Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Switching to 992 TT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 07:47 PM
993TurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by golovorub
Hello there!

A lot of people here compare GTS 4.0 to C2S, the general consensus being that lighter package, smaller size and this engine make Cayman/Boxster a better sports car than 911.
My problem here is that I want to track my car at least occasionally, and I just can’t fit with a helmet. In my BGTS, I’m at least 1’’ over the rollover bars, which doesn’t seem acceptable.

Without a helmet, I have at least 1.5’’ headroom in C2S, but I really dislike the manual transmission in that car and getting it with a PDK doesn’t make it special enough for me.
Which brings me to a 992 TT - it has the amazing power and is more versatile. But I’m afraid I’ll get bored of instant torque and will start missing the “top down” experience.
I can’t have 2 sport Porches, so need to choose one - thoughts?
Why not get a 997.1 911 Turbo. Manual and enough headroom and plenty of power. I had a 997.2 Turbo S and loved it. But it you are coming from a BGTS, the 997.1 Turbo will be plenty powerful enough, and satisfy your manual and track needs.

I also have a 991.2 Turbo S and, honestly, it is no more fun than the 997. I also considered the 992 TTS, but it is so close to the 991.2, and even the 997, that unless you are extracting every ounce of performance, the differences are meaningless.

I also agree that you should consider a 718 Cayman GT4 or GT4RS if you are at the 992 TTS price point.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:57 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Personally, I'd select any naturally aspirated 911 over any turbo 911.
Every one of the dozens of 911 variants is also available as a convertible if that's your thing.

Or maybe try a Cayman? Not sure if they have more head room than a Boxster. 2-way seats can get lower than the 18-ways, another consideration.
Try to keep the mid-engine sports car if you can.
^ agreed. NA > turbo for track. Try to keep the BGTS as I don't see how it wouldn't be the more fun track car.

Simplest solution would be keep the BGTS, swap in an aftermarket seat for when you go to the track, and throw the bottom pad of the seat in a corner if you're by some miracle still too tall with the bucket and seat pad. Removing the pad is an easy solution to adjust height as I've done that in endurance racing while on a team of short people. rip the cushion out and boom, now I barely need to adjust anything and I have tons of head room.

Last edited by Zhao; 09-29-2022 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:07 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Like others have said, the easiest to do is an aftermarket seat for the track. 4 bolts and it's out. Can give you a few more inches of head room and leg room. Personally I wouldn't track a convertible, because of safety. The TT is wickedly fast and capable on track and has much more interior space and is a more comfortable street car. Only thing I would be concerned with is chewing through parts at the track because of it's weight, power, and non track specked parts.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:01 PM
golovorub
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you all for insight! Turns out BGTS's seats have airbags in them (side skirts?). So, any after market solution is inherently less safe Combining that with the fact that racing with soft top is far from ideal safety wise, I think I'm stuck with changing the car...

I owned a Model 3 Performance, so know that fast 0 to 60 can get boring very fast and being first to the red light doesn't happen all that often. As a result, I'll consider getting a GTS, maybe even with a manual?
Old 09-30-2022, 12:19 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

Thank you all for insight! Turns out BGTS's seats have airbags in them (side skirts?). So, any after market solution is inherently less safe Combining that with the fact that racing with soft top is far from ideal safety wise, I think I'm stuck with changing the car...

I owned a Model 3 Performance, so know that fast 0 to 60 can get boring very fast and being first to the red light doesn't happen all that often. As a result, I'll consider getting a GTS, maybe even with a manual?
FWIW the manual in the GTS has a shorter throw...

