Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4RS Break-In Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 05:59 AM
GT4RSFAB
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

If when my slot ever arrives I choose factory collection, there is a 1000-mile drive home (with some Alps in between!) - Is this a recommended break in routine?
The following users liked this post:
sbsurfer (09-30-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 12:13 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4RSFAB
If when my slot ever arrives I choose factory collection, there is a 1000-mile drive home (with some Alps in between!) - Is this a recommended break in routine?
No — You’ll want to drive the car more frequently with each driving time consisting of reaching full operating temperature; ideally, you’d let the car sit overnight until the next day before driving again.

My recommendation would be to drive it at least 45 minutes at a time but no more than maybe 50-100 miles per day.

The internal parts will want several heat cycles from dead cold to operating temperature.
GT4RSFAB (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 12:25 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,535 Likes on 2,264 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4RSFAB
Sounds great to me! Long trip is mentioned in the manual, up hills and down is good too (apparently). Definitely check the owner’s manual, here’s the GT car’s:

The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
doug_999 (12-31-2023), GT4RSFAB (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 12:52 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Sounds great to me! Long trip is mentioned in the manual, up hills and down is good too (apparently). Definitely check the owner’s manual, here’s the GT car’s:

GT4RS (this thread) has a different brake-in procedure than that. This one is good for the other 718 4.0 engine models.
Old 12-31-2023, 12:54 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Long trips yes; but not to conquer the entirety of the break-in period one or three sittings. The idea is to have several heat cycles.

Also as stated in this thread, the correct break-in mileage and RPM info is:

Under 7,000 RPMs for first 930 miles.
Old 12-31-2023, 04:00 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
No — You’ll want to drive the car more frequently with each driving time consisting of reaching full operating temperature; ideally, you’d let the car sit overnight until the next day before driving again.

My recommendation would be to drive it at least 45 minutes at a time but no more than maybe 50-100 miles per day.

The internal parts will want several heat cycles from dead cold to operating temperature.
You are joking right? 50 to 100 miles per day?
GT4RSFAB (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 07:35 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,903 Likes on 942 Posts

Not correct for GT4rs. This is:

Important Information on Errors in the Owner’s Manual for your Cayman GT4RS

This notice applies to your vehicle: WP0AE2A83PSxxxxxx
Dear Mr. X

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA) would like to notify you of two incorrect figures in the “Running in the vehicle” section on page 17 of your Owner’s Manual.
What is the issue?
On page 17 of your Cayman GT4RS Owner’s Manual, in the section “Running in the vehicle”, the following is stated: The moving parts of a new vehicle must be run in. The parts require the first 1,875 miles (3,000 km) for this purpose. The oil and fuel consumption may be somewhat higher than normal during this period.

However, the correct figure for run-in mileage is 930 miles (1,500 km).

Also stated in the same section: Avoid high engine speeds of 4,000 rpm or more. Drive at low engine speeds when the engine is cold.

However, the correct figure for safe engine speed is under 7,000 rpm. As always, if you have questions, please contact your local Porsche Center.

UncleDude (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 08:41 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doug_999
You are joking right? 50 to 100 miles per day?
Am I’m joking? Is this a big joke?

I said maybe no more than 50-100 miles per day. I said “maybe no more than 50-100 miles per day.” I typed it twice just now for your reading facility.

I said a minimum of 45 mins BUT no more than MAYBE 50-100 miles per day. I did NOT say “drive it 50-100 miles per day.”

The point is not to drive it the 930 miles in one or two drives but in several drives of at least around 45 minutes.

You can read, yea? Are you joking?

Last edited by 348SStb; 12-31-2023 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-31-2023, 11:12 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Am I’m joking? Is this a big joke?
I said maybe no more than 50-100 miles per day. I said “maybe no more than 50-100 miles per day.” I typed it twice just now for your reading facility.
I said a minimum of 45 mins BUT no more than MAYBE 50-100 miles per day. I did NOT say “drive it 50-100 miles per day.”
The point is not to drive it the 930 miles in one or two drives but in several drives of at least around 45 minutes.
You can read, yea? Are you joking?
Yea, you weren't joking, that's what I was afraid of.

Let's have some fun with your numbers..

If the OP were to listen to you, it would take them between 10 and 19 days of driving each and every day to get to the break-in ("honey, I"m going to pick up my new car, see you in 19 days...".)

I've studied break-in for many years, I've never heard anyone say you should limit your drives during the break-in period to no more than 100 miles per day. You said that right? Or does the fact that you wrote "maybe" change everything?

