Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Brake-Pads GT4

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 12:31 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

You mean you weren’t worrying about the dust?
Old 11-16-2021, 08:18 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Billt134
I have read allot of the forums on pads, I have now what I think is best for me , BGB Motorsports suggested RE10 for my 2016 GT4 with Girodisc .

Like them better than Ferodo or Padgid Yellow, they might be on $$ side but the consistent performance and bite these pads have are really impressive.

Just did OctoberFast at Daytona and coming into turn 1 and the bus stop I had a lot of confidence in the car thru the braking zone.
Hey @Billt134 , what is your experience with the Girodisc rotors? Was thinking about their solution to use on the PCCB hardware and spare the PCCB rotors of track use. Do you recommend that?
Old 11-16-2021, 09:34 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 391 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by tdlondon
Hey @Billt134 , what is your experience with the Girodisc rotors? Was thinking about their solution to use on the PCCB hardware and spare the PCCB rotors of track use. Do you recommend that?
From personal use on one of my customers GT4’s I’ve installed and driven on track, they work great. Installation is easy and we simply use the “steel” brake pads. Braking performance is perfect and we see no real difference in lap times after switching. The only downside we see is more dust.

We have learned a ton about this topic recently and it is fascinating, you will notice the carbon ceramic pad has a larger “sweep” area because the ceramic pad/rotors aren’t as efficient as steel. When you install the steel conversion rotors from Girodisc that we stock and sell you will notice the “sweep” area is smaller then that of your CC rotors. The reason for this is to save weight, and to retain the same brake balance as your CC setup. Also the “sweep” area on the iron conversions will match that of the iron brake pads. It takes a minute to wrap your head around it but it works great with no loss in braking performance.

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 11-16-2021, 11:55 PM
edub
Pro

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by RennPart
From personal use on one of my customers GT4’s I’ve installed and driven on track, they work great. Installation is easy and we simply use the “steel” brake pads. Braking performance is perfect and we see no real difference in lap times after switching. The only downside we see is more dust.

We have learned a ton about this topic recently and it is fascinating, you will notice the carbon ceramic pad has a larger “sweep” area because the ceramic pad/rotors aren’t as efficient as steel. When you install the steel conversion rotors from Girodisc that we stock and sell you will notice the “sweep” area is smaller then that of your CC rotors. The reason for this is to save weight, and to retain the same brake balance as your CC setup. Also the “sweep” area on the iron conversions will match that of the iron brake pads. It takes a minute to wrap your head around it but it works great with no loss in braking performance.
What does sweep mean in this case? That the pad is further from the center or the rotor than in a steel rotor? Or that the pad on the ceramic is larger?
Old 11-17-2021, 11:58 AM
Billt134
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello,

Yes I am very happy with my Girodisc rotors , I track my car on average at least once a month. So it is very cost effective for one.
Easy install with PCCB Hardware , replacement rings , I am not a pro driver by any means so I didn't see a big difference in lap times only brake sequel !
I packed the PCCB away and if I ever sell the car I'll throw them back on.

I was at Sebring this past weekend and we had Jay O'Connell ( used to be Technical Director Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing ) as a speaker , very informative on car set up braking etc... he told us OEM PCCB are really not made for track like the article below. Most of my friends with GT4 PCCB have all went to steel.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/24/...r-race-tracks/
Old 11-17-2021, 03:11 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 324 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by edub
What does sweep mean in this case? That the pad is further from the center or the rotor than in a steel rotor? Or that the pad on the ceramic is larger?
In this case, "sweep" refers to the "pad depth" of the pad as shown below. Carbon Ceramics have a larger swept area (i.e. taller disc face/friction ring) to accommodate taller pads. The width or length is the same. As mentioned, this is because Carbon Ceramics tend to put more heat into the pads as they do not absorb or dissipate heat as well as steel rotors. Thus, to prevent the CC pads from overheating, they use a larger pad depth that has more thermal mass. Making the pad taller vs wider was a better option for several reasons but cost was likely the main driver as they were able to use the same castings for both calipers.

GT3/GT4 Front Rotor Sizes:
PCCB - 410x74mm (Uses #1)
Steel - 380x62mm (Uses #2)
PCCB to Steel conversion - 410x62mm (Uses #2)

#1 -Carbon Ceramic Pad Shape (Yellow Caliper)

#2 - Steel Pad Shape (Red Caliper)

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
The following 2 users liked this post by Hinz Motorsport:
edub (11-18-2021), jimdillard (03-18-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 12:15 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 130 Posts

I didn't want to start a new thread, so hopefully someone here can answer my question. I recently took delivery of my 2022 718 GT4 and noticed that the rear pads have very little surface area in contact with the rotor. See picture below. Does this look normal? I only ask, because I've been a bit underwhelmed in the braking performance, and am researching my options. Does the pad surface area vary with aftermarket pad options?

