Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Comparison: Soul OAP+VC versus JCR Silenced Valved Exhaust w/ Stock OAPs

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 08:15 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by incursion
@IL_Pete do you have the CG HFF with OPF filter bypass and no OPF sensor?
I have the Cargraphic High Flow Filter one, with no OPF Sensor, since my car is a US Car with no Sensor. But they do make a version with a Sensor.

I have this one:

https://www.cargraphic.de/en/your-ve...rp82gt4opfnom/
Old 06-10-2022, 08:33 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
I have the Cargraphic High Flow Filter one, with no OPF Sensor, since my car is a US Car with no Sensor. But they do make a version with a Sensor.

I have this one:

https://www.cargraphic.de/en/your-ve...rp82gt4opfnom/
OK so you have the filter. I wonder if the no filter throws a warning on the dash.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:46 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Soul Performance
Wait no more - they're available now!

-Mike
I am eagerly awaiting mine! I look forward to trying them.

Originally Posted by 998R
What do we have to look forward to this time?
Cheers,
Harry.
Well, I have the Silenced Valved Exhaust, and based on Jonny's description of and other reviews of the Non-Silenced Valved Exhaust, I have always been curious about that and the difference. So I ordered one a while back.

As I mentioned, with the Boxster configuration with the top down and at higher speeds I feel like I could use a little more volume to hear the exhaust the way I like to.

Report coming soon!
The following users liked this post:
998R (06-11-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 08:49 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by incursion
OK so you have the filter. I wonder if the no filter throws a warning on the dash.
For a non-EU car, I don't think so. My Soul ones never did. Nor did the Kline Exhaust+OAP Setup, for me.

I may be wrong, but I think for a non-EU car the only time you need to worry about throwing codes is when you remove the Cats or go with a Freer Flowing Cat with aftermarket headers. Someone else, please keep me honest here, am I correct?
Alpha Ice (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 09:09 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

For a non-EU car, I don't think so. My Soul ones never did. Nor did the Kline Exhaust+OAP Setup, for me.

I may be wrong, but I think for a non-EU car the only time you need to worry about throwing codes is when you remove the Cats or go with a Freer Flowing Cat with aftermarket headers. Someone else, please keep me honest here, am I correct?
I'm looking at this site: https://flat6motorsports.com/collect...32726231908436

It says: "Note - US Vehicles were equipped with the OPF filters from the factory, with no sensor connections. Euro/Asia vehicles have the filters, and sensor connections, which would require tuning if you install a non-filtered OPF replacement pipe."

Last edited by incursion; 06-10-2022 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 11:28 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 285 Posts

I was able to get out and rip around on my new JCR setup, and coming from factory OAPS and the Fabspeed valved rear section.... I did get a nice bump in performance going to the super light exhaust. I have the catted & silenced setup, but it does feel to have a lot more top end pull and screams gloriously!
it's hard to describe, but it is a great feeling how well it pulls through the rpms with urgency. I did post some video clips in another thread, but I won't step on Pete's toes here.
mprog (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 11:30 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

I can confirm with the JCR manifolds I didn't throw a code when I was wired properly, I don't have oaps now, but do have cats...no codes or cel...just glorious noises.
Old 06-10-2022, 11:52 PM
mprog
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
I was able to get out and rip around on my new JCR setup, and coming from factory OAPS and the Fabspeed valved rear section.... I did get a nice bump in performance going to the super light exhaust. I have the catted & silenced setup, but it does feel to have a lot more top end pull and screams gloriously!
it's hard to describe, but it is a great feeling how well it pulls through the rpms with urgency. I did post some video clips in another thread, but I won't step on Pete's toes here.
how’s the 2-3k resonance?
Old 06-11-2022, 12:09 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mprog
how’s the 2-3k resonance?
On flat terrain it isn't too bad above 2,600 rpms, but below that, or on inclines it can be a bit boomy. I usually have the windows cracked as well...but if it's 2,200 rpms and trying to increase my speed, it's much better to downshift. Everything over 2,800 rpms sounds great and I have no problems with windows up, but it is still nice to have them half way or cracked some.
It may not be for everyone, and I find even sometimes at high rpms I get a bit nervous about really pushing it as it does create some serious noise and attention....
mprog (06-11-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 11:33 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

An update here - comparison of my Boxster 25 with the JCR Silenced Rear Exhaust with the Cargraphic High Flow Fiter OAPs, versus the Kline Exhaust and OAPs in @tdlondon 's brand new Spyder. Well, sort of a comparison - to me the more interesting aspect was the difference between a Boxster GTS 4.0 and a Spyder and how they react to exhaust systems.

