Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 940 Likes on 570 Posts

Hank,

I used the regular gloss black. Go all the way and do the chip coating and finish it white. It will be a nice little project and keep your car looking like new. You have all the support you need here on the forum.

Matt
Old 12-20-2003, 03:21 PM
HankN
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hood is already pretrty hard to latch with the bra, so I'd be reluctant to tighen it. Water could have gotten in when I removed the bra to take it to the car wash. I use an outfit called Southern Classic and they really do nice job. Machine wash followed by hand towel dry. They pre wash heavy soiled areas (like the underside of the whale tail) and do a great job with the vacuum.

And, the bra soaks up water like crazy in the rain. I could be water dripped in when I lifted the hood after a rain. I installed the heavy duty supports as the hood would not stay up if the bra was wet. Work great.

If you are going out for a ride, it is obviously nicer there than here. Couple inches of snow and temp in mid 20s. But, at least you do not suffer from the crummy AC in the car.
Hank
Old 12-20-2003, 08:10 PM
Mike Kast
Advanced

No salt on the roads here but it's cold. Actually I said play with her. I didn't go for much of a ride. I have been plagued by some CIS problems that after alot of work has now hopefully come down to some fine tuning of the fuel mix. I actually think I may have gotten it beat but I'm knocking on wood . Tonight I drive!

79 SC over 230,000 miles
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2003, 09:50 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While you are at it, it would be a great idea to pull out the battery and check that area out real well. A common problem involves seepage of battery acid, and this can cause extensive damage. My friend spent an arm and half a leg for a slope-nose turbo, and found out about this damage the hard way.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:19 AM
jcjblo
Intermediate

In my case the plastic tubing connectors on the windshield washer pump cracked with age and leaked washer fluid into the front portion of the trunk every time you use the washer - if you do not check your trunk regularly it will cause the rust problems from prolonged exposure to the fluid.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:16 PM
HankN
Intermediate

jcjblo,
Since this is a former Vancouver car, guess I better take a look at the washer lines. I have had to replace about half of those troublesome one way valves. You may even know this car. Being a non sunroof, it would be pretty rare.

You can not imagine the hassle I had registering here with the BC paperwork. Not the typical title.

Hank
Old 12-21-2003, 04:00 PM
Mike Kast
Advanced

You guys don't really spray wiper fluid on your pretty little cars do ya? Damn! I removed all of that stuff. I thought it was standard procedure like a pop off valve! Horse power by lightness. Anybody want some SC wiper fluid tanks? That spot is a dirt catcher as bad as the oil tank. but I kept the oil tank...
Old 12-21-2003, 04:33 PM
HankN
Intermediate

Guilty as charged, Mike. I even have the extra heavy duty washers as well as the normal ones. I sort of prefer to see where I am headed. So, two washer fluid tanks and three pumps (headlights too). I guess I have not noticed any damage from the washer fluid. I had considered adding the rear wiper, but it just looks too nerdy to me. Practial item, however.

My horsepower seems adequate. At least enough to be noticed by the state police in virtually every state the tires have touched. No, I can not win all the drags off the stop light, but that is OK. I will have a lot more fun driving through the mountains. Now, if I was only 40 years younger - a real chick car.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:27 PM
jcjblo
Intermediate

Hank
Hard to say if I recognise your car - there are a couple of independent dealers in Vancouver who routinely buy P-cars from auctions in Japan (87-89), and quite a number of them are sunroof delete ones. They all have very low mileage due to limited use in Japan. I know of at lease two sunroof delete coupes on sale right now.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:18 PM
HankN
Intermediate

My car was sold new by Forward Auto in Vancouver. The PCNA records confirm this was a Canadian car. Mine was owned by an airplane pilot in BC.

But, there are all sorts of fellows in the states who are looking for no sun roof cars. They just are rare in the US for the late model Carrera 911 with G50. The dealers in Vancouver need to get the cars for sale in front of the US market. I looked for five years, including sending a fax to every dealer in North America. And advertised in the Panorama.

Interesting about importing from Japan.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:25 PM
jcjblo
Intermediate

Hank
Check http://www.eurosportimports.com
They arte one of the dealers.
BTW, I have no relationship whatsoever with them

Quick Reply: How to fix rust spots in spare tire well