Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How to fix rust spots in spare tire well

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 11:41 PM
HankN
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix rust spots in spare tire well

Far as I know, I had the spare out on my 42,000 mile 88 Carrera non sunroof coupe for the first time ever recently due to a highway flat. Apperently, some water got in the wheel storage area sometime in the past, and there are a couple small spots of rust in the bottom. Looks like it is only surface rust. Is there a good way to repair this to new appearance? The entire wheel well seems to be painted with some sort of rough texture white paint.

Oh, and I tore the meniscus (cartiledge) in my knee changing the tire, and had knee surgery last week to cut out the damaged tissue. Driving a Porsche is not for wimps.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:45 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

www.por15.com

do the whole treatment, starter kit which has everything and covers 12 sq ft. costs 15 bucks. the company garuntees that it removes and stops rust permanently. you have to follow all the directions to a T (ie no moisture can get in the area when putting the chemicals and paint on). 356 and 912 owners swear by it.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:18 AM
HankN
Intermediate

Thanks, Harry. I looked and it does not seem to come in white, but maybe that should be of seconday concern to the rust.

My first Porsche was a red 67 912 bought new and used for my honeymoon. It was a bit of a point of contention that I bought the car instead of picking up the marriage license that day. Worked out OK as we are now in our 36 th year.

Hank
Old 12-16-2003, 10:44 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

paint over it in white, after it dries. just make sure to buy alot of extra por 15, so you can rough it up with sand paper, , so the white paint will adhear, and you wont have to worry about a scratch in the por 15 where moisture could get in. (if you wanted to do it that way).

great story!!!! John benton wrote an article telling the story of his car, from his first dyas of woning, to when he raced it, to his restoration, and showed pictures of him carying his new bride to his 68 coupe infront of the curch after their wedding.

what ever became of it?

if you want to, you can try to see if it is still around or registered on the 912 registry (only a few thousand are registered right now, but it might be interesting to check http://912registry.org/owners/67_03.htm)

btw, hope you have a full recovery with the knee!
Old 12-16-2003, 10:47 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

or on second thought.. i know a guy who por 15'd his floor pans top and bottom when he replacd them, and the had a rhino lining type of stuff done over that on the bottom. if you can find a trck bed lining like that in white you can do that over the por15. its a bit over kill imho.. but what ever does the trick. lets just say i think that guy can safely say no more rust.. lol
Old 12-16-2003, 11:53 AM
HankN
Intermediate

I had not thought of the Rhino lining. That is the sort of rough texture that is there now. I believe there is a place here that does it.

I do not have a record of the VIN on the 67 912. Last time I saw it was parked on a road side with a busted crankshaft. The OD was on the second time around. Speedo had quit working, so I just put sticky labels on the tach to remind me what speed I was driving. I used it as a daily driver for 15 years. Had one engire rebuild with 1750 jugs put on. That put me on a rough par with the 911 E models that came out later. I auto crossed it a lot with a straight stinger pipe. I ordered it with the factory alloy wheels and real wood stearing wheel. Some ding bat had dented the drivers door at the port of entry, and Porsche never could get the repair right. Guards red. The orig radio (Balupunt) never was any good. As I recall, top speed flat out was about 112 or 115. The 911 Carrera is not even getting a good head of steam up at that speed. Of course, speeding tickets with both cars.

The three things I miss the most on my 88 911 are the front window vents, the air vent lever on the dash and the wing type windows in the back. The AC being so crummy on the 88, it could use the good fresh air vent system of the 67. We drove the 912 through Death Valley in the summer in the daytime, and did not suffer much from the 110 degree weather. We had to put a blanket on our laps for warmth in the winter time. I did not order the optional gas heater for the smugglers hole.

Fond memories.

Hank
Old 12-16-2003, 12:02 PM
HankN
Intermediate

OH, the cam was a hotter grind, too when the larger jugs were put on. Also new Solex carbs to replace the origs that were leaking around the shaft that coupled the barrels.

I had problems with the starter from day one when then the engine was hot. It would not spin. Got in the habit of parking on a hill facing down. Finally a small Porsche repair shop in CA when we were touring through on vacation told me he could fix it fast. Took one ball bearing out of the race. He said the ball bearings expanded when hot, and prevented the starter from spinning. He must have been right, as it never was a problem after that.

