Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2024, 10:03 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,740 Likes on 877 Posts

🤡Z🤡0🤡6🤡
Old 07-08-2024, 10:05 AM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
Nice write-up . . . glad you are enjoying your new ride.

Perhaps you can clarify what you mean in stating . . . “You have full control of the gears unlike my BMW street cars. In manual, the transmission will not shift unless you shift it, you'll just bounce off the limiter.” No ///M car I have owned with DCT or ZF8 shifted on its own in manual mode except, as you state, bouncing off redline.

Avera
My experience in BMW auto cars is they give you brief control and then take it back if you don't manually shift quick enough. On the PDK, I can sit in one gear endlessly like it is a full manual.

Old 07-08-2024, 10:08 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,260 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric5280
My experience in BMW auto cars is they give you brief control and then take it back if you don't manually shift quick enough. On the PDK, I can sit in one gear endlessly like it is a full manual.
That's not how the DCT in the E9x M3 works. It works just like PDK in manual mode and will hold the gear like manual, engine braking if you lift off the throttle and bouncing off the rev limiter if you don't shift at redline.
Old 07-08-2024, 10:13 AM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
The most unbiased impressions/opinions should come from people who have both cars at the same time.

I drove the 4RS and 992 GT3 back to back today, in that order. I liked the 4RS, and I liked the GT3 a lot more. This is a personal preference, and it's just as valid for someone else to have the opposite preference. The GT3 is a more technically sophisticated car, but the 4RS can pretty much keep up with it on track, which says a lot about the benefits of a mid-engine layout. I wish the 4RS was just as sophisticated as the GT3, but then it would be faster than the GT3 and cost more, and that might upset the pecking order in Porsche, since the GT3 is sort of an iconic crown jewel for Porsche.

I think I figured out why the GT3 feels faster than the 4RS, but they both have similar acceleration times. The GT3 pulls harder at low to mid revs, but the 4RS feels like it pulls a little harder at higher revs. To be honest though, both of them feel a bit slow compared to a 570, 991.2 TTS, 992 TTS, etc.

Regarding PDK, the DCT in my E93 M3 holds the gear in manual mode just like PDK, it feels like it shifts just as fast as PDK, and DCT has the advantage of having five different levels of aggression to choose from.
I think the 4RS feels quicker because of gearing. Once broken in, interested in your assessment. 7-9k rpm is where all the magic happens on 4RS.

Noted on DCT, though I am not sure I'd want to choose from 5 levels.

The 4RS will never be my race car on 315 square Hoosier and 2600 lbs. At 290 whp it beats the 4RS in lap time and handles infinitely better, on MCS 3 ways, which would be awful on the street.

These are street cars, they are heavy pigs and compromised for street and crappy tires. Sometimes have to just enjoy what they are vs splitting every single detail.
The following 3 users liked this post by Eric5280:
lovetoturn (07-09-2024), Manifold (07-08-2024), Snowy999 (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 11:42 AM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

That's not how the DCT in the E9x M3 works. It works just like PDK in manual mode and will hold the gear like manual, engine braking if you lift off the throttle and bouncing off the rev limiter if you don't shift at redline.
Ok, my mistake. I was referencing the BMW "m sport" auto boxes, not the E9X M3 of which mine was manual. I drove a DCT E92 M3 on track and rented one in Germany but forgot about that.

The point is that the car does a good job of bridging the gap for someone that loves manual transmission and the short gears, hard shifts, engine noise, plus shift lever add to that. I have never liked any PDK/DCT before this and I think it is the sum of its parts that makes it work.

Last edited by Eric5280; 07-08-2024 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-08-2024, 11:49 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Ok, my mistake. I was referencing the BMW "m sport" (or whatever iteration it is on now) auto boxes, not the E9X M3 of which mine was manual. I drove a DCT E92 M3 on track and rented one in Germany but forgot about that.

The point is that the car does a good job of bridging the gap for someone that loves manual transmission and the short gears, hard shifts, engine noise, plus shift lever add to that. I have never liked any PDK/DCT before this and I think it is the sum of its parts that makes it work.
In the fast Porsche GT cars, I prefer PDK. When I got the 991.1 GT3, I was sold on PDK, no desire to ever use regular manual again on track. I always use PDK in manual mode on track and for fun driving on the road. I only put in auto mode in heavy traffic or when going to and from the track.

In the 992 TTS, I usually leave it in auto because there's so much torque that the car isn't too sensitive gear selection, the shifting in auto mode is perfect, the manual shifting is noticeably slower than the GT cars, and I hit the rev limiter too often in manual mode because I'm not used to the lower redline.

Last edited by Manifold; 07-08-2024 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-08-2024, 11:59 AM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

In the fast Porsche GT cars, I prefer PDK. When I got the 991.1 GT3, I was sold on PDK, no desire to ever use regular manual again on track. I always use PDK in manual mode on track and for fun driving on the road. I only put in auto mode in heavy traffic or when going to and from the track.

In the 992 TTS, I usually leave it in auto because there's so much torque that the car isn't too sensitive gear selection, the shifting in auto mode is perfect, the manual shifting is noticeably slower than the GT cars, and I hit the rev limiter too often in manual mode because I'm not used to the lower redline.
Makes sense. I did drive a 991.1 GT3 on track but the PDK concept was pretty new at that time (to me at least) and I probably needed more time in the seat.

How is the 992 TTS repair coming?
Old 07-08-2024, 12:06 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Makes sense. I did drive a 991.1 GT3 on track but the PDK concept was pretty new at that time (to me at least) and I probably needed more time in the seat.

How is the 992 TTS repair coming?
Slow. I think it could be months before I get the car back. The body shop and dealer don't seem to be in any hurry. Because the airbags deployed, the whole dash had to be removed. The absence of that car has shown me that I definitely don't 'need' it, but I sure do miss it. It's one of those cars that wows me (in a good way) every time I drive it.
Old 07-08-2024, 12:36 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Slow. I think it could be months before I get the car back. The body shop and dealer don't seem to be in any hurry. Because the airbags deployed, the whole dash had to be removed. The absence of that car has shown me that I definitely don't 'need' it, but I sure do miss it. It's one of those cars that wows me (in a good way) every time I drive it.
Good to confirm you miss it and hopefully the work is done to a high level despite taking a long time.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (07-08-2024)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions