Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Advice with really weird dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 10:11 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Get the Spyder! Who cares if you scuff the splitter or diffuser - there are cheap plastic/vinyl replaceable parts for a few hundred bucks. So is the under belly. You can raise these cars a bit so why not take the much better car. Thats my 2 cents.
Its not a "much better car". Many journalist reviews have stated the BGTS is the better road and canyon car due to compliance. Spyder certainly better track car, although vast majority never see the track.
Regardless, both fantastic options to have, but a daily Spyder would get on my nerves. Its all personal preference, tolerance to NVH, practicality and roads where you live.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:23 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Its not a "much better car". Many journalist reviews have stated the BGTS is the better road and canyon car due to compliance. Spyder certainly better track car, although vast majority never see the track.
Regardless, both fantastic options to have, but a daily Spyder would get on my nerves. Its all personal preference, tolerance to NVH, practicality and roads where you live.
Agree, personal preference. But you really cant rely on the paid promotional advertising that appears in the form of 'automobile journalism'. The Spyder is the one to get. Ive driven the Sypder and its very easy to daily if you dont mind the roof. I daily my GT4 and ive modified it to be very capable and more compliant. So my thoughts to OP stand as he has a chance at a Spyder NOW and not something else maybe later.
The following users liked this post:
Underblu (11-19-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 10:27 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Spyder is my primary car, it does everything I need it to do and I never find it jarring. I don’t sit in traffic with it 2 hours a day but when I go out, unless the dog is with me, that’s the one I take. I don’t find the ride harsh at all, so if I were the OP I would not let ride quality dissuade you from a Spyder. It rewards you with a pretty amazing ride / feel, and I would not let 10mm of ride clearance stand between you and the best car in the lineup! (biased).
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
dnimi123 (11-18-2022), Underblu (11-19-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 10:49 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 762 Likes on 351 Posts

Agree, personal preference. But you really cant rely on the paid promotional advertising that appears in the form of 'automobile journalism'. The Spyder is the one to get. Ive driven the Sypder and its very easy to daily if you dont mind the roof. I daily my GT4 and ive modified it to be very capable and more compliant. So my thoughts to OP stand as he has a chance at a Spyder NOW and not something else maybe later.
Why is the Spyder the one to get when OP says he's gonna daily it? The Spyder is the worse car for that purpose.
The only thing going for the Spyder in that regard is that it may (or may not) keep its value better.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:41 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by danielzy
Why is the Spyder the one to get when OP says he's gonna daily it? The Spyder is the worse car for that purpose.
The only thing going for the Spyder in that regard is that it may (or may not) keep its value better.
Yeah, the value proposition is a wash too. I should have mentioned I'm going manual -- it's a lot easier to find a Spyder in manual than a BGTS, and it reflects it in the resale currently. I wish i had a BGTS or CGTS to test drive to really get a difference of the feel..
Old 11-18-2022, 11:55 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by justince
Yeah, the value proposition is a wash too. I should have mentioned I'm going manual -- it's a lot easier to find a Spyder in manual than a BGTS, and it reflects it in the resale currently. I wish i had a BGTS or CGTS to test drive to really get a difference of the feel..
What bothered me the most when I joined a friend in his Spyder was the road\wind\tyers noise as well as the front lip. Also it is much more eye-catching which I find as a disadvantage (personally I want to enjoy my car, know I have something special, but draw as less attention as possible). My Giulia Quadrifoglio was amazing in that regard - only those who knew - knew.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:58 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

If looks matter get the Spyder - best looking Porsche hands down right now, and I do not see why it could not be a daily driver - the only one to say that would have to be a non-Spyder owner.

And the BGTS is not 99.99% the same car.as a Spyder!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
dnimi123 (11-19-2022), Underblu (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 12:00 AM
justince
Rennlist Member

What bothered me the most when I joined a friend in his Spyder was the road\wind\tyers noise as well as the front lip. Also it is much more eye-catching which I find as a disadvantage (personally I want to enjoy my car, know I have something special, but draw as less attention as possible). My Giulia Quadrifoglio was amazing in that regard - only those who knew - knew.
So while the tire noise is a concern, I have a strong inclination with summer tires compared to the cup 2's (which is what i'd spec), the tire noise will be very similar to the BGTS. Can anyone confirm/deny?
Old 11-19-2022, 12:07 AM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

So while the tire noise is a concern, I have a strong inclination with summer tires compared to the cup 2's (which is what i'd spec), the tire noise will be very similar to the BGTS. Can anyone confirm/deny?
He actually had 4Ss on, I believe the increase noise was from worse sound isolation. It was really noisy.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:08 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

IMO, correct. I ordered my Spyder with the summer tires (Michelin PS4s) and I do not notice any tire noise at all.
The following users liked this post:
dnimi123 (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 12:30 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 540 Posts

Harris, Catchpole, and Sutcliffe hardly "paid promotional advertising"

Any how, as said both fantastic options. I found the GT4's suspension fine and far more compliant than various ///M cars I have owned. It was the 'rawness' of the GT4 that put me off it as a daily, which is likely because I was personally not looking for another raw car. Simply put, GT cars = track focused car for street and track; GTS = street/touring car with light track focus. Often I have a niggle of regret not getting a GT4 instead, but GTS pro's for my lifestyle quickly negate that niggle.

OP be happy with either, but ultimately OP needs to decide what side of the fence he sits on. GTS is a better road/touring car.

I'll just leave this here...

The following 2 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
Lucifer (11-19-2022), UncleDude (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 01:03 AM
justince
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Harris, Catchpole, and Sutcliffe hardly "paid promotional advertising"

Any how, as said both fantastic options. I found the GT4's suspension fine and far more compliant than various ///M cars I have owned. It was the 'rawness' of the GT4 that put me off it as a daily, which is likely because I was personally not looking for another raw car. Simply put, GT cars = track focused car for street and track; GTS = street/touring car with light track focus. Often I have a niggle of regret not getting a GT4 instead, but GTS pro's for my lifestyle quickly negate that niggle.

OP be happy with either, but ultimately OP needs to decide what side of the fence he sits on. GTS is a better road/touring car.

I'll just leave this here...

https://youtu.be/2UdFED2cgZs?t=160

https://youtu.be/e_0OmNUcdCM?t=72
Part of me is also worried about allocations in general. Probably being paranoid, but I suppose there is a chance they don't get another GTS allocation (I'm second in line, presumably the guy ahead of me passed on the spyder).
Old 11-19-2022, 01:20 AM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

With the scarcity of allocations, I'd take the Spyder and see how it goes. I don't think you'll struggle to flip a Spyder for a GTS if you decide the Spyder isn't right for you. A bird in the hand...
The following 4 users liked this post by rusmani:
0-Day (11-19-2022), dnimi123 (11-19-2022), Manoverpdk (11-19-2022), Toon902 (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 01:27 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
If looks matter get the Spyder - best looking Porsche hands down right now, and I do not see why it could not be a daily driver - the only one to say that would have to be a non-Spyder owner.

And the BGTS is not 99.99% the same car.as a Spyder!
Finally we agree! I dont see the dilemma here as this is truly a no brainer. This should be the easiest decision you make all week!
Old 11-19-2022, 01:33 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

He actually had 4Ss on, I believe the increase noise was from worse sound isolation. It was really noisy.
Pffft. you live in the bay area with high winds and crappy roads and weather - of course you wouldnt want a Spyder. This is once in a generation car and if its a Spyder or potentially no car or BGTS then its not even close. If you want a coupe then dont get either and wait for the CGTS... OK now that this is decided dont we have better things to do?

Quick Reply: Advice with really weird dilemma