Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Brake-Pads GT4

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 01:09 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Question Brake-Pads GT4

Guys,

I'm asking for the Assistance/Help now while the GT4 is still at Porsche of Nashville.

So this doesn't get lost in all the text below.
I'm reaching out for Help from either a Brake Company/Shop/Vendor or Rennlist knowledgeable members.
All I want are Replacement Brake-Pads for the Street that produce Less-Brake-Dust than the Stock-Pads.
I need Specific information guys that has ZERO guessing in regards to them being an Exact-Match, Size-Wise to the Stock-Brake-Pads.

Here is what I just found out regarding the Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads I purchased from The Tire Rack.
(Yes, I actually talked to the Tire Rack and was assured the Hawk-Pads were correct for the 2021 Porsche GT4)
The Senior Tech said they are not the Right-Size and Do-Not match the Stock Pads for size.
They are actually going past the center of the brake disc as seen in the multiple pictures below.
And that being the case they are in his opinion getting too close to the center hub for safety.
The tech said he could install the Hawk-Pads but his Advice was if it was his GT4 he wouldn't use them.
That Senior Tech has been in the business for years and years and years so lots & Lots of experience.

I'm sharing this on a new Thread so that all Rennlist members have this information.
And believe me I have already used GOOGLE as well as the Search Feature on Rennlist and come away Empty-Handed.

If anyone can get me to a Company that will 100% verify their brake pads are an exact match size-wise to the stock-brake-pads and produce less-brake-dust.

All Assistance & Help is greatly appreciated as my 2021 GT4 has arrived at Porsche of Nashville last Friday, August 6th 2021.
I'll post pictures on my Dedicated Thread of that.

Thanks everyone for your help,
Terry Honaker
USA

The following users liked this post:
KNSBrakes (08-11-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 01:31 PM
arudeone
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 14 Posts

Contact KNS Brakes:
KNS Brakes
You can email or call them and they will work with you and answer all your questions. Good folk.

Ferodo 2500 might be a good choice...
tigerhonaker (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 01:41 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Talk to Clark at Apex Performance.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr.Bill:
Alan C. (08-10-2021), tigerhonaker (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 02:25 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

Wow those are out to lunch. That’d make a big lip and would potentially chunk off taking a bunch of the rest of the pad with it someday.

Carbotech 1521’s might be a good option for you too for another alternative. They don’t list gt4 pads but they have gt3 which are interchangeable from Porsche. Carbotech also used to say if they don’t have any brake pads or the right compound for your car let them know and they’ll figure it out with you (even if you need to mail them a brake pad for them to use as a template). they used to and probably still have pretty good customer service.

I’ve always been impressed with carbotech pads for how little dust their race pads produce. I haven’t used 1521s because it’s a street pad, but I thought the entry level race pads were already a major reduction in brake dust over the typical OE german car brake pad dust, and their pad dust was easier to clean than other race pads I’ve used (didn’t stick). Corvette guys say the 80% reduction in dust claim is about right.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...much-dust.html
Old 08-10-2021, 02:49 PM
Spyderman2
Instructor

Received 198 Likes on 70 Posts

Why couldn't you just machine or grind off the small overhang and call them good?
Rupert16 (07-11-2022)
Old 08-10-2021, 03:59 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyderman2
Why couldn't you just machine or grind off the small overhang and call them good?
Honestly I didn't go there and I didn't actually speak to the Senior Tech that's done the work on my GT4.
All my information is from my SA Matt Giorgio.
He talked with that Tech in-depth on the Hawk-Pads.

I'm giving my opinion based on me working for new car dealerships.
Most dealers especially ones like Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and Audi the Techs are not going to Modify anything to get it to work.
They just don't do that sort of thing.
Their thinking is and I agree it either is the right part or it isn't.
And they are not going to modify it and then be held responsible for it if anything negative happens.

Terry
Old 08-10-2021, 04:00 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 667 Posts

+1 for call Clark at Apex Performance.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:19 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyderman2
You could but then you're putting all that material airborne all at once. I'm not sure what's in a hawk ceramic pad for binding agents but I know a lot of pads use a significant amount of formaldehyde as a bonding agent, plus probably other stuff that is also not good to breath.

