Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

JCR 718 GT4 v2.0 - PROJECT THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 03:07 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 419 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by motoring
Did the track width change with the switch to centerlocks? I have heard that the track is slightly wider on the gt4rs, and was wondering if that was entirely in the difference between the CL and 5 lug hubs
Pretty sure this is primarily down to the fact that the 4RS just comes with more shim as standard.

But the team will confirm.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:14 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Did the track width change with the switch to centerlocks? I have heard that the track is slightly wider on the gt4rs, and was wondering if that was entirely in the difference between the CL and 5 lug hubs
This video explains the difference between the GT4 and 4RS pretty good. Skip to the 4:28 mark to see them talk about the width difference.

Old 02-27-2023, 03:27 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 419 Likes on 277 Posts

It’s the shims…

Last edited by TDT; 02-27-2023 at 03:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
donR (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 06:08 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
One of the main reasons for going with the centre lock conversion on our car is to enable us to run the factory 718 GT4 RS magnesium wheels which offer a significant weight saving over even the lightest of aftermarket 5-lug options. Shockingly at a reasonably comparative cost too, once all things are considered
Can you elaborate on this comment? What are you comparing this to… aftermarket 5 lug magnesium (or carbon fiber) wheel options?
Old 02-27-2023, 06:50 PM
donR
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts

Very much enjoying this GT4 RS conversion build! I dare say when you are finished this car will be driving better than the OEM GT4 RS especially with the MR suspension kit. I am wondering if you have any data on the stock 4RS versus MR spring rates? Is there much of an increase or change at all? I believe the stock GT4 spring rate is relatively low by comparison. For utlimate brake conversion you already have the Surface Transforms Carbon Cermics but wondering if there is a light weight caliper conversion you could consider like the AP Racing Pro Series caliper?
Old 02-27-2023, 10:10 PM
mprog
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 116 Posts

You know I’m interested !

Thanks,
- Jahan
Old 02-27-2023, 10:45 PM
nothingman
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 93 Posts

INSTALMENT 03 // EXHAUST

We opted to install the combination of our Inconel Race Manifolds and Inconel Link Pipes (Race Catted) onto the 718 GT4 and retain the factory rear silencer SHOP PRODUCT HERE
The factory manifolds are unequal length and manufactured from mild steel and feature extremely restrictive cats.
The JCR Inconel Race Manifolds in comparison are manufactured from Inconel 625 material, featuring equal primary lengths and without cats which allows us to optimise runner lengths within the space made available.

JC
By placing the cats further back in the exhaust where the factory OPF filter is/was, are you able to extend the life of the cat by running it a little cooler in a track environment? I, along with a few others I have read about, have damaged aftermarket HJS HD200 cats in exhausts that are right off of the header due to hard charging on tracks with long straights and I'm looking for a solution that can take the abuse. How do you extend the secondary O2 cable back to the new cat area?
Old 02-28-2023, 04:44 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 939 Likes on 431 Posts

Identical to stock

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
Can you elaborate on this comment? What are you comparing this to… aftermarket 5 lug magnesium (or carbon fiber) wheel options?
HRE R101LW would be our choice. By the time we purchased, shipped and paid import etc it was only ~£1500 for us to buy OEM Magnesium wheels from Porsche and all of the associated Centre Lock parts

Originally Posted by donR
Very much enjoying this GT4 RS conversion build! I dare say when you are finished this car will be driving better than the OEM GT4 RS especially with the MR suspension kit. I am wondering if you have any data on the stock 4RS versus MR spring rates? Is there much of an increase or change at all? I believe the stock GT4 spring rate is relatively low by comparison. For utlimate brake conversion you already have the Surface Transforms Carbon Cermics but wondering if there is a light weight caliper conversion you could consider like the AP Racing Pro Series caliper?
Yes we're working on a direct replacement calliper, completely bespoke. Stiffer, lighter and slimmer than the factory calliper. Expecting that we will have the parts on the car in the next few months for the first phase of testing

Originally Posted by nothingman
By placing the cats further back in the exhaust where the factory OPF filter is/was, are you able to extend the life of the cat by running it a little cooler in a track environment? I, along with a few others I have read about, have damaged aftermarket HJS HD200 cats in exhausts that are right off of the header due to hard charging on tracks with long straights and I'm looking for a solution that can take the abuse. How do you extend the secondary O2 cable back to the new cat area?
We've never encountered any issues with HJS cats. A cat gets a much harder time on a turbo application and we run the exact same cat on our 992 Turbo and 991 GT2RS exhaust products with zero issues. For the repositioning of the Lambda sensor we supply an loom extension

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 02-28-2023, 04:44 AM
DrainsWalletsFast
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
The idea for GT4 models would be to run 380 discs to clear 18" wheels. This total package could save around 60lbs of unsprung weight (most of which is also rotating mass as well).
I bought a GT4 but was bummed it had regular iron rotors with the red calipers. This definitely sounds intriguing depending on the cost. I was already eyeballing used PCCBs or new ST rotors as a possible change either soon or after I run out of the standard brakes. After putting stock wheels on a car that had lightweight wheels come off and feeling the difference it made, I'm now very motivated by reducing unsprung and rotating mass.

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
Yeah I'm actually quite curious the cost and also the level of weight savings.

Last edited by DrainsWalletsFast; 02-28-2023 at 04:48 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 06:58 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
Yeah I'm actually quite curious the cost and also the level of weight savings.
I'll confirm all weight savings in a dedicated post soon. It's pretty significant

JC
Old 02-28-2023, 09:48 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,477 Likes on 918 Posts

Identical to stock
Hi Jonny...are we positive on this? No change in the dimensions between CL and 5-lug hub?

BTW...do you know the weight of the OEM Mag wheels?
Old 02-28-2023, 10:03 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Hi Jonny...are we positive on this? No change in the dimensions between CL and 5-lug hub?

BTW...do you know the weight of the OEM Mag wheels?
Positive, the bearing assembly is the same stack height and bolts directly to the upright in the same way as stock. Any difference that Porsche quote on track width is due to shim and/or upright

The Mag wheels are identical size to stock GT4 wheels too, width and offset

For the weights I need to get around to compiling all the weights and ill share. It's pretty significant and you can certainly feel it when driving the car, even at normal speeds

JC
The following 2 users liked this post by JCR-Porsche:
TDT (02-28-2023), thomas_gt4 (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 09:37 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 277 Posts

Identical to stock

HRE R101LW would be our choice. By the time we purchased, shipped and paid import etc it was only ~£1500 for us to buy OEM Magnesium wheels from Porsche and all of the associated Centre Lock parts
1,500 or 15,000?
Old 02-28-2023, 09:46 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,702 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
1,500 or 15,000?
Jonny might be referring to the cost difference between the two types of wheel packages...
Old 03-02-2023, 11:40 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bents
1,500 or 15,000?
Originally Posted by Westcoast
Jonny might be referring to the cost difference between the two types of wheel packages...
Sorry yes I was, it was £1500 more (I left that part out) oops!!

JC

Quick Reply: JCR 718 GT4 v2.0 - PROJECT THREAD