Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 4.0 Journey - Chapter 5: 2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual - "GT4 Touring" Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 09:36 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete

Right now I have an issue with a vibration sound inside the cabin, I am not sure if it related to taking out the sound deadening or not. It starts about 5 minutes after starting a drive, and can be pretty annoying. With the windows down or cracked, it is not as noticeable, but with windows up it can be pretty maddening. As part of the troubleshooting process for that, I may try putting the sound deadening back in temporarily to see if that is a contributor to it. The full exhaust with headers creates more bassy frequencies, I wonder if it is something else vibrating in the car from that. I haven't isolated yet where the sound is coming from, my son says it is coming from behind us from the engine compartment, to me in the driver's seat it seems like it is coming from the dash somewhere.

The car is just about perfect, besides that one issue! Always something...
Did you ever figure this out? If it was the sound deadening causing the vibration issue. I'll probably attempt to remove this in the spring when the car comes out of storage and hopefully it gives me a nice sound upgrade
Old 11-28-2023, 09:45 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by FazedChicken
Did you ever figure this out? If it was the sound deadening causing the vibration issue. I'll probably attempt to remove this in the spring when the car comes out of storage and hopefully it gives me a nice sound upgrade
I haven't resolved it yet, but I have isolated it to be coming from the Center Console / Transmission Tunnel area. I discussed it with my shop yesterday, they will try to resolve it when they get the car in there soon. It doesn't have anything to do with the sound deadening removal, other than that perhaps the sympathetic vibrations might be increased by that, but probably more so by the Full Exhaust. It is RPM related, if I shift to 6th and go to low RPMs, and reduces signficantly or goes away entirely, whereas it is most noticeable while cruising at higher RPMs, say 4,000+.

It doesn't bother me too much, you can't hear it as much with windows down or windows cracked. Windows up, you can hear it and it does annoy me after a while. I hope to get it resolved shortly - and then the car will be about perfect!

Really the main two things after this next visit to the shop are (1) giving it another go with the GT4 Front Bumper, and (2) upgrading the suspension and lowering. Now that I have the GT4 Rear Diffuser on, I think the GT4 Bumper will look more balanced. And lowering will tie that all together visually too I think, and of course improve the handling. The stock suspension feels and performs great IMO, but I do want a little more camber to give it a little more of a lively / darty steering feel, like my GT4 had.

My Spyder RS Allocation came up at my local dealer available to order a couple of weeks ago. I passed. I am sure it would have been an amazing car, but I love this car so much that I just can't justify the price delta. I prefer the Manual, especially with the DeMan Gearing, and this car is turning out to be everything I wanted it to be. I don't have a "next car" that I am lusting for, which is a weird feeling - it is almost a good thing for me that you can't order these 4.0's anymore, and the RS's don't come in a Manual. Now it is time to just enjoy this great car and not order anything else for quite a while! (Famous last words, ha-ha!)
The following 4 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
FazedChicken (11-28-2023), MendraSlife (11-28-2023), OldJedi (11-28-2023), RoadrunnerGTS (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 10:53 AM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

Thanks for the detailed reply as usual!

Also, did you see that Frog Venom will be coming out with a RS style front hood brake cooling solution:
View this post on Instagram

I'm not sure if they'll sell just the NACA ducts + brake cooling components (cut up the stock hood), or if you'll be required to buy their carbon fibre hood as well.

And also the RS style side window intake conversion: https://goldleafperformance.com/prod...44579915628808

It's great that companies are making functional upgrades for this platform!

The following users liked this post:
IL_Pete (12-10-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 09:56 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FazedChicken
Thanks for the detailed reply as usual!

Also, did you see that Frog Venom will be coming out with a RS style front hood brake cooling solution: https://www.instagram.com/p/C0LRcwtr...hhZWM5NmIwOQ==

I'm not sure if they'll sell just the NACA ducts + brake cooling components (cut up the stock hood), or if you'll be required to buy their carbon fibre hood as well.

