Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Comparison: Soul OAP+VC versus JCR Silenced Valved Exhaust w/ Stock OAPs

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 09:15 PM
Mike0105.
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
I haven't heard Fabspeed valved exhaust in person but looking at their design, it is pretty much just straight out for the open path so I would expect any exhaust with similar setup on the open path would sound as epic at high rpm. Thoughts?
The stock system supposedly does that in the valves open path and most folks don't seem to like the acoustics of it. Having not heard the fabspeed I won't comment on it but I don't find the stock system to be nearly as bad as some people make it out to be for a stock system.
Mike
Old 12-03-2021, 06:11 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 430 Posts

Posting an update here after more time with the JCR Silenced Valved Exhaust combined with the Cargraphics Shielded High Flow Filter OAPs. (Note - also with a Soul VC and the SS Delete.)

This is turning out to be a great combination for me with the Cayman GTS 4.0. I think it is important to clarify which of the 4 models of the 4.0 we are talking about, as I am convinced that all 4 react to exhausts differently. I was surprised how much different the exact same Kline setup was between my Cayman GTS 4.0 and @tdlondon 's GT4.

Let me break it down in a few categories:

Drone - I should clarify here that "drone" is tough for us all to describe and understand from each others' description. Particularly in the case of the 718 4.0's, because I believe that are two different things going on. One is a bassiness in tone that comes from replacing the PSE and/or deleting the OPFs. The other is the thing that I think is more broadly discussed as drone, which is that noise you get when cruising at lower RPMs at fairly constant speeds that can wear on you and get annoying. I have been guilty of putting those both in the category of drone. But let me try to separate them here.

The bassiness in tone is there at lower RPMs and is prominent at 2,000 rpm give or take (range of ~1,800 to 2,300) and again at 3,000 RPM gradually fading away in the higher 3's. That is what is heard with the Valves closed with the JCR plus the CG OAPs. There is no droning sound while cruising at lower RPMs, it is just the extra bassiness. That extra bassiness is a thing the 781 4.0's have. Probably most noticeable in the hardtops, the Caymans, due to some odd thing with the engine and exhaust design, the fact that the engine is right behind the seats and under the parcel shelf, and the acoustics of the very small cabin. I have experienced it first hand in a Cayman GTS 4.0 and a GT4, but not driven in a Boxster GTS 4.0 or a Spyder. (I do have a Spyder on order, I am suspecting and hoping it is less present in that.)

Interestingly enough the Kline Exhaust COMPLETELY gets rid of the 2K RPM bassiness, and reduces the 3K RPM bassiness, but the 3K one is still there a little bit. It rocks in that regard! As previously reported, for me in my Cayman 4.0, there was a higher pitched resonance at and above 5,100 RPM that bothered my bad ear, which made the Kline a nonstarter for me. @tdlondon installed the same Kline Inconel exhaust and OAPs on his GT4, and it sounded EPIC, even better than on my GTS 4.0, and also the resonance at/above 5,100 didn't seem as noticeable.

With the valves open all the time with the VC, where you have that bassiness at 2K RPM and again at 3K RPM, you get drone added to the bassiness, if you are cruising at those RPMs you will get a steady drone that wears on you. When I am casually driving around running errands, I turn it to PSE mode so I don't get that, which for that sort driving is most encountered with 90 degree left and right hand turns in 2nd gear. I don't drive on the highway much, I am pretty binary with maybe 20% driving running errands and 80% country road spirited driving. (To the tune of 15K+ miles in 9 months!) But note that I still get the bassiness, without the drone.

With the JCR Exhaust plus wide open OPF Delete OAPs (Soul), the bassiness (and associated drone with Valves open) was too much for me. With the CG High Flow filter, it was a good compromise. More bassiness than just the JCR Exhaust with Stock OAPs, but only slightly. But more volume and more HP and Torque (by the butt dyno), more on that next.

