Sponsored by:

Membership required? Really?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 05:37 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Membership required? Really?

Back when our $35 went directly to John D. to help offset some of his costs of running the board, our membership fees were a no-brainer, and indeed "the best $35 I ever spent on my car."

I read about some recent poor customer service received by a poster from the new management. Now that memberships get dumped into some general corporate revenue fund, does it really make a difference? I'm asking in the context of some members jumping on non-members to join. Nowadays, does it make a difference?

While none of us have a problem with the $35 per se, it's the principle. Clearly, the advertising load has grown, so the threat of that has come to pass, so....?
Old 11-03-2008, 05:40 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear you... I haven't decided if I'll re-up when the time comes or not. I suspect the membership fees IB makes off of this are minor compared to the advertising revenue.

Does anyone know how many of the other sites they own charge a membership fee? I suspect not many, but don't know for sure.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The value of this site, to me, has not changed.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:50 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 474 Posts

I find it harder to justify sending the $$ to IB as they have taken over something that was built and established by John D AND IT'S MEMBERS. There are many members here that made this site what it is, the people who post extremely detailed DIYs for example. The site has proved to be a tremendous source for people like myself and has saved me many $$$$ over the past few years. I'm sure IB makes quite enough from advertising without charging membership.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:09 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bull
The value of this site, to me, has not changed.
Originally Posted by timothymoffat
There are many members here that made this site what it is, the people who post extremely detailed DIYs for example. The site has proved to be a tremendous source for people like myself and has saved me many $$$$ over the past few years.
Please don't confuse the price of the membership and the value of RL/993. You guys are the best. I can't imagine a more supportive place for any other car model. Plus the fact that we actually put down the mouse from time to time to get together face to face to drink beer and drop transmissions (not neccessarily in that order!)
Old 11-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure how you separate "price" from "value". To me, "value" is similar to WWPF (worth what paid for), so I evaluate value based on what I paid (or need to pay in the future) for something. The price hasn't changed and what I get for the price hasn't changed...so no change in value to me.

If to whom you pay the price matters, just consider the money paid for membership to be going towards covering the purchase price already paid to John D., and you are indirectly paying John!
Old 11-03-2008, 06:55 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 351 Posts

I've never understood the concept that paying a fee, no matter how large or small, to an individual/small business is different than paying a fee to a large(r) corporate entity. What's the difference between paying John and paying IB? Does it matter that we paid John and he didn't make money and IB does (I assume)?

Personally, I've noticed virtually no difference in the way the site works. Yeah, there are more advertisements, but they're really fairly unobtrusive and in no way interfere with the utility of the site.

Yes, having been a member for only 2 1/2 years, I don't have the time/effort/emotional investment that some of you "older" guys do, but I really wonder why there is an ongoing kind of anger directed at the current owners. All they did was purchase the site from a willing seller. Now, they're trying to make a few bucks off of it. Is that so bad? In all of my history books, that's the "American way."

When I owned my 550 Spyder, I was a paying member on two Spyder sites and they both operated about like this one does....In the end, it's the members that make (or break) the site. I suppose if enough folks walk away, then the site will fail, but who wins when that happens?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I really don't understand the push only to help "members" & chastising non-members. That was the way I was welcomed with my first post to RL over a year ago.

John D is out of it, has already been paid & has moved on. This board is the only one that I have ever known to charge any fee for members.

They make a ton on Adds, it's thousands a year to have your banner at the top of the page. IB is the largest internet forum company around. They have been buying up every board they can.

I don't use the hosting, or other benefit, all I do is post, get help & try to help when I can.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:34 PM
dcdude
Drifting

I, for one, am not angry, nor do I propose that any one walk away.

My expectation is that if we're now on an "ad supported" model that the "memberships" element of the revenue stream may be a windfall. I don't know this. However, if memberships are required to keep this business afloat then by all means, they should stay and even be adjusted, as-needed.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a very new member of this site, but in that short time I have been helped immensely by the people here. I've found Rennlisters to be some of the most friendly and knowledgeable Porsche enthusiasts anywhere, and I feel my membership $$$ were well spent. Could I get just as much out of the site without being a member? Maybe, but I felt that becoming a member would help support the site financially and prove to the more established members that I'm serious about being part of this community and I'm not just here to freeload. I personally think it's a small price to pay...
Old 11-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Firstly it is 17.95 not 35 bucks which was for two years. This is still the best site on the net and I thanks my popup blocker, but I have not seen any of the ads some complain about. If I did I'd find them less annoying that the myriad political threads in OT.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:00 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not saying I'm leaving BTW... just hope IB thinks about the payed membership part of it. It's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but the value I get out of the additional "paid" benefits are potentially losing their luster for me.

Perhaps it's how OT has gotten completely taken over by politics that has be in this mindset, but I'm having second thoughts about it. I honestly have no idea when my membership is up either.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:04 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by logan2z
Maybe, but I felt that becoming a member would help support the site financially and prove to the more established members that I'm serious about being part of this community and I'm not just here to freeload. I personally think it's a small price to pay...
This reminds me of an important principle in advertising media which I'm embarassed that I neglected to consider. It's called "paid circulation" vs. "complimentary subscriptions." A high percentage of paid subscribers is usually indicative of a high quality, actively involved subscriber base. That definitely describes us, so it's in our best interest to keep it that way.

"Pass along" is also a component of circulation. This refers to when you steal a copy of Field and Stream at the barber shop, or when your wife's friend brings over a bag full of Us Weekly and People (AKA "chick news") They're all counted in the circulation for that book.

So I sort of answered my own question. Thank you for your patience and attention. Sorry for the interruption. Back to your regularly-scheduled Mondays.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:04 PM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yeah, i"m still waiting for my membership package

Hope it comes in my lifetime
Old 11-03-2008, 09:39 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 94 Posts

Still waiting as well. Joined a few weeks back and havent heard a thing despite 3 emails to the IB admin. I was at least hoping for a membership number so i could post some picture about a problem i am having.

Hopefully someone that has already taken my money gets back to me. Dont have an issue paying but they should at least deliver whats promised. Otherwise the info available on this site is fabulous.

Quick Reply: Membership required? Really?