Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS: have economics changed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 10:21 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Yes, but those GT3s aren't selling and are put on the market by private sellers also known as flippers. They are simply not worth the coin at those prices and the 991.2 GT3 touring is a way better car in Australian conditions.

Moreover, in Australia Porsche GT cars are sold at MSRP. Furthermore, the cars are up-specced compared to US models and EU models (a sop to the regressive LCT). A GT4 RS goes for around $AUD370k - a lot of first timers are over speccing these cars, I can understand the enthusiasm but its generally a mistake in this particular market.

The GT4RS really is a bargain, especially in comparison to the 992 GT3 RS which will be brutal on Australian roads.
im in Australia and kept my GT4RS spec modest for a few reasons. Firstly I drive on the track a lot and none of these options make you any faster. Also if you spec it highly you are going above gt3 prices which kind of defeats the purpose.
Old 04-13-2023, 10:48 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by cafe_racer
im in Australia and kept my GT4RS spec modest for a few reasons. Firstly I drive on the track a lot and none of these options make you any faster. Also if you spec it highly you are going above gt3 prices which kind of defeats the purpose.
Sorry, I don't agree on either point.

Technically, mags and PCCBs will be faster than without..... so yes, some options do make you faster.

Regardless, the 4RS is worth more to me than a GT3 (the 3RS is a different story). I didn't worry at all about limiting myself when ordering my 4RS.
Glad your happy with your stripper and enjoying the track, but you don't have to try so hard to justify your selection of little/no options.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlazinPond:
bham (04-14-2023), Odin (04-15-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 10:49 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

Understood, the guys that track their cars tend to take that approach - I'm one of those as well. Personally, I find the 992 GT3 a no-mans land car - the 991.2 GT3 RS is better (quicker round track) and a much more visceral experience. So I have kept that particular car and I can't see the 992 GT3 RS working on Austalian roads (it has spring rates getting close to those on my last Cup car) so I ordered a 296 GTB.

I regret not throwing my hat in the ring for a 4RS, like all RS models it is very special. Enjoy thrashing your 4RS
The following 2 users liked this post by groundhog:
cafe_racer (04-13-2023), Mr. Adair (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 10:50 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Sorry, I don't agree on either point.

Technically, mags and PCCBs will be faster than without..... so yes, some options do make you faster.

Regardless, the 4RS is worth more to me than a GT3 (the 3RS is a different story). I didn't worry at all about limiting myself when ordering my 4RS.
Glad your happy with your stripper and enjoying the track, but you don't have to try so hard to justify your selection of little/no options.
im not trying to justify anything. So far as going faster, those two will make you faster but it’s such a small percentage it didn’t seem worthwhile. I’m thinking my money will be better spent on an MR kit for my purposes.

Old 04-13-2023, 10:53 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Understood, the guys that track their cars tend to take that approach - I'm one of those as well. Personally, I find the 992 GT3 a no-mans land car - the 991.2 GT3 RS is better (quicker round track) and a much more visceral experience. So I have kept that particular car and I can't see the 992 GT3 RS working on Austalian roads (it has spring rates getting close to those on my last Cup car) so I ordered a 296 GTB.

I regret not throwing my hat in the ring for a 4RS, like all RS models it is very special. Enjoy thrashing your 4RS
agree with you on the latest 3rs. It’s getting to the “why not just get a cup car” point.
The following users liked this post:
Odin (04-15-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 10:57 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

im not trying to justify anything. So far as going faster, those two will make you faster but it’s such a small percentage it didn’t seem worthwhile. I’m thinking my money will be better spent on an MR kit for my purposes.
That's fair... but contradicts your statement about not wanting to spend more than a GT3... and thus defeats the purpose to add an MR kit to the 4RS doesn't it?
Odin (04-15-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 11:01 PM
groundhog
Race Car

agree with you on the latest 3rs. It’s getting to the “why not just get a cup car” point.
Its a technical tour de force for sure but its also reached a price point where other cars come into focus but for different reasons. The other part of the equation is fun factor and in my experience cars with spring rates near those of a cup car are brutal on Australian public roads.
Old 04-13-2023, 11:01 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

Congrats on the 296! Back to the smaller F car heritage! 👍

We’ll know more about values down the line. Did any of us think a 2011 7.2 RS PTS with an MSRP of 180k would sell for 325k? The 4RS may be another..

If not, so be it. I got one..
Odin (04-15-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 11:03 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
That's fair... but contradicts your statement about not wanting to spend more than a GT3... and thus defeats the purpose to add an MR kit to the 4RS doesn't it?
It does in a way. But I view a MR car as something more than the sum of its parts. Comparison would be against a gt3MR (performance wise) which would still be more expensive.
Old 04-13-2023, 11:13 PM
Prime
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 97 Posts

I’d take a stripper 4RS with a harness and money spent on regular professional driver training than a fully loaded mag wheel R4S any day.

One will add seconds, the other sub decimal fractions.

If you can spend on both great but it’s amazing going to the track regularly and seeing the massive disparity between cars and drivers.
Outlaw 06 (04-16-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 11:23 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Prime
I’d take a stripper 4RS with a harness and money spent on regular professional driver training than a fully loaded mag wheel R4S any day.

