Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Comparison: Soul OAP+VC versus JCR Silenced Valved Exhaust w/ Stock OAPs

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 10:47 AM
incursion
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
incursion,

Well what he says makes sense to me as I think the increased sounds are a combination of things.
I'm going for the following combination on my 2021 GT4 and see how I like it.
My thinking is I will.

BMC Performance air intake filters.
SOUL OAP with Ceramic Jet-Hot 1300 degree coating.
Cargraphics Mode 2 valve control unit.

I think the above is the most cost effective combination for adding the Porsche High-Performance sound.

Terry
If I'm remembering the other post, I believe the air filter change supposedly increases intake noise.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 10:55 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 823 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
incursion,

Well what he says makes sense to me as I think the increased sounds are a combination of things.
I'm going for the following combination on my 2021 GT4 and see how I like it.
My thinking is I will.

BMC Performance air intake filters.
SOUL OAP with Ceramic Jet-Hot 1300 degree coating.
Cargraphics Mode 2 valve control unit.

I think the above is the most cost effective combination for adding the Porsche High-Performance sound.

Terry
Originally Posted by incursion
If I'm remembering the other post, I believe the air filter change supposedly increases intake noise.
incursion,

That's correct and that's what I'm wanting.

Add the BMC intake filters which will certainly Flow-More.
Keep in mind Porsche has those on the GT3 from the Factory that should Automatically tell one they are the Best.
Then do the SOUL OAP for additional exhaust flow.
Cargraphics controller to have whatever sound you prefer for that drive.
Can't get any better than that.

Terry
The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
IL_Pete (06-29-2022), Soul Performance (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 12:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

just FYI the air filters are NOT accessed from the engine compartment, but from the rear trunk...
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
IL_Pete (06-29-2022), tigerhonaker (06-29-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 10:44 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Will-i-am718
I’ve been really enjoying reading this whole thread. I have a 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 MT which as of 6/14 has the SoulP resonated oap & BMC air filters. And on 6/17, the CG valve controller unit & the SS delete were done. I think it sounds a little deeper & throatier now with no additional bothersome drone in all rpm ranges with both VO & VC settings—granted these were all just minor changes but cumulatively, it seems to have made a significant difference. But, I feel like i need a little more volume. I’m considering adding the SoulP valved exhaust muffler which sounds great on Matt M’s YT review. Question: At this juncture, what other back boxes should i even consider? Kline (won’t fit the SoulP due to Kline’s proprietary system), Cargraphics (quality exhausts made in Germany but confusing 4 muffler options & not sure if the sound will be as robust as SoulP & JCR, or JCR (great motorsport sound but worried about fitment & also titanium’s potential for cracking since i plan to track it someday in the future). Or should i just stick with the SoulP back-box add-on? At the end of the warranty period, i will consider street headers & an ECU tune if that helps. Thanks gentlemen! Hope i didn’t go off on a tangent here.
William:

I too found the Cargraphic options confusing. Their YouTube videos sound great, but there is not much feedback here on anyone having their systems with Exhaust + OAP and commentary on the bassiness/drone. Their High Flow Filter OAPs are a great "in-between" solution between Stock OAPs and Wide Open OAPs, a little less bassiness than the Should Resonated OAPs I just switched to. But I can't comment with regards to their exhausts.

The JCR Non-Silenced I did run with a Cayman GTS 4.0 last year, and combined with the CG HFF OAPs was the best with that with the Cayman for me (I tried stock, CG HFF and Soul Wide Open OAPs), it was a good balance of being aggressive without getting too much bassiness. The bassiness was reduced by letting PSE do its thing with closing the valves below 3800 RPM. The JCR is a little different than others in that it quiets down a little with valves closed, but still has a good sporty sound, it just removes a bit of the bassiness, versus others seem to quiet down more - in a good way when you want to be quiet, but not so good with regards to a sporty tone. In fact, with the Cayman I turned the VC off most of the time while daily driving and let the PSE control the Valves with that CG HFF + JCR Silenced Combo, and just opened the valves all the time for spirited country road drives.

I suspect the Soul Resonated OAPs plus the JCR Silenced would have a little more of the bassiness, but it might still be okay for daily driving with the PSE on doing its thing.

