Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Got a speeding ticket for Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2022 | 12:43 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
I would also highly recommend a GOOD radar detector as well!......just for peace of mind....they are not foolproof and don't protect in all circumstances, but I stress a little less when my right foot gets heavy. Of course, I kinda went a little overboard and got a Radenso RCM which is hidden behind the front bumper, along with an AL Priority laser detector which scrambles the signal if hit by a laser.....it's overboard and expensive but I would otherwise get too anxious when having fun...(these are not legal in all states).
You can pickup a nice detector for probably $500...
My thoughts exactly. The cop probably was running with KA band on to pick you up and it does the math to show him your speed. The good thing about KA band is that it sends our a huge wave in front of it that you can pick up with a good detectorBEFORE he sees you, and slow down.

IF I'm going to drive a bit over the speed limit I travel with a) Radar on (to pick up the KA band), b) WAZE, and c) situational awareness of where the local police park (off-ramps) with their instant-on radar. The other route is to instal the scrabbler system, which as stated by Big Belly is illegal in all states).

Me, just pay the bill and get a good detector and start playing the game.

Sorry for your ticket.

JP
Old 12-28-2022 | 01:19 PM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeus993
My thoughts exactly. The cop probably was running with KA band on to pick you up and it does the math to show him your speed. The good thing about KA band is that it sends our a huge wave in front of it that you can pick up with a good detectorBEFORE he sees you, and slow down.

IF I'm going to drive a bit over the speed limit I travel with a) Radar on (to pick up the KA band), b) WAZE, and c) situational awareness of where the local police park (off-ramps) with their instant-on radar. The other route is to instal the scrabbler system, which as stated by Big Belly is illegal in all states).

Me, just pay the bill and get a good detector and start playing the game.

Sorry for your ticket.

JP
Hi JP! Agree with everything you said, especially using WAZE in conjunction with a detector.....heck, if you are going to use google maps, you might as well use WAZE for the mapping and get all of the added benefits of recent police sightings, etc....
One note, you mentioned a 'scrabbler' so not sure if you are referring to the laser jammers in the cases where an officer is using laser instead of radar, but these are legal in many States. (As some may know or may not know, from a timing standpoint, lasers are impossible to beat of they are able to get a clear reading on a vehicle since they literally operate at the speed of light....and a radar detector many times won't help much with laser, thus the beauty of the laser jammers. Alex (above) mentioned the 'Vortex' website/youtube channel......GREAT resource....he actually lives in a suburb of Seattle and he ran a test with about a dozen different laser jammers that I participated in, which was awesome to get feedback and confirm the system works.).......anyhoo, for laser jammers, I googled to see where they are illegal and this came up:
Laser Jammers are illegal to use in California, Illinois, Colorado, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Nebraska, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Tennessee, Virginia, and Washington D.C. But since there is no federal law banning them, they can be used in other states.
Good luck!
Old 12-28-2022 | 01:36 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Update, just checked my insurance policy (Amica) and they spell out their point system for rating. They don't look at the points that the State applies, they use their own point system based on the infraction. A ticket for under 10mph over the speed limit is 1/2 point, but they waive that if no other infractions in prior three years. So I am good as long as I don't get any more any time soon. Time to shop radar detectors.
The following 3 users liked this post by GrandPaJohn:
AdamIsAdam (12-28-2022), Big Belly 711 (12-28-2022), tigerhonaker (12-29-2022)
Old 12-28-2022 | 03:01 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by justabout
Your insurance company will know about this. They are regulated by your state and the regulations will determine if they assess a penalty. Don’t make any assumptions!

My wife was pulled over In Pennsylvania for an expired registration. She did not get a ticket but the pullover was entered into a database. Years later when shopping around for new insurance, they disclosed they knew about the incident. Although the reason for the pullover was not in the database, they assumed it was for speeding.

It’s been “1984” for quite a while.
Did that negatively affect you with getting insurance though? If so how is that legal?

One of my friends always has maximum tickets on his record. His strategy is he has a really good ticket guy who fights all his tickets and gets him off pretty much everything. He pays for that privilege but it works.