I'm all for farmer fixes for a lot of things, but I know I'd just order new pads myself.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:04 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Zhao
You could but then you're putting all that material airborne all at once. I'm not sure what's in a hawk ceramic pad for binding agents but I know a lot of pads use a significant amount of formaldehyde as a bonding agent, plus probably other stuff that is also not good to breath.

I'm all for farmer fixes for a lot of things, but I know I'd just order new pads myself.
Totally agree ^^^

Terry
Old 08-10-2021, 08:18 PM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 84 Posts

Hi All

FYI it often is hard to catalog brakes on newer cars esp. brands like Porsche where there are many different models and the brakes can vary quite a bit or sometimes barely at all and it's not like Porsche is volunteering that information.

This case is fairly tricky as there are 2 'shapes' that differ by only 3 mm and the backing plates are even closer/the same/FIT - so the track guys almost never know/don't care.

As a note - the standards for brakes are the FMSI D# - and most catalogs indicate that the GT4 uses a D1741 - 65mm pad depth as shown below. This pad is also used on several 911 models

Hawk

This is Hawk HB905 - FMSI D1741. 65mm depth

Pagid 4908 - 65 mm Depth dim listed (what the pad sweeps on the disc)

The 718 GT4 pad is very close but slightly different and is not yet cataloged very well.

The correct Hawk and Pagid diagrams are below - Hawk even lists an FMSi D1773 but I cannot 'find' or correlate that FMSI # yet. You can see the backing plate is the same - but the material is cut short by a few mm on that inner radius. The depth is 62 mm vs 65 mm
None the less - Hawk made both - so the correct one is available.
Pagid does as well but in race pads only so not for the OP.

We would have likely made the same error - so thank you for the post and call. We now have to figure out which cars get the D1741 - and which get the D1773 (which I think is incorrect)

Ken

The following 5 users liked this post by KNSBrakes:
Alan_S (08-21-2021), Gabriel@NutCracker (12-13-2022), slilley (08-11-2021), StormRune (08-10-2021), tigerhonaker (08-12-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 09:28 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 754 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
Wow those are out to lunch. That’d make a big lip and would potentially chunk off taking a bunch of the rest of the pad with it someday.

Even if that's true, the pad would still functionally work fine wouldn't it? Something like that might be problematic if it were the PCCB rotors, i guess. It might damage the carbon rotor edge. But on the steel rotors, would it really be any problem?

edit - Not that I'm defending Hawk. I don't care for the feel of their pads based on my prior experience with them... I just don't understand why the extra material is a problem.

Last edited by 0-Day; 08-10-2021 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:32 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by 0-Day
Even if that's true, the pad would still functionally work fine wouldn't it? Something like that might be problematic if it were the PCCB rotors, i guess. It might damage the carbon rotor edge. But on the steel rotors, would it really be any problem?

edit - Not that I'm defending Hawk. I don't care for the feel of their pads based on my prior experience with them... I just don't understand why the extra material is a problem.
It'd stop just fine forever imo and I dont think that material would ever go deep enough to make contact with anything else while attached to the backing plate. You often get the reverse happening with rotors where the pad doesn't fully cover the outer edge of the rotor and wears a very sharp thin lip into the rotor.

With a brake pad the material can chunk off though, so the lip will wear down and potentially break off at some point taking more material than just the lip with it. That would be annoying, but the car would still stop fine. However, that break off could also go god knows where, and may jam in-between the caliper and pad, or the pad and the rotor, or some other random spot, which could damage a piston seal or grove the rotor. No danger of total brake failure, as the exposed rubberish piston seals aren't actually necessary to form a seal, but someday someone is going to notice that and wonder what horrors you subjected the car to to cause that, or you get to replace a caliper/rotor.
Rupert16 (12-13-2022)
Old 08-11-2021, 11:11 AM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by arudeone
Contact KNS Brakes:
KNS Brakes
You can email or call them and they will work with you and answer all your questions. Good folk.

Ferodo 2500 might be a good choice...
Thank you for the referral. It helped us look at/correct a listing.
arudeone (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 11:12 AM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 309 Posts

I ran GLOC R6's on the front of my 981 GT4 that were just like that with no issues. What little lip was on the hub edge of the rotor wore into the pad and it was fine. YMMV.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:32 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,065 Likes on 1,760 Posts

I reached out to my friend who has a 2021 GT4 using Carbotech. I'll post back what part number he installed once I find out.

Quick Reply: Brake-Pads GT4