Sponsored by:

Membership required? Really?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:08 PM
ste993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Floodj
I concur,this is the only site I know you have to pay for. While I enjoy the site, I do not think it is worth paying for, especially with all the advertisements.
Mine just lapsed and I'm trying to decide whether to re-new or not. Personally I was happy to contribute to the maintenance and hosting, etc. of rennlist before... not sure if I feel the same way now it's in the hands of IB who make money hand over fist from advertising revenues. JMO.

I have however always thought it was odd that ones credibility seems to be viewed as less by members to those who are not. That's a little silly to me.... we're all enthusiasts looking to be part of a community of individuals with similar interests. A little snobby I feel?
Old 11-04-2008, 07:19 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried to join this site several times. Apparently the only way to join/pay is thru Pay Pal. I don't have a Pay Pal account and don't plan to get one. I am new to the 993 crowd and find this site priceless. Heck, I got my $17.95 worth on my first diy project. If you can afford to own a 993, the cost to be a member to this forum gets lost in the noise...

I never understood why folks jump on other folks in forums like these. And it's not just the 993s, or Porsche....Audiworld is the same way. Not everyone lives and breathes 993s, Porshes or Audi S4s....

In my mind the folks that stand out in these forums (which is most of you ...thank you) take the high road and help the noobs...even if the topic has beat to death...hey what kind of oil do you guys like?

I would probably post more if i did not feel like I was freeloading. I'm just waiting for someone to pounce because I'm a "USER"

There must me another way to join/pay
Old 11-04-2008, 07:28 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
I have tried to join this site several times. Apparently the only way to join/pay is thru Pay Pal. I don't have a Pay Pal account and don't plan to get one.
You don't actually need a PayPal account to join. You can simply pay with your credit card. The wording on the 'membership' page is a bit misleading, but just click through to the point that it asks you to enter your CC information and you won't require a PayPal account. I joined recently and I didn't use my PayPal account to pay.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:38 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Funny this thread should come up cause I was just wondering the same myself. Been occupied with moving and job related stuff for a few months have not had much time to hang out here. Now that life is settling down a bit I've started being more active again but immediately noticed the ads.

I can relate to the the price vs. value issue. It felt more like I was making a difference by contributing my membership fee before the sale. I wanted to give back something and also to ensure the site stayed around. This is the only car forum I hang out on and really hope we don't loose the "essence" that is this board. I think the "encouragement" we gave to non-members to join is probably no longer appropriate but on the other hand I hope we retain the esprit de corp that has made this place special.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:29 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by prshguy
I can relate to the the price vs. value issue. It felt more like I was making a difference by contributing my membership fee before the sale. I wanted to give back something and also to ensure the site stayed around. This is the only car forum I hang out on and really hope we don't loose the "essence" that is this board. I think the "encouragement" we gave to non-members to join is probably no longer appropriate but on the other hand I hope we retain the esprit de corp that has made this place special.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:50 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bluejam
I feel the price is well worth it, but...
it does feel different giving the funds to a corporate entity, instead of the true Porsche enthusiast that started it. I would also like to know who this IB is.
I also feel it shows that I am serious and involved.
As for the ads, I never knew there ever were any. Glad I'm a Mac.

Good thread, Chuck. When do you move to PDX?
Sorry for the hijacl, but what an awesome picture. How the hell did you get permission to do that?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:11 PM
scat
Racer

My membership is about to expire and I will probably keep it that way...
Old 11-05-2008, 01:45 AM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

If you are seeing ads, you are using the wrong browser. With FireFox and associated plug-ins. I didn't even know there were ads on this site.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding the "encouragement to join" issue, I too think it is inappropriate at this time.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:50 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Sorry for the hijacl, but what an awesome picture. How the hell did you get permission to do that?
Jody works for a Major Cargo Company and as far as the airport goes, he has crazy clearance, Clarence.

Originally Posted by X2Board
If you are seeing ads, you are using the wrong browser. With FireFox and associated plug-ins. I didn't even know there were ads on this site.
When I say "ads," I'm just referring to the web banners over the top of the forums. Sorry for the ad man jargon.

Originally Posted by Bull
Regarding the "encouragement to join" issue, I too think it is inappropriate at this time.
That was really the most important point I was trying to get at.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:28 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by X2Board
Hey...where u surfaced from?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:37 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems that the question in the Post John and Jenn era is: What do you get for your $17.95/year?
There are some member only features on RL. If you don't want those... well...

I'll probably continue to renew just so I am not labelled a "super-user"
Old 11-07-2008, 03:01 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Default No longer a "user"

Originally Posted by logan2z
You don't actually need a PayPal account to join. You can simply pay with your credit card. The wording on the 'membership' page is a bit misleading, but just click through to the point that it asks you to enter your CC information and you won't require a PayPal account. I joined recently and I didn't use my PayPal account to pay.

Thanks Logan
Old 11-07-2008, 06:59 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
Thanks Logan
Glad to help, looks like it worked.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:38 AM
grwoolf
Racer

I just signed up as a member since it looks like most people active on these boards are. Stupidly, I didn't even understand that I wasn't a member, I thought it was a function of number of posts or something until someone suggested I get a membership. I've gotten huge value from rennlist over the last couple months as I've searched for my first 993. I expect that to continue as I maintain and upgrade the car, so the $17 is insignificant vs. the value, but I'm still not clear on what changes. I am an active member on a couple other forums and this is the only one I have encountered where the majority seem to pay for the premium membership and I'm still not clear what the added features are (maybe I'm just missing something). If it takes $17 to show a small level of committment to the community, OK, but I would hope the real committment is shown by people that contribute valuable content on the site (whether they are members or users). There seem to be a lot of those type of people on the site and I hope I can contribute value as well.

On a related note, I know a little about the finances behind community web sites and it usually is about # of members and hits which drives ad $'s (once the site is established). The best thing you can do to keep the lights on is stay active and support the sponsors. I've bought a bunch of stuff from Tire Rack, Pelican, and Detailers Domain this month mostly based on good reviews, but also because I think of them as "local" businesses. Much bigger impact to the upkeep of this site over the course of a year than my $17 I would imagine.

Quick Reply: Membership required? Really?