Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Comparison: Soul OAP+VC versus JCR Silenced Valved Exhaust w/ Stock OAPs

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 03:15 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianShaw23
The more I drive the car with the JCR exhaust I'm actually starting to really like it. The drone isn't as bad as it seemed originally. Seems overall the drone is definitely slightly more than stock and much worse than stock at certain RPMs as others have said many times on here. Certain RPMs just have unacceptable levels of drone but for the most part expect slightly more overall drone than stock. The car really does sound amazing though at WOT.
I do hope you reconsider and do end up keeping the JCR. FWIW, I have their manifolds, and superlight catted silenced setup, and my wife didn't have more than a few issues on a nearly 13 our round trip drive...and only then when we were stuck on some back roads with large inclines in the 2200ish range. This was only an issue because the windows were closed with the A/C on, cracking the windows even an inch minimizes some resonance from inside of the cabin. Rolling the windows down even further makes it a bit nicer. I agree that the small bit of resonance that comes into the cabin in the lowest part of the rev range is exponentially worth it given how the system sounds and pulls from 3k on. I had the manifolds, factory OAP and Fabspeed rear and with the valved setup the sound and resonance was really quite poor. I had a feeling that it was due to the Fabspeed since I had driven around with the factory manifolds just and I didn't experience much of an issue.....valves fully opened was even better and much less resonance.

Keep us posted how they get along, but I do think it will either be a quick adjustment, or you'll find a setup that works to minimize it. It is truly worth it when hustling along at every other specific rpm range outside of the 1800-2500 rpms.
The following users liked this post:
BrianShaw23 (07-07-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 03:52 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
I do hope you reconsider and do end up keeping the JCR. FWIW, I have their manifolds, and superlight catted silenced setup, and my wife didn't have more than a few issues on a nearly 13 our round trip drive...and only then when we were stuck on some back roads with large inclines in the 2200ish range. This was only an issue because the windows were closed with the A/C on, cracking the windows even an inch minimizes some resonance from inside of the cabin. Rolling the windows down even further makes it a bit nicer. I agree that the small bit of resonance that comes into the cabin in the lowest part of the rev range is exponentially worth it given how the system sounds and pulls from 3k on. I had the manifolds, factory OAP and Fabspeed rear and with the valved setup the sound and resonance was really quite poor. I had a feeling that it was due to the Fabspeed since I had driven around with the factory manifolds just and I didn't experience much of an issue.....valves fully opened was even better and much less resonance.

Keep us posted how they get along, but I do think it will either be a quick adjustment, or you'll find a setup that works to minimize it. It is truly worth it when hustling along at every other specific rpm range outside of the 1800-2500 rpms.
It varies per person. Personally, I feel I should not have to drive around an RPM range, crack windows, or constantly shift gears and drive in an unnatural manner. I've gone though this and had my unit not sounded great valves open all the time, it was coming off.
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
flynlo (07-07-2022), tigerhonaker (07-08-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 04:08 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UncleDude
It varies per person. Personally, I feel I should not have to drive around an RPM range, crack windows, or constantly shift gears and drive in an unnatural manner. I've gone though this and had my unit not sounded great valves open all the time, it was coming off.
I won't disagree with that, but even the factory unit has the drone zone with their setup, so clearly even the Porsche engineers couldn't bend physics. Every person is definitely different in their tastes and experiences.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:06 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 823 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Pretty sure that is illegal around here.

And if I have to wear hearing protection while driving on the street the system is way too loud!
Westcoast,

AMEN ^^^

Terry
Old 07-08-2022, 10:21 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 606 Likes on 349 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. I'm not running PS4S and have what are probably the highest dust pads on the planet.

I use airpods when making long trips, like >100 miles; for 20 milers it's fine. But what I have definitely isn't for every one, and the headers make a bigger difference in loudness and drone than does the JCR valved silenced. Outside the drone zone, even the headers + high flow cats + valved silenced is fine as far as my comfort is concerned, including WOT and on the track.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:44 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 430 Posts

Change in my plans - I was going to install the Kline System on the Boxster 25. The Exhaust came in last week, the tips come this week.

While I am very curious as to how the Boxster 25 would sound with the Kline System versus the JCR Silenced plus the Soul Resonated OAPs, I really like the current setup on the Boxster 25, and I have the GT4 coming in about a month. I don't think it is worth it at this point to spend the money for the install on the B25 and potentially be doing a de-install 30 days down the road to put the Kline on the GT4. I am pretty certain that is what I want on the GT4, the Kline Exhaust.

Just as problematic, if I put the Kline on the B25 and liked it better than the JCR+Soul, I might decide to buy a second Kline and then sell the current setup for the B25. Or even if they were about the same, I might do that to save the de-install money and effort.

I dig the JCR+Soul setup now, so I will run with that on the B25 for the foreseeable future, and put the Kline on the GT4 as soon as that comes in. That seems more prudent, I will have a lot going on anyway with the new car and the work to do PPF and Ceramic, and then the Mod installs. First world problems, LOL!

The bigger issue/experiment longer term is will I decide to keep just one of the two 718 4.0's, or will/can I justify both? The GT4 is a PDK, and I am a die-hard Manual kind of guy, but I wanted to try the PDK and see how I liked it, particularly on the track.

I am sure it will be a conundrum and a tough decision, as I really do love the B25 for street driving, and in the good weather having a roadster with the top down in a Manual is pure heaven. I really love some of the attributes of the B25 over the GT4, the Red Top and the Full Bordeaux Red Interior, the ventilated seats and some of the other luxury/convenience features of the GTS. Equally so though, I think the GT4 in a PDK is going to be amazing on the track, and probably not too shabby for street driving either...
Alpha Ice (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 12:49 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
Change in my plans - I was going to install the Kline System on the Boxster 25. The Exhaust came in last week, the tips come this week.

