Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

How many people didn't get full leather?....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 11:18 AM
jmlmr2
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

For me, I prefer the smooth passenger side dash on the plastic dash cars vs. the visible airbag cutout on the leather (or alcantara) dash cars. I do wish you could at least option the door trim to match the dash on a plastic dash car though.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:21 AM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 743 Likes on 350 Posts

I ordered the standard interior because I thought it would be more durable. My thinking was that if I'm at a track or autoX or whatever all day in the summertime, I don't want leather on the door cards because they will get stained with my sweat and sunscreen as I constantly get into and out of the car. Whereas the standard vinyl won't absorb that stuff, and it will just wipe off the surface with a clean towel.

Also I've never really seen any car with a leather dash age well. Every car over 20 years old I've even with a leather dash looked like *** because of the leather shrinking over time. I guess maybe if you always keep the car garaged and don't leave it out in the sun much and regularly condition the leather, it will look better longer. But modern automotive vinyls are more durable to wear and sun damage and much more resistant to staining than leather, and they don't require maintenance..
The following users liked this post:
PaulE (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 11:24 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 908 Likes on 361 Posts

On a new car, I'd spec a leather interior. On a used vehicle, I wouldn't make it a deal breaker either way if the rest of the car fits your criteria. Both my 718s had full leather but you'll rule out a lot of good cars if you don't make that a "nice to have" instead of a "must-have" if it's not one of your top criteria to start with.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:35 AM
ronbauer
Pro

Received 524 Likes on 240 Posts

No leather here. While I've seen cars with the leather that look good, I've also seen some where it doesn't look so good.

In the end, decisions had to made to keep the car in the right price range, and PDLS+, buckets, PDK, Python Green exterior, etc were worth WAY more to me than leather.

Two years in and I have no regrets at all. I'll agree with a poster above as well, that I don't have to worry about having the window open when it's raining and I'm autocrossing or driving in general.

Ron
Old 02-07-2023, 11:48 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 814 Posts
Originally Posted by mile2424
Any regrets? The full leather with the stitching on the upper door panels and dash always seems to make the interior more complete and have the nicer overall finish. I see a couple cars I like, but they don't have this. I know it doesn't affect the driving characteristics, but still wonder how people feel about this. Good paint, manual, and some buckets are probably all you need.
mile2424,

When I ordered my GT4 I carefully looked at all options more than a few times to hopefully not overlook something.
When looking at the Full-Leather interior cost to me it was simply Way-way to expensive for a Sports Car only driven by me.
I should also mention I don't weigh a lot, (176 Lbs) so it's not like I'm going to wear out the 18-way power seats.
I spent my monies on what I considered much more useful options.
Same for not going with the PCCB package.
Same line-of-thinking I used the $8K for more useful options for use on the STREET NOT for Track-Duty.

I will add if cost was not even remotely a consideration ???
I'd Load-Up my GT4 with "EVERYTHING" available.
But, cost to me was a consideration.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-07-2023 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:10 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 931 Likes on 435 Posts

No leather, don't care as it doesn't effect the thrill ride.
fueledbymetal (02-09-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 12:18 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 617 Likes on 281 Posts

I wish my car was ordered with it; instead it has navigation
Old 02-07-2023, 01:06 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,331 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
Any regrets? The full leather with the stitching on the upper door panels and dash always seems to make the interior more complete and have the nicer overall finish. I see a couple cars I like, but they don't have this. I know it doesn't affect the driving characteristics, but still wonder how people feel about this. Good paint, manual, and some buckets are probably all you need.
It really is dependent on the type of use the car will see. Mine will never be tracked and is more of a trophy piece for me. I want all the creature comforts I can get inside this car. Including $1700 to cover the seat backs in leather! But that's me and my use. Others use their cars differently and all that leather would be an expensive waste. You have to decide who you are. You'll never get a consensus here. Too much variation in the usage and purpose.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:42 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,174 Likes on 656 Posts

There are also those like me who will be tracking the car, and this is my only car. However car cleaning (including interior) is actually a fun pastime for me, so taking care of the leather and coating it as well as the Race-Tex is something that i really enjoy doing.

