Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Daily Drive a 718 Spyder??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 01:58 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
The top, like the fabric door pulls are more about the "cool" factor than anything else...

I hear you. I tried to replace the fabric door pulls on my 981 Spyder with the hard handles from the other models (991 door panels are the same part numbers) and I was ALMOST successful. But for several plasti-welds in and around the handle escutcheon that would have had to have been melted off I would have done it. I gave up and returned the parts and hung my head in defeat.

I found the link to the old thread with pics.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyd...l#post14680602

Mas macho:

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 03-22-2022 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:48 PM
SunnyWest67
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Still interested to know anyone's thoughts on what you think of the GTS4.0 vs Spyder for feel and handling? Is there miles of difference between them?

Many reviews state the steering feel is remarkably better in the Spyder? I am thinking that all those GT3 bits might add up to much, much better feel over the GTS4.0.
Old 03-27-2022, 12:55 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
First time I've read that the sypder top isn't "robust" enough to be used daily. I find that hard to believe, what's the basis of this opinion?
Having driven my 718 Spyder through a cold and snowy/icy winter in the northeast, the top stand up well to bad weather and is excellent, even if thinner than base Boxster.
Finally switched tires back to the Dunlop Race Maxx 2's it cane with from the all-season Bridgestone 980AS+'s and the handling is again as first time I drove it absolutely superb...
Can't imagine the 4.0GTS handles anywhere close, of course at expense of comfort, but having the lighter roof and GT4 suspension is a unique combination... get the Spyder
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 05:56 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

If it is an occasional car, then the Spyder makes much more sense. But since the OP is asking about DD, I'd probably pick the GTS. It's more comfortable, more convenient for everyday use. On the streets the softer suspension is easier to live with. On the canyons you may feel the difference if you push the car. On track you will certainly feel the difference. There is always the option of buying a second set of wheels and slapping on a more aggressive tire for track purposes if going to track 10+ times per year.

For example: sometimes I don't put the top down deliberately if the car is dusty (and Gentian shows it) because seeing hand prints on the rear deck afterwards annoys me. Or for 10 min drives I usually don't put the top down because I don't want to deal with closing it back. With Boxster GTS you can put it up and down as many times as you want with a push of a button.
unclemat (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 07:33 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnyWest67
Still interested to know anyone's thoughts on what you think of the GTS4.0 vs Spyder for feel and handling? Is there miles of difference between them?

Many reviews state the steering feel is remarkably better in the Spyder? I am thinking that all those GT3 bits might add up to much, much better feel over the GTS4.0.
I think there are some YouTube videos out here comparing both. There was one from Nick Murray IIRC.

I think it depends on how perceptive you are, and how hard you drive it.

I personally have not driven both back to back. I would guess most of us on here haven’t either. I would assume the harder you drive them, the more difference you will notice. Seat choice I think can also make the car ‘feel’ different.

The way l look at it, their main difference would be
Price
handling
look
Options availability ie Blind spot, memory seats, keyless….etc

For me personally, I would put up with what I considered minor inconveniences (eg fussy top, difficult egress from LWBS, scrape easier) to get the look and handling. Worse case scenario, I would just change mine from an intended DD to an occasional car.

At the end of the day, they are both good cars. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.
Larry Cable (03-28-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 03:27 PM
SunnyWest67
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great comments, thx everyone.

Quick Reply: Daily Drive a 718 Spyder??