Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4RS Break-In Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 03:34 PM
prof.nano
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Will be interesting to see if that message is coded to disappear after 1500km or 3000km...
This message disappeared at exactly 1500 km (932 mi) on my North America spec GT4 RS, which I did Euro Delivery with in Oct
The following 3 users liked this post by prof.nano:
GrantG (05-11-2023), Odin (06-04-2023), Rassad (06-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 04:05 PM
Spyder75
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by xliang
Anyone noticed an 'increase' in power after break in? 1500km.

I have a source at dealer that says that there is built in power limiter for break in period. - this is because i felt the car was not on par with gt3 power...eg. same 500hp engine.

thanks,.
Power and torque are higher in the Rev range so until you push on it doesn’t feel as quick as a 991 gt3. Once above 6 onwards it goes bat**** and is every bit as quick.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:40 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 468 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by xliang
Anyone noticed an 'increase' in power after break in? 1500km.

I have a source at dealer that says that there is built in power limiter for break in period. - this is because i felt the car was not on par with gt3 power...eg. same 500hp engine.

thanks,.
I felt my 4RS was limiting the engine power and/or rev limit at 800 miles when it first went on track. Its now on 1060 miles with another track day next Thursday so I expect it to give me full beans.
Old 05-11-2023, 08:04 PM
Spyder75
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
I felt my 4RS was limiting the engine power and/or rev limit at 800 miles when it first went on track. Its now on 1060 miles with another track day next Thursday so I expect it to give me full beans.
yeah it is Taffy.. it’s called 7k rpm vs 9k!! It’s run in now so you can wind it out. Power delivery is different to the 3RS.
The following users liked this post:
TDT (05-12-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 06:11 AM
Moaslam
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1500 km break in not higher than 7000rpm

Looks pretty clear to me

Last edited by Moaslam; 06-04-2023 at 06:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Moaslam:
Odin (06-04-2023), sbsurfer (06-04-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 05:59 AM
johnrichard
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I Believe only fail safe for run in/break in period of 1500km is the 7000rpm limiter that is in place until the engine is at operational temperature. (70c oil temp?)

Anyone stupid enough to attempt redline before at temperature? I am only at 385kms and have the ' observe run in procedure' in blue that comes up on the dash.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:55 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

I’m at 300 miles, keep getting the warning at startup.
I dont think I’ve hit 7000RPM yet even warmed up.
Old 06-10-2023, 06:15 PM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 591 Likes on 362 Posts

If rings aren't seated by 200miles there's a problem. Waited til 250miles and occasionally rip on it and let the rpms wrap out. 1k miles break in on an NA motor is just dumb, but no break in on a 992 TTS? Doesn't make sense. With that said, as with any motor letting it correctly heat up and could down are really 2 of the biggest engine health factors.
Old 06-10-2023, 07:07 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts

As I understand it, it's not just the rings.
Old 06-10-2023, 07:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

one data point: my 4RS at the 'RIng this week started with less than 100km on it ... Manthey seem to have no issue running the cars at 100% from the get go
sbsurfer (06-13-2023)
Old 06-10-2023, 09:12 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts

I have read and heard of such cases. Good data point!
Larry Cable (06-10-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 09:59 AM
johnrichard
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

A reply from a Porsche Engineer explaining why they have a run in/break in period with restrictions.

"You do not understand. When we do our engine test, the metals inside the engine do not reach the temperature they would when driven on the street since the bench test session is very short. In other words, the bearings, pistons and cylinders never get a chance to thermally expand to their maximum. Therefore, there is very little wear on the moving components. But when you drive a car on the street, the engine parts expand considerably more because of the heat being generated from the engine running for an extended period of time. No matter how tight the tolerances are, there is always a slight amount of expansion in the material. The moving parts can wear quickly if exposed to excessive heat (maximum rpm) and not always in a uniform way. We are constantly varying the speed and allow the engine to run at both high and low rpm's"
"Porsche wants the engine to break-in slowly which means it needs to maintain lower operating temperature (below 4000rpm non RS and 7000rpm RS) and to allow all parts to adjust (wear-in) within their own thermal expansion parameters. This is also the reason Porsche wants the owner to vary the RPM throughout the break-in period: therefore the engine doesn't get use to one operating temperature range"
"....with Mobil 1 Oil and Porsche's own teats reveal that after 3000kms (non RS and 1500kms RS) been driven, all the moving parts have had a chance to wear into their adjacent surfaces and then an increase in engine RPM is permissible"
The engineer also commented that there were many other moving parts other than the engine that needed break-in as well. Wheel hubs and bearings, Rose joints, Tyres, brakes and transmission were just some of the other components.