Definitely worth checking out. Just look at some of the reviews; the car is a hit.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:48 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

A vert isn't ideal for track use though for sure so can't argue with you getting a hardtop (Almost impossible to flip a track car but I've seen a tire barrier flip a car before onto it's roof so it's possible) but airbags are of dubious value on a track. Add a harness and bucket then an airbag's value dissolves and actually potentially can cause some harm (to your hands/arms), and if you add a hans you're now more safe than with airbags. If you don't have a hans, get one. I've been involved in 2 incidents with a hans on (rear ended by a race car at speed while I was stationary, spun into a cement wall) and I felt like nothing happened and no issues ever popped up from either incident.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:23 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Moiz Mian
GT3 is kind of unobtainium these days, also how many people have the skill to extract every ounce of performance from a modern GT3? A TT would be just fine on track. Tbf any 911/718 with performance options would be great for casual track use.
This is correct. Since I’m not a top customer at my dealership, I can’t get a GT3, GT4 RS allocation. I tried to get a regular GT4 allocation but I can’t get that either. Obviously I won’t be able to get a GT3 RS allocation.

So it looks like 911 Turbo S allocation then.
Old 09-30-2022, 11:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,017 Likes on 2,837 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnauto
This is correct. Since I’m not a top customer at my dealership, I can’t get a GT3, GT4 RS allocation. I tried to get a regular GT4 allocation but I can’t get that either. Obviously I won’t be able to get a GT3 RS allocation.

So it looks like 911 Turbo S allocation then.
Why does it have to be new?
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (09-30-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 12:39 AM
golovorub
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zhao
A vert isn't ideal for track use though for sure so can't argue with you getting a hardtop (Almost impossible to flip a track car but I've seen a tire barrier flip a car before onto it's roof so it's possible) but airbags are of dubious value on a track. Add a harness and bucket then an airbag's value dissolves and actually potentially can cause some harm (to your hands/arms), and if you add a hans you're now more safe than with airbags. If you don't have a hans, get one. I've been involved in 2 incidents with a hans on (rear ended by a race car at speed while I was stationary, spun into a cement wall) and I felt like nothing happened and no issues ever popped up from either incident.
Good to know! The problem with adding the harness/bucket to my Boxster is that I'll be less safe while driving on the street, where for sure I won't be wearing a helmet. I also don't see myself disconnecting the battery and flipping seats back and forth. So, it seems if I want to go to the track with my car, I need a new car.
Old 10-01-2022, 03:37 AM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
It doesn’t. Would be interested in a used GT3 or GT4 RS at the right price.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:44 AM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
GrantG knows a lot about comparing TTS vs. the GT cars and other variants. So my advice will not be as expert or technical as his. That said, here is my .02 cents since I currently own a 992 TTS and 992 GT3.

Of course, the 992 GT3 is superior on the track. The new front suspension changes are just a massive leap forward from the prior 991.2 GT3 (Had one -- traded it in on the 992 TTS...LOL).

I've only lightly tracked the TTS in stock format. It's 500 pounds heavier and you notice it. A lot. HOWEVER, the power/dig of the TTS out of corners is otherworldly once you modify your driving style a bit. Similar to a GT2RS in terms of power and a strange ability to dig quicker / with more confidence than the 2RS. Obviously, the 2RS is "the king" of track setup cars right out of the box. The TTS can't touch that and wasn't built / designed to replicate it.

Some TTS forum guys have been having damn good success modifying the cars. Most everyone with GT3 / TTS is going to go with the AP Racing brake setup. The PCCB's -- even on the new GT3 -- are not going to survive long if you track consistently. Some of the guys are getting some really good traction / results -- mainly with camber setups (F and R). Which makes sense.

Net-net - don't underestimate what you can do track-wise in a TTS for an extra $20k or so. Is it a great financial deal? Hell, no. Can you turn the 992 TTS lux-o-cruiser into a bad *** track car with a few mods. Hell yes. With some simple exhaust mods, you are approaching 700HP / 675 Lb/Ft of torque at the wheels. Is is a 3000 pound mid engine car with a 6 speed? No. But when you get "ON IT" out of the Apex, and feel the beautiful Porsche AWD traction control systems dig in as all hell breaks loose power wise -- it can be damn addicting also. In a different way.

