Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another GT4RS on BAT

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 01:17 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
First-sale doctrine in a non-copyright context.

Yep. Should be allowed to complete sale. But, then dealer/PCNA has the right to remove seller from consideration for future sales.

That might be more effective than killing auction.

IMO, making a habit of flipping cars at a big profit paints a target on the flipper. Flippers don’t add value to the process. They are simply the TicketMaster of the automotive world and as such will deservedly attract ire.

Regardless of PCNA/Dealer reflagging this BaT listing by informing the seller of being placed on the black list… don’t you feel that his preferred dealership (or others) won’t offer him another GT, or other allocations provided his current track record? His present moves have been made, and he should be flagged as a potential “flipper” regardless of the sale of this GT4 RS completing.
The following 2 users liked this post by BoxKing:
brock256 (03-05-2023), Larry Cable (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 03:14 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
I’m going to guess that the only thing Porsche or the dealership can legally do is somehow blacklist the seller.
Correct. Porsche will never tell a dealer what to do ADM wise. And private sellers can ask what they want on BAT. BAT is not required to pull anything down. US price fixing laws are strict and protect the owners of the product. Whether it’s a dealer or a consumer. Speedy is right, the recourse is simply blacklisting that individual from buying again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. Adair:
Larry Cable (03-03-2023), SpeedySpidey (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 03:32 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
They are simply the TicketMaster of the automotive world and as such will deservedly attract ire.
Quoted for accuracy. Great analogy. Certain people always get on here yelling about "profit isn't a bad word". While technically true, there are various degrees of ethical and social considerations that should be taken into account. Ticketmaster analysis nails it.
The following 3 users liked this post by MaddMike:
ausgang (03-04-2023), kwikit356 (03-04-2023), Larry Cable (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 04:45 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Regardless of PCNA/Dealer reflagging this BaT listing by informing the seller of being placed on the black list… don’t you feel that his preferred dealership (or others) won’t offer him another GT, or other allocations provided his current track record? His present moves have been made, and he should be flagged as a potential “flipper” regardless of the sale of this GT4 RS completing.
My point was that, in general, in a society that values free enterprise, once you buy a 'thing' you should be able to sell it. The First Sale doctrine applied to copyright, arguably, enshrines this to some extent. When you buy a book, you own "one copyright" for that book and are free to sell it again without any interference from the copyright holder. (Obviously this has gotten a lot more complicated in the digital age.)

By the same token, the dealer should also be able to refuse sell a product to someone.

So, I think the BaT-er should have been allowed to sell the car and that the dealer should have put him on a no-sale list if they wanted to. Whether or not either approach leads to fewer flippers is a matter of opinion or data collection.

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Quoted for accuracy. Great analogy. Certain people always get on here yelling about "profit isn't a bad word". While technically true, there are various degrees of ethical and social considerations that should be taken into account. Ticketmaster analysis nails it.
Profit isn't a bad word. We have here, in a microcosm, a lesson in what happens when demand far exceeds supply. The profit will be made one way or the other. In this case do we want the profit to go to PAG? PCNA? The dealer? Or the flipper?

Perhaps we want the government to control prices. 'cause that always works out.

Tough to figure out ways to "make it fair" that don't lead to unintended consequences.

Obviously, we'd just like PAG to make more of them so that supply approaches demand, but that's not going to happen, largely, in my opinion, due to EU (and US) anti-ICE regs.

EDIT: I had to sign no-export agreements for the last two new Porsches we bought. Perhaps a legally-binding right-of-first-refusal document is a means to control the flippers. But, IANAL.

Last edited by worf928; 03-03-2023 at 04:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by worf928:
kwikit356 (03-04-2023), Mr. Adair (03-04-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 08:09 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 240 Posts

I agree with the comments that say the end user (or anyone) should be allowed to sell thier car for whatever price it fetches in a free, and open market place. Period. BAT has proven to be one of the most open and transparent marketplaces ever conceieved. When you buy something, with no strings attached, you have every right to sell it for whatever the market determines its worth at that moment in time. But, maybe or (perhaps likely) there were strings attached.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Adair (03-04-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 09:04 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 302 Posts

I think people are misconstruing what happened here. The seller had every right to sell the car for whatever he wanted and Porsche could not stop that. What Porsche said was; if you do, you won’t receive any future allocations. The seller then weighed the pros and cons and decided not to sell. Porsche did not force him or BAT to withdraw, they laid out the consequences if he did follow through and the seller decided to end the auction.

