Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Advice with really weird dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 02:10 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Advice with really weird dilemma

I say really weird because I'm probably one of the very few psychos who would prefer a GTS over a spyder but...
TL;DR on a wait list for awhile for a BGTS, instead dealer has a spyder allocation which they are offering to me, March delivery. Dealer thinks they'll have a BGTS allocation for me for June delivery, but this is only a guess.

I initially preferred the GTS because I plan on street driving the car, not like a daily but close, and rarely going to the track. I think I can live with the roof, but what worries me is the lowered ride height (I live in a metropolitan area with really bad roads, so extra ground clearance is important to me). I also plan on keeping the car forever/long term, so resale wasn't too much of a concern.

Thoughts on raising the Spyder by 20mm or so?? Is this completely sacrilegious? Will the factory even do this upon request? Should I wait?

Last edited by justince; 11-18-2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2022, 02:21 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Read @tigerhonaker thread about 4x4'ing his GT4
The following users liked this post:
Alan C. (11-19-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 02:31 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Read @tigerhonaker thread about 4x4'ing his GT4
Haha, alright I'll check it out. I know raising the suspension should be possible as it's adjustable -- but I kind of want the dealer or factory to do it just in case if anything goes wrong else with the car I'll keep my warranty. It IS a deal breaker for me as the ground clearance stock would be an absolute nightmare in my area. I plan on street driving the car regularly, not tracking it regularly so this is a must.
Old 11-18-2022, 02:34 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

If you want the GTS, get the GTS.

Besides top and ride height, many other differences impact daily livability. Chassis, PASM, Spyder top, etc..

My son had a GTS; quite a different experience.
Dr.Bill (11-20-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 03:00 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by justince
Haha, alright I'll check it out. I know raising the suspension should be possible as it's adjustable -- but I kind of want the dealer or factory to do it just in case if anything goes wrong else with the car I'll keep my warranty. It IS a deal breaker for me as the ground clearance stock would be an absolute nightmare in my area. I plan on street driving the car regularly, not tracking it regularly so this is a must.
Just get the GTS - great car. I've had both (cayman GTS and now a spyder) and have not scraped the spyder anywhere including ferry entries, speed bumps.... I don't think it is that much lower. Jacked up GT car is not a good look IMO, and the PASM stance on the GTS is quite nice, the raised PASM on the GTS (10mm) starts to look a bit off to my eye (like a base model).
Old 11-18-2022, 03:17 PM
dgwhitten
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I will echo others who suggest that you get the CGTS. I am awaiting mine to be built and will be ditching my 991.2 TTS for it. Why? Drivability and fit with my use of the car. I have a Panamera GTS for those time when something fast and quick is not the right answer (not that the Penny is not a fabulous car). But the TTS is just too much car to be running around town in. Too big, too fast. Just too much car with limits way too high to actually make use of. So my point is that best fits what you want from it. The Spyders look awesome but for daily utility, just like my TTS, seems to me that they don't quite fit the bill.
Underblu (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 03:51 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
If you want the GTS, get the GTS.

Besides top and ride height, many other differences impact daily livability. Chassis, PASM, Spyder top, etc..

My son had a GTS; quite a different experience.
+1 on this ^^
GTS is also low (+10mm over Spyder). It is the longer lip and rear diffuser height that impact approach/departure angles on the Spyder/GT4, not so much ride height. As mentioned, there's more differences relating to daily driving between the 2, such as NVH and practicality.

You don't want a daily car that is too impractical as will reduce the seat-time enjoyment factor, which was my decision of a GTS>GT4 after driving both multiple times. That's not to say you can't daily a Spyder, but personal preference as to what your tolerances are, and only you can answer that.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:51 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

All I can tell you is that I **LOVE** my '21 BGTS on both street and track; I had bought a '20 GT4 and found it superb on track but really not ok for street, and I've had a bunch of P-cars with highly modified suspensions that I felt were ok for a DD, but not the GT4.

Again, I love my BGTS. And convertibles are fun, but the CGTS would be equally sensible, I assume.
Lucifer (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 07:25 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

As much as I love the look of the Spyder, I love my BGTS as well. It's actually my 3rd Boxster GTS, I've owned all generations- 981, 718 2.5T and now the 718 4.0- and it will be serving as my primary vehicle. Throw in a mandatory ADM for a Spyder even at my dealer with an established relationship, and it was a no brainer to go GTS all the way.