Last edited by SB27; 10-01-2022 at 07:51 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by SB27:
arek (10-08-2022), golovorub (10-01-2022), jwr9152 (10-01-2022), manifold danger (10-01-2022), UncleDude (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 08:25 PM
golovorub
Intermediate

Test drove a 2022 Carrera GTS with PDK. That transmission is indeed great and I liked the engine sound. Plus, even with 14 way seats, I have at least 1.5 inches of headroom, possible more with a bit of reclining or 4 way seats.
So, will switch when dealers are not asking 55k over MSRP for a CPO O_o.

While I'm still salty - it's interesting how they are offering me 20k under MSRP for my BGTS 4.0, while selling a new Cayman GTS 4.0 for 150k on the floor...

Last edited by golovorub; 10-01-2022 at 10:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by golovorub:
drgav2005 (10-03-2022), manifold danger (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 06:48 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

Test drove a 2022 Carrera GTS with PDK. That transmission is indeed great and I liked the engine sound. Plus, even with 14 way seats, I have at least 1.5 inches of headroom, possible more with a bit of reclining or 4 way seats.
So, will switch when dealers are not asking 55k over MSRP for a CPO O_o.

While I'm still salty - it's interesting how they are offering me 20k under MSRP for my BGTS 4.0, while selling a new Cayman GTS 4.0 for 150k on the floor...
Nice! Yeah personally the 8-speed PDK was what convinced me I don't need a manual anymore. It's even better on a track. The GTS is a dream machine, but for me the wife and I just have more fun in a convertible and I can't get past the looks of the 911 cab (and the Targa is too expensive and almost defeats the purpose of the GTS with all the extra weight).

That is really quite sad to hear about what they're offering you on your Boxster, because as you point out you can't find one for sale anywhere near MSRP right now... that's just pure greed and they apparently don't want to make a deal.

Also points out that the prices may be dropping sooner than we thought on these outrageous used cars, if dealers are already padding that much margin by lowballing the crap out of these cars at trade in. The last two cars I traded in I didn't lose money on after driving for a year and 6 months, respectively. I am truly surprised to hear that a dealer would pass on making a quick $10k by offering at MSRP... unless these asking prices are already unrealistic and people just aren't paying them...

A lot to unpack there.

Last edited by manifold danger; 10-02-2022 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:44 AM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 120 Posts

I am in exactly your situation, 6’4”, BGTS, wish I could track but too tall.

I am slightly different in that I’m not willing to sell the BGTS. I love it on backroads, and the Kline exhaust is not the same with the top up.

I have gone around and around on what to do. Finally, I have settled on a plan: an NC Miata a custom roll bar and hard top for track. Keep the BGTS for backroads.

To me, this is appealing because: it’s a lower horsepower car which is good to learn on, running costs are super low (full tires $600-800), purchase price is super low. It also (weirdly) has some of the fun of the porsche configurator, in the sense that you can mod the heck out of it: suspension, brakes, turbo (or bigger engine). When I finally came up with this plan, it was a huge relief to me.

anyway, this is outside the scope of your origin question , but because we suffer the same malady (tall people who like sports cars) I figured I’d mention it.
The following users liked this post:
golovorub (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 10:05 AM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by ttcbj
I am in exactly your situation, 6’4”, BGTS, wish I could track but too tall.

I am slightly different in that I’m not willing to sell the BGTS. I love it on backroads, and the Kline exhaust is not the same with the top up.

I have gone around and around on what to do. Finally, I have settled on a plan: an NC Miata a custom roll bar and hard top for track. Keep the BGTS for backroads.

To me, this is appealing because: it’s a lower horsepower car which is good to learn on, running costs are super low (full tires $600-800), purchase price is super low. It also (weirdly) has some of the fun of the porsche configurator, in the sense that you can mod the heck out of it: suspension, brakes, turbo (or bigger engine). When I finally came up with this plan, it was a huge relief to me.

anyway, this is outside the scope of your origin question , but because we suffer the same malady (tall people who like sports cars) I figured I’d mention it.
I'm also 6'-4" and have a friend with an NC. It's a blast to drive, and so easy to heel toe. Even with a race seat on the floor of the car I'm too tall for his roll bar. Hope you can customize a rollbar that will work, car would be a blast to track.

Quick Reply: Switching to 992 TT?