@tdlondon and I have been able to do a very unique and enviable thing - compare ALL FOUR 718 4.0's together, on the same country roads at similar speeds and RPMs. Last year he had a GT4 and I had a Cayman GTS 4.0. This year, he has the Spyder and I have the Boxster GTS 4.0. All four cars react very differently to exhaust systems. So when we talk here on the Forum with each other about exhausts and describe them, it makes a huge difference which of the 4 718 4.0's you have. The Caymans are much more susceptible to the annoyance of the bassiness/drone in that troubled RPM range, particularly with an aftermarket exhaust plus "wide open" OAPs. For anything BUT the Kline system, which does the best job I have heard at reducing/eliminating that. The Boxster GTS 4.0 and the Spyder are must less so susceptible to the bassiness/drone, with the roof up. It is still there, but it is much less prominent and annoying. (Well, that is the case for the Boxster anyway, I assume so for the Spyder as well.) With the tops down, that notion of the bassiness goes away completely.

My Boxster sounds really good IMO, with the JCR and the CG HFF OAPs. With regards to the windows with the top down, there are three configurations I use, as I have mentioned. Both windows down, passenger window up and driver's window down, and both windows up. Windows down the Boxster and the Spyder sounded similarly great, with subtle nuances of the differences in tone between the two systems. But we agreed both sounded great. Maybe the Spyder was a little louder with both windows down. The big difference was both windows up. With both windows up on the Boxster, the exhaust sound becomes noticeably quieter, and a little muffled sounding. It seems compromised in sound in that setup, which is a shame because at higher speeds having both windows up can be nice from the perspective of reducing wind buffeting in the cabin. (In that "middle" position of the passenger window up and driver's window down, it doesn't exhibit that sound reduction and muffled sound.) With both windows up on the Spyder, it gets a LITTLE quieter but not nearly as much as in the Boxster, and it does not at all get muffled sounding. In that position of both windows up, the Spyder sounded pretty darn glorious, and it was a huge reduction in wind noise such that you could more easily have a conversation in the cabin without having to raise your voice as much, even at higher speeds. I was shocked at how much of a difference it was, with the Spyder sounding a LOT better. (Particularly since I had an order in for a Spyder and cancelled it. ) We attributed that difference primarily to the Spyder having less sound deadening between the engine compartment and the cabin, and thus the engine and exhaust noise coming into the cabin more easily even while the windows are up. Also perhaps that the metal in the rear trunk is up higher with the humps, right at your head/ear level - perhaps some sound is projected through there. So given the big difference in the characteristics of the two cars, it was tough to really do a direct comparison of the two exhaust systems. (Please also note that we both have the AWE Wind Diffusers.)

We didn't get a chance to compare the volumes of the exhausts from the outside. I would suspect that the Kline is a little louder, which to me would make sense as I have a filter in my OAP, and the Kline one is wide open. BTW the valves are permanently open on the Spyder, no valve controller. So no ability to discuss valves open or closed for this comparison - but from last year's Cayman comparison we know that the Kline does a great job quieting down with the valves closed. The JCR doesn't really do that, it sounds very similar with the valves opened or closed.I just leave them open all the time.

(If you recall from the previous reviews here - I liked the Kline system in my Cayman (which is the same exact exhaust system now in the Spyder, the Inconel version), but in the Cayman GTS 4.0 it had a shrill noise for me that bothered a bad left ear that I have, so I went back to the JCR. Interesting that we did not hear that same noise in the Spyder, and @tdlondon didn't recall hearing it in his GT4 with the Kline either.)

I still am okay with the fact that I got the B25 over the Spyder - there are other things I like about the B25 configuration a lot, the Full Bordeaux Red interior, and the ventilated seats being the two things that I couldn't have in a Spyder. And the roof mechanism that I can raise and lower on the fly when it starts to rain. That said, I do have some Spyder sound envy, and also there is no question for me that the Spyder is a little better looking, with the more aggressive front end, and that gorgeous rear roofline!

I plan to do some more experimenting here, trying the slightly louder JCR Non-Silenced exhaust, the Soul Resonated OAPs versus the Cargraphic HFF OAPs. Quite frankly I think I might be also able to "get away with" wide open OAPs with the soft top and bassiness, even with the top up, I have thought of trying that as well. (Also adding the BMC Air Filters.) I have the car going in Monday for a bunch of stuff, Black Roll Hoop Trim, Spyder Wing, BMC Air Filters and the Soul Resonated OAPs. The JCR exhaust has shipped but it is not clear when it is arriving. So I might just do the Air Filters and the OAPs next week and do a later trip for the exhaust.