While I am very curious as to how the Boxster 25 would sound with the Kline System versus the JCR Silenced plus the Soul Resonated OAPs, I really like the current setup on the Boxster 25, and I have the GT4 coming in about a month. I don't think it is worth it at this point to spend the money for the install on the B25 and potentially be doing a de-install 30 days down the road to put the Kline on the GT4. I am pretty certain that is what I want on the GT4, the Kline Exhaust.

Just as problematic, if I put the Kline on the B25 and liked it better than the JCR+Soul, I might decide to buy a second Kline and then sell the current setup for the B25. Or even if they were about the same, I might do that to save the de-install money and effort.

I dig the JCR+Soul setup now, so I will run with that on the B25 for the foreseeable future, and put the Kline on the GT4 as soon as that comes in. That seems more prudent, I will have a lot going on anyway with the new car and the work to do PPF and Ceramic, and then the Mod installs. First world problems, LOL!

The bigger issue/experiment longer term is will I decide to keep just one of the two 718 4.0's, or will/can I justify both? The GT4 is a PDK, and I am a die-hard Manual kind of guy, but I wanted to try the PDK and see how I liked it, particularly on the track.

I am sure it will be a conundrum and a tough decision, as I really do love the B25 for street driving, and in the good weather having a roadster with the top down in a Manual is pure heaven. I really love some of the attributes of the B25 over the GT4, the Red Top and the Full Bordeaux Red Interior, the ventilated seats and some of the other luxury/convenience features of the GTS. Equally so though, I think the GT4 in a PDK is going to be amazing on the track, and probably not too shabby for street driving either...
I agree that you'll have your hands full, I'm also going to be very curious to see how you feel about the JCR sound vs the Kline. I know you've been wanting to try all of them, and you pretty much have at this point. I know the GT4 does have quite a bit less interior noise padding and such as evidenced by a couple recent users who had swapped cars. I thought it was enduro, but my apologies for forgetting. The PDK is a wonderful setup, I'm sure around the track it will be wonderful and I do miss being able to bang off shifts with ease when I had my Panamera GTS. The sounds the v8 made with that transmission still best the H6 and the JCR setup I have currently imo...but bein able to row my own does make it neck and neck. I am glad you went with the B25 as we discussed the weather around here does change a lot quicker than we'd expect. Please keep us posted and best of luck with your arrival!
Old 07-10-2022, 02:23 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

@Alpha Ice prob @incursion who's heard mine with JCR and stock manifolds + OAPs, but he's also made it a point to hear several systems IRL. He needs to hear my current setup sometime. He heard the current setup at a distance, but that was the one day I'd forced the valves open and I don't like the way it sounds in that config. I want to hear @electron mike 's Kline IRL.
Old 07-10-2022, 05:21 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro
@Alpha Ice prob @incursion who's heard mine with JCR and stock manifolds + OAPs, but he's also made it a point to hear several systems IRL. He needs to hear my current setup sometime. He heard the current setup at a distance, but that was the one day I'd forced the valves open and I don't like the way it sounds in that config. I want to hear @electron mike 's Kline IRL.
I'm down to hear the Dundon and JCR from the inside. I'd love to hear @electron mike's as well.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:40 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I finally converted my mp4 vids to avi of @NiteCrawlr 's full Kline Inconel in his GTS 4.0.

He short-shifted in the windows up video.
Added links to YouTube for convenience:
Attached Files

Last edited by incursion; 07-11-2022 at 12:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by incursion:
flynlo (07-11-2022), Will-i-am718 (07-12-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 11:34 AM
mprog
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 115 Posts

This really is the best thread.

I have the silenced valves JCR rear section, and the BMC Air Filters, and my car sounds IMO absolutely amazing. Both inside and out. I couldn’t be happier.

But as my car is mostly a track car, I’ve been considering adding the Soul Resonated OAP (since JCR’s silenced pipe is TBD in terms of delivery). I’m just a bit concerned that the 2-3k resonance is gonna be too much. I might just do it and if I don’t like it, sell the pipe.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:43 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,662 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by mprog

I have the silenced valves JCR rear section, and the BMC Air Filters, and my car sounds IMO absolutely amazing. Both inside and out. I couldn’t be happier.

But as my car is mostly a track car, I’ve been considering adding the Soul Resonated OAP (since JCR’s silenced pipe is TBD in terms of delivery). I’m just a bit concerned that the 2-3k resonance is gonna be too much. I might just do it and if I don’t like it, sell the pipe.
Have Soul ship the resonated OAP to me and I will test it with my Silenced JCR rear section in place of the Akra OAP...
rjag2034 (07-12-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 02:28 PM
SpydrGuy
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mprog

I'm in the same situation with my Spyder. I love the sound of the silenced JCR, but would like it just a bit louder. However, while the 2-3k RPM resonance is fine now, it's close to the limit of what I want to live with as a daily driver. I'm afraid I'd come to regret replacing the OEM OAP with either the Soul Resonated OAP or the Cargraphic OAP.
Old 07-11-2022, 02:51 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by incursion
I finally converted my mp4 vids to avi of @NiteCrawlr 's full Kline Inconel in his GTS 4.0.

Added links to YouTube for convenience: https://youtube.com/shorts/kp8ndy4nRm0?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/4p2y4sQaosM?feature=share
It's always a good thing when the cabin is filled with involuntary laughter.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:03 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by incursion

Added links to YouTube for convenience: https://youtube.com/shorts/kp8ndy4nRm0?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/4p2y4sQaosM?feature=share
That sounds amazing!!!!

Quick Reply: Comparison: Soul OAP+VC versus JCR Silenced Valved Exhaust w/ Stock OAPs