Sponsored by:

I bought it -- I drove it -- I crashed it

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:07 AM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought it -- I drove it -- I crashed it

I have had my 996 for about 4 months now, and have enjoyed every minute of it. Got snow tires to take me through the winter, but from testing the car in parking lots, and around the neighborhood, I know that the car is a bit squirrely in the snow. So, I have tried to be careful, and not do anything too hazardous to my health.

Last night we had about 4 inches of snow. Had no problems getting out of the driveway (I planned on shoveling later) and headed to the southwest burbs for a meeting. The meeting went well, and I was heading home, about 5 miles from the house when I came upon a team of snow plows. The tollway was 4 lanes wide, and the trucks were running on the right hand three lanes. Cars were slipping by on the left, and I decided that rather than wait and follow them at 40 mph till my exit several miles ahead, I would drive past them.

I pulled into the left hand lane, and started to make my approach. As I got even with the plows, my rear tires hit the bunch of slush that they were pushing into the left lane. I felt the tires start to slip, and backed off the gas. The car started to fishtail a bit, and I brought it under control. Then, as I moved forward, I started to fishtail again.

I looked over to my left to see a semi bearing down on me. He hit me on the left front wheel, and spun my car around in the other direction. I got slingshot across four lanes of traffic to come to rest, nearly as if I had parked it, on the right hand shoulder, facing in the right direction, just off the highway.

I was really lucky on a number of counts. The semi hit my front fender. If he had hit my driver's door, I would probably have been in sad shape. As I was bounced across the traffic lanes, there were no cars or trucks in my way, I had (not to try to characterize this as anything but scary) clear sailing across to the shoulder.

I took a number of pictures of the car before the tow truck came. Then I went to a body shop that had done work for me on my '73. He thought it would be about $12K in repairs (yes I have insurance - $500 deductible.) Said that it would take about 5 weeks to get it done.

So, here are some pictures of the damage.

And the truck didn't get away scot free. He ended up being towed as well. Those Porsches are tough little cars!!

Then, as we were waiting for the trooper to finish the paperwork, the truck driver came up to me with a card he wanted me to sign. It said, "The truck driver had nothing to do with the accident." (or something like that) Uhhh, no thanks, I won't sign it. Why? Because the truck driver hit ME. He was at fault.

For right now, I have some bruised ribs on the left hand side. It will probably take a good 4 weeks for them to heal. Unfortunately, I have had experience with bruised ribs like this. But, that's the least of my problems. I am not complaining. Wifey gave me a big I Told You So!! Thanks, babe, I appreciate the comforting words.

larry
Attached Images      

Last edited by larry47us; 01-13-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:16 AM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow, very sad to hear this, at least you got away with only bruised ribs.

Now you can put in clears instead of pumpkins, and get Litronics headlights.

I'd had my scary moments in roads leading to skifield in my 5 series. Since then I always take shuttles going to and from skifields.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:18 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you're OK. Sorta glad my car is in the shop with this ****ty weather...I won't be tempted to get it out in this crap.

Is that an Autozone trailer? Ironic.

I hope you have a speedy recovery, sorry to hear about your car.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:32 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to hear about your incident. Very glad to see you are lucky on that one.

Weird that the car lost control. I assume the snow plow must be building all kind of snow accumulation along them when they drive.

That is why they built the C4 I assume.

I bet it will drive even faster when it fixed...if you install clear side markers
Old 01-12-2011, 02:42 AM
MetBlk 911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, what a story, the impact of which I think was enhanced by the fact that I had the Tron soundtrack playing in the background as I read it. Lots of ominous themes in this musical score that really fit the situation.

Glad you're in relatively good shape. It seems things could have been much worse.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:51 AM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear that you are ok! After all it's all that counts

The damage on the car looks much more expensive than 12k?
It seem's that the whole frame is bent.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:25 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to hear your OK Larry. Good luck with sorting it all out. Who knows they may write it off and then you'd have the option to buy it back and part it.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:26 AM
wtfpenguin
Instructor

i would try to get the car totalled, wait a few years for your insurance rates to drop and get into a 997 c4
Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh my, what a story. Thankfully you weren't hurt worse, that semi certainly could have dealt out more damage. Too bad about your Porsche, hope it all works out for you.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Kazual99
Pro

Glad you are okay. Your 997 plan sounds solid.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Larry, sorry to hear about the accident. I'm glad you are OK. It could have been a lot worse. 12K for repairs? I am guessing your insurance company might total it.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:54 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Larry, that pains me to see. Glad you are OK. I got out of town this week before the crazy stuff started.

Who are you planning to use for the repair? I hear great stuff about a guy in Lake Bluff. Ultimate Paint, Joe Young, 847-295-7404 , the Porsche Exchange uses them, and other high end car companies up on the north shore. Good luck.

Last edited by No HTwo O; 01-12-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:06 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, that sucks. Hope for a speedy recovery for you and the car!

By the way, what kind of tires were you running?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Ouch! Very glad you are here to talk about it. Did your airbags blow? I'm thinking your car is a goner....no way is that a 12K repair. My Aero decklid repair job is $8200 (for a decklid?).

I'm sorry but I think you put yourself in a 'not so good situation' with 'not so good results'.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you're safe. You can always fix stuff, or buy another.

Quick Reply: I bought it -- I drove it -- I crashed it