Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Daily Drive a 718 Spyder??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2022 | 12:48 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SunnyWest67
Have an allocation option now for a Spyder. Since this is my daily driver, I am a bit concerned about giving up my BGTS 4.0 for a Spyder for mainly the roof. Not as concerned about suspension, clearance etc. But the manual roof on a daily basis worries me in that I might grow tired of constantly dealing with it vs.the handy power option. I live in the northern Midwest, so not like owning a Spyder in Florida and it won’t be just a wknd car, it would be my daily everyday to work etc.

For those with 718 Spyders that daily drive them have you found the roof to be an issue at all on a daily basis and any regrets?
Watched all of them. Some even put it at 30 seconds, but not that it matters as it doesn’t seem long. Some mention it is difficult to pull those flaps out. In any event I don’t think it would be based on what I see in the videos. But it would be helpful to hear from someone who does daily their Spyder if I am wrong.
As mentioned, daily driver to work so would be closing it every day at work, possibly opening it then for drive home. Again, that is why I ask if someone else does this and whether it just becomes second nature, part of the Spyder experience and manual enjoyment, or a true annoyance over time.
Not sure I had to explain that for the purpose of my question, but ultimately the GT3 bits make it the most appealing roadster in my mind.
I pulled a few quotes out and want to share my take on what I think you are asking... for reference I had 5 Boxster's before this Spyder going back back to my Base 2003. The reason I share this is that some here never even had a Boxster before buying the Spyder, never really drove it daily as you say 5 days a week to and from work so my perspective is from long term exposure...

I have had base models, S and GTS models but one thing they all had was the glorious power roof, in the last 3 I even had the ability to 1-touch open/close the roof at speeds up to 30MPH, that is called convenience! For a 'true' daily driver that makes a huge difference and for anyone who say's it takes only a minute to do the current Spyder top, that pales in comparison to 7 seconds and while on the move. I drove my Boxster's everywhere and all of the time, that power roof meant I could instantly decide if the weather permitted, the dirt got in or the car was at risk, even if the stop was but a few minutes long, there is no way the Spyder is that flexible, oh I am working on it (those that know), but it is not ever going to be the same!

Back in 2014 I was back on the allocation waiting list, I had heard that the flat-6 was soon to be no more, 2016 was supposed the last year, then they said a Spyder was going to be offered, I was bitten but conflicted as well, after a decade of power roofs could I daily a Spyder with as many a 6 or more up/down operations a day, even this enthusiast was worried. Then they announced the specs, unlike the 981 GT4 the Spyder was not a GT car, none of the suspension bits, even less power, IMHO neutered. Even though I was #1 for a 2016 Spyder I chose the 2016 BGTS as my daily driver and enjoyed it for next 4 years. It was the correct choice for me at the time because at the slightest whim I could raise or lower the top and enjoy the experience 100%, no regrets.

Fast forward to 2019 and retirement was on the horizon, the same criteria was no longer going to apply to my beloved Boxster, then the 718 Spyder arrived at Goodwood as a true GT car with everything that goes along with it including the absolutely killer looks that most of will say is the best looking current Porsche out there! If this was going to be available with everything a Boxster owner could ever want then the decision was not why but why not? That top, for some still a bit of a issue, easy or not it is not 7 seconds easy and you do have to stop and get out to operate it.

So to buy the Spyder and use it as a true daily driver, you as the owner have to decide if the restrictions of its operational characteristics outweigh the benefit and privilege of driving probably the best drop-top sports car out there replete with a true GT suspension, personally I made that choice even before retirement, I was all in and willing to work with the top just to own and drive this car. Now that the career has ended my usage pattern changed, instead or being on a work schedule I would be on my schedule, the top is not hard to operate and coupled with the choice of trip destinations and flexibility of timing the Spyder top was no longer going to be a negative determining factor, in fact it was now a novel idea and had the unique look to make it special, it compliments the car's style either up or down, a winner.

​​​@SunnyWest67 the decision is yours!
The following 4 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Dan Nagy (03-16-2022), GT3FZS (03-21-2022), StilettoPat (03-18-2022), UncleDude (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022 | 12:58 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

I daily drive a 718 Boxster spyder all summer up north and a 981 Boxster spyder all winter down south. Both are fine dailies.
Old 03-16-2022 | 01:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

As mentioned, daily driver to work so would be closing it every day at work, possibly opening it then for drive home. Again, that is why I ask if someone else does this and whether it just becomes second nature, part of the Spyder experience and manual enjoyment, or a true annoyance over time.
FWIW if I am parking my Spyder "temporarily" and plan to drive it "later" I do not attach the fins and leave them stored but lock the roof in place, this secures the car, but also reduces the time & complexity to do so - you only need to attach the fins either if you plan to drive with the top up, or you are parking the car for an extended period of time. (and I only do this
in order to stop the top/fins from creasing and/or "shrinking" which makes it harder to latch the top (ask me how I know!)

