Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Daily Drive a 718 Spyder??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 05:02 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

have a Spyder and a Boxster, the only issues I have is access to trunk when roof is closed and closing roof when driving slowly in traffic jams when it’s raining. Having a baseball cap behind your seat, helps.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:55 AM
bubbledragon
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I daily mine (MT) 2 days preceeding the weekend when it becomes the weekend toy. If its you 24/7 car, as some mentioned above the access to the trunk would be your main consideration. The hood issue depends entirely on your journey during the week. I only hood down during the weekend as my weekday is 99% crawling in traffic and I would be more concerned of lung cancer than getting wet.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:25 AM
Antipodean
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, it is possible to commute in a 718 Spyder. I do so in a temperate climate. Your main concern won't be rain and the roof. It will be snow / ice and the tyres. If it freezes in your region and you really want a four-season Spyder, get a dedicated set of winter wheels / tyres. Plenty of Canadians on this forum could share their first-hand experiences.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:21 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Congrats on your allocation. That damn Spyder is such a draw because it looks so good. I struggled with this same decision and went with the GTS. I’m still not sure if it was the right one, lol, but ultimately, it really wasn’t the top for me. I actually think lowering and raising the top is cool bonding time with the car. I enjoyed doing that on my Spitfire 4 and MGB. And the trunk… love the quirkiness of it. Both are unique features that make that car so special.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (03-21-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 08:58 AM
dichael
Instructor

Received 144 Likes on 78 Posts

I’m not much of a convertible guy, but if I were I wouldn’t give a flyin’ f about the top cause that car just looks sooo bad ***.
The following 2 users liked this post by dichael:
catdog2 (03-16-2022), Dan Nagy (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 10:05 AM
AndroidRobot
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnyWest67
Have an allocation option now for a Spyder. Since this is my daily driver, I am a bit concerned about giving up my BGTS 4.0 for a Spyder for mainly the roof. Not as concerned about suspension, clearance etc. But the manual roof on a daily basis worries me in that I might grow tired of constantly dealing with it vs.the handy power option. I live in the northern Midwest, so not like owning a Spyder in Florida and it won’t be just a wknd car, it would be my daily everyday to work etc.

For those with 718 Spyders that daily drive them have you found the roof to be an issue at all on a daily basis and any regrets?
I'm in the same boat as you but I will be daily driving my Spyder once I get it. The BGTS is great, but I think the ride quality and everything of the Spyder make it livable.
Old 03-16-2022, 11:04 AM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Have an allocation option now for a Spyder. Since this is my daily driver, I am a bit concerned about giving up my BGTS 4.0 for a Spyder for mainly the roof. Not as concerned about suspension, clearance etc. But the manual roof on a daily basis worries me in that I might grow tired of constantly dealing with it vs.the handy power option. I live in the northern Midwest, so not like owning a Spyder in Florida and it won’t be just a wknd car, it would be my daily everyday to work etc.

For those with 718 Spyders that daily drive them have you found the roof to be an issue at all on a daily basis and any regrets?
I daily drive my 718 Spyder, best decision I ever made. It has a JCR and OAP on it, so making phone calls isn’t as easy, but I don’t mind. My drives are for driving, so calls are automatically responded with driving, will call you back. Otherwise, if you don’t mind not having long and important calls while driving, you’ll be very happy.
Old 03-16-2022, 11:09 AM
SunnyWest67
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Only you can answer the question, that’s the problem here. If someone says it is annoying, and someone says it isn’t, how does that help you?
I guess I have a different view as I don't see a problem here. This is a forum. Users find it very useful to gather information to form their own opinions and make decisions. If 10 people reply to my question and 9 of them are frustrated to no end each day with the manual roof then that data is helpful to me, so really that is all that matters in the end right? I realize I ultimately am the only one that can answer the question, but I like others do find it helpful to gather multiple thoughts on on a subject while deciding. Forums are very helpful for this. Usually.
UncleDude (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 11:11 AM
SunnyWest67
Advanced

Originally Posted by Adrift
You haven’t said why a spyder suits your purposes better than a bgts. That would seem to be the key to your question.
Not sure I had to explain that for the purpose of my question, but ultimately the GT3 bits make it the most appealing roadster in my mind.
JAhmed (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 11:14 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Do you daily drive yours, 5 days a week, to work? I am not concerned about miles or cycles.

My simple question is if you daily drive it, and have to put that roof up or down a couple of times every day, does it become an annoyance in your opinion?
I think you're being pedantic here; pretty clear from my response how much I drive and cycle the top. Where I daily go shouldn't be relative, the process is the same.
Old 03-16-2022, 11:17 AM
SunnyWest67
Advanced

Originally Posted by Litt
I daily drive my Spyder. No concerns and no hassle. I actually enjoy putting the top up and down. It fits the car and is part of the experience of owning it and part of what makes it unique. I also use that time as a small warmup period for the engine.
Originally Posted by CurbKiller
Valid question and not sure why some of the replies are being made.