I think to many peoples point however, it's really how much you want it. For me the leather makes the car feel more premium which was something important to me as this is not a throwaway car for me. This is my dream car. And yes while i'll be tracking the car, its still for me a big luxury item.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:05 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
i was going to spec no leather, but in the end i caved. Honestly i'm really happy i did. The car i drove at the experience center had no leather and the interior reminded me of my Veloster. Not quite the $120k+ experience i was expecting.
Hate to say it but the entire car is not a $120k ‘experience’! So would not waste $$ on leather…
Old 02-07-2023, 02:22 PM
slowdown
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

I didn't go for it. Looks fine (to me) with a black plastic dash/red stitching, Bordeaux leather seats and black brushed aluminum. And I'm the only person who counts since I'm planning to keep it forever. I could care less about impressing other people... I do wonder if I should have done a leather seat back. But it's a 2 seater, and I only notice it on occasion since the car windows are tinted.

Johny0299 (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 02:33 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,174 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Hate to say it but the entire car is not a $120k ‘experience’! So would not waste $$ on leather…
I mean i think that's subjective. For me the car is 100% worth every penny i spent on it. And i guess that is where it's subjective. For me 100k of the car is the engineering, and the extra 20k is the customization that i put into it. The fit and finish, the way it feels, the design. Fo me its the perfect sports car and i would gladly do it all over again if i had to. There was a part of me that was afraid that i'd regret buying it considering the Supra was such a good car. Great tuning from Toyota, solid engine from BMW, put down power really well and insanely quick. And its 1/3 the price of the GT4 without ADM. However the GT4 in the month that i've owned it, has given me a driving experience that only my S2000 has even started to approach. I know your complaints about the car. And again its all subjective, but for me this is one of the best cars i've ever driven both on the street and on the track, hands down.

MaddMike (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 02:33 PM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 345 Likes on 224 Posts

I would say this is one of those things, as mentioned, come down to use. If it's a track toy, I'd spec it as a stripper. If it's for weekend cruises, date nights as well as DE events I'd spec it to your liking. You'll see the interior more than the exterior. Enjoy the view.
That said, this is why I'm looking for another Cayman. Should've listened to my gut the first time around.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:09 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
mile2424,

When I ordered my GT4 I carefully looked at all options more than a few times to hopefully not overlook something.
When looking at the Full-Leather interior cost to me it was simply Way-way to expensive for a Sports Car only driven by me.
I should also mention I don't weigh a lot, (176 Lbs) so it's not like I'm going to wear out the 18-way power seats.
I spent my monies on what I considered much more useful options.
Same for not going with the PCCB package.
Same line-of-thinking I used the $8K for more useful options for use on the STREET NOT for Track-Duty.

But, cost to me was a consideration.

Terry

More Useful......hmmmm.

Since you went off topic a bit, regarding other options and posted your GT4 build for all to see...
PCCB is for Track Only? Really?
By and large, folks who regularly track, go with steel/iron or aftermarket....NOT PCCB.

Terry, you don't have to pretend to be an expert in all things Porsche and attempt to justify why you didn't spec options like PCCBs.
You actually summarized it quite well at the end in that you couldn't afford them. No one will fault you for that.
You just happened to send mixed messages in your above post (IMO).

Honestly, your version of 'more useful options' are laughable IMO... in comparison to performance options that actually make the driving experience arguably better (LWB, PCCB, etc.).
In essence, you gave up significant performance options since you desired painted keys, logos, yellow stitching, headlight cleaners, light design, chrono, auto dimming mirors, heated seats, fire extinguisher, folding mirrors, Bose, LEDs, etc, etc. etc.
I get it, you had a budget and had to give up performance options for 'mostly' visual ones or listen to the Bose stereo enroute to C&C.

Can you see how different we all view: "More Useful Options"?! I couldn't be MORE different from you. Guess thats why Porsche gives us options while spec'ing a car.
Regardless, glad you're happy with you build. If this is your first modern Porsche, I hope your honeymoon phase never ends.

To the OP:
My opinion is that leather should always be optioned on a GT car (if you can afford) unless its a track only car.
Secondly, performance options are more important than looks when determining your option list while speccing a car....unless your retired and C&C or PCA show/shine events are important to you.

The following 2 users liked this post by BlazinPond:
BabyNSX (02-07-2023), LeftLane50mph (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 03:18 PM
MechEngr1287
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 49 Posts

This was my dream car purchase and certainly a 'lifer' with me, so I went for the extended leather and red stitching everywhere. Just a personal preference and makes the car 'feel' more upscale and special. Definitely does nothing for the thrill of the drive though as others have mentioned.

Quick Reply: How many people didn't get full leather?....