Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Advice with really weird dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 01:49 AM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Pffft. you live in the bay area with high winds and crappy roads and weather - of course you wouldnt want a Spyder. This is once in a generation car and if its a Spyder or potentially no car or BGTS then its not even close. If you want a coupe then dont get either and wait for the CGTS... OK now that this is decided dont we have better things to do?
Part of the problem is I do live in an area with crappy roads and weather, lol
Old 11-19-2022, 01:52 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by justince
Part of me is also worried about allocations in general. Probably being paranoid, but I suppose there is a chance they don't get another GTS allocation (I'm second in line, presumably the guy ahead of me passed on the spyder).
Take the Spyder (bird in hand). Keep GTS order too and make decision later. You won't lose on the Spyder, likely make a few $

EDIT: Spyder is 100% fantastic looking car, likely best on offer.... with top down. Neither look that great with top up IMO, although Spyder top-up > BGTS top-up.

Last edited by RoadrunnerGTS; 11-19-2022 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:11 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Agree, personal preference. But you really cant rely on the paid promotional advertising that appears in the form of 'automobile journalism'. The Spyder is the one to get. Ive driven the Sypder and its very easy to daily if you dont mind the roof. I daily my GT4 and ive modified it to be very capable and more compliant. So my thoughts to OP stand as he has a chance at a Spyder NOW and not something else maybe later.
You keep going on with these conspiracy theories. It's kind of your thing, isn't it?

I think I'd still rather take "paid promotional advertising" than "random tinfoil-hat wearing forum guy".

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
If looks matter get the Spyder - best looking Porsche hands down right now, and I do not see why it could not be a daily driver - the only one to say that would have to be a non-Spyder owner.

And the BGTS is not 99.99% the same car.as a Spyder!
A Spyder absolutely could be a daily driver, but the important thing to consider that a lot of people don't is one's personal tolerance for what they actually want to choose to deal with in a daily driver. Myself included.

I got a 991.2 C2S 7MT, with SPASM, SC, PSE, RAS- pretty much everything I could have wanted in a Porsche sports car, it truly was an amazing spec- with the intent to drive it every day.

But that car was just so FATIGUING to drive every day... and it wasn't JUST the ride, or JUST the noise, or JUST the manual transmission in traffic... it was a combination of all of those things. And I'd argue that a 991.2 is easier to live with than a Spyder, which adds the fiddly roof with less noise isolation and a race-bred suspension to the mix.

And more on that suspension- on your 99.99% comment, I'll agree that's hyperbole. But let's think about it for a second- aside from looks, the suspension is really the only other true difference, right? You can't really argue that. So when someone says it's "mostly" the same car, I tend to agree. In "99.99%" (hyperbole but you get the point) of situations, with a proverbial "blindfold" on, the driving experience is going to be essentially the same. Respected journalists such as Catchpole and Harris agree, just watch the videos above.

The only one to say differently would be a Spyder owner. IMO.

All of that to say, in my earlier post I advocated that the OP get the GTS, as it's a better fit for what they want in a car- similar to my situation... but there is the matter of allocation distribution, and there's a Spyder available right now. If I were in the position of the OP, I'd have to think long and hard as well... but I'm assuming there's an ADM involved, and to me, that kills the whole deal. Especially if it's not exactly what the OP wants, plus the market seems to be turning- unless you literally have money to wipe your *** with, that's not an appealing proposition at all.

Unless you can effectively convince yourself that you really want a Spyder, or are fully ok with losing the full value of whatever ADM they're charging (not a guarantee you will but certainly a risk), then continue to wait for the GTS.

I think the fear of "running out of allocations" is overblown. Everyone seems to forget they're opening up an entirely separate plant later this year just to build 718s. I feel like everyone who wants one of these cars right now is going to get one... but that's easy for me to say, as I have mine sitting in the garage right now.
The following users liked this post:
P-car-Vancouver (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 09:13 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by justince
I say really weird because I'm probably one of the very few psychos who would prefer a GTS over a spyder but...
TL;DR on a wait list for awhile for a BGTS, instead dealer has a spyder allocation which they are offering to me, March delivery. Dealer thinks they'll have a BGTS allocation for me for June delivery, but this is only a guess.