Increases in Power/Torque - This is where it gets interesting, at least for me. With stock Exhaust and just the Soul OAPs and VC, the sound was greatly improved, but I couldn't really tell if there was an improvement in power/torque. With just the JCR exhaust and stock OAP, I definitely could. What I felt the most was that it was much quicker off the line, and that it was much easier to break the tires loose. If you look at the Dyno chart Jonny at JCR posted, you definitely see that, the ramp in torque is shifted to the left a decent amount starting from a stop.

But when you take the JCR exhaust and add an aftermarket OAP, there is a very significant increase in pull above 5,000/5,500 RPM. Day and night. Without it, you wish the car had more power there, you floor it and you aren't 100% happy with what you get. With it, good lord, hang on for dear life! And you don't wish it had more. That is my experience anyway. It is about the same between the JCR plus aftermarket OAPs and the Kline with the Kline OPF Delete OAPs. When I went from the JCR with Stock OAPs to JCR with Soul OAPs, it was amazing re power. But the bassiness and drone was too much, so I went back to Stock OAPs. Immediately I noticed that I had lost that mad pull above 5K RPMs, and once I had experienced that, there was no way I could do without it. That's when I went to the Kline, and I got that mad pull back. But then I had that issue with the 5,100+ RPM hurting my bad ear, so I couldn't stick with that. From there I went back to the JCR exhaust, this time with the CG High Flow Filter OAPs. Goldilocks achieved, with a manageable slight increase in the bassiness and drone, I got increased volume AND the mad pull over 5K RPMs back!

Sound - The JCR has my favorite sound of the bunch. The Soul OAP with stock PSE was very good, but less refined, not quite what I was looking for. Didn't really sound like a German Sportscar, more like American Muscle. And it was a little on the loud side with Valves Open all the time. The Kline was quite good. The JCR is a little more "Motorsport" than the Kline, for my ears. Not like a modern GT3, which is very unique and really impossible to replicate on this platform IMO (well, maybe with a full on Race Exhaust with Headers and delete Cats and OPFs), but more like a classic 911 with a good exhaust. With just the JCR Slinced exhaust, it was a little on the quiet side. With the JCR exhaust and CG OAPs, the volume is about perfect for my tastes. Very present and can be heard over the intake noises (particularly with SS delete), but not obnoxious. One thing that I wonder is how the Non-Silenced JCR Valved Exhaust would compare with this setup to my Silenced one. I am not sure I am up for buying another JCR exhaust just to try that, but maybe I would.

At this point I think I will wait until I get my Spyder in the Spring/Early Summer, put this setup on it and see how it reacts differently (1) top up with perhaps less bassiness with a softtop versus a hardtop, and (2) volume with top down, and perhaps try some new things from there optimizing for the new platform and scenario.

Hope that helps describe more after some time on this setup.

The following 8 users liked this post by IL_Pete:
964C4 (05-11-2022), flynlo (12-04-2021), GarrettGTS (12-04-2021), IRM (12-04-2021), jazwhite (12-03-2021), kwikit356 (12-03-2021), TTFLT6 (12-03-2021), UncleDude (12-03-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-03-2021, 08:48 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

@IL_Pete As you know I have the JCR Silenced Race Pipe and Akra OAP's and I agree with the power increase when adding the OAP as well as the sound.

Increases in Power/TorqueBut when you take the JCR exhaust and add an aftermarket OAP, there is a very significant increase in pull above 5,000/5,500 RPM. Day and night... and once I had experienced that, there was no way I could do without it.
​​​​​​​Sound - The JCR has my favorite sound of the bunch., The JCR is a little more "Motorsport"
And hopefully soon a buddy with an incoming GT4 will be doing a JCR non-silenced Race Pipe with Akra OAP's he already has both exhaust pieces just waiting for the car to be delivered, it should be here this month.

The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
IL_Pete (12-04-2021), TTFLT6 (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 10:31 PM
SpydrGuy
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 43 Posts

Great review IL_Pete. I believe you’re correct that the GTS twins, GT4, and Spyder all have different sound and resonance characteristics that make it difficult to directly compare exhausts across platforms. I just installed the M-Tuner Stage 2 Calibration Suite (aka tune) on my Spyder with the JCR silenced exhaust (OAPs and headers are stock). The M-Tuner software keeps the valves open with PSE ON. Here are my thoughts on these modifications.

