Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Another GT4RS on BAT

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 04:17 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by LISsailor
Can someone provide cliffnotes? How is Porsche shutting this auction down? Looks like it's still up.
I don't think it was PCNA calling BAT and forcing them to remove the listing but more likely they contacted the seller and told him if he goes through with the sale he will never get another allocation or something to that effect. Can't imagine PCNA would have any legal standing to stop someone from selling but they can simply refuse to offer another allocation in the future. Could be wrong, though.

These were the last comments from the seller...

"Sorry everyone. Didn’t think it would be an issue"
"Just got a call from Porsche"
"Looks like they are squashing this one as well"

This was BAT's explanation from the Turbo S listing that was stopped:

"bringatrailer
Hello all,

The seller of this 992 Turbo has informed us that Porsche North America is demanding this BaT auction be withdrawn. The owner of this car did not sign any agreement restricting its sale, but they are no longer comfortable selling the car after the communication received this week from Porsche.

The seller, @The_Dude_Abides , is a long-time member of the BaT community who has been a helpful partner in working through this situation. Neither of us want the winning bidder to be put in an awkward position once the auction closes, and so we have decided to withdraw the listing. We strongly dislike doing so, and we apologize for any inconvenience that this might cause.

It is interesting to see these manufacturer dynamics play out as the immediate resale market for certain limited-production models takes shape. We think the owner of a car should be able to sell that car as they see fit provided they are legally free to do so, but this approach has clearly ruffled some feathers. We will continue to offer exciting new vehicles as they come to market and will continue to do our best with vetting them carefully to make sure no sales restrictions are in place.

-BaT"

Last edited by 850tgul; 02-28-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 05:26 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,078 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Wow, that escalated quickly.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 06:22 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Received 363 Likes on 251 Posts

i wonder why the last one was allowed to complete but PCNA (supposedly) stopped this one? i just checked and it's still running, up to $205 now.
Larry Cable (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 06:58 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 384 Posts

I’m going to guess that the only thing Porsche or the dealership can legally do is somehow blacklist the seller.
Mr. Adair (03-03-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 07:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Hopefully they will take on the ADM dealers next.

My MSRP dealer will blacklist you if they catch you flipping--and they check. One guy thought he was being smooth selling it in Las Vegas. However, he put his car for sale before he took delivery and they obviously have a web crawler looking for vins. They not only blacklisted him, but they refused to deliver his car.
this!!! PCNA should simply starve such dealers of allocations if they charge ADM IMO or play other tricks like lowballing trade-ins and insisting on ED, e-bike or watch purchases...
The following 11 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
BabyNSX (02-28-2023), brock256 (03-05-2023), CDACH (03-01-2023), Dr.Bill (03-03-2023), gt3rs. (03-01-2023), kwikit356 (03-04-2023), MaddMike (02-28-2023), RedCarrot (02-28-2023), SLATETT (02-28-2023), UncleDude (02-28-2023), usctrojanGT3 (02-28-2023) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-02-2023, 05:22 PM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 120 Posts

Just got an email from BaT, they withdrew the listing.
Listing Withdrawn
The following listing at BaT Auctions has been withdrawn: 2023 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 RS Weissach
Something during this auction was not fair for the buyer and/or seller, so we have withdrawn it. It might be re-listed in a future BaT Auction if this can be corrected and, if so, we will email all watchers of this listing. We apologize for the inconvenience.
You are receiving this message because you are watching or bidding on this listing. To unsubscribe from bid notifications for...
Old 03-02-2023, 06:02 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 282 Posts

Maybe they can also go after the flippers on rennlist
MaddMike (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 06:07 PM
AlpineR
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

But it would be all fine and dandy for a dealer to resell it on their lot for a huge markup as a second hand car? Porsche, if it was them that had this car pulled, are hypocrites.

In Aus we get screwed on Porsche pricing, not the dealers markups etc, Porsche Australia rips us.
The following 4 users liked this post by AlpineR:
6IXSPD (03-02-2023), brock256 (03-05-2023), James88 (03-03-2023), Larry Cable (03-03-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 07:16 PM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
How can Porsche shut down a BAT sale? I'm curiously skeptical.