And also the RS style side window intake conversion: https://goldleafperformance.com/prod...44579915628808

It's great that companies are making functional upgrades for this platform!
That Frog Venom hood with the NACA ducts is pretty cool. If I were to do one, I would get the primed one and paint it GT Silver, I have always preferred the looks of the non-WP GT4 RS. Not that I would need the brake cooling for a street car, but it looks great and would give help with the overall notion of making it more unique.

I am not saying I will get one, but I did put it on the "maybe in the future" list!
Old 11-30-2023, 04:42 PM
macrs
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

@IL_Pete , been following this thread and just impressed with your willingness to experiment! Keep it up as your thread serves as an inspiration for my build!
IL_Pete (11-30-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 01:58 PM
loltesla
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the build!

Maybe I missed it - do you have dyno numbers from deman with the exhaust and tune?

Also, why soul headers over Kline headers?

And we would love more sound clips! Perhaps from the outside!
IL_Pete (12-10-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 02:27 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by loltesla
Love the build!

Maybe I missed it - do you have dyno numbers from deman with the exhaust and tune?

Also, why soul headers over Kline headers?

And we would love more sound clips! Perhaps from the outside!
Hi there! I did not get Dyno numbers from the Exhaust and Tune. The power increase feels quite significant, and access to that power is improved by the shortened gearing. It is quite beastly - and this is coming from someone who has owned five of these. This one is by far the fastest and most lively, from a feel perspective. Of course the PDK GT with the same exhaust and an M Engineering Tune was no doubt faster 0-60 with Launch control, but for a Manual, this is the fastest and liveliest feeling 718 4.0 I have ever driven, by a longshot. I at one point thought I might want to do a Deman 4.5L treatment on this car, but I don't feel that way anymore. This is all the HP and Torque I will ever need, on the Street. It is already somewhat terrifying at full throttle at high rpms - in a good way. Often the Traction Control light flickers just below redline at full throttle, and you can feel it too. Right at that time you only have one hand on the steering wheel, because of course you are just about to shift. Great fun! (That happens more often with All Seasons on versus Cup 2s or PS4S's, and when it is colder and perhaps a hair damp on the pavement.)

@Bearrun21 can chime in with his thoughts - he has driven it.

With regards to why Soul Headers versus Kline - mostly because when I bought the Headers for my PDK GT4 a year ago, the Soul Headers were in stock and discounted for a pre-Black Friday Sale and ahead of a coming price increase, and the Kline Inconel Headers were 6-8 week lead time or something like that at the time, and a lot more expensive. Mostly it was the timing, and the smoking deal on the Soul Headers was the icing on the cake. Both have Race Cats, I am imagine the performance is similar. Also there was a nuance that if you look at pictures of both, the Soul ones seemed to have longer tubes before the Cats, which if true there might be a hair more power to be gained with those.

The constant tinkerer in me has thought about going "ALL-IN" and doing JCR Inconel Race Headers, with no cats, considering this car is only for back and forth from the track and spirited country road drives. But the sound is so outrageously loud already at full throttle and high RPMs I am a little afraid of how loud that would be at full tilt with Race Headers. LOL!

Action taken re sound clips. I may have some additional ones from inside the car that I can extract the sound from and post, subsequent to my previous ones - I will take a look when I get a chance. Good suggestion with regards to from outside the car. Even stationary with the rev limited revs, it sounds very beastly. I can't do it in my driveway at home without being a complete jackass to my neighbors, which I am already always pushing the envelope on, with my 718 and my Son's Mk8 GTI with a Milltek Race Exhaust.

But outside with some stationary revs and some starts from stationary to redline driving away would be good to do as well. I will try to do that when I get a chance.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:11 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 352 Likes on 163 Posts

Good Sunday afternoon, @loltesla

Yes, I was fortunate enough to drive the beast that @IL_Pete has assembled. While I'm not sure if there are more specifics behind your question, Pete's plan for this car (his fifth 4.0L) is on-point as a street driver. It's snarly-nasty, and Chef Pete's three-part recipe of exhaust, short-gearset, and tune gets this car RIGHT.