Last edited by Larry Cable; 03-16-2022 at 09:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022 | 01:35 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Anyone come across a cockpit cover that fits these Spyders well? Putting the top up every time I step out is a slight annoyance, emphasis on SLIGHT. I used the one I found on ebay (I think it was for a standard 981 Boxster despite being represented as a Spyder fit) and it worked well for my So Cal purposes, which are to cover the interior while I step away for a short while, lunch or a bit of shopping. The car never saw a raindrop in the three years I had it and I would not have trusted this cover in that type of situation. But it did come in handy at times. It had straps that held it to the mirrors, the windshield wipers held it at the front, and the rear was tucked in neatly and securely under the rear deck lid.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyd...ng-spyder.html
Old 03-16-2022 | 01:53 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

I guess I have a different view as I don't see a problem here. This is a forum. Users find it very useful to gather information to form their own opinions and make decisions. If 10 people reply to my question and 9 of them are frustrated to no end each day with the manual roof then that data is helpful to me, so really that is all that matters in the end right? I realize I ultimately am the only one that can answer the question, but I like others do find it helpful to gather multiple thoughts on on a subject while deciding. Forums are very helpful for this. Usually.
Right, fair enough.
Old 03-16-2022 | 02:00 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Anyone come across a cockpit cover that fits these Spyders well? Putting the top up every time I step out is a slight annoyance, emphasis on SLIGHT. I used the one I found on ebay (I think it was for a standard 981 Boxster despite being represented as a Spyder fit) and it worked well for my So Cal purposes, which are to cover the interior while I step away for a short while, lunch or a bit of shopping. The car never saw a raindrop in the three years I had it and I would not have trusted this cover in that type of situation. But it did come in handy at times. It had straps that held it to the mirrors, the windshield wipers held it at the front, and the rear was tucked in neatly and securely under the rear deck lid.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyd...ng-spyder.html
I have a 987 Boxster Bimini Cover that I use on my 2017, fits like your linked post shows, not perfect but good for non-rainy use or indoors, this post has the details and a link to a listing for a Spyder version:

What did you buy your 718 today? - Page 51 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

It looks like the forum has buggered up the link in that thread, here it is again: 2016 Porsche Boxster | Car & Truck | Vehicle Covers | Specialty Covers | Search (coveritcanada.ca)

To be clear, I have not ordered that latest version, and they don't show a picture of what it looks like.

Last edited by Westcoast; 03-16-2022 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2022 | 02:06 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I have a 987 Boxster Bimini Cover that I use on my 2017, fits like your linked post shows, not perfect but good for non-rainy use or indoors, this post has the details and a link to a listing for a Spyder version:

What did you buy your 718 today? - Page 51 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

It looks like the forum has buggered up the link in that thread, here it is again: 2016 Porsche Boxster | Car & Truck | Vehicle Covers | Specialty Covers | Search (coveritcanada.ca)

To be clear, I have not ordered that latest version, and they don't show a picture of what it looks like.
Hmm, good info. I'm going to try and get an image of the Spyder cover and see if it's worth a shot.
Old 03-16-2022 | 02:15 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Hi I have been daily driving my 718 Spyder since i got it in September, throughout the entire winter in the Northeast after switching to performance all-season Bridgestone RE980AS+ tires through snow and ice and temperatures down to single digits.

Mind you, car has LW bucket seats, PCCBs and apple play as only options so not even auto-heat/ac control, bose or PDLS. I traded in a loaded 991.1TT for the spyder and i can tell you, I haven't had as meaningful of a sports car bonding experience as with the Spyder and that includes my 991.2 GT3RS and multiple 997 and 991.1 and .2 variants (5 of them).

I have loved every minute of it and the thinner top hasn't been an issue and neither has the lack of heated seats or heated steering wheel. Somehow the Alcantara doesn't feel cold. The car got a full Xpel wrap so i didn't have to worry about scratches from the elements and it looks clean everyday with a little rinse or rainfall.

About the top, i am sure its less convenient than the single button push on any other boxster but i still look back at the Spyder after every time i park it and get goosebumps walking towards it.