Old 06-21-2022, 12:23 PM
edub
Pro

Originally Posted by chriswd62
I didn't want to start a new thread, so hopefully someone here can answer my question. I recently took delivery of my 2022 718 GT4 and noticed that the rear pads have very little surface area in contact with the rotor. See picture below. Does this look normal? I only ask, because I've been a bit underwhelmed in the braking performance, and am researching my options. Does the pad surface area vary with aftermarket pad options?

Hey yeah, I actually had this worse on delivery. Something from the pad was stuck on the rotor and causing a larger gap between the pad and the rotor.

The good news is, the braking probably sucks because you haven't bedded the pads in. And yes, the braking on the street kinda isn't great until the brakes are warm.

Google how to bed in pads, but it is basically 5 or 6, 80 to 10mph stops back to back, then letting them cool. You'll notice a huge change in how the brake pedal feels during that procedure, and after the pads cool completely, better performance on the street.

If you haven't used after market pads in the past I'd advise just doing the bed in procedure and experiment how the brakes function hot, warm, and cold first. After market pads just perform in a different envelope of temperature- it may not solve your problem.

Last edited by edub; 06-21-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:28 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,065 Likes on 1,760 Posts

I'll chime in and add my .02 on the brake bedding in process. On my other car, I swapped to a low dust ceramic pad. I bedded them in per PowerStop's instructions and the braking was ok, but just ok. PowerStop suggested repeating the process, which helped some. However, after some miles, they dramatically improved. Now they feel almost as good as OEM, which is fantastic on the GT350.

So definitely don't skimp on that process.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:26 AM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chriswd62

Update: I was autocrossing yesterday with another GT4 owner (2020 model year) and confirmed that the rear pad surface area that actually contacts the rotor is completely different on our cars. His rear pads are more of a traditional shape and have about double the contact area on the rear rotors than my pads. I'm wondering if they did this to shift the brake bias on the 2022 GT4s, similar to what they did on the GT4 RS. Can anyone else confirm what I'm seeing here?
Old 06-27-2022, 12:02 PM
edub
Pro

Can you provide more photos of what your seeing of the rear brake rotor swept area? Braking force is calculated not on the pad size, but the area of pad under the pistons in the caliper, so it would seem unlikely that a new rear piston was designed for a change you could make in the brake master cylinder, or whatever fancy braking system the Porsche has (abs unit maybe controls balance)
Old 06-27-2022, 12:22 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Can you provide more photos of what your seeing of the rear brake rotor swept area? Braking force is calculated not on the pad size, but the area of pad under the pistons in the caliper, so it would seem unlikely that a new rear piston was designed for a change you could make in the brake master cylinder, or whatever fancy braking system the Porsche has (abs unit maybe controls balance)
Here are a couple of additional pictures. As you can see, the pad surface that is in contact with the rotor is less than 1/2 of the total area of the actual pad size. There seems to be two tiers of pad material. The initial tier is much smaller that the base of the brake pads. I've never seen a pad design like this (with such extreme chamfers).

It appears to be a more exaggerated version of this general design.

Last edited by chriswd62; 06-27-2022 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-28-2022, 04:32 AM
edub
Pro

I can't guess why that pad is designed so, but google mentions chamfer is for specific purposes ranging from noise to wear. FWIW, the pad is similar/same on a '21 as yours looks. It could be a really simple way visually check for pad wear. 'just replace 'em when there is no chamfer remaining'.

Your rear brakes are operating as designed however. The entire diameter of the rotor is clearly being swept by the pad, and the pad wear looks even. Unless the pistons in the brake caliper are of a different diameter, or the pressure sent to the rear is different between years (doubtful), there is nothing to be concerned about here.

Did you try bedding your pads in yet?
Old 06-28-2022, 08:35 AM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

I can't guess why that pad is designed so, but google mentions chamfer is for specific purposes ranging from noise to wear. FWIW, the pad is similar/same on a '21 as yours looks. It could be a really simple way visually check for pad wear. 'just replace 'em when there is no chamfer remaining'.

Your rear brakes are operating as designed however. The entire diameter of the rotor is clearly being swept by the pad, and the pad wear looks even. Unless the pistons in the brake caliper are of a different diameter, or the pressure sent to the rear is different between years (doubtful), there is nothing to be concerned about here.

Did you try bedding your pads in yet?

Okay. Thank you for confirming the 2021's have the same pad design. That makes me feel better. I did some more brake bedding and another autocross, and the brakes are starting to feel much better. I wouldn't say they are 100%, as there are still areas of the front rotors that have the crosshatch pattern visible, so maybe one good track day will get them to fully bed in.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:24 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,065 Likes on 1,760 Posts

What are the aftermarket solutions for converting to carbon ceramic brakes? I'd like low/no dust, and still be able to use them on the track once a year. Is this possible without spending $30k?

Quick Reply: Brake-Pads GT4