While heat cycling an engine during break-in is not a terrible idea, the fact is, if the OP drives the 1,000 miles on the way home, which probably will take a few days with rest at nights, lunches, and maybe dinners, and varies his engine speed and load (which will happen in the alps), his engine will be just fine - and yes, even the people (lawyers I think) that write the manual will be ok with his break-in technique.

If you can show some factual basis for your "max" 50-100 miles per day recommendation, that would be great.

Last edited by doug_999; 12-31-2023 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-31-2023, 11:27 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Yea, you weren't joking, that's what I was afraid of.

Let's have some fun with your numbers..

If the OP were to listen to you, it would take them between 10 and 19 days of driving each and every day to get to the break-in ("honey, I"m going to pick up my new car, see you in 19 days...".)

I've studied break-in for many years, I've never heard anyone say you should limit your drives during the break-in period to no more than 100 miles per day. You said that right? Or does the fact that you wrote "maybe" change everything?

While heat cycling an engine during break-in is not a terrible idea, the fact is, if the OP drives the 1,000 miles on the way home, which probably will take a few days with rest at nights, lunches, and maybe dinners, and varies his engine speed and load (which will happen in the alps), his engine will be just fine - and yes, even the people (lawyers I think) that write the manual will be ok with his break-in technique.

If you can show some factual basis for your "max" 50-100 miles per day recommendation, that would be great.
Hey smartass — I wasn’t talking to the original poster. Someone in post #121 asked how he should break in his car just a few posts ago. It’s confirmed that you don’t know how to read or to follow along in a conversation.

I didn’t state anything as a solid fact — I recommended around 10-15 heat cycles if you do the math. It’s pretty much accepted that we want more than 1-3 heat cycles. However many cycles beyond that is up to the user. Again, not a solid statement but a recommendation. By the way — most people aren’t breaking in their cars during the course of 1-3 drives, since your imagination is so limited. For most people, it does take a few weeks or even months to break in a car. And thanks for stating the obvious: we all know the engine would likely be JUST FINE no matter what course of action is chosen. I provided my interpretation of the best way to break in the engine to someone who asked about using a long road trip for that purpose. In case you haven’t been reading along with the rest of us, there are just about an infinite number of opinions on this matter. I gave mine.

We are all thrilled that you have been studying break-in for many years. Please let us know when you’ve completed those studies and perhaps share your thesis. In the meantime, perhaps a course or two in English and manners would suit — yes: MAYBE means maybe. I didn’t put a hard limit or restriction on mileage. I didn’t flatly provide a hard set of break-in rules. Someone innocently asked a question and I politely shared what works for me. My point was to ensure more than 3 overnight cold-warm-cold heat cycles for break-in with around 10 minimum as ideal.

I’m afraid — terrified, actually — that you’re joking. It’s scary. Quit hijacking the thread.

Last edited by 348SStb; 12-31-2023 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2023, 11:53 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Hey smartass — I wasn’t talking to the original poster. Someone in post #121 asked how he should break in his car just a few posts ago. It’s confirmed that you don’t know how to read or to follow along in a conversation.

I didn’t state anything as a solid fact — I recommended around 10-15 heat cycles if you do the math. It’s pretty much accepted that we want more than 1-3 heat cycles. However many cycles beyond that is up to the user. Again, not a solid statement but a recommendation. By the way — most people aren’t breaking in their cars during the course of 1-3 drives, since your imagination is so limited. For most people, it does take a few weeks or even months to break in a car. And thanks for stating the obvious: we all know the engine would likely be JUST FINE no matter what course of action is chosen. I provided my interpretation of the best way to break in the engine to someone who asked about using a long road trip for that purpose. In case you haven’t been reading along with the rest of us, there are just about an infinite number of opinions on this matter. I gave mine.

We are all thrilled that you have been studying break-in for many years. Please let us know when you’ve completed those studies and perhaps share your thesis. In the meantime, perhaps a course or two in English and manners would suit — yes: MAYBE means maybe. I didn’t put a hard limit or restriction on mileage. I didn’t flatly provide a hard set of break-in rules. Someone innocently asked a question and I politely shared what works for me. My point was to ensure more than 3 overnight cold-warm-cold heat cycles for break-in with around 10 minimum as ideal.

I’m afraid — terrified, actually — that you’re joking. It’s scary. Quit hijacking the thread.
Wow - you are angry on a Sunday morning!

I'm going to ignore the lovely names you call me, that you think I'm somehow hijacking a thread on GT4RS break-in discussion, that I some how lack an understanding in English or manners, and go back to the point that only driving a car a max of 50-100 miles each day during break-in is not mentioned in anything I've ever read and if you could just please provide where you got that from, we could all learn your ways.

