conversion. A 80/20 mix of propane and isobutane is a viturally identical substitute of the R12 refrigerant and is compatible with the mineral oil and seals of your system. R134a will reduce the efficiency of your system quite a bit. On the contrary, propane/isobutane will actually increase the efficieny of your system by 10% and run cooler compared to R12. I can verify that it works, as it is what I am using in the ac system in my Toyota truck - and it will make ice cubes.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:00 AM
JeffW
Intermediate

propane huh... so I get a leak, then an engine fire, then burn my porsche to the ground... I'm not sure I like that idea much... thanks for the input though. I'm mainly looking for a company that sells the alternative to the york compressor and hopefully will bolt onto a 3.6 liter when I swap.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:22 AM
R22tech
Advanced

I mean no disrespect, Steve, but suggestions like that is what keeps me a rich man. Put that stuff in a refrigeration system and have it checked by a professional a/c tech. and you will not only be buying a complete new sealed system, but a manifold guage set, recovery machine, recovery tank, and possibly a vacuum pump as well! I won't even get into the a$$chewing you will receive, complimentary of course.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:37 AM
R22tech
Advanced

Jeff- I thought it sounded like a blower motor from your description of the noise. You don't need to have it "pressure checked". Just open the smuggler's box located in the front trunk to reveal the evaporator motor. Turn on the a/c and see if that is where the noise is coming from. If so, you'll need to remove the housing, disconnect the flex duct to the cabin (2) clamps, and lift it out enough to flip it over and see motor. Use a high quality spray lubricant with mini straw and lubricate both front and rear bearings generously. Run the motor with it out and flipped over after wiping off the excess lubricant, making sure to shield your eyes and the car from flying oil. Do this until it runs quiet. When you are done, clean it again to get any residual oil and spray the inside of the housing with OZIUM air nuetralizer. Re-install and you should be fine. I don't know how to get at the fresh air fan, but it would be the same procedure to fix that one. If the oil doesn't work you'll obviously need a new evaporator fan motor.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:18 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
I knew I would get flamed for this. But it's all good and they are valid concerns. With respect to the flammability issue, extensive studies by the DOT have show that the risk of fire due to a flammable refrigerant to be negligible - about 1 in 30,000,000 inside a vehicle, and 1 in 1,000,000 outside a vehicle. Propane would degas and release into the atmosphere too quickly and in a liquid form in the event of an accident. Besides, don't we have about a hundred pounds of gasoline in our cars too? <a href="http://www.vettenet.org/acfaq.txt" target="_blank">More details.</a>

R22tech, you are right, I wouldn't want to be responsible for your equipment. However, I meant this more as a alternative for the person who understands and works on his/her own vehicle. With the exorbitant cost of R12 and it's unavailability, and the expense of a R134a conversion and it's compromises in a 911, I think refrigerant alternatives warrant consideration. Anyone bothering to undertake this endeavor and fabricate the hose fittings to do this is probably more of a DYIer. But obviously if I were to bring my car into service to a AC tech, I would degas the system, or tell him about it.
Old 03-08-2002, 01:40 PM
JeffW
Intermediate

I wasn't trying to flame, I just rather use a typical method because I have no knowledge of the one you suggested. I guess since alot of vehicles run on propane these days its not as big of a concern as I thought it was.
Old 03-09-2002, 04:10 AM
JeffW
Intermediate

well I checked it out. The clutch on my compressor won't engage. It just makes a bunch of noise. It doesn't turn very well when I try it by hand either. I want to change to the newer style compressor...
Old 03-10-2002, 11:22 AM
Hladun1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might find this useful;

<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/vb/showthread.php?threadid=61620&goto=newpost" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/vb/showthread.php?threadid=61620&goto=newpost</a>

Quick Reply: Need to fix A/C, getting hot!