Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Advice with really weird dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 04:29 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

The Spyder is a road friendly car in terms of compliance and tire noise in my opinion. Stock exhaust system is quiet enough to make it easy to live with on a daily basis despite less sound insulation. Front spoiler is kind of a nuisance at times as LA has steep driveways being a cramped city and while the manual roof requires minimal effort and time it is not very ‘convenient’ for daily purposes. Sometimes I don’t want to bother dealing with the manual roof for short drives as I don’t want the hassle of putting it back up after 10 minutes. Can it be driven as a daily? Sure. Is it the better car to live with as a daily (in terms of convenience) over a GTS 4.0? No.

I love my Spyder, it’s a fantastic sports car! But I do have a daily and it makes driving the Spyder more of an occasion. It really makes me smile every single time I open my garage. Simply a gorgeous car. While buying a Boxster GTS 4.0 would have made my life easier due to automatic roof and offering basically the same (or 90%) experience on the road, it would have left me lusting for the beautiful Spyder.

Only you can make the decision that is right for you.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 04:42 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by justince
Great idea -- I asked the dealer to see if they could swap the allocation for something else with another dealer.

If they can't, I'm gonna take the Spyder. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if I should take the Spyder anyway...I'm mostly just concerned about scraping up the darn thing with lots of really poor roads I frequent.
You need to be clear with yourself why you don’t’ want one or why you want the other. I don’t think you are. Not taking a Spyder because you might scrape the replaceable spoiler is nuts. If the GTS packaging appeals more to you, and your use, then that makes sense too. Really there’s no wrong choice, which makes it harder.

I think the GTS is what the GT3 Touring should be. Same engine, slightly softer setup and more creature comforts.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:42 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
You need to be clear with yourself why you don’t’ want one or why you want the other. I don’t think you are. Not taking a Spyder because you might scrape the replaceable spoiler is nuts. If the GTS packaging appeals more to you, and your use, then that makes sense too. Really there’s no wrong choice, which makes it harder.

I think the GTS is what the GT3 Touring should be. Same engine, slightly softer setup and more creature comforts.
+1
The GTS is most of what a Spyder is on track, just look at track times. Doubtful any driver will ever extract that delta on public roads, but for some its nice to know the Spyder is that capable, plus it looks a lot better. Vast appeal of these cars appeal and their success is their 4.0 + mid-engine + MT option, be it in GT or GTS format, smiles per mile will be very very high. The base chassis and geometry is the key.

I'd bet if Porsche added the Spyder front styling to the BGTS, a lot fewer would buy the Spyder simply for its aero/suspension. On both GTS variants, its a pity Porsche didn't make the GTS 4.0 front styling a bit more aggressive over the base models.

P-car-Vancouver (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 02:51 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
+1
The GTS is most of what a Spyder is on track, just look at track times. Doubtful any driver will ever extract that delta on public roads, but for some its nice to know the Spyder is that capable, plus it looks a lot better. Vast appeal of these cars appeal and their success is their 4.0 + mid-engine + MT option, be it in GT or GTS format, smiles per mile will be very very high. The base chassis and geometry is the key.

I'd bet if Porsche added the Spyder front styling to the BGTS, a lot fewer would buy the Spyder simply for its aero/suspension. On both GTS variants, its a pity Porsche didn't make the GTS 4.0 front styling a bit more aggressive over the base models.
Your statements above are quite true and I agree. Driving a convertible with 3 point belt on track did not make me feel like I was in the safest car to begin with. Therefore I never felt like pushing myself on track as I used to in the GT3.

981 Spyder was basically a GTS chassis/suspension with a GT4 engine and GT styling. 981 GTS front looked way more aggressive than 718 GTS. 718 GTS front is quite a let down for me personally, especially for the GTS 4.0 considering how well the engine performs.

A Cayman GTS 4.0 with GT4 front bumper and GT4 RS rear diffuser would simply look amazing! If I could go back in time it may have been what I would do to begin with.
Old 11-20-2022, 03:43 AM
goretexpretzels
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

Having recently gone from 718 Spyder to Cayman GTS 4.0, I'd say the personality of those two cars differ a decent, but not overwhelming amount. GT suspension is more high strung, tramlines, just feels like a more energetic, frantic and precise chassis. GTS is solid, smooth, drama free. If you're not tracking the car, GTS is a noticeably better all-rounder that is virtually as capable in performance as the GT suspension (not considering adjustability). If you want that bit more drama, which makes the car more 'special' feeling at the cost of some comfort/refinement, Spyder it is.
The following 5 users liked this post by goretexpretzels:
baege (11-20-2022), manifold danger (11-20-2022), P-car-Vancouver (11-20-2022), RoadrunnerGTS (11-20-2022), UncleDude (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 09:28 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by goretexpretzels
If you want that bit more drama, which makes the car more 'special' feeling at the cost of some comfort/refinement, Spyder it is.
Spyder is more dramatic, but it's not like the GTS isn't a great looking car.

And I do agree that the 981 GTS looked far better and more distinctive compared the "lesser" models. 718s basically all look the same.

And another angle to the GTS vs Spyder debate that might actually help- for me personally, it all came down to the "wife test". My wife has always (mostly) loved my cars, but for the past few years she's basically become a part of the process because she drives them a lot now (and I drive hers, which is why I just picked up a Macan GTS ). She's another reason I've had 3 Boxsters; she just really loves the Boxster in particular.

I even tried to win her over with the Spyder because I do think they look fantastic. Initially she took one look at the roof and said "no way"; I showed her a YT video of the roof in action to try to convince her it wasn't that big a deal, and she laughed in my face.

You have to get OUT of the car; doesn't matter if it takes 1 minute, 5 minutes, 30 seconds... you have to get out of the car. Combine that with the gimmicky door pulls, no entry and drive, etc. (not to mention ADM) and we didn't even bother trying to find one to drive. GTS was it for me for what I want out of my car.

If scraping is sincerely the only concern, then you're going to scrape in any sports car, might as well just dismiss that and get what you want. The parts you'll be scraping are replaceable. If there are other factors beyond that (seems there is), then get what you want, and don't settle.

As I said earlier I'd skip the "take the Spyder now" approach too because you WILL lose more money than you think on that. Unless money just isn't a concern.

Last edited by manifold danger; 11-20-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:31 AM
confused66
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts
Default +1 for the GBTS

I agree with some and not with others, but I've had my BGTS for > a year and LOVE it. Nothing like being able to pull a switch and have the world come streaming in (and I HATE the hassle that goes along with putting the roof up and taking it down on a Spyder.) I've driven in the sun, then it starts to rain, then it's sunny again, and all I have to do is pull a switch and all is right with the world. The many, many steps of the Spyder top is what helped sway me to the BGTS and I've never looked back. I'm sure there are some others will disagree vehemently, but I don't care. This car is for me and it makes me happy.

Last edited by confused66; 11-20-2022 at 10:37 AM. Reason: additional info

Quick Reply: Advice with really weird dilemma