Hank
Old 12-16-2003, 06:15 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

ah yes, the hot start problem!!! i experienced that driving all the way across country.

you know what the trick to fix that is? a $15 vw relay that hooks up to the starter.

sounds like you had a hell of a life with that car!! those vent windows front, and back are a god send! i drove thorugh us 50 in nevada and wasnt even sweating much (it was well above 100), had the vents ripped open, and some dead playin pleanty of water, and i was pleanty comfortable.

so thats what the smugglers box is for!! i thought it was so you can open it up one day and find a big black widow in it.. (i know some one who did that actually..)
Old 12-16-2003, 07:38 PM
HankN
Intermediate

Porsche offered something called the Wabasco Gas heater. It burned gasoline, and from reports it really put out the heat. Almost a necessity in Germany. I was not aware of many that got ordered for the US. I just could not see lighting gasoline up front by the tank and my feet. Never heard of a problem with it.

We went all over the US and Canada in that 912. Never left us broke down anywhere, but it may have been touch and go a few times. I drove the heck out of it. Something to be said for a car with many parts interchanable with a VW beattle. Back in those days, lots of them on the road.

BTW, I have a number of friends in Columbus. I hope they catch that sniper nut real soon.

Hamk
Old 12-17-2003, 01:31 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

yeah i know of one car that has the gas heater; a 68 soft window targa, and that was one school of thought of what was supposed to go in there. i was just saying that confirms it.

yeah mein 912 never really broke down anywhere, but when i drove across country to a 912 registry gathering, it was running bad, and one guy checke it out said i needed a valve job. with out taking chances, i stayed in california an extra week so it could be done, and so i could get home with out blowing up the engine.

me too! the shootings are about 15 mions from where my parents live, and i have to take that section of 270 every time i go to see them.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:17 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Other ideas on the rust...

POR-15 is the right stuff. Sand the rust down and coat it with POR. After that is dry, stand it with something like 220-320. You can pick up chip guard at an automotive parts store to replicate the factory undercoating. After you apply the chip guard, you can paint it white again.

When you sand the area, outline it with duct tape to prevent the sandpaper from damaging the good areas. Make sure to feather the edges so there is a smooth transition. You should be able to blend everything together so it's hardly noticible.

Matt
Old 12-17-2003, 07:34 PM
HankN
Intermediate

Matt, I tend to agree that POR -15 is the way to go. I contacted Rhino Linings and they want $300 to do it and can not guarantee overspray. They just are not set up to do little jobs like this.

What color of the POR-15? It comes in four different ones. They say the silver has a lot of metal filler in it. Then there are two blacks and a gray. The color now in this area is basically white, but I sure have not Pantone'd it.

Hank
Old 12-20-2003, 10:07 AM
Mike Kast
Advanced

Is the spare mounted in the top of the gas tank like my SC? The undercoating on the outside of my SC's tank is Wurth stone guard. Its the same undercoating that is in the wheel wells and on the pan. It is sprayed on with a Wurth stone guard spray gun like a paint gun. It comes in white I believe but unless you were doing the whole tank (Out of the car) I don't think it would be worth it to spray. It can also be dabbed on with a brush but I don't think you could replicate the spray texture that way.
How do you think water got in there anyway? I'd try to find the cause of that problem while your at it. Do you have a bra on the car? It may be getting in that way if the hood is adjusted to accommodate the bra. I was getting water in my smugglers box because the drain line from the fresh air intake wasn't run through the drain hole. It was just dumping right into the box.
BTW. POR15 is great stuff but I have never left it as the finished product although you can. The sun changes its appearence but that won't be a problem under the spare.
I only see the stone guard here in grey
http://www.carcareonline.com/detail....oduct_id=11337
Old 12-20-2003, 11:37 AM
HankN
Intermediate

Mike,
Good point on the bra. Yes, I leave it on almost full time. I do not think the previous owner drove the car in the rain or anything. It was so pristine. To me, the car screams to be used (not abused), and I just love taking road trips, rain and all with it. Its my car and I am not saving it for someone else.

I have decided to go with the POR-15 with the goal of simply fixing the rust area. The spare covers it all up anyway, and the only time I have ever had the spare out was to use it when I had a flat out on the highway. (that is another long story).

I am really glad to get such great help and advice from this forum.

Hank
Old 12-20-2003, 01:02 PM
Mike Kast
Advanced

I haven't done it, But I wonder if you could tighten the hood down a little more to keep most of the water out? I have a bra too. It does mess up the seal but I get very little water in. I try to stay out of the rain though too. It's hard enough to keep all the nooks and cranies clean. I'm with you on the using it part! And as a matter of fact, I need to go play with her right now!

Quick Reply: How to fix rust spots in spare tire well