Porsche did not have the right to stop him from selling the car. Porsche does have the right to not offer him any future allocations. Not saying it’s right or wrong but I don’t see any legal nor anti-free market issues at play here.
The following 5 users liked this post by 850tgul:
emaw (03-05-2023), frankchn (03-03-2023), Larry Cable (03-03-2023), mywave (03-03-2023), ToasterThief (03-04-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 09:45 PM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul
I think people are misconstruing what happened here. The seller had every right to sell the car for whatever he wanted and Porsche could not stop that. What Porsche said was; if you do, you won’t receive any future allocations. The seller then weighed the pros and cons and decided not to sell. Porsche did not force him or BAT to withdraw, they laid out the consequences if he did follow through and the seller decided to end the auction.

Porsche did not have the right to stop him from selling the car. Porsche does have the right to not offer him any future allocations. Not saying it’s right or wrong but I don’t see any legal nor anti-free market issues at play here.
Exactly - what is surprising is the seller didn’t expect this to happen. If I wanted to sell mine on BAT within the first 12 months of ownership I would fully expect to never get another Porsche allocation again. Might make some flippers think twice now.
The following 3 users liked this post by Knutsm01:
emaw (03-05-2023), GT Omologata (03-06-2023), Larry Cable (03-03-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 01:57 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 853 Likes on 449 Posts

Might as well go through this list & blacklist all the 1st owners while porsche is at it:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...earch=95476726
Mr. Adair (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 02:56 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,078 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
Porsche is aware of what’s going on. I was put on a secret warning list by Porsche as a possible broker because I was buying so many cars! When dealer gave me most recent allocation it triggered this warning to consider not selling me the car. My dealer contacted Porsche and had me removed from this warning system because I buy all my cars at same dealer and trade them back in as well. but it shows that Porsche does know and is trying to do something about it, so it seems. But suspect most dealers won’t care if offered big adm
Interesting, did you get something in writing from PCNA about the warning?
Old 03-04-2023, 02:59 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Correct. Porsche will never tell a dealer what to do ADM wise. And private sellers can ask what they want on BAT. BAT is not required to pull anything down. US price fixing laws are strict and protect the owners of the product. Whether it’s a dealer or a consumer. Speedy is right, the recourse is simply blacklisting that individual from buying again.
Porsche doesn't have to tell dealers not to charge ADMs, they can simply withhold GT allocations from dealers who do charge ADMs or spec their own GT cars to sell for big ADMs. I guarantee you that kind of action by PCNA would quickly eliminate dealers charging ADMs and spec'ing their down GT cars. Obviously the chances of that happening is slim to none but one can hope since brands like Rolex and Ferrari have successfully done it with their dealers.
Old 03-04-2023, 05:18 AM
Prime
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul

When you said "Porsche said was;" or "Porsche have the right" do you mean Factory, PCNA or that Porsche Dealership?

My personal 2 cents, when you charge ADM's it's fair game what you do with the car, including selling it on an auction site.
Basically ADM is an auction anyway to see whoever will buy it for that price, there is no loyalty involved, so what loyalty should you owe the brand?

Car for RRP, total different story. That is a loyalty and list situation for both parties.
kwikit356 (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 06:36 AM
Odin
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 203 Posts

Of course anyone should be able to sell their belongings for whatever price he can get, without fear of repercussions from anyone. I suspect this seller won’t get an allocation for any high end Porsche going forward anyway.

PCNA should adopt the European way of doing business and deny the mark-up by dealers.
usctrojanGT3 (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 08:12 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by Odin
Of course anyone should be able to sell their belongings for whatever price he can get, without fear of repercussions from anyone. I suspect this seller won’t get an allocation for any high end Porsche going forward anyway.

PCNA should adopt the European way of doing business and deny the mark-up by dealers.
So, you applaud the market liquidity and price discovery provided by the flippers? ‘cause that’s what you will get based upon your rules above. You’ll have a small cadre of ‘dealership friends and family’ that get all the allocations and flip the cars for big profits.

Old 03-04-2023, 09:49 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 781 Likes on 344 Posts

Simple - if you sell your GT4RS not back to the dealer you bought it from allowing them to sell it again they will not give you anymore allocations. I get it. These cars are super limited and they have the power to sell who they want too. They can track who’s ever VIN. Now having said that if they charged ADM then it is my feeling that they really are double dipping. Reasonable expectation for a list price sale though.
The following 3 users liked this post by TexasPorschelover:
85Gold (03-04-2023), brock256 (03-05-2023), kwikit356 (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 06:13 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexasPorschelover
Simple - if you sell your GT4RS not back to the dealer you bought it from allowing them to sell it again they will not give you anymore allocations. I get it. These cars are super limited and they have the power to sell who they want too. They can track who’s ever VIN. Now having said that if they charged ADM then it is my feeling that they really are double dipping. Reasonable expectation for a list price sale though.
Looks like there's a British Racing Green Touring on BAT that was purchased from North Houston so it's safe to say that flipper will be shut out of ever buying a GT car at MSRP from North Houston.

Quick Reply: Another GT4RS on BAT