I haven't tried the Soul Exhaust yet, but it seems to get good reviews here, and they are great to work with. There is at least one person on that thread that has the combo of the new Resonated OAPs plus their exhaust.

Based on my experience, I would say JCR Silenced or Soul if you are set on keeping the Soul Resonated OAPs. Also, maybe consider the JCR Non-Silenced version if you want more volume. I haven't tried that one yet, but it is on my list to try. The Kline is great too, but as you commented you need to do their Exhaust + OAPs. There are other options out there, but that would be my 2 cents for an answer to your question.

I am also considering doing Street Headers and a tune down the road. Not sure if I want THAT much volume, but it sure seems tempting! I would set the tune to eliminate the cold start so as to not annoy the neighbors too badly (I know I probably already do - just don't want to make it worse!).

Good luck!

-Pete

P.S. Nice Cayman in your Avatar pic!
Will-i-am718 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 10:46 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Will-i-am718
Looks like good timing on those questioning the BMC filters:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uDPJzv_bzDE&feature=share
So I guess I was on track that I felt the BMC Air Filters made a difference!

I do hear in that video a bit of the same sort of tone I attributed to the filters, over 6000-6500 RPM.
The following 2 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
tigerhonaker (06-30-2022), Will-i-am718 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 11:41 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpydrGuy
I don't blame you for keeping the top down all the time. If it's not raining, my top is always down on my Spyder.

It sounds like you're OK with the deep bass noise at 2K with the JCR and Soul resonated OAPs, at least with the top down. Did the Soul resonated OAPs make it worse than with the CG HFFs?
Yes, I am okay with it with the top down. Top up in a Boxster is not that much different than top down. (Top up in a Cayman with windows up is much more sensitive, from my experience last year. You have to crack a window or two to reduce that.)

I definitely did notice a slight increase in bassiness with the Soul Resonated OAPs versus the CG HFF OAPs, but my memory tells me not as much so as the Soul Wide Open OAPs (but tough to be certain as (1) that was last year and (2) that was in a Cayman re Stock and Wide Open and now I am comparing in a Boxster), so the Resonated design seems to be making a difference, unless the Placebo effect is getting me - that I am assuming there is a difference so I am hearing it. I find that to make sense, as the CG has a filter in the OAP, albeit a higher flowing one than the Stock OAP with he OPF, which intuitively would be less free flowing than an OAP without a filter with a resonator. So theoretically this is the comparison in flow between the 4 OAPs options I have tried, from lowest to highest flow:

Stock OAPs with OPF >> CG OAPs with HFF >> Resonated OAPs >> Wide Open OAPs

You end up with a spectrum of increased power and volume across that spectrum from left to right, paired with increase in bassiness in the troubled RPM ranges - when combined with an aftermarket more free flowing exhaust. I think it is really that simple. (The Kline not included in that, as it somehow greatly reduces the bassiness with its unique design.) (Also, this does not include any notion aftermarket headers, which I have zero experience with.) To me, the sweet spot of the balance between the tradeoffs is the middle two.

I am finding that with the Soul Resonated OAPs I am turning the VC off from Valves open all the time to letting PSE do its work - when driving casually around town, to reduce that bassiness, as I did with the Cayman last year with the CG HFF OAPs as I just mentioned above, and having Valves open all the time just for the spirited country road drives, versus with the CG HFF OAPs in the Boxster I was leaving them open all the time.

Also of note - there is the bassiness in the 2000 to 2400 RPM range, but there is also a little bit of an increase in the bassiness in the 3500 to 3900 RPM as well, not as significant as the lower one. I do hear it though. I have heard this in other combinations as well, even very slightly in the Kline.

Speaking of the Kline - I am going to try that again, in Inconel like last year. I am curious to try it in the Boxster versus the Cayman, and also with the BMC Air Filters, and compare again with @tdlondon 's Spyder with the Inconel Kline system. I ordered that yesterday - of course from Eric at @SupremePower, who does a great job of keeping those in stock. I am going to do the SS Tips with the Black Finish.

