Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Membership required? Really?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I concur,this is the only site I know you have to pay for. While I enjoy the site, I do not think it is worth paying for, especially with all the advertisements.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:16 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I just joined a couple of weeks ago and I received my membership #/PDF member card on 10/29, along with an apology for the delay due to a large number of renewals that needed processing. So it looks like they are working their way through the recent set of registrations.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:41 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I just renewed myself and received an e-mail a few days later saying they received money and they think it was from me, but were not 100% sure and could I confirm. I confirmed and then heard back about a week in a half later that all was good, so things are slow with registrations/renewals now. I for one love this site and think $17.95 is a great investment for the pleasure it provides me.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:45 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I joined about during the transition and never received an e-mail or card with my member number or sticker (what sticker?). I just chalked it up to transition problems. They did however manage to charge my CCard right away though.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:48 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree that the price relative to the tremendous value I have gotten from RL is a no brainer. That said, to join or not to join, given the current ownership, is of course a personal decision. My only suggestion is that members don't need to admonish non-members about paying. That would seem like the role of IB to market its site and we should focus on keeping this a great place to share are love of Porsches. just my $.02

Last edited by stace; 11-04-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:51 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stace
I agree that the price relative to the tremendous value I have gotten from RL is a no brainer. That said, to join or not to join, give the current ownership, is of course a personal decision. My only suggestion is that members don't need to admonish non-members about paying. That would seem like the role of IB to market its site and we should focus on keeping this a great place to share are love of Porsches. just my $.02
[hijack] Sweet car! I don't think I've seen it in my time here, but I like it! [\hijack]
Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree that the price relative to the tremendous value I have gotten from RL is a no brainer. That said, to join or not to join, give the current ownership, is of course a personal decision. My only suggestion is that members don't need to admonish non-members about paying. That would seem like the role of IB to market its site and we should focus on keeping this a great place to share are love of Porsches. just my $.02
I had to get the dictionary out for admonish
Anyway, I don't mind paying the few bucks to be part of this site. Like others, the advise I have had is awesome, and no one judges anyone either.
This is a great place. Pure and simple. I have never seen a better site.
Who is IB anyway?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:05 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks Patrick for the comments. the slippery slope knows no end.

this is a great place - on that we all agree!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:35 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For gods sake, this site is invaluable to a 993 owner and if they charge for a membership so be it. It's still less than one fill up in my 993 so it's not a financial deal breaker either..........My02c
Old 11-04-2008, 05:00 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I can pay for 72 years of RennList for the price of a new set of Hoosiers.
Wish I hadn't just thought of that...
Old 11-04-2008, 05:10 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't come around often but I'd still pay my dues because I get to hear you girls complain.

It's worth my money.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:35 PM
LanCat
Intermediate

I think that's exactly how I feel.

When this place was run by enthusiasts then encouraging people to sign up made sense. Now it's a commercial venture it's up to the owners to encourage any sign up and to offer "extra value" to those who do. I think anyone admonishing "non-subscribers" nowadays is overstepping the mark.

No criticism of IB intended.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:35 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

I feel the price is well worth it, but...
it does feel different giving the funds to a corporate entity, instead of the true Porsche enthusiast that started it. I would also like to know who this IB is.
I also feel it shows that I am serious and involved.
As for the ads, I never knew there ever were any. Glad I'm a Mac.

Good thread, Chuck. When do you move to PDX?
Old 11-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,173 Likes on 1,834 Posts

Regardless of who is running RL, how they run it or how many ads I see, the value or RL for me is in the quality of its members and to me, that's worth much more than a measly $17/yr.

IMO, the membership fee attracts quality, committed members. I also visit a certain free Audi forum and I see very high "member" turnover and too many kids getting in pissing matches over how dark to tint their tail lights. I'm sure it would work better if some of those members were discouraged by having to pay a fee.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bluejam
I feel the price is well worth it, but...
it does feel different giving the funds to a corporate entity, instead of the true Porsche enthusiast that started it. I would also like to know who this IB is.
I also feel it shows that I am serious and involved.
As for the ads, I never knew there ever were any. Glad I'm a Mac.

Good thread, Chuck. When do you move to PDX?
Internet Brands is fairly well known and searchable.

I don't see any ads on my PC either, except the headers at the top of each forum.

Quick Reply: Membership required? Really?