Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Weird clicking noise from front in tight fast turns?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 01:18 PM
bobodrink
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 42 Posts

My car had it as well and was never able to find exactly where it is coming from. The noise only came when it is hot, so it is def something is expanded causing unwanted friction. The logical guess at that time was my rotors are shot and need replacement. After I got my new rotors the clicking noise was gone.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:33 AM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Had I allowed the "factory trained technicians" to replace wheel bearings, replace uprights, replace the rotors or replace the drive shafts, as all options were on the table, at my expense, and the wheels had been reinstalled correctly, any or all of the above procedures could have been attributed to having fixed the clicking. As these "factory trained technicians" had in fact removed and refitted the wheels numerous times,obviously without adhering to Porsche guidelines concerning the correct procedure regarding the Optimol, I have no doubt that I would have been up for many thousands of dollars to possibly not solve the problem. It`s pretty easy to do properly, as long as you understand that it is in fact important. I now consider Optimol to be like a new Crush washer, necessary to obtain the correct seating and Torque, that can`t be reused.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:45 AM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This ^^^^^
Old 06-18-2018, 11:22 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I test drove a 2010 Gt3 in PA 2 years ago that had clicking on the front end when it was hot. After the test drive I investigated and found that the brake pad backs were barely touching the fastening hardware for the Girodisc rotors. you could see the wear marks. I pointed this out and the dealer said "this is normal". Obviously I didn't buy the car from someone who plays those kind of games (or that has that standard for work). If they had said "oh yeah, that's not cool" and replaced or ground back the pad backs I would've respected them a lot more.

The short story is, check to make sure that aftermarket pads and aftermarket rotors aren't interfering. The folks that manufacture these (Pagid, Girodisc, etc) can't consider every possible configuration so you have to inspect carefully. That could be a root cause here.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:25 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So wiped all old grease of and applied Optymoly following b Porsches direction.

Still have the sound. And a scraping from rear right. Sounds like backing plate touches something, but nothing has marks.

Next step is to remove calipers to look more thorough after any marks..

Any other input??
Old 07-14-2018, 07:22 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the caliber off to check for any wear marks. Nothing.
I'm out of ideas for what to check for next...
Attachment 1285758

Attachment 1285759
Old 07-14-2018, 04:42 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

At the very least, you have eliminated the cheapest possible solution
Old 11-01-2021, 04:42 AM
HWOODMECH
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The clicking sound comes from too much grease and or the locking pin not sitting flush with the wheel.

Here is how you clean it out.

Quick Reply: Weird clicking noise from front in tight fast turns?