Report on that coming in a few weeks, need to get the tips painted and then get it installed.
Will-i-am718 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 05:20 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Just got back from a spirited country road drive. (Lunch break from work!)

While it is fresh in my head. That "roar" of noise that I attribute to the Air Filters is much more so throttle level dependent, versus RPM dependent (which makes sense). So you get it as low as 4000 to 4500 RPM at WOT, and it goes to redline if the throttle is kept down.

This is good and bad. Good in that you can keep it quieter at lower throttle levels. Bad in that it sounds so darn good under heavy/full throttle that it eggs you on to go full throttle whenever you feel you can. Doing 1st, 2nd and then 3rd to redline in each gear (at full throttle) is now even more a mindblowingly amazing experience! (Of course I only recommend 3rd at redline in Mexico, on a track or on a private Airstrip.)

Good cheap sound upgrade IMO. How a went a year with the Cayman without consider that is beyond me. I did have it on a list and thought about it, but I didn't read anyone raving about it here, so I didn't make it a priority.
The following 2 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
jimdillard (07-01-2022), tigerhonaker (07-01-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 05:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IL_Pete

While it is fresh in my head. That "roar" of noise that I attribute to the Air Filters is much more so throttle level dependent, versus RPM dependent (which makes sense). So you get it as low as 4000 to 4500 RPM at WOT, and it goes to redline if the throttle is kept down.

This is good and bad. Good in that you can keep it quieter at lower throttle levels. Bad in that it sounds so darn good under heavy/full throttle that it eggs you on to go full throttle whenever you feel you can. Doing 1st, 2nd and then 3rd to redline in each gear (at full throttle) is now even more a mindblowingly amazing experience! (Of course I only recommend 3rd at redline in Mexico, on a track or on a private Airstrip.)

Good cheap sound upgrade IMO. How a went a year with the Cayman without consider that is beyond me. I did have it on a list and thought about it, but I didn't read anyone raving about it here, so I didn't make it a priority.
this!
jimdillard (07-01-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 05:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

William:

I too found the Cargraphic options confusing. Their YouTube videos sound great, but there is not much feedback here on anyone having their systems with Exhaust + OAP and commentary on the bassiness/drone. Their High Flow Filter OAPs are a great "in-between" solution between Stock OAPs and Wide Open OAPs, a little less bassiness than the Should Resonated OAPs I just switched to. But I can't comment with regards to their exhausts.

The JCR Non-Silenced I did run with a Cayman GTS 4.0 last year, and combined with the CG HFF OAPs was the best with that with the Cayman for me (I tried stock, CG HFF and Soul Wide Open OAPs), it was a good balance of being aggressive without getting too much bassiness. The bassiness was reduced by letting PSE do its thing with closing the valves below 3800 RPM. The JCR is a little different than others in that it quiets down a little with valves closed, but still has a good sporty sound, it just removes a bit of the bassiness, versus others seem to quiet down more - in a good way when you want to be quiet, but not so good with regards to a sporty tone. In fact, with the Cayman I turned the VC off most of the time while daily driving and let the PSE control the Valves with that CG HFF + JCR Silenced Combo, and just opened the valves all the time for spirited country road drives.

I suspect the Soul Resonated OAPs plus the JCR Silenced would have a little more of the bassiness, but it might still be okay for daily driving with the PSE on doing its thing.

I haven't tried the Soul Exhaust yet, but it seems to get good reviews here, and they are great to work with. There is at least one person on that thread that has the combo of the new Resonated OAPs plus their exhaust.

Based on my experience, I would say JCR Silenced or Soul if you are set on keeping the Soul Resonated OAPs. Also, maybe consider the JCR Non-Silenced version if you want more volume. I haven't tried that one yet, but it is on my list to try. The Kline is great too, but as you commented you need to do their Exhaust + OAPs. There are other options out there, but that would be my 2 cents for an answer to your question.

I am also considering doing Street Headers and a tune down the road. Not sure if I want THAT much volume, but it sure seems tempting! I would set the tune to eliminate the cold start so as to not annoy the neighbors too badly (I know I probably already do - just don't want to make it worse!).

Good luck!