I've had one ticket in my life (for 10kph over), but I used to speed a fair bit and chalk it up to being omniscience with cop movements (so many times I thought hmm, I think a cop is near, slowed down, and then passed a speed trap within 1km) as well as having a flawless record every time I get pulled over. The few times I've been pulled over in my life has been for really dumb stuff, like I did a full on drift in an intersection in front a cop and then took off 30kph above the limit in a blizzard. Excluding the one ticket I got every interaction played out the same, cop comes up mad, takes my license, comes back a few minutes later and says you can go. I haven't done anything really stupid since I started going to the track, but I got away with a lot when I was younger before I knew there was race tracks in my area; like I went through a full tank of gas in 42 minutes... 42 minutes of wide open throttle.

Now where I 'speed' is in unlikely places. There are never any speed traps in the corners or offramps. Usually I can still keep the speed at the limit so technically legal, although the corner was so not designed for the limit. RCMP usually do not do speed traps in passing areas in the mountains either. There is never a speed trap going up a mountain either as most people's cars can't handle accelerating up some of the mountains we have.
Old 12-28-2022 | 07:10 PM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Never ever admit you were speeding and always contest the ticket.
https://www.tkevinwilsonlawyer.com/f...ng-defense.cfm
The measuring device needs to be calibrated before and after shift and the tuning fork used every 6 months.
The same goes for the cop car's speedometer

Very often the issuing officer doesn't end up at the hearing but if they do, you can ask them if they can document that requisite calibrations.
Old 12-28-2022 | 08:47 PM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

Do not plead guilty , plead not guilty and appear before the DA and negotiate a different infraction such as no directional with should be no points but you will still have to pay the fine . Be humble and polite and you should be fine as long as your past record isn't speed racer
Old 01-01-2023 | 09:36 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Did that negatively affect you with getting insurance though? If so how is that legal?”

Zaho, they were simply trying to get her to admit to speeding but they got nothing. They gave a good rate and we switched to that company. Don’t remember which one, it’s been switched a few times over the years.

Pennsylvania LEOs used to issue “good guy tickets” for minor speeding infractions. There were no points and the ticket stated “failure to obey posted sign”. A friendly way to punish someone without compelling them to request a court hearing. Not sure if state regs allow insurance penalties in that case.
The following users liked this post:
Zhao (01-01-2023)
Old 01-01-2023 | 10:40 AM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Understood. Are you setting the detector to ignore K band entirely?
Yes, most detectors have a place in their settings where you can toggle either the entire band, or the narrow frequencies depending on your locality.
Old 01-01-2023 | 12:31 PM
BDonaher
Rennlist Member

Not sure what the US is like, but in Canada courts are extremely backed up. I have a ticket from last year that I submitted my intention to fight and I haven’t even gotten close to getting to a court. If nothing else that could buy you some time.
Old 01-01-2023 | 03:43 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Yup, Canada is so backed up it's a complete joke of a legal system IMO.

My buddy I mentioned with ticket guy got a call from him in november saying he got him off for a big ticket that dated back 3 years ago.

My former employer was getting sued by some idiot from an incident pre-covid (guy abandoned a vehicle and the county impounded it). I finally did a webinar this summer with a judge and the other guy to see if he even had a legitimate claim. Judge said he doesn't, but he's going to proceed. He'll win now because that business didn't survive covid and I'm going to no show the trial. So 3-4 years for small claims?

My former employer also was dealing with another incident we were getting sued for I wasn't dealing with (lady walked into a wall instead of walking out the door she came into, clearly the business is to blame) that she's claiming all kinds of major injuries for... so insurance was handling it. It was even older and hadn't even got to being seen by a judge yet. So that's 4+ years.
Old 01-01-2023 | 04:38 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

In California, you can ask for a Trial by written declaration. If the officer responds, ask for a Trial de Novo and if you lose, you can still ask for traffic school. This may not apply in your case and will depend on how much time you want to spend on this. You also have the chance to file an Affidavit of Prejudice Peremptory Challenge to Judicial Officer before the Trial de Novo. Good luck

Last edited by 718socal; 01-01-2023 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Got a speeding ticket for Christmas