I may also experiment with removing some sound deadening between the engine compartment and the cabin, to see if I can get the sound coming through better with both windows up - that would be nice at higher speeds to have both windows up and still have it sound amazing like it did in the Spyder. I will talk to the dealer about that.

Thank you, @tdlondon! That was a great time, and your new Spyder is AMAZING!

More coming soon...

Last edited by IL_Pete; 06-18-2022 at 11:45 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
enduro (06-18-2022), Louis Vermorel (06-22-2022), nintendo_usa (06-20-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 11:40 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

The Soul Resonated OAPs sure are pretty, with the JetHot coating!

UncleDude (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 11:42 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

The Soul Resonated OAPs sure are pretty, with the JetHot coating!

Yes, a pair of very good looking pipes 👍🏼
Can you measure the temp using a laser thermometer after a drive ? Thx
IL_Pete (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 11:59 AM
mslam02
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 68 Posts

I may also experiment with removing some sound deadening between the engine compartment and the cabin, to see if I can get the sound coming through better with both windows up - that would be nice at higher speeds to have both windows up and still have it sound amazing like it did in the Spyder. I will talk to the dealer about that.

More coming soon...

You have quite the obsession with the exhaust, which grants the community a lot of valuable data!

A route I was considering (I don't get my spyder delivered until fall, and probably wouldnt do headers right away) was catted headers, stock OAP, and JCR silenced exhaust - with the mindset that the stock OAP will dampen the sound increase from the headers, while still utilizing power gains from headers/rear section, but without a deafening sound. Have you though of trying a combo like this?
IL_Pete (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 12:21 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mslam02
You have quite the obsession with the exhaust, which grants the community a lot of valuable data!

A route I was considering (I don't get my spyder delivered until fall, and probably wouldnt do headers right away) was catted headers, stock OAP, and JCR silenced exhaust - with the mindset that the stock OAP will dampen the sound increase from the headers, while still utilizing power gains from headers/rear section, but without a deafening sound. Have you though of trying a combo like this?
Yes, I do have quite the obsession with the exhaust on the 718's, much to the chagrin of my wallet! LOL. These cars (the 4 718 4.0's) are so perfect to me, except for the stock exhaust. I am on a mission to dial in the perfect exhaust setup for me with the Boxster 25.

I hadn't thought of trying that configuration above, as I have been cautious of doing headers with the volume increase that comes with that, given my bad left ear that I mentioned.

But I think you might be on to something - here is a quote from Jonny at JCR in an email to me just this week, that I don't think he would mind me sharing - "my favourite set up on the Spyder is our Race Manifolds along with the valved race pipe rear and stock OPF’s. Zero drone, great sound and some really quite significant gains!" And I think he meant zero drone in the context of a Spyder/Boxster with the top down, that is what we were discussing.

That recent comment from Jonny does have me thinking about that configuration, either with the stock OAPs or the Cargraphic HFF ones, but first I will try the Non-Silenced JCR exhaust and the Soul Resonated OAPs, and maybe some wide open OAPs as well.

I have also thought about doing an M-Engineering or Softronics tune on the B25, if I do that I would get more gains with Headers.

BTW I should also mention here that I do have an order placed for a GT4, which is due in August (as mentioned in my signature). I switched that order from a Manual to a PDK at the last minute to check out the PDK in the GT4 configuration, which I thought might be cool for a GT4, which I would plan to take to the track. I am second guessing that choice and thinking of possibly not following through on it. But I still also might follow through on it, experience it for a year and sell it next year if I don't love it. If I do follow through with it, I likely will do the Kline on that one. That is where I am ending up with my thinking on exhausts after comparing so many systems with @tdlondon on all 4 718 4.0 models over the past year plus, for me Kline for a Cayman GTS 4.0 or GT4, because it does such a great job at reducing the bassiness at 1800-2400 RPMs which is more prominent on a hardtop Cayman with the windows up, and JCR for a Spyder or Boxster, because I prefer that slightly more ballistic high pitched tone of the JCR from over 5.5-6K RPM to Redline.

Last edited by IL_Pete; 06-18-2022 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:26 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowbee
Yes, a pair of very good looking pipes 👍🏼
Can you measure the temp using a laser thermometer after a drive ? Thx
Sure, will do! I don't have a laser thermometer, but looked them up on Amazon - they aren't too much. That would be another interesting and fun thing to compare on different OAPs.
lowbee (06-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Comparison: Soul OAP+VC versus JCR Silenced Valved Exhaust w/ Stock OAPs