It is also worth mentioning the reason for the Mobil 1 ESP X3 0w-40 oil. The petrol particulate filters that these engines all now have require very high operating temps, hence the 242C oil flash temp, to burn off the 'undesirables' from the filters. These engines run a lot hotter than previous versions. The break-in below 7000rpm is to reduce this very high temperature exposure.

Food for thought.
The following 4 users liked this post by johnrichard:
GT Omologata (08-13-2023), GTRSP (06-29-2023), rost12 (06-11-2023), stressless (06-12-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 01:27 PM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 591 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by johnrichard
A reply from a Porsche Engineer explaining why they have a run in/break in period with restrictions.

"You do not understand. When we do our engine test, the metals inside the engine do not reach the temperature they would when driven on the street since the bench test session is very short. In other words, the bearings, pistons and cylinders never get a chance to thermally expand to their maximum. Therefore, there is very little wear on the moving components. But when you drive a car on the street, the engine parts expand considerably more because of the heat being generated from the engine running for an extended period of time. No matter how tight the tolerances are, there is always a slight amount of expansion in the material. The moving parts can wear quickly if exposed to excessive heat (maximum rpm) and not always in a uniform way. We are constantly varying the speed and allow the engine to run at both high and low rpm's"
"Porsche wants the engine to break-in slowly which means it needs to maintain lower operating temperature (below 4000rpm non RS and 7000rpm RS) and to allow all parts to adjust (wear-in) within their own thermal expansion parameters. This is also the reason Porsche wants the owner to vary the RPM throughout the break-in period: therefore the engine doesn't get use to one operating temperature range"
"....with Mobil 1 Oil and Porsche's own teats reveal that after 3000kms (non RS and 1500kms RS) been driven, all the moving parts have had a chance to wear into their adjacent surfaces and then an increase in engine RPM is permissible"
The engineer also commented that there were many other moving parts other than the engine that needed break-in as well. Wheel hubs and bearings, Rose joints, Tyres, brakes and transmission were just some of the other components.

It is also worth mentioning the reason for the Mobil 1 ESP X3 0w-40 oil. The petrol particulate filters that these engines all now have require very high operating temps, hence the 242C oil flash temp, to burn off the 'undesirables' from the filters. These engines run a lot hotter than previous versions. The break-in below 7000rpm is to reduce this very high temperature exposure.

Food for thought.
Thats all cool and I respect it. I can attest to other parts on Porsche's needing to be broken in. Case and point I was told to test drive a Cayanne Turbo which had the PCCBs. Well during my test drive I noticed high levels of brake fade and rotor smell. Got back to the service bay and made the whole area permeate of burning rotor smell. They all thought something was wrong including myself til the main service manager came and said "oh yeah this is normal and they actually have a 500 mile break-in period for the rotors to seat"..... I told the dude that would've been great to know prior to potentially killing ourselves.

On the motor stand point with regards to heat cycles.... that's an engine operating hours metrics and not miles so not really understanding of how they come to their 1500KM metrics.

Old 06-12-2023, 11:34 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,767 Likes on 2,764 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
Thats all cool and I respect it. I can attest to other parts on Porsche's needing to be broken in. Case and point I was told to test drive a Cayanne Turbo which had the PCCBs. Well during my test drive I noticed high levels of brake fade and rotor smell. Got back to the service bay and made the whole area permeate of burning rotor smell. They all thought something was wrong including myself til the main service manager came and said "oh yeah this is normal and they actually have a 500 mile break-in period for the rotors to seat"..... I told the dude that would've been great to know prior to potentially killing ourselves.
Interesting to know, and I do recall a different smell coming from the PCCB's during break-in... I always I always take it easy in a new vehicle, many parts need to wear in including the tires and brakes.

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
On the motor stand point with regards to heat cycles.... that's an engine operating hours metrics and not miles so not really understanding of how they come to their 1500KM metrics.
Yes, operating hours and miles are different, but does it really matter, Porsche has specified both RPM and distance as part of the break-in process, the recently provided explanation is as complete as it gets, and still people challenge it.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:00 AM
sbsurfer
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 44 Posts

Another data point...

I spent the last two days at the Porsche Experience Center in LA and did the 90 min GT4RS experience and today did the 4 hour GT4RS Accelerated experience. The car had 400 miles on it and I beat the crap out of it for hours and hours.

SLATETT (06-29-2023)

Quick Reply: GT4RS Break-In Discussion