Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cup 2 vs PS4S for City Driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2024, 02:52 PM
AtoB
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 69 Posts

ill be swapping to PS4S once my cup 2 rears are done, which should be soon. I dont track, and the super sticky compound of the cup 2s are nail magnets.. ive gotten three flats with only 5K on the car. they're like flypaper.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 02:53 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
There are two reasons I would feel the PS4's are the better mountain tire, even in the summer where the Cup 2 won't show it's issues in the cold. One - the PS4s are way less sensitive to the change in air pressure when they warm up. You don't need to air down so much at the start of your drive and if the pressures rise more than you expected the back end isn't loose because of tire pressures. The Cup 2's realistically need to be aired down quite a bit so their pressures don't get too high while driving spiritedly. Two - if it happens to rain the PS4's will provide much better grip. In my mind the PS4's (Haven't driven the 5S so I would expect those will probably be even better) are the mountain driving tire that make the most sense for 99% of people. I never was shy about driving Cup 2's in the rain, but the PS4's are so much better in that scenario.

I agree with all that for sure.
“Most” people will never know or drive quickly enough to know the difference.

Rain is always likely in the South so I agree. I don’t drive in the rain if I can help it and will always be overly cautious when it does. No fun to be had in the rain / wet roads any way!

Old 06-21-2024, 02:58 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Cup2s vs MPS4 on a dry track are far more confidence inspiring. I only ran the MPS4s back in April bc I was late to remember to swap to the Cups before the event, though it worked out for me with the weather that weekend being 35-40*... and my first ever event, so I was hardly consistent enough, or knowledgeable as to how much better the Cups are vs MPS4 (at track). I have had no problems on backroad drives keeping up with any of the fellas on the MPS4. I like the way they absorb the unevenness of the roads out this way, along with knowing there is less chance for me to get a puncture. I forgot how much stiffer the Cups are when I put them back on the car a few weeks ago. Its like driving on cinder-blocks vs MPS4, but I like the harsher ride feel they provide... and then I like the cushy feel of the 4s as well.

Agreed.

Never had anyone “get away” from me in the mountains on my PS4S or Conti’s. Even the “Fast” group of the Dragon rallies. So Cups definitely aren’t needed. I just loved how they felt and the grip.

Funny thing is, I didn’t think they felt that stiff to me. I was really surprised actually. Pleasantly!!
The following users liked this post:
BoxKing (06-21-2024)

Quick Reply: Cup 2 vs PS4S for City Driving