Track duty, daily duty, long trips- the BGTS does it all. And I just drove it all throughout DC the other day, my personal true test of a car's ride quality with some of the worst roads I've ever driven on, and it was a breeze. I wouldn't recommend a full coffee, but it was very much tolerable. Better than an F82 M4 I had with adaptive suspension, and FAR better than a 2015 STI I had.

Mine has the standard SPASM suspension that comes with the GTS. I wouldn't even recommend the higher ride height, as others say it does sort of start to chip away about what makes a GTS a GTS.
UncleDude (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 08:21 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 379 Posts

Just curious, where do you live?
Old 11-18-2022, 08:23 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 785 Likes on 449 Posts

I have the optional 10mm higher GTS suspension and it rides great. I didn’t get to order mine but it pretty much had everything else I wanted. Performance wise on the street you’re going to be hard pressed to tell a difference between the Spyder and BGTS. I enjoy the extra practicality of the top too. Interior is identical, engine is identical, lights are identical, doors are the same….they are. 99.99% the same car.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:05 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

I appreciate the responses guys. A lot of you are advocating to wait on the GTS allocation, whenever/if they ever get it, which I did NOT expect.

I have not driven a GTS, but I have driven a spyder (982) and a base 981, certainly a very big difference in suspension/feel between those two outside of power. I think the stiffer suspension I could live with day-to-day, it's just a matter of ground clearance and stuff.

I really need to mull this over...

Last edited by justince; 11-18-2022 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:10 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

I say really weird because I'm probably one of the very few psychos who would prefer a GTS over a spyder but...
TL;DR on a wait list for awhile for a BGTS, instead dealer has a spyder allocation which they are offering to me, March delivery. Dealer thinks they'll have a BGTS allocation for me for June delivery, but this is only a guess.

I initially preferred the GTS because I plan on street driving the car, not like a daily but close, and rarely going to the track. I think I can live with the roof, but what worries me is the lowered ride height (I live in a metropolitan area with really bad roads, so extra ground clearance is important to me). I also plan on keeping the car forever/long term, so resale wasn't too much of a concern.

Thoughts on raising the Spyder by 20mm or so?? Is this completely sacrilegious? Will the factory even do this upon request? Should I wait?

You can set either car up to be a reasonable daily driver. I keep my Spyder in “sport” mode and find the ride reasonably comfortable on less than ideal roads. I haven’t driven a recent GTS but I have driven the previous 981 gen Boxsters and numerous 991 series 911s and the differences in ride comfort are relatively minor afaic. None of these cars ride like Maybach mind you.

Fwiw, I’ve found my 718 Spyders to be significantly more comfortable than my previous 981 Spyder. And as I mentioned in a another thread, my current 2022 Spyder with PCCBs feels even more compliant over bumps than my 2020 Spyder with irons. I now keep the car in sport mode pretty much all the time.

Now as far as dealing with driveways and other inclines, almost every Porsche I’ve owned has scraped the ground from time to time. I don’t know how much the 10mm of clearance will ultimately make. Bottom line, unless you hate the manual top on the Spyder or think the extra clearance will be meaningful, I’d grab that Spyder. This may be it for these mid engine petrol Porsches and as they say “A bird in the hand . . .” YMMV
The following 2 users liked this post by Underblu:
dnimi123 (11-18-2022), HerkDriver (11-29-2023)
Old 11-18-2022, 09:31 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Get the Spyder! Who cares if you scuff the splitter or diffuser - there are cheap plastic/vinyl replaceable parts for a few hundred bucks. So is the under belly. You can raise these cars a bit so why not take the much better car. Thats my 2 cents.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:34 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

I appreciate the responses guys. A lot of you are advocating to wait on the GTS allocation, whenever/if they ever get it, which I did NOT expect.

I have not driven a GTS, but I have driven a spyder (982) and a base 981, certainly a very big difference in suspension/feel between those two outside of power. I think the stiffer suspension I could live with day-to-day, it's just a matter of ground clearance and stuff.

I really need to mull this over...
As I say above forget about ground clearance and if you scrape the under side of the car - its all cheaply replaceable. I have a 982 GT4 and scrape it all the time and the car runs more than fine! You should not baby these cars - they are meant to be driven and enjoyed. As they say 'drive it like you stole it' which I do daily!

Quick Reply: Advice with really weird dilemma