-Pete

P.S. Nice Cayman in your Avatar pic!
agree! I would like to try the Soul Resonated OAPs to compare with the CG "high flow" if nothing else the Soul is a lot lighter
jimdillard (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 10:32 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 823 Posts
Thumbs up

This is good and bad. Good in that you can keep it quieter at lower throttle levels. Bad in that it sounds so darn good under heavy/full throttle that it eggs you on to go full throttle whenever you feel you can. Doing 1st, 2nd and then 3rd to redline in each gear (at full throttle) is now even more a mind-blowingly amazing experience! (Of course I only recommend 3rd at redline in Mexico, on a track or on a private Airstrip.)

Pete,

Thanks to your continuing comments I JUMPED on the BMC Performance intake air-filters.
This coming Tuesday I drop mine off at PON for the installs.
SOUL OAP, Cargraphics Mod 2 & of course once again thanks to you the BMC Performance Filters.

BMC Performance have arrived and now loaded in my GT4.
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post18223198

Your the Man

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 07-01-2022 at 10:58 AM.
jimdillard (07-01-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 12:08 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

I took my B25 out on a track on Friday. After I came in I chatted with a guy who asked if that was me in the Boxster. He said "Holy cow, that sounded AMAZING!", and asked me what I had on there for an exhaust.

That was nice to hear. With the long gearing of the 718 4.0, I was often too long in 3rd for the tighter bits, so I often did 2nd at some ballistic RPMs. I sounded pretty amazing inside the car too, top up and windows down. Even with a helmet on, it sounded pretty killer.

Fun times!
tigerhonaker (07-03-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 02:29 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

You're running resnaonted soul over axle pipe and a JCR non-silenced rear section now? What do you think the Kline will give you that you don’t have? I'm worried you're chasing and impossible goal!, but it is fun to watch and read.
Assad Jarrahian (11-22-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 05:18 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Sure, will do! I don't have a laser thermometer, but looked them up on Amazon - they aren't too much. That would be another interesting and fun thing to compare on different OAPs.
So I measured the temperature of the OEM GPF...after an 1-hour causal drive..... still breaking in so nothing over 4,000rpm

Temp measured at CAT housing 172 degree C (342 F)
Temp measured at insulated OEM OAP 96 degree C (205 F)
Temp measured at GPF housing 105 degree C (221 F)

Ambient temp is 30 degree C (86 F)

Last edited by lowbee; 07-03-2022 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Update numbers
Old 07-03-2022, 08:11 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
You're running resnaonted soul over axle pipe and a JCR non-silenced rear section now? What do you think the Kline will give you that you don’t have? I'm worried you're chasing and impossible goal!, but it is fun to watch and read.
Correct on the current setup. The current setup is great! To clarify, I have a GT4 coming in August - So I was planning to get another exhaust for that anyway, and given the hardtop and being more susceptible to the bassiness the troublesome RPMs, I was thinking of the Kline. I decided to get it early and try it on the Boxster 25 first. If not for the GT4 coming, I probably wouldn't have ordered the Kline.

If I put the Kline on the Boxster and really love it, then I will really be causing myself problems, I would have to buy a second one! LOL, first world problems.

I plan to overlap the GT4 and Boxster, and consider keeping both for a while, or selling one of them. I switched my GT4 order at the last minute from a Manual to a PDK. I wanted to check out the PDK, but at the same time I am a die-hard Manual fan, so I may have set myself up to either keep both or keep the B25 and sometime later sell the GT4, but likely not keep the GT4 over the Boxster, which might have happened if I stuck with the Manual in the GT4. I plan to do more track time, so I thought the GT4 with a PDK would be fun for the track. If I dig it for that, I may try to justify keeping both, at least until I see what 2023 brings for allocations.

I saw your exhaust video this morning on Instagram (and then later here). It sounded GREAT! I really need to get a camera and mic setup for these exhaust comparisons.

Last edited by IL_Pete; 07-03-2022 at 08:13 PM.
UncleDude (07-03-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 10:30 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

OK Pete, that makes more sense!

Quick Reply: Comparison: Soul OAP+VC versus JCR Silenced Valved Exhaust w/ Stock OAPs