The M-Tuner software is great. The guys at M Engineering are easy to work with and very responsive. The hardware arrived less than 48 hours after I placed my order, and I got the calibration files a few hours after I sent them my vehicle data. Flashing the ECU takes less than 5 minutes and couldn’t be easier. According to the dyno the exhaust and flash together add about 25 HP. Assuming the exhaust adds about 10 HP, the flash would account for the remaining 15 HP. I’m skeptical anyone’s butt dyno can detect 15 HP in a 400+ HP car, but the Spyder definitely feels more lively after the flash, especially above 5K RPM, and the throttle response is more immediate. Certainly not a game changer and there is no “Wow” moment, but a nice addition nonetheless. The torque increase across the RPM range and new valve functionality with PSE ON is worth it IMO for those wanting the last 10% from their Porsche.

All comparisons below are with the top up; I’m afraid the temperatures here in the middle of the US will not be high enough for top down driving until spring. This is a worse case since lowering the top in the Spyder decreases exhaust noise and resonance. As stated earlier, the headers, OAPs, and SS are stock.

VALVES CLOSED. Very pleasant for long distant driving while still providing a true sports car sound. Not often mentioned is the fact the JCR silenced exhaust is never really quiet, even with the valves closed. It is quite a bit louder than the OEM exhaust with valves closed and has a really pleasant tone. As IL_Pete mentioned the drone range of the JCR exhaust is 1800-2400 RPM. With valves closed there is no drone with the JCR exhaust, although it gets a little loud (what IL_Pete calls bassiness) in this range going up a hill or accelerating hard in 6th gear. At cruising speeds the exhaust is almost silent because of the engine noise.

VALVES OPEN. It sounds absolutely intoxicating. It’s not at all like my long-gone 981 or a GT3, but the JCR exhaust sings a tune all of its own and really transforms the car. Keeping the valves open all the time with PSE ON just widens the experience. The volume builds with RPMs, but really comes alive above 5K RPM with the classic flat six howl. It’s loud enough to be noticed, but not so loud as to draw unwanted attention. Unlike IL_Pete I have no bassiness whatsoever at 3K RPM. In fact, this is where it really starts to sound good. There is a bit of drone in the 1800-2400 region under load (going up hill or accelerating in 5th or 6th gear), but it’s not bad and passes quickly. There is no drone at cruise speeds with the valves open and the exhaust sound is just audible with a very pleasant burble that is absent with the valves closed.

I’m really happy with the combination JCR exhaust and M Engineering software flash. It finally sounds the way it should have from the factory and is scary quick. I have contemplated adding silenced OAPs, but I’m afraid it would make the drone region much worse. Right now my everyday default is PSE ON with valves open and I don’t want to ruin that. I can drive for hours and the engine and exhaust sounds never get old. We all have different tolerances on drone and volume, and although I normally lean toward loud, I think the way it is now suites the Spyder well. It will be interesting to see if IL_Pete changes his mind when he gets his Spyder. I’m looking forward to his report.
The following 3 users liked this post by SpydrGuy:
Alpha Ice (12-04-2021), IL_Pete (12-04-2021), UncleDude (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 11:23 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SpydrGuy
Great review IL_Pete. I believe you’re correct that the GTS twins, GT4, and Spyder all have different sound and resonance characteristics that make it difficult to directly compare exhausts across platforms. I just installed the M-Tuner Stage 2 Calibration Suite (aka tune) on my Spyder with the JCR silenced exhaust (OAPs and headers are stock). The M-Tuner software keeps the valves open with PSE ON. Here are my thoughts on these modifications.