One will add seconds, the other sub decimal fractions.

If you can spend on both great but it’s amazing going to the track regularly and seeing the massive disparity between cars and drivers.
You have one coming or no?
Old 04-13-2023, 11:34 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,805 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
this - ask anyone if they got the GT they wanted after AP made similar remarks ... my dealer had a waitlist of over 40 for the 981 GT4 ... and this was all before the C19/war supply chain issues ...

PAG have *NEVER* IMO made "as many cars are there are buyers" in their entire history its all BS
I think he was kinda right with the 718 GT4 though. If you wanted one and could afford one, you were 99% guaranteed to get one if you actually put in any effort into actually buying it. The community here was great for tracking me down an allocation, and when that dealer ended up not wanting to sell to an out of city buyer when it was time to lock it in my name, I started fresh with another dealer and ended up getting an allocation fairly quick. I also only got serious about 9 months+ after people had already started taking delivery of them. I ended up getting an allocation from a pretty small dealership too. First Porsche for me.

IMO anyone who 'tried' to buy one in 2019 and still is waiting for an allocation at the time of it being discontinued only has themselves to blame. We had a 4 year window on these cars which is absolutely crazy for GT cars.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zhao:
0-Day (04-14-2023), BabyNSX (04-14-2023), BlazinPond (04-13-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 05:07 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 457 Likes on 237 Posts

I'm so impressed with my new 4RS I'm now considering passing on my promised 3RS allocation. Its not just because of how much better my 4RS is than I expected but a lot to do with the recent huge price increase on the 3RS, as well as being a quite heavy and large car(much more so than the 4RS) and absolute zilch luggage space.
The 3RS specified identically to my 4RS will cost £90k more after the price rise(not worth it IMO). The 4RS feels really manageable and compact on some of our narrow B roads where the bloated 3RS will feel like a barge in comparison. The 4RS also has two luggage boots which makes it practical for a two up trip which would be completely impossible in the 3RS.
Another point is the 4RS is a special car as its a one off with no previous iterations and very likely no ICE replacements. The 992.1RS is another on a long line of 911RS models and will be bettered in a couple of years with the 992.2RS.
I'm also concerned that the ride of the 992RS will be verging on unbearable on rougher roads due to the extremely high spring rates.
The following 2 users liked this post by Taffy66:
Mr. Adair (04-14-2023), Odin (04-15-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 06:39 AM
lilbza
Pro

Received 578 Likes on 265 Posts

Yes, but those GT3s aren't selling and are put on the market by private sellers also known as flippers. They are simply not worth the coin at those prices and the market here knows and understands that. In reality, the 991.2 GT3 touring is a way better car in Australian conditions.

Moreover, in Australia Porsche GT cars are sold at MSRP. Furthermore, the cars are up-specced compared to US models and EU models (a sop to the regressive LCT). A GT4 RS goes for around $AUD370k - a lot of first timers are over speccing these cars, I can understand the enthusiasm but its generally a mistake in this particular market.

The GT4RS really is a bargain, especially in comparison to the 992 GT3 RS which will be brutal on Australian roads. Also, its a much more interesting car than the 992 GT3 - which has become a very large and rather boring car to drive on Australian roads.
The used car market has softened, but I personally know of someone who bought a used 992 GT3 that edged over $600k with stamp duty, so they definitely were selling at these prices. I think the incoming GT4RS's are absolutely "stealing" customers from GT3 purchases. They are $150-200k cheaper in comparison, it's a no brainer really. The 4RS is the Porsche to have IMO.... I just wish I could get my hands on one, but Im also very pumped for my GT4 which is currently docking in NZ now, before making its way into Australian waters very soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by lilbza:
GTFede78 (04-14-2023), Mr. Adair (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 11:14 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by lilbza
The used car market has softened, but I personally know of someone who bought a used 992 GT3 that edged over $600k with stamp duty, so they definitely were selling at these prices. I think the incoming GT4RS's are absolutely "stealing" customers from GT3 purchases. They are $150-200k cheaper in comparison, it's a no brainer really. The 4RS is the Porsche to have IMO.... I just wish I could get my hands on one, but Im also very pumped for my GT4 which is currently docking in NZ now, before making its way into Australian waters very soon.
All I can say is your mate got well and truly had, same happened to a number of 991.1 GT3 RS buyers some of whom were paying ~ $570k. You will really enjoy the GT4, its a great car, a lot of fun.

Porsche got so much right with the 981 Cayman onward, great basic chassis, best mainstream chassis they have produced - compact, fluid design - then ultimately mated that with the best mainstream engine and gear box they have ever produced (4L NA and cogs from 991.2 GT3 RS). The 4RS is truly special but the GT4 is not far behind.

Strangely the 992 GT3 has something missing, its overly fussy (the steering rack rate isn't great - particularly on worn narrow roads) and just a bland driving experience.

Note: By bland I mean one of the less interesting GT car I have driven.

Last edited by groundhog; 04-15-2023 at 04:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by groundhog:
Odin (04-15-2023), Taffy66 (04-15-2023)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS: have economics changed?