(and yea, that's a run-on sentence )

Last edited by doug_999; 12-31-2023 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2023, 12:53 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Wow - you are angry on a Sunday morning!

I'm going to ignore the lovely names you call me, that you think I'm somehow hijacking a thread on GT4RS break-in discussion, that I some how lack an understanding in English or manners, and go back to the point that only driving a car a max of 50-100 miles each day during break-in is not mentioned in anything I've ever read and if you could just please provide where you got that from, we could all learn your ways.

(and yea, that's a run-on sentence )
I’m angry only at you because of your snarky remarks (“Are you joking?”) and then your efforts to put words in my mouth to suggest I’ve said something I didn’t say.

All right — I’ll walk you through here, step by step.

1. MY premise for discussion — yes, my premise, my prerogative, if you will — is to have around 10 heat cycles minimum. **AROUND.** And I said minimum. More are okay too. But preferably not short drives in which the powertrain hasn’t had a chance to fully warm up.

Translation: maybe 7, maybe 8, maybe 9, maybe 11, maybe 12. My belief is the car should be driven, left to sit overnight, and then driven again — AROUND 10 times minimum for those 930 miles. You can reject my premise if you want, but the math ahead accords with my premise; so don’t reject the math.

Why have I chosen this premise? Because I feel like I’m qualified to do so. We could compare résumés and experience, but most people here don’t scrutinize the posts of others that way. You want literature, research, or hearsay from an external so-called expert? Nope — not worth my time. It’s my opinion, and I’m more than qualified to give it. If you don’t think I’m qualified, or need proof, then feel free to ignore what I’ve said. But don’t impeach it in a snarky way — if you know better, then simply share why. You might do so politely.

2. All right. Math time. Okay. So we have 930 miles. Let’s divide that into 10 heat cycles. Here we go. That’s 93 miles. A figure of 93 miles falls between 50-100 miles.
3. Example time. Let’s say the person breaking the car in drives 100 miles each day for 10 days straight. That would be 9 heat cycles when reaching 930 miles on the 10th day. A figure of 9 heat cycles accords with my premise of AROUND 10 heat cycles.
4. Continuing with some math. Here we go. Let’s say the owner drives 175 miles per day every day until the car is broken in. We have 930 miles divided by 175. The result is 5 and change. So on the sixth day, the car would be broken in. That’s 5 heat cycles. A figure of 5, to me, is not AROUND 10 heat cycles. I would want more heat cycles than that for the engine.

Why don’t you do me a favor and answer each these questions with one word:
i) Do you believe that a full heat cycle on an drivetrain takes about 45 minutes? We are talking engine and transmission to full operating temperature. Obviously transmission oil takes longer than engine oil.
ii) Do you believe in the usefulness discussing a heat cycle on a new engine?
iii) If yes, how many heat cycles would you like to see for completion of break-in?
iv) Do you realize the variation in break-in mileage would change the daily mileage guidelines accordingly? (For example, on a 2,000-mile break-in, AROUND 10 heat cycles would have a greater daily mileage suggestion than a 930-mile break-in.)
v) If applicable: if you reject the idea of heat cycle for powertrain break-in altogether and wouldn’t suggest a number for heat cycles, do you think there’s a point in continuing to go back and forth?

I’d like to wish you a Happy New Year, but first I’d like to see if you’d comply with my requests after I just complied with yours.

Last edited by 348SStb; 12-31-2023 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2023, 01:29 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Let's back up...
1. I never suggested you said something you didn't say. I tried to confirm you were suggesting that the person who wants to drive 1,000 miles home from picking up his car, only drive 50-100 miles per day. You did quote him and respond to it. I see it above and I'll add it again for easy reading. Sorry, but I really thought you were joking - thus my question.
2. I did ask where you learned that there is a certain number of heat cycles required to properly break-in an engine. I'll also point out that I've never seen this in a Porsche manual - but maybe they used to do it? Heck, I've never seen it anywhere - but then again, I have not finished googling everything in the world yet
3. I'll finish up by saying, I like your reasoning on the heat cycles and maybe you could have told the OP that? We could then discuss heat cycles

Old 12-31-2023, 01:49 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,903 Likes on 942 Posts

Well that was a waste of everyone's time
The following 6 users liked this post by Ksdaoski:
85Gold (12-31-2023), doug_999 (12-31-2023), ExMB (12-31-2023), Pyrat2 (01-01-2024), Sean in Texas (12-31-2023), TXshaggy (12-31-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-31-2023, 02:21 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Well that was a waste of everyone's time
I did learn another internet wisdom on break in.

Peter

Quick Reply: GT4RS Break-In Discussion