993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Membership required? Really?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008 | 11:47 AM
cmoss

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Back when our $35 went directly to John D. to help offset some of his costs of running the board, our membership fees were a no-brainer, and indeed "the best $35 I ever spent on my car."

I read about some recent poor customer service received by a poster from the new management. Now that memberships get dumped into some general corporate revenue fund, does it really make a difference? I'm asking in the context of some members jumping on non-members to join. Nowadays, does it make a difference?

While none of us have a problem with the $35 per se, it's the principle. Clearly, the advertising load has grown, so the threat of that has come to pass, so....?
I, for one, will not be renewing my membership.
Old 02-10-2010 | 03:03 PM
vipola
Racer

Originally Posted by grwoolf
On a related note, I know a little about the finances behind community web sites and it usually is about # of members and hits which drives ad $'s (once the site is established). The best thing you can do to keep the lights on is stay active and support the sponsors. I've bought a bunch of stuff from Tire Rack, Pelican, and Detailers Domain this month mostly based on good reviews, but also because I think of them as "local" businesses. Much bigger impact to the upkeep of this site over the course of a year than my $17 I would imagine.
I agree with this..

It's funny because there is bunch of peoples here who written over a year ago that they wouldn't renew their membership, but most of them did anyway..

I loved the question about: what do you GET for a membership??

I was searching around to find what 'advantage' does we get with the, and didn't find the info.. can someone give me the advantage? thanks
Old 02-10-2010 | 03:13 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Old 02-10-2010 | 03:22 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

If the majority quit paying and some of the advertisers went away, so would this site.
That would be a damn shame.
Why be a tight *** when you can afford it? If you can't afford the dues, then you are probably the same guy who bitches about gas prices, mpg,and the cost of oil.
There are always who pride themselves on mooching off the backs of others.
As the saying goes" Nothing worth having is free".
Old 02-10-2010 | 04:13 PM
verhag
Pro

Maybe the best $17 or $35 whatever, I've ever spent in my life. All I have to do is take a peak in the garage now and then to confirm.....not to mention the instant online help and assistance available to me, not to mention the great people I have already met face to face as a result of joining.

No brainer. Great value.
Old 02-10-2010 | 05:29 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Guys, this comes up from time to time. Rennlist was and to a great extent is still a user supported site. If you look at other sites owned by IB such as 6speedonline you will see ads, lots and lots of ads.

Not only is the content on Rennlist invaluable, the sense of community and the freedom from pop up ads, banners in the middle of forums etc. makes the small membership fee worth while I think. When John D sold Rennlist, IB made a decision not to change the character of the place. I believe they have lived up to that promise.

To those of you who support this site with membership, my thanks and gratitude because you are helping ensure we remain as we were and are.

Best,
Old 02-10-2010 | 05:56 PM
DanL993
button queen

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by logan2z
I'm a very new member of this site, but in that short time I have been helped immensely by the people here. I've found Rennlisters to be some of the most friendly and knowledgeable Porsche enthusiasts anywhere, and I feel my membership $$$ were well spent. Could I get just as much out of the site without being a member? Maybe, but I felt that becoming a member would help support the site financially and prove to the more established members that I'm serious about being part of this community and I'm not just here to freeload. I personally think it's a small price to pay...
+1 to everything here.
Old 02-10-2010 | 10:56 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by air eater
Why be a tight *** when you can afford it?
That's what I'm talkin' about! Seems folks can pay a small fortune for whale skin seats with factory-installed ******, but can't spring a measly $35 a year to support the most comprehensive source of knowledge about the cars we drive. If you don't believe it, go out to the Pelican site and see how many times someone asks a question only to have someone else say, "Check the Rennlist board..."
Old 02-10-2010 | 11:05 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

I may be wrong here, but I thought the membership fee went to Rennwish. I got a receipt as a donation to Rennwish in the amount of the membership to use for my taxes. Besides the donation I made directly to Rennwish for the recent 2010 Buy a Bandage campaign, I never sent anything to Rennwish.

So, did our fees when John owned the site go as a donation to Rennwish? That's what it sounds like(?) And will IB pass on those fees to Rennwish?
Old 02-11-2010 | 10:04 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Someone had asked what the bennefit of joining Rennlist as member would be. I think there is the MEMBER TO MEMBER classifieds, but I do not remember getting my secret RL membership card and x-ray spy glass de-coder. Oh well.
My 2Cents...I think large corporations have provided huge benefits to many people in this country and around the world. On the other hand, the corporate mentality often is lacking in ethics, good old fashioned human morality and certainly personal passion for anything....unless there is something to gain. Then they act as if they have saved the world with generosity by donating to charities and causes with BIG CORPORATE BANNERS to alert everyone that they are saving the world.
Still, we cough up the bucks to get what we want...food, energy and goodies...lots of goodies. It is part of our the hypocrisy that we will pay the man and get our goodies. I am part of that game as we all are, even reluctantly in many cases.
I am a member, and I love this place and the people who freely donate their time and knowledge to help others, like me. I pay and will pay when the clock rings twelve again. Even though I know I am supporting the corporation, the corporation has provided a good place for people who do have passion for the "sport" to come together and share...especially since RL remains pretty unchanged since IB came along. Are you listening IB? Having RL is a huge part of owning and sharing the 993 experience for me.
Old 02-11-2010 | 11:31 AM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

For what its worth. Net-based ad revenue has PLUMMETED across the board. Every sector, in every configuration. Anybody in the business of making money displaying ads has suffered a dramatic change in revenue to the tune of 20-75% in the past 24 months.

That being said, my RL membership has paid for itself 100x. Until you consider the cost of my car, which i may not have purchased without all of you folks.
Old 02-11-2010 | 01:41 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TMc993
... folks can pay a small fortune for whale skin seats with factory-installed ******...
Pure Georgia gold!

Andreas
Old 02-11-2010 | 01:46 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TMc993
whale skin seats with factory-installed ******
Do you have a part number for these? I can't find them in PET.
Old 02-11-2010 | 01:51 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Do you have a part number for these? I can't find them in PET.
I heard LAPD has a set on Evilbay with a $12,999 Buy It Now!
Old 02-11-2010 | 02:09 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

How about the guys that have been "addicts" for years.

Lent other addicts tools to install high performance ****** to never see the tools again.

Help other addicts install all kinds of leather straps, studs, whale skin, lizzard toes and dilldos.

Host addict gang bangs

Spend over a hundred grand with site sponsors

Then only to return for a time away to be called a "USER"

Maybe it should be changed from "USER/Addict" to Thief/Customer, call a spade a spade.

How about the hobby ***** sponsors being banned when they no longer want to sponsor/sell these items?

Other forums im a paying member of don't even lable the members, which I think is more tactful.
Another one labels member/supporting member.. which I also think is more tactful.

Quick Reply: Membership required? Really?