If someone gets stuck paying ADM, they should have full resale rights, IMO; no obligations. If you want to fix this, it needs to be at the start of the chain (ie dealers and ADM). But then no ADM means all the special cars go to VIPs / best clients, who drive them for 6 months / a year, and then sell them back lightly used. Is that an appreciably better situation for the "average Porsche buyer"? I'm not sure it is.
Good point, but at least we can still "pop star" wrap it and not lose a future allocation... for now
Larry Cable (03-03-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 07:22 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 384 Posts

Apparently, it was the seller who nixed it…

Pasted from BaT:

bringatrailerHello all,

The owner of this car is no longer willing to honor his commitment to sell it to the winning bidder of this auction, so we decided to withdraw the listing. Before this auction began, we confirmed with the seller multiple times that he was free to sell this car as he pleased and that he would commit to seeing the auction through, even under pressure from Porsche. He assured us he would, however, this attitude changed after the auction began and he was contacted by Fort Meyers Porsche, who threatened him with being blacklisted from future allocations if he didn’t end his BaT auction. He now won’t sell the car to the winner, and so we had little choice but to end the auction.

We are disappointed about this outcome and did not want to end up where we have. We think the owner of a car should be able to sell that car as they see fit, provided they are legally free to do so. In this case the seller had even paid a significant markup on top of sticker price for this car. We apologize for any inconvenience and are curious to read the comments that will be posted about this withdrawal. We appreciate our community’s passion and thoughtfulness and are happy to hear how folks feel about the dynamics surrounding the immediate resale of limited-production models.

Thanks as always for your understanding and support.

-BaT
GT Omologata (03-03-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 07:52 PM
lilbza
Pro

Received 585 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by AlpineR
But it would be all fine and dandy for a dealer to resell it on their lot for a huge markup as a second hand car? Porsche, if it was them that had this car pulled, are hypocrites.

In Aus we get screwed on Porsche pricing, not the dealers markups etc, Porsche Australia rips us.
Let's not forget our government....LCT to protect the local car manufacturing, that no longer exists.
James88 (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 06:40 AM
GT Omologata
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
Apparently, it was the seller who nixed it…

Pasted from BaT:

bringatrailerHello all,

The owner of this car is no longer willing to honor his commitment to sell it to the winning bidder of this auction, so we decided to withdraw the listing. Before this auction began, we confirmed with the seller multiple times that he was free to sell this car as he pleased and that he would commit to seeing the auction through, even under pressure from Porsche. He assured us he would, however, this attitude changed after the auction began and he was contacted by Fort Meyers Porsche, who threatened him with being blacklisted from future allocations if he didn’t end his BaT auction. He now won’t sell the car to the winner, and so we had little choice but to end the auction.

-BaT
QED
I suppose that means that Fort Meyers then is a "no ADM" dealer ...otherwise you guys are really messed up in US.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:56 AM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 754 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Omologata
QED
I suppose that means that Fort Meyers then is a "no ADM" dealer ...otherwise you guys are really messed up in US.
According to BringaTrailer's comments, the seller had paid ADM to Fort Meyers Porsche: "In this case the seller had even paid a significant markup on top of sticker price for this car."

Old 03-03-2023, 10:21 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,223 Likes on 479 Posts

Porsche is aware of what’s going on. I was put on a secret warning list by Porsche as a possible broker because I was buying so many cars! When dealer gave me most recent allocation it triggered this warning to consider not selling me the car. My dealer contacted Porsche and had me removed from this warning system because I buy all my cars at same dealer and trade them back in as well. but it shows that Porsche does know and is trying to do something about it, so it seems. But suspect most dealers won’t care if offered big adm
The following 2 users liked this post by disden:
brock256 (03-05-2023), MaddMike (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 11:29 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,089 Posts

First-sale doctrine in a non-copyright context.

Yep. Should be allowed to complete sale. But, then dealer/PCNA has the right to remove seller from consideration for future sales.

That might be more effective than killing auction.

IMO, making a habit of flipping cars at a big profit paints a target on the flipper. Flippers don’t add value to the process. They are simply the TicketMaster of the automotive world and as such will deservedly attract ire.

The following 3 users liked this post by worf928:
Larry Cable (03-03-2023), MaddMike (03-03-2023), usctrojanGT3 (03-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Another GT4RS on BAT