Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4RS clicks when turning

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 08:55 PM
baso
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT4RS clicks when turning

Hi guys, I need your help and advice!

While driving at any speed, when I turn right from 30 to 100% steering wheel I hear a clicking sound from the front left wheel.

1. When the car is hotter, the clicking noise is heard more strongly.
2. There is no noise when driving straight or backwards.
3. The front left wheel only clicks when turning right.
4. The right front wheel is silent.
5. Depending the faster the speed, the more repeated clicks noise.
6. CL was tightened (600 Nm) several times and Molub-Alloy paste was changed.
7. Wheels swapped left with right.
8. Checked all the elements under the arch, nothing is healing.
9. The mating surface of the wheel and brake disc was cleaned
10. No stones in rotor e.t.c

My car:
Full stock
EU GT4RS
10/2023 prod
PCCB
WP
OEM Alloy wheels
1500 km

Anyone have the same problem?

https://youtube.com/shorts/w9yldHfDquU?si=C_m2YUHD9rNjwByQ

Last edited by baso; 06-25-2024 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Add link to video
Old 06-25-2024, 10:51 PM
Snowy999
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

check inner wheel weights aren't touching anything. not 4RS but GT4 and this was my problem too. moved wheel weight and the air deflector it touched.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:09 PM
Wei718
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 52 Posts

Not sure if this helps, check your coil springs to see if there’s loose rocks and debris stuck on there.

Old 06-26-2024, 03:55 AM
baso
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Snowy999
check inner wheel weights aren't touching anything. not 4RS but GT4 and this was my problem too. moved wheel weight and the air deflector it touched.
Originally Posted by Wei718
Not sure if this helps, check your coil springs to see if there’s loose rocks and debris stuck on there.

I’ll check both tips tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2024, 05:20 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 956 Likes on 406 Posts

This may not be the same issue, but my friend put 255 width tires on the front of his RS, and he noticed a clicking sound coming from his front passenger wheel well when turning. The sound got progressively worse, and could be heard even at slow speeds (around a parking lot).

We found the tire was rubbing up against some of the ducting in the front wheel well, and broke the duct and lining around it—causing the broken plastic to cause a clicking sound when hitting the tire. We found it because it was pretty easy to see from the outside when the car was turning in the parking lot, and the trim and ducting was coming in contact with the tire.

Last edited by KelvinC; 06-26-2024 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-26-2024, 05:35 AM
baso
6th Gear

Originally Posted by KelvinC
This may not be the same issue, but my friend up 255 width tires on the front of his RS, and he noticed a clicking sound coming from his front passenger wheel well when turning. The sound got progressively worse, and could be heard even at slow speeds (around a parking lot).

We found the tire was rubbing up against some of the ducting in the front wheel well, and broke the duct and lining around it—causing the broken plastic to cause a clicking sound when hitting the tire. We found it because it was pretty easy to see from the outside when the car was turning in the parking lot, and the trim and ducting that was coming in contact with the tire.
Many thanks! Any advice is welcome, no matter what model.
Tomorrow there will be a lot of work in the service.
Old 06-27-2024, 05:08 PM
baso
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Snowy999
Originally Posted by Wei718

Originally Posted by KelvinC
This may not be the same issue, but my friend put 255 width tires on the front of his RS, and he noticed a clicking sound coming from his front passenger wheel well when turning. The sound got progressively worse, and could be heard even at slow speeds (around a parking lot).

We found the tire was rubbing up against some of the ducting in the front wheel well, and broke the duct and lining around it—causing the broken plastic to cause a clicking sound when hitting the tire. We found it because it was pretty easy to see from the outside when the car was turning in the parking lot, and the trim and ducting was coming in contact with the tire.
A lot of work was done on the car today. On the way to the service center, we heard clicks from both wheels, precisely when the wheels were turned to their extreme positions. By the way, tires: Pilot Sport 4S N0 Porsche spec OEM sizes!

1. Removed both front wheels, left and right, cleaned the mounting
surfaces and degreased.
2. The brake calipers were removed and checked for defects and damage.
3. The PCCB brake discs were removed, the hub part was cleaned and degreased, no damage was found.
4. The hubs were removed and cleaned of corrosion and degreased.
5. The pins were removed from the hubs, cleaned and degreased.
6. The wheel bearings were removed, cleaned and degreased; there was rust near the drainage hole.
7. Cleaned the springs from debris and stones
8. Checked BILSHTEIN support bearings
9. Swap the support cups from left to right (they are interchangeable, same part number)
10. Shock absorber rods checked
11. All plastic air ducts, brake cooling (NACA, etc.) have been checked.
12. The wheels do not touch anything, the loads do not touch the caliper, and the air ducts do not touch.
13. Stabilizer link and stabilizer checked

Surfaces were cleaned: Scotch-Brite pad 7448
Paste for Cl used Castrol Molub-Alloy Paste TA

I attach all the photos that I managed to take during the work process. Don't judge strictly by the quality of the photos))
I spent the whole day. Tomorrow I will test the car, I left it at the service center. It's already night outside.

Last edited by baso; 06-27-2024 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2024, 05:15 PM
baso
6th Gear

I also found two documents from PORSCHE with information suitable for me and others.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
MC-10191730-0001.pdf (12.83 MB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf
MC-10165162-9999.pdf (373.3 KB, 4 views)
The following users liked this post:
sunnyr (Yesterday)
Old 06-28-2024, 10:55 PM
baso
6th Gear

Default bad news or good?

All manipulations with the front part of the car did not produce results.. after that, i went home upset, I read a ton of topics on other Porsche models here.
Many other cars with CL had the same problems...
50% solved them in different ways,
50% say that this noise is just the norm...
I don’t even know what to do, but I don’t want to give up. I found a service where we connect 4 microphones to different parts and look for the noisiest one and only then change or repair something.

Similar problem

Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 121 Likes on 67 Posts

In case it help - older thread on 997 GT3 about similar issue - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...t-turns-3.html.

Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 433 Posts

I'm assuming all this work was done at the dealership?
I'd not take it back until they have resolved the issue. File a case with Porsche HQ. Sorry about this!

Quick Reply: GT4RS clicks when turning