Sponsored by:

Silver Crest for steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:31 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MARK993C2S
I recieved the crest purchased off ebay $25.00, love it canceled the one from performance. All I had to do is cut the post off the back with a dremel tool and applied it to the new wheel with 3m double sided tape. looks really nice. I guess if the air bag ever deploys I'll send picks of my new tattoo.
Mark,

Received mine as well...a bit of curve to the metal. How well does it match to the curve of the steering wheel face? Can you see the 3M tape and does it appear to be solidly in place? Thanks in advance.

~Dave
Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 PM
MARK993C2S
Intermediate

Dave, after I cut the post off I laid it down on my vice flat surface put the towel over it and used a rubber mallet with a mild direct hit. Two easy hits made for perfect fit. It lays perfect on the wheel no tape showing. I'm getting ready to add all my photo's, I will list it under a new thread with similar topic heading. Check out the photo's let me know what you think.
Good luck, it really was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks
Mark
Old 04-28-2010, 09:10 AM
MARK993C2S
Intermediate

Default Finished Product

Installed I really like the feel of this wheel.
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2010, 11:27 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mark-- ^^ Nice!

FWIW: Related 2006 installation by RLer Marc Shaw on the 964 forum, but no mention of the crest's source: "Living Dangerously."

Note his tach, too

Old 05-29-2010, 05:23 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

OK, some more info on this;

Porsche do not sell the badges, they only come complete with the air bag

There is a silver/black crested air bag # 996803980038YR (thats for black but they are available in 7 colours) it retails at £586 so about $800 I would guess

The small crest badges are 356 hood handle type ones, there are 2 versions, a curved one that fits nicely into the curved handle on the hood of a 356 and also a flat derivative of the same. Im not too sure what this version was ever for, it probably just got spawned from peoples need fo a flat badge for hubcaps etc

The 3 spoke air bag crest fited at the factory has a stud on the back and then a tight washer holding it down. The air bag cover does come off the actual air bag (it unclips all the way around) and so could be easily swapped for a different crest, although it can be worked off from the front carefully. This crest is designed to stay on the air bag cover when it goes off, a glued on one may not! This is what the reverse looks like;

The red and black crests with the silver instead of gold are just normal badges that have been chromed. I think Boothe Design were one of the first if not the inventor of this look about 6 odd years ago. It didnt last long as he had visits from the Porsche Police and had to stop
Old 02-11-2011, 02:04 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone order an extra? I contacted eBay vendor "pimpPride" / ISPwest VWparts, but no helpful information whatsoever. A RLer friend who purchased from them had no luck, either.

For a non-steering wheel project, I'm looking for a similar small silver badge. Red & silver's fine, too (if I could find one). I've PMed Marc Shaw regarding where he got his; see above post.

Really appreciate any referrals to a confirmed vendor or a RLer with a small silver crest available

Originally Posted by Garth S

I picked up a silver crest on ebay: a very quality piece, installation was a breeze. Appears an OE part

Originally Posted by daveHy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...ltDomainQ5f100

these must be close, small 356 crest?

Originally Posted by JPP

Dude, that's it! only $25

Originally Posted by MARK993C2S

I recieved the crest off ebay $25.00, love it.

Originally Posted by SCMomentum

Received mine as well.

Quick Reply: Silver Crest for steering wheel