I initially preferred the GTS because I plan on street driving the car, not like a daily but close, and rarely going to the track. I think I can live with the roof, but what worries me is the lowered ride height (I live in a metropolitan area with really bad roads, so extra ground clearance is important to me). I also plan on keeping the car forever/long term, so resale wasn't too much of a concern.

Thoughts on raising the Spyder by 20mm or so?? Is this completely sacrilegious? Will the factory even do this upon request? Should I wait?
You said it, you prefer a GTS.

Have a good discussion with your dealer about where you are on the list for the GTS.

If you are truly #1 on the GTS list, you should get your car. You just have to be patient.

Spyder roof is a PITA compared with GTS. It doesn’t take that long once you are good with it. But just look at it, well worth the hassle IMO.

No, I won’t raise the suspension. That doesn’t make sense. Just let it scrape. Only PAG can dream up the Dakar and make money from it.

The ride quality difference is real. Try to find a GT4/ Spyder locally and have a ride in it. I think the Spyder interior is also probably noisier than GTS.

This is another one of those GTS vs Spyder debate. You have to pick one that suits yourself best.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:18 AM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Delete.

Last edited by Manoverpdk; 11-19-2022 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:19 AM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Take the Spyder (bird in hand). Keep GTS order too and make decision later. You won't lose on the Spyder, likely make a few $

EDIT: Spyder is 100% fantastic looking car, likely best on offer.... with top down. Neither look that great with top up IMO, although Spyder top-up > BGTS top-up.
This +++^^^. If you don’t jump on the Spyder, some one else will, leaving you no choice and possibly no configurable vehicle.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:00 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a Spyder and an going to be a bit contrarian. I’d say get the GTS..it seems to me that you’ve thought this through fairly thoroughly and you want a car that is easier to live with and no-hassle. I haven’t driven a GTS but can say the Spyder sometimes can be a bit too hardcore for the average Joe. The biggest difference is probably going to be the manual top, not the ride stiffness, height, or front splitter. While many of us Spyder owners are probably able to get the top up and down in under a minute (I can do it all with one hand now, except for the lifting part), and you may SAY that you are ok with the manual top, are you really ok with opening and closing it and investing the effort everyday you go to work or wherever you daily it on a sunny day? As I said, I haven’t driven a Boxster GTS but I did own a 911 GTS and even that car was a lot quieter in the cabin than the Spyder (with top up) so that’s another consideration. Value wise I agree it would be a wash if you are going to buy and hold and use for a long time. Even if you sell after a few years, I find the delta in a few 10K here and there isn’t worth compromising on what you really want. Life is too short. This is of course contingent on the fact that you can secure a GTS alloc.

Last edited by Sharm; 11-19-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:51 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,828 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
You can set either car up to be a reasonable daily driver. I keep my Spyder in “sport” mode and find the ride reasonably comfortable on less than ideal roads. I haven’t driven a recent GTS but I have driven the previous 981 gen Boxsters and numerous 991 series 911s and the differences in ride comfort are relatively minor afaic. None of these cars ride like Maybach mind you.

Fwiw, I’ve found my 718 Spyders to be significantly more comfortable than my previous 981 Spyder. And as I mentioned in a another thread, my current 2022 Spyder with PCCBs feels even more compliant over bumps than my 2020 Spyder with irons. I now keep the car in sport mode pretty much all the time.
Sorry, what's "sport mode"?
Old 11-19-2022, 11:52 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Harris, Catchpole, and Sutcliffe hardly "paid promotional advertising"

Any how, as said both fantastic options. I found the GT4's suspension fine and far more compliant than various ///M cars I have owned. It was the 'rawness' of the GT4 that put me off it as a daily, which is likely because I was personally not looking for another raw car. Simply put, GT cars = track focused car for street and track; GTS = street/touring car with light track focus. Often I have a niggle of regret not getting a GT4 instead, but GTS pro's for my lifestyle quickly negate that niggle.

