Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I am making reproduction Porsche engine cases!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 10:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6
I still don't understand why someone with deeper pockets hasn't either taken this over (bought him out) or started their own process from scratch.

Does the math really not pencil out?

I restore/re-anodize door frames among other things and am considering making new door hoops, at least to start, and am working on that math. Definitely daunting but at some point the math has to work.
I spoke out early on but I think this has run its course. IB should close this and do something but they won't.

What people don't understand is making a quality defect free casting like this isn't as easy as it looks and most foundries can't. I am knowledgeable in all sort of metal fabrication and foundry work like this takes more understanding than most anything else. His foundry was clueless and made my stomach turn as they made every novice mistake you can and although I tried to help him off line he refused my input. I had made engine cases before for the NASCAR truck series and rear shifter tail housings and transmission cases for the blackhawk/seahawk, Super Stallion and Chinook helicopters just to name a few. I had a side business making replacement parts for vintage race cars which is very difficult to do from an original since there is shrinkage to consider. I was going to start with making magnesium castings for a friends Dauer 962 project and 935 parts. Sadly that came to a crashing halt and was forced into early retirement with the sudden passing of my business partner.

I have a foundry that can make these and can do it in volume if needed but the time and money it would take is no longer of interest to me. To make these to the standards he was trying to pass them off as would take a considerably larger investment and extensive testing done by expensive labs. What it would cost to get where he did was IMO inflated but the actual testing that would be needed would be prohibitive at the price point and low volume he was trying to achieve.

Porsche is apparently making cases again for singer and I believe they are available again through classic. So I guess all we can do is learn and move on.
Old 06-11-2022, 09:36 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,924 Likes on 2,912 Posts

Just ran across this Thread.
Another Porsche thief - So many Porsche parts thieves were around during the height of the 356 era of the 1980's-90's.
No morals and stole from so many good people.

911 thief/guy in Keona BC Canada took huge deposits on early 911's and American Muscle Cars he didn't own from unsuspecting buyers who got screwed to the tune of close to $1,000,000
Stories in RL threads about this *****
These losers should have their ***** crushed in a vise
Sorry to hear these stories.

Last edited by groovzilla; 06-11-2022 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:32 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

It’s unfortunate, but as the saying goes ‘Caveat Emptor’.

The spirit of Rennlist as it was originally envisioned by its creator was to offer an online forum where technical issues/resolutions could be shared whilst creating a community that would share these things without fear of poaching or exploitation by unscrupulous vendors.

Sadly, now it seems all that is important is ad revenue which is dependent on forum traffic.
Old 06-13-2022, 11:07 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 727 Likes on 504 Posts

we will remove catorce if they have taken off with peoples' money and not delivered product. I have an outstanding PM to them, and have asked their account rep to also reach out. I note their account was active as of yesterday, I would hope we can get some communication from them so that we can try to assist, but it's been nearly a week since I reached out.
The following users liked this post:
Booth9999 (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 04:44 PM
Racer

Received 294 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
It’s unfortunate, but as the saying goes ‘Caveat Emptor’.

The spirit of Rennlist as it was originally envisioned by its creator was to offer an online forum where technical issues/resolutions could be shared whilst creating a community that would share these things without fear of poaching or exploitation by unscrupulous vendors.

Sadly, now it seems all that is important is ad revenue which is dependent on forum traffic.
I think there was adequate warning in August of 2017:

#1. So I just singed up for this vendor thing, but a day ago I was just an enthusiast like you. I have a few Porsches and I have been building the motors recreationally for over 20 years.

When it came time to build my 914-6 GT clone, I found it really difficult to source a 3.6 case because either they were being snapped up by Singer or other rabid enthusiasts for their builds.

I was offered burned motors, cracked cases, and all manner of cases that I would consider to be one step from the dumpster. Oh, and these cases were being offered at huge premiums to boot.

And the one time I found a serviceable case, It needed 4500 worth of machining to make that which was round round, and that which was flat, flat. There had to be a better way.

#5. I am tooling up right now for the 2.0, the 2.7, and the GT3/Turbo case as well. Goal is to sell these, street price under 5K. How much under I don't know right now since we aren't through the machining woods yet, but that is the idea.

If you are lucky enough to have a Porsche 3.6 case right now, you get to choose whether to dump money into it for machining, or just keep it for posterity and buy one of these, that will be ready to go right out of the box and widely available.

No more WTB ads, no more burned engines, cracked cases, etc.

The only reproduction 3.6 flat six engine cases on the planet
www.taorminaracingdesigns.com

Old 06-16-2022, 10:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Under $5k is quite ambitious if you are not doing high volume? The casting alone should run you at least $1500 a side assuming it is made in the US.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:50 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

we have not heard back from the OP yet.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:46 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb M.
we will remove catorce if they have taken off with peoples' money and not delivered product. I have an outstanding PM to them, and have asked their account rep to also reach out. I note their account was active as of yesterday, I would hope we can get some communication from them so that we can try to assist, but it's been nearly a week since I reached out.
great to see some involvement by the IB team Rob.
Old 06-16-2022, 02:28 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

@Catorce last chance, please provide an update in this thread. you have 24 hours.
The following 2 users liked this post by Robb M.:
Jay Wellwood (06-22-2022), Ralph3. (06-19-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 11:20 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

The following 3 users liked this post by theiceman:
ab1752 (06-18-2022), gdp_samson (06-21-2022), Jay Wellwood (06-18-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 04:57 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,171 Likes on 609 Posts

We get phone calls regularly from people looking for Adam, his cases, and their money.

Apparently they have cases or so his machinist's IG account reports:

https://bit.ly/3RHeS4f

But still emails go unanswered or bounce and voicemail boxes are full as of this afternoon.

I recommend anyone considering doing business with this guy does their homework.

He has thousands of our dollars which he promised to return to us and did not.

Last edited by Charles Navarro; 10-06-2022 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:02 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

TBH if this clown had my money I would be tracking him down and having a very direct face to face resolution with him. the only other recourse is a law suit.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:27 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

Last edited by Igooz; 10-08-2022 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:45 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Well at least IB brought down the Ban hammer so he cant dupe anyone else here.

Old 10-07-2022, 10:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Not sure why this thread hasn't been closed?

I called it and stated this time and time again. He had no clue to what he was doing focusing on all the wrong things when making a quality casting. When he started taking money for the cases and the total sales covered what he claimed he had into the project I figured he was getting out. No foundry control or proper testing of the castings. Selling a quality level he could not prove. He switched processes after he got his money and then I suspect he had issues. 100% core sand casting has an entirely different set of problems over green sand. I could see it all unfolding but tried not to step on his toes. He did come out on other threads and he made stuff up as he went along.

I had discussed him with Spyerx who was going to visit him just before the S4!t hit the fan and I expressed I thought he was going to do this before it happened. I am not sure why so many are confused by it. Everyone was so impressed but if you know foundry work you knew he was bound to fail.

IB can we please shut this down.

Quick Reply: I am making reproduction Porsche engine cases!