I don't know what it is but to me it represents the distillation of a retro Porsche sports car from 50's-60's doing a mountain climb or some such. It's purposeful and beautiful even more with the top up than down... The top does take longer and you have to stop to do it but it becomes second nature and as you get comfortable with the sequence it's a non-issue, and another reason to get that retro connection, and feels like a glove, handles amazingly. It's not for everybody, but so worthwhile and it remains my most enjoyable Porsche experience so far when taking every aspect together.. it's the perfect Porsche. No it doesn't scream to 9k as the RS or have torque AWD/RWS as the TT and it's not a 911 but if I had to pick one car that Porsche makes right now, that's what it would be, and in the same no non-sense spec that I found on the current one, vinyl dash and all.

Last edited by catdog2; 03-16-2022 at 02:18 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by catdog2:
*991* (03-16-2022), 6IXSPD (03-17-2022), dmboone25 (03-17-2022), GTS_Garage (06-11-2023), paradocs98 (09-02-2022), UncleDude (03-16-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-16-2022 | 03:04 PM
SunnyWest67
Advanced

Originally Posted by Eric5280
Sorry if I missed it, but are you able to keep the BGTS 4.0 for a while to compare the two? Having had a GT4 for 6 years, my main concern would be the harsh ride, low clearance, long front end vs the roof. I tried to daily mine for a bit and it was not a great experience. To me, the Spyder/GT4 is one of the best cars ever made, but the BGTS 4.0 is much better for daily use and still feels special. Having both for a brief period may allow you to determine what's best for you.
Yes good point, it is actually something I am considering.
Old 03-16-2022 | 03:07 PM
SunnyWest67
Advanced

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Mine is a DD but that doesn't mean I drive it every day. Rather, it is one of the vehicle that fills the commuting role. Right now I'm not commuting but should start again next month. I also commute on a motorcycle if I feel like it and I have a Subaru for inclement weather.

My biggest issue with the top is putting it up. I prefer to leave it down at all times. I assume that I will leave it down when I get to work and just part in a covered parking space. I think I will get a foam pad to keep in the roof that way I can also keep it down in my garage. There are some circles showing due to the roof almost constantly being down and resting on the bumpers. I think a piece of foam or even a pool noodle in the roof when it is parked in the garage would work, that way the roof stays down 90% of the time. IMO the rood should only go up is caught in inclement weather.
Thank you. That is why I wanted to hear comments on the top as I would be putting it up ever day I arrived at work.
Old 03-16-2022 | 03:10 PM
SunnyWest67
Advanced

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I pulled a few quotes out and want to share my take on what I think you are asking... for reference I had 5 Boxster's before this Spyder going back back to my Base 2003. The reason I share this is that some here never even had a Boxster before buying the Spyder, never really drove it daily as you say 5 days a week to and from work so my perspective is from long term exposure...

I have had base models, S and GTS models but one thing they all had was the glorious power roof, in the last 3 I even had the ability to 1-touch open/close the roof at speeds up to 30MPH, that is called convenience! For a 'true' daily driver that makes a huge difference and for anyone who say's it takes only a minute to do the current Spyder top, that pales in comparison to 7 seconds and while on the move. I drove my Boxster's everywhere and all of the time, that power roof meant I could instantly decide if the weather permitted, the dirt got in or the car was at risk, even if the stop was but a few minutes long, there is no way the Spyder is that flexible, oh I am working on it (those that know), but it is not ever going to be the same!

Back in 2014 I was back on the allocation waiting list, I had heard that the flat-6 was soon to be no more, 2016 was supposed the last year, then they said a Spyder was going to be offered, I was bitten but conflicted as well, after a decade of power roofs could I daily a Spyder with as many a 6 or more up/down operations a day, even this enthusiast was worried. Then they announced the specs, unlike the 981 GT4 the Spyder was not a GT car, none of the suspension bits, even less power, IMHO neutered. Even though I was #1 for a 2016 Spyder I chose the 2016 BGTS as my daily driver and enjoyed it for next 4 years. It was the correct choice for me at the time because at the slightest whim I could raise or lower the top and enjoy the experience 100%, no regrets.

Fast forward to 2019 and retirement was on the horizon, the same criteria was no longer going to apply to my beloved Boxster, then the 718 Spyder arrived at Goodwood as a true GT car with everything that goes along with it including the absolutely killer looks that most of will say is the best looking current Porsche out there! If this was going to be available with everything a Boxster owner could ever want then the decision was not why but why not? That top, for some still a bit of a issue, easy or not it is not 7 seconds easy and you do have to stop and get out to operate it.

