Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Switching to 992 TT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022 | 01:31 PM
golovorub
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ttcbj
I am in exactly your situation, 6’4”, BGTS, wish I could track but too tall.

I am slightly different in that I’m not willing to sell the BGTS. I love it on backroads, and the Kline exhaust is not the same with the top up.

I have gone around and around on what to do. Finally, I have settled on a plan: an NC Miata a custom roll bar and hard top for track. Keep the BGTS for backroads.

To me, this is appealing because: it’s a lower horsepower car which is good to learn on, running costs are super low (full tires $600-800), purchase price is super low. It also (weirdly) has some of the fun of the porsche configurator, in the sense that you can mod the heck out of it: suspension, brakes, turbo (or bigger engine). When I finally came up with this plan, it was a huge relief to me.

anyway, this is outside the scope of your origin question , but because we suffer the same malady (tall people who like sports cars) I figured I’d mention it.
Thank you! After looking for rental prices locally, there is a track renting a Toyota 86 for $600 a day. Taking as example the 55k over MSRP I was asked, I can track it for 3 months straight
Since my wife doesn't want to give up the convertible anyway, this might be the best option going forward. The only downside - I wouldn't be tracking a Porsche.
Old 10-02-2022 | 01:58 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by golovorub
Thank you! After looking for rental prices locally, there is a track renting a Toyota 86 for $600 a day. Taking as example the 55k over MSRP I was asked, I can track it for 3 months straight
Since my wife doesn't want to give up the convertible anyway, this might be the best option going forward. The only downside - I wouldn't be tracking a Porsche.
Run rates for a 992 GTS vs a BRZ/86 is going to be laughable. You could take the wife to Vegas for a weekend and have a grand to lose gambling on the cost of tires alone.

Porsches are great for the track, but there is a very strong philosophy that the BEST track car is the one you wouldn't be too upset about if you ball up.

As an aside, my personal situation is that I've sort of been turned off to track events. The reason for this is I had a 991.2 and I found I just wasn't having as much fun during track events as I was expecting. MOST of the reason behind this is that I didn't want to screw it up with wear and tear, and there's a pretty tangible line drawn mentally when you're driving on a track in YOUR Porsche, and you can't easily afford the fallout if it were to perhaps go into a wall. I never went close to that line. As a result, I wasn't fast- and therefore wasn't having all that much fun.

For that reason, I'm convinced if I ever do get into going to the track often, it will be in a car that I don't actually care that much about. If that makes sense.
Old 10-02-2022 | 04:02 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Run rates for a 992 GTS vs a BRZ/86 is going to be laughable. You could take the wife to Vegas for a weekend and have a grand to lose gambling on the cost of tires alone.

Porsches are great for the track, but there is a very strong philosophy that the BEST track car is the one you wouldn't be too upset about if you ball up.

As an aside, my personal situation is that I've sort of been turned off to track events. The reason for this is I had a 991.2 and I found I just wasn't having as much fun during track events as I was expecting. MOST of the reason behind this is that I didn't want to screw it up with wear and tear, and there's a pretty tangible line drawn mentally when you're driving on a track in YOUR Porsche, and you can't easily afford the fallout if it were to perhaps go into a wall. I never went close to that line. As a result, I wasn't fast- and therefore wasn't having all that much fun.

For that reason, I'm convinced if I ever do get into going to the track often, it will be in a car that I don't actually care that much about. If that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense to me. Same mentality I have. I dialed it back so there is little risk to the car, but I'm giving up seconds doing so and that takes the fun out of it, while still murdering the outside edges of my tires (no shims) by lacking enough camber + staying out too long. I was still a couple seconds faster than the next fastest GT4 and much faster than the next faster spyder and they're not killing their tires like I am, but no way I can bring myself to drive below 9x%. So i'm going slow + putting lots of wear into the car.... a crappy combo lol.

I knew that going into buying the GT4 though. It was always more for a street car that I actually didn't plan to track it as much as I did this year. To me the best track car will always be one that you can put into a wall and laugh about it 15 seconds later when you find out you're ok. For some people that'll be a GT3, but for me that's a low 5 figure car. NC miata was a great option for that; I could see a FRS being good too. RX8s are amazing for handling too, except the engine is terrible so you need a facelift version.
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022 | 04:35 PM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ttcbj
I am in exactly your situation, 6’4”, BGTS, wish I could track but too tall.

I am slightly different in that I’m not willing to sell the BGTS. I love it on backroads, and the Kline exhaust is not the same with the top up.

I have gone around and around on what to do. Finally, I have settled on a plan: an NC Miata a custom roll bar and hard top for track. Keep the BGTS for backroads.

To me, this is appealing because: it’s a lower horsepower car which is good to learn on, running costs are super low (full tires $600-800), purchase price is super low. It also (weirdly) has some of the fun of the porsche configurator, in the sense that you can mod the heck out of it: suspension, brakes, turbo (or bigger engine). When I finally came up with this plan, it was a huge relief to me.

anyway, this is outside the scope of your origin question , but because we suffer the same malady (tall people who like sports cars) I figured I’d mention it.
Originally Posted by golovorub
be careful on the 86. I think it has less headroom than a Miata (37” vs 37.5”). But, it’s hard to say what will and won’t work without sitting in something. If you fit in an 86, please post back here. I have written that off, but I’d buy one of those if I fit.
Old 10-02-2022 | 07:28 PM
Zhao
Drifting

I've instructed in a ton of 86s. I had no headroom problems with my helmet at 6' 3" in the factory seats as a driver or passenger. I wear 34 long pants if that gives an indication of how long my legs are vs torso. But I am also used to squishing my torso down a bit in cars.
Old 10-02-2022 | 08:07 PM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
I've instructed in a ton of 86s. I had no headroom problems with my helmet at 6' 3" in the factory seats as a driver or passenger. I wear 34 long pants if that gives an indication of how long my legs are vs torso. But I am also used to squishing my torso down a bit in cars.
Wow, great! I had written it off, but I’ll have to find one to sit in. I think the 86 has some of echos of the 944, but new. I’d prefer a hardtop to a Miata if I can make it work. If not, though, I am still optimistic about my NC plan.

Old 10-03-2022 | 03:03 PM
Zhao
Drifting

I really did not like the 86 feel when it came out. Toyota dumped a couple off at the track when they came out so we all had a go, but I actually really enjoyed a new 2018ish (forget the year, student just bought it that week and it was stock) when i tracked that. I thought it felt amazing and perfectly balanced. I just looked it up and apparently they changed the spring rates and rear sway bar, so that would explain why in 2012 it felt poor turn in/understeeery and the later model felt great.

They can cram very wide tires under the front and back also which to me is a huge selling point for a track car. Running 265 slicks on one, with a proper suspension and good brake pads and tossing everythign in it that you don't need makes it fly. I think it would be our modern day base model 944/2nd gen rx7.

The complaint with the new ones is turning the electronics off requires a pedal dance, or an aftermarket controller installed. One friend with one also complains it's too easy to drive on the edge. He liked how his miata and mr-s were able to spin you out if you weren't on your A game.

Quick Reply: Switching to 992 TT?