I had a 718 GTS and went to a Spyder. While I do not daily it, I do use it for more than just a weekend toy. Yes, the top top on the Spyder isn't time consuming but what I find I miss is being able to raise and lower the top while on the move, last min etc. I was out yesterday as the weather was decent but looked like it might rain. So I left the top up. However a bit into my journey the clouds broke and glorious sun. Sadly I was on busy streets and there wasn't anywhere to pull over to lower the roof. Had this been the GTS, well you know very well, it can be done while in the car.

For me the plus of the normal power top is being able to do that quickly and not have to pull over.

I've only had the car a few months but do find I think twice about taking it out if I'm on an errand run with multiple stops as going through the top up/down sequence so many times puts me off. The Spyder has now become a weekend toy. I also found I used the rear cargo on the GTS more than the front but again, with the Spyder top,I've yet to use the rear trunk.

The Spider is a fantastic car but for me personally, as a daily and only car, I would think twice. Will you be driving it in the winter? Having a glass rear screen is much better than the call plastic bit.

Good luck with whatever you decide. A very nice position to be in.

You could always just order one, get another deposit in for a GTS 4.0 and switch up if it didn't work for you. You won't lose much if anything with the Spyder.
Originally Posted by Ramon Vennik
have a Spyder and a Boxster, the only issues I have is access to trunk when roof is closed and closing roof when driving slowly in traffic jams when it’s raining. Having a baseball cap behind your seat, helps.
Originally Posted by bubbledragon
I daily mine (MT) 2 days preceeding the weekend when it becomes the weekend toy. If its you 24/7 car, as some mentioned above the access to the trunk would be your main consideration. The hood issue depends entirely on your journey during the week. I only hood down during the weekend as my weekday is 99% crawling in traffic and I would be more concerned of lung cancer than getting wet.
Originally Posted by Antipodean
Yes, it is possible to commute in a 718 Spyder. I do so in a temperate climate. Your main concern won't be rain and the roof. It will be snow / ice and the tyres. If it freezes in your region and you really want a four-season Spyder, get a dedicated set of winter wheels / tyres. Plenty of Canadians on this forum could share their first-hand experiences.
Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Congrats on your allocation. That damn Spyder is such a draw because it looks so good. I struggled with this same decision and went with the GTS. I’m still not sure if it was the right one, lol, but ultimately, it really wasn’t the top for me. I actually think lowering and raising the top is cool bonding time with the car. I enjoyed doing that on my Spitfire 4 and MGB. And the trunk… love the quirkiness of it. Both are unique features that make that car so special.
Originally Posted by dichael
I’m not much of a convertible guy, but if I were I wouldn’t give a flyin’ f about the top cause that car just looks sooo bad ***.
I appreciate the responses thank you. I won't be using it in the winter. I could see how the bonding part could happen over the manual part of this. I also see how going out for errands and making several stops might force you just to keep the top closed, whereby making you long for the power one. But I agree that the overall pluses of the driving experience make the manual top for daily driving probably disappear.
Old 03-16-2022, 11:27 AM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 93 Posts

Sorry if I missed it, but are you able to keep the BGTS 4.0 for a while to compare the two? Having had a GT4 for 6 years, my main concern would be the harsh ride, low clearance, long front end vs the roof. I tried to daily mine for a bit and it was not a great experience. To me, the Spyder/GT4 is one of the best cars ever made, but the BGTS 4.0 is much better for daily use and still feels special. Having both for a brief period may allow you to determine what's best for you.
The following 3 users liked this post by Eric5280:
42w203 (03-17-2022), Denny Swift (03-16-2022), GT3FZS (03-21-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 11:27 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 684 Posts

If your concern is the top operation, I say that’s by far the last concern I’d have about DD the Spyder. I actually guess I don’t understand the question. If you want it down before your drive, you put it down. If you want it up, you leave it up. It’s like asking if you should trade all your lace up shoes for loafer because tying laces is such an ordeal (After having a Boxster, I think that’s a fair analogy). There is a whole list of things about the Spyder that make it a huge contradiction to being a DD driver IMO, but the top operation wouldn’t even make my list.
UncleDude (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 11:40 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts

Mine is a DD but that doesn't mean I drive it every day. Rather, it is one of the vehicle that fills the commuting role. Right now I'm not commuting but should start again next month. I also commute on a motorcycle if I feel like it and I have a Subaru for inclement weather.

My biggest issue with the top is putting it up. I prefer to leave it down at all times. I assume that I will leave it down when I get to work and just part in a covered parking space. I think I will get a foam pad to keep in the roof that way I can also keep it down in my garage. There are some circles showing due to the roof almost constantly being down and resting on the bumpers. I think a piece of foam or even a pool noodle in the roof when it is parked in the garage would work, that way the roof stays down 90% of the time. IMO the rood should only go up is caught in inclement weather.
Larry Cable (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 12:15 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 965 Likes on 456 Posts

My Spyder top doesn't come down as often as it did in my 981 simply because you have to stop and do it manually.

That said, I think driving to work 5 days a week is far more a hassle than dropping the Spyder top and that's where I would draw the line.

Quick Reply: Daily Drive a 718 Spyder??