So to buy the Spyder and use it as a true daily driver, you as the owner have to decide if the restrictions of its operational characteristics outweigh the benefit and privilege of driving probably the best drop-top sports car out there replete with a true GT suspension, personally I made that choice even before retirement, I was all in and willing to work with the top just to own and drive this car. Now that the career has ended my usage pattern changed, instead or being on a work schedule I would be on my schedule, the top is not hard to operate and coupled with the choice of trip destinations and flexibility of timing the Spyder top was no longer going to be a negative determining factor, in fact it was now a novel idea and had the unique look to make it special, it compliments the car's style either up or down, a winner.

​​​@SunnyWest67 the decision is yours!
Thank you for your great and very helpful comments.
StilettoPat (03-18-2022)
Old 03-16-2022 | 07:00 PM
unclemat
Pro

Personally it is a strong no for me. The roof is not a huge deal to operate, but annoying enough to become a chore. Especially so it hampers access to the trunk when up (the buttresses need to be undone).

Finally what gets me, it's all form, no function. I like the idea of 987 Spyder roof's more: which while even more of a chore, at least offers real benefits (weight savings and bimini top mode).

I almost bought a 981 Spyder, thinking "oh, roof no big deal, I love how it looks" (I did). I did not buy the car for other reasons, then I rented a 718 Boxster for a road trip in California. Given how often I had the top up and down in varying circumstances, I could not live with Spyder's top.

I can see it's ok when the car is used as for point A to point A short drives in California. Heck, maybe even commute is a decent scenario where you close and open the roof once a day (at work presumably). For road trip and general use - no way!
Old 03-16-2022 | 07:25 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unclemat
Personally it is a strong no for me. The roof is not a huge deal to operate, but annoying enough to become a chore. Especially so it hampers access to the trunk when up (the buttresses need to be undone).

Finally what gets me, it's all form, no function. I like the idea of 987 Spyder roof's more: which while even more of a chore, at least offers real benefits (weight savings and bimini top mode).

I almost bought a 981 Spyder, thinking "oh, roof no big deal, I love how it looks" (I did). I did not buy the car for other reasons, then I rented a 718 Boxster for a road trip in California. Given how often I had the top up and down in varying circumstances, I could not live with Spyder's top.

I can see it's ok when the car is used as for point A to point A short drives in California. Heck, maybe even commute is a decent scenario where you close and open the roof once a day (at work presumably). For road trip and general use - no way!
I guess it all comes down to your tolerance. I have DD race cars with no AC/heat and rollcages. I currently DR a motorcycle which requires all the gear, ear plugs, and a helmet as well as a case for laptop/gym clothes and weather appropriate layers. The Spyder feels like pure luxury in comparison. Just finished a 1200 road trip and it went great!
GT3FZS (03-21-2022)
Old 03-16-2022 | 07:53 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

I’ve got a Spyder and live in the rainy Northwest. I love it, and I’ve never been frustrated for a second by the top. For me, it is a small sacrifice to achieve a design that is unmatched in the convertible world.

I’m also a top down almost all the time guy. If it isn’t raining, the top is down. With my winter tires on and the temps in the 30s I had the top down. I store the car with the top up, so I’m opening and closing the top regularly. It takes about 30 seconds to put it down and about 40 to put it up. On long drives it isn’t uncommon to need to out the top up and down a few times. I have driven in a light rain with the top down as I was driving through some weather and no rain made it in the car.

Keep in mind that my other convertible is a hard top Jeep which requires some tools and a lift in my garage to take off. I do that frequently in the summer as well without complaint 😂
MaddMike (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022 | 08:03 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
FWIW if I am parking my Spyder "temporarily" and plan to drive it "later" I do not attach the fins and leave them stored but lock the roof in place, this secures the car, but also reduces the time & complexity to do so - you only need to attach the fins either if you plan to drive with the top up, or you are parking the car for an extended period of time.
^^^THIS.
Economical on time, secures the car, and is slightly confusing to onlookers--so the car becomes something to simply 'stay away from'.
I so look forward to joining you in this practice if-ever my Spyder arrives.

...and for bonus time saving, I plan to 'loose flop' the top and NOT secure the power latch-down for situations when locking isn't necessary.

Last edited by Bearrun21; 03-16-2022 at 08:04 PM.
Larry Cable (03-16-2022)

Quick Reply: Daily Drive a 718 Spyder??