Admittedly, I'm full 718 'fanboy', and my fanaticism for 4.0L cars has grown thanks to my experience in Pete's car. Alongside my own CGTS, I have a CT5V Blackwing. It's becoming clear that the BW won't have a long stay in my garage because, as Pete has shown, it's as simple as a couple of tweaks to refine an exceptional platform that won't make you focused on dyno-numbers.
Old 12-10-2023, 11:40 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,081 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearrun21
Good Sunday afternoon, @loltesla

Yes, I was fortunate enough to drive the beast that @IL_Pete has assembled. While I'm not sure if there are more specifics behind your question, Pete's plan for this car (his fifth 4.0L) is on-point as a street driver. It's snarly-nasty, and Chef Pete's three-part recipe of exhaust, short-gearset, and tune gets this car RIGHT.

Admittedly, I'm full 718 'fanboy', and my fanaticism for 4.0L cars has grown thanks to my experience in Pete's car. Alongside my own CGTS, I have a CT5V Blackwing. It's becoming clear that the BW won't have a long stay in my garage because, as Pete has shown, it's as simple as a couple of tweaks to refine an exceptional platform that won't make you focused on dyno-numbers.
Agreed... shorter gear ratios with tune + Kline is next level. My car is same in that regard, albeit I did it in stages of tune, Kline, then gears. The gear ratios are complete game changer in terms of performance and engagement.
The following 2 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
Bearrun21 (12-11-2023), IL_Pete (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 05:55 PM
macrs
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm thinking of doing gears first, then exhaust since it will be easier to get into the high RPM range with the shorter gears.
The following 2 users liked this post by macrs:
Bearrun21 (12-12-2023), IL_Pete (12-11-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 04:55 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Got the Cayman back today with the Glass Engine cover, the Sportshifter Shift **** and the Automotive Passion Carbon Fiber Trim pieces installed.

Looks great, IMO!

More importantly, the Glass Engine Cover "opens up" the sound more from the engine compartment into the cabin. I had already removed the sound deadening from underneath the two compartments, and that let a lot of sound through, especially at high throttle and high rpms. This lets a lot MORE sound through particularly in the higher frequencies.

It sounds more "Race Car" now, which is good an bad in that it is more exciting and visceral now, but also less refined, in that all sorts of different sounds now come in, much more so than a GT4. I wouldn't recommend this for a daily driver.

More to follow as I get more time in it.
The following 6 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
Bearrun21 (12-19-2023), drage (01-15-2024), FazedChicken (12-19-2023), j-dub (12-19-2023), OldJedi (12-21-2023), slilley (12-20-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-2024, 01:41 AM
drage
Track Day

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

That looks really really good! I dig the carbon fiber trim pieces from Automotive Passion. How does the carbon fiber weave from Automotive Passion compare to the OEM carbon weave pieces?
IL_Pete (01-27-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 02:02 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
Got the Cayman back today with the Glass Engine cover, the Sportshifter Shift **** and the Automotive Passion Carbon Fiber Trim pieces installed.

Looks great, IMO!

More importantly, the Glass Engine Cover "opens up" the sound more from the engine compartment into the cabin. I had already removed the sound deadening from underneath the two compartments, and that let a lot of sound through, especially at high throttle and high rpms. This lets a lot MORE sound through particularly in the higher frequencies.

It sounds more "Race Car" now, which is good an bad in that it is more exciting and visceral now, but also less refined, in that all sorts of different sounds now come in, much more so than a GT4. I wouldn't recommend this for a daily driver.

More to follow as I get more time in it.
this is sexy! Too bad weather is dog**** 😂
IL_Pete (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 11:08 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drage
That looks really really good! I dig the carbon fiber trim pieces from Automotive Passion. How does the carbon fiber weave from Automotive Passion compare to the OEM carbon weave pieces?
Thanks!

It is a little different from the OEM CF. I would say that the Auotmotive Passion is more so what most CF trim pieces look like in the industry, Porsche's is a little different and unique. But I think it blends very well, you don't see the different pieces in the same line of sight very often. I don't notice the difference, and I like the look of the Automotive Passion parts, a lot - especially with the contrast with the Bordeaux Red interior.
drage (01-27-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 04:33 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 587 Likes on 336 Posts

Is there a DIY for removing that foam?

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram

Quick Reply: 718 4.0 Journey - Chapter 5: 2023 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual - "GT4 Touring" Project