OP be happy with either, but ultimately OP needs to decide what side of the fence he sits on. GTS is a better road/touring car.

I'll just leave this here...

https://youtu.be/2UdFED2cgZs?t=160

https://youtu.be/e_0OmNUcdCM?t=72

I agree with what CH says about the 6 speed but isn’t that the same gearbox that’s in the Spyder as well, lol.

Again I don’t see a huge delta between the GTS and Spyder except in aesthetics where I think the streamers just make the Spyder more exotic looking and sets it apart from the 718 line as a whole. If both cars could be driven blindfolded, I imgine there would be little to distinguish one from the other on the street.

The only reason I could ever see taking a GTS over the Spyder is the electric top. An electric top is far more convenient and afaic appropriate for a car that coats 100k or more. But I’ll put with up the Spyder’s manual top because it’s imho the most beautiful production Porsche currently manufactured
Old 11-19-2022, 12:01 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Sorry, what's "sport mode"?
He’s likely referring to PASM Sport.

The 718 GT cars don’t have drive modes.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:07 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
He’s likely referring to PASM Sport.

The 718 GT cars don’t have drive modes.
Yea that’s why I put “sport” in parenthesis. I guess you could call it PASM on mode but I think a message does come up that says PASM is in the sport setting.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:14 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
Yea that’s why I put “sport” in parenthesis. I guess you could call it PASM on mode but I think a message does come up that says PASM is in the sport setting.
Since this is a combined 718 GT and GTS forum drive modes are often cross-threaded in discussion.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:37 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 761 Likes on 350 Posts

Many people here say they prefer the look of the Spyder - and in a vacuum or in my garage I do too. But for a daily driver - I don't.
Why? I use the car for everything, not just commuting to work. Gym, shopping, friends, roadtrips - everything.
And many times I would park in all kinds of public parking - and in those scenarios I much prefer a sleeper car than something that draw so much attention like the Spyder.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:00 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
As much as I love the look of the Spyder, I love my BGTS as well. It's actually my 3rd Boxster GTS, I've owned all generations- 981, 718 2.5T and now the 718 4.0- and it will be serving as my primary vehicle. Throw in a mandatory ADM for a Spyder even at my dealer with an established relationship, and it was a no brainer to go GTS all the way.

Track duty, daily duty, long trips- the BGTS does it all. And I just drove it all throughout DC the other day, my personal true test of a car's ride quality with some of the worst roads I've ever driven on, and it was a breeze. I wouldn't recommend a full coffee, but it was very much tolerable. Better than an F82 M4 I had with adaptive suspension, and FAR better than a 2015 STI I had.

Mine has the standard SPASM suspension that comes with the GTS. I wouldn't even recommend the higher ride height, as others say it does sort of start to chip away about what makes a GTS a GTS.
+1 on this
I have a BGTS with standard SPASM, which I don’t find too low at all, and PDK. I also like the look of the Spyder a lot but I do think the BGTS makes a better daily driver with the electric top and available creature comforts. If you want the GTS get the GTS. I’m sure the dealer would be able to trade their Spyder allocation for a BGTS allocation.
UncleDude (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 04:19 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by P-car-Vancouver
+1 on this
I have a BGTS with standard SPASM, which I don’t find too low at all, and PDK. I also like the look of the Spyder a lot but I do think the BGTS makes a better daily driver with the electric top and available creature comforts. If you want the GTS get the GTS. I’m sure the dealer would be able to trade their Spyder allocation for a BGTS allocation.
Great idea -- I asked the dealer to see if they could swap the allocation for something else with another dealer.

If they can't, I'm gonna take the Spyder. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if I should take the Spyder anyway...I'm mostly just concerned about scraping up the darn thing with lots of really poor roads I frequent.
P-car-Vancouver (11-20-2022)

Quick Reply: Advice with really weird dilemma