The M-Tuner software is great. The guys at M Engineering are easy to work with and very responsive. The hardware arrived less than 48 hours after I placed my order, and I got the calibration files a few hours after I sent them my vehicle data. Flashing the ECU takes less than 5 minutes and couldn’t be easier. According to the dyno the exhaust and flash together add about 25 HP. Assuming the exhaust adds about 10 HP, the flash would account for the remaining 15 HP. I’m skeptical anyone’s butt dyno can detect 15 HP in a 400+ HP car, but the Spyder definitely feels more lively after the flash, especially above 5K RPM, and the throttle response is more immediate. Certainly not a game changer and there is no “Wow” moment, but a nice addition nonetheless. The torque increase across the RPM range and new valve functionality with PSE ON is worth it IMO for those wanting the last 10% from their Porsche.

All comparisons below are with the top up; I’m afraid the temperatures here in the middle of the US will not be high enough for top down driving until spring. This is a worse case since lowering the top in the Spyder decreases exhaust noise and resonance. As stated earlier, the headers, OAPs, and SS are stock.

VALVES CLOSED. Very pleasant for long distant driving while still providing a true sports car sound. Not often mentioned is the fact the JCR silenced exhaust is never really quiet, even with the valves closed. It is quite a bit louder than the OEM exhaust with valves closed and has a really pleasant tone. As IL_Pete mentioned the drone range of the JCR exhaust is 1800-2400 RPM. With valves closed there is no drone with the JCR exhaust, although it gets a little loud (what IL_Pete calls bassiness) in this range going up a hill or accelerating hard in 6th gear. At cruising speeds the exhaust is almost silent because of the engine noise.

VALVES OPEN. It sounds absolutely intoxicating. It’s not at all like my long-gone 981 or a GT3, but the JCR exhaust sings a tune all of its own and really transforms the car. Keeping the valves open all the time with PSE ON just widens the experience. The volume builds with RPMs, but really comes alive above 5K RPM with the classic flat six howl. It’s loud enough to be noticed, but not so loud as to draw unwanted attention. Unlike IL_Pete I have no bassiness whatsoever at 3K RPM. In fact, this is where it really starts to sound good. There is a bit of drone in the 1800-2400 region under load (going up hill or accelerating in 5th or 6th gear), but it’s not bad and passes quickly. There is no drone at cruise speeds with the valves open and the exhaust sound is just audible with a very pleasant burble that is absent with the valves closed.

I’m really happy with the combination JCR exhaust and M Engineering software flash. It finally sounds the way it should have from the factory and is scary quick. I have contemplated adding silenced OAPs, but I’m afraid it would make the drone region much worse. Right now my everyday default is PSE ON with valves open and I don’t want to ruin that. I can drive for hours and the engine and exhaust sounds never get old. We all have different tolerances on drone and volume, and although I normally lean toward loud, I think the way it is now suites the Spyder well. It will be interesting to see if IL_Pete changes his mind when he gets his Spyder. I’m looking forward to his report.
Since you have the M-tune I can highly recommend having them add the quiet cold start up.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:53 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,456 Likes on 2,360 Posts

I actually like the LOUD start, and my new Softronic tune with Soul Street Headers and Race exhaust make it sound REAL good, to me.
The following users liked this post:
TTFLT6 (12-04-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 05:48 AM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I actually like the LOUD start, and my new Softronic tune with Soul Street Headers and Race exhaust make it sound REAL good, to me.
That's what makes the world great, we all have different tastes.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:34 AM
mp2day
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
Lastly on JCR there are burbles in Sport mode, but much less than with the Soul OAPs,
I am pretty sure that the JCR Silenced Valved Exhaust will be the right volume level for me. But I can’t help but wonder, what would the combination of the JCR Exhaust *AND* the Soul OAPs sound like? Probably epic, but also probably too loud for me. Still, I am going to try it.

Hope that is helpful.
VERY helpful - great review, thanks! (And you just cost me a lot of $ &#129315

can’t wait to hear your review of the JCR with OPF delete OAPs 😁
IL_Pete (12-04-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 10:37 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
@IL_Pete As you know I have the JCR Silenced Race Pipe and Akra OAP's and I agree with the power increase when adding the OAP as well as the sound.

And hopefully soon a buddy with an incoming GT4 will be doing a JCR non-silenced Race Pipe with Akra OAP's he already has both exhaust pieces just waiting for the car to be delivered, it should be here this month.
Fantastic! That will be great to get a real life side by side comparison between the Silenced and Non-Silenced JCR, with the same OAPs!

Excellent report, thank you! Interesting to hear with regards to a Spyder, and with the addition of a tune. I might consider a tune once I get the Spyder and get some miles on it...
Old 12-04-2021, 10:42 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

Great to hear from you Pete! I would be happy to meet up around your area and do some driving/testing when I receive my JCR silenced rear. It will be interesting to compare the CG OAPS vs stock, and then add in the manifolds. Thanks as always for your feedback. I told myself I should wait on doing the OAPs so I can gradually get used to the sounds. I'm either losing some hearing, or the manifolds with valves locked open are settling in and becoming enjoyable. I wish it wasn't so aggressive at cold start, but so far no neighbors have complained (to my face) yet
IL_Pete (12-04-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 11:17 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
Great to hear from you Pete! I would be happy to meet up around your area and do some driving/testing when I receive my JCR silenced rear. It will be interesting to compare the CG OAPS vs stock, and then add in the manifolds. Thanks as always for your feedback. I told myself I should wait on doing the OAPs so I can gradually get used to the sounds. I'm either losing some hearing, or the manifolds with valves locked open are settling in and becoming enjoyable. I wish it wasn't so aggressive at cold start, but so far no neighbors have complained (to my face) yet
Yes, let's get together to compare!

I have Winter Tires on now (Michelin Alpin PA4's), so I am ready for continuing to drive in our cold temps in the Midwest US Winter.

I don't plan to drive it in the Snow, I have an M3 Manual coming for the Winter Car (at the Port in Baltimore, heading to the Dealer soon!). But I felt it necessary to get some Winter Tires just for the cold temperatures, just to give me more flexibility.
Alpha Ice (12-04-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 11:32 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

Yes, let's get together to compare!

I have Winter Tires on now (Michelin Alpin PA4's), so I am ready for continuing to drive in our cold temps in the Midwest US Winter.

I don't plan to drive it in the Snow, I have an M3 Manual coming for the Winter Car (at the Port in Baltimore, heading to the Dealer soon!). But I felt it necessary to get some Winter Tires just for the cold temperatures, just to give me more flexibility.
I also have Alpin PA4's, but an A4 with Hakka R2's will be my daily still and conquerer of snow mounds. I do plan like you, to take the Cayman out on nice days when the roads are mostly clear and salt free. I do want to drive it in the white stuff just to be able to say I did haha.
IL_Pete (12-04-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 02:27 PM
SpydrGuy
Instructor

Fantastic! That will be great to get a real life side by side comparison between the Silenced and Non-Silenced JCR, with the same OAPs!

Excellent report, thank you! Interesting to hear with regards to a Spyder, and with the addition of a tune. I might consider a tune once I get the Spyder and get some miles on it...
The M Engineering software license is tied to the vehicle and is not transferable, so definitely wait for your Spyder.
IL_Pete (12-05-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 02:28 PM
SpydrGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by jwr9152
Since you have the M-tune I can highly recommend having them add the quiet cold start up.
I don't have any close neighbors to annoy and like the cold start up. That bark at start up gets the blood pumping.
The following 3 users liked this post by SpydrGuy:
flynlo (12-05-2021), jwr9152 (12-05-2021), TTFLT6 (12-04-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 12:44 AM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

I don't have any close neighbors to annoy and like the cold start up. That bark at start up gets the blood pumping.
It still barks at start, but then idles normal instead of at higher revs, but I get it. I've got headers, 200 cel cats and no PF, so my car is very loud at start up.

Quick Reply: Comparison: Soul OAP+VC versus JCR Silenced Valved Exhaust w/ Stock OAPs