Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Brake-Pads GT4

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 09:14 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Cool. I'm also on the schnelle schwaben on the 25th and probably will do a few laps on Sun 24 if it's not too hectic out on track. Happy to chat and maybe go for a lap
ill be in the BMW 218 :-)

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
Peter, thanks a ton for all of your feedback. What compounds have you all tried with the ST rotors?
Only Pagid RSL1, I suspected RE10 to be better for the rotor as they seem better on steel rotors but never got to try it, maybe next year..
Old 07-14-2022, 04:54 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Only Pagid RSL1, I suspected RE10 to be better for the rotor as they seem better on steel rotors but never got to try it, maybe next year..
Ok interesting, did you happen to mean the RSC1 by chance as it was specifically designed for the carbon discs? Not that you can't use other compounds with these but the RSL1 doesn't mess around and is not the easiest on rotors if that's the case. RE10 would most likely be better. I have a customer that will be testing out the PFC 331/332 compound with the ST rotors, should have more feedback on that in a month or two. Early testing conducted at PFC suggested that the 331/332 compound may be a great fit for these. I know of at least 1 very quick Pike's Peak car from this year's running with that same setup. If you are interested in testing yourself, I could probably get you a set at a steep discount in exchange for testing feedback.

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
Old 07-14-2022, 07:48 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,081 Likes on 473 Posts

My local workshop has quoted RSL1 pads with Surface Transforms.

We use RS29's on the GT2 RS rally car for what it's worth to know.
The following users liked this post:
TRAKCAR (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 08:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
Ok interesting, did you happen to mean the RSC1 by chance as it was specifically designed for the carbon discs? Not that you can't use other compounds with these but the RSL1 doesn't mess around and is not the easiest on rotors if that's the case. RE10 would most likely be better. I have a customer that will be testing out the PFC 331/332 compound with the ST rotors, should have more feedback on that in a month or two. Early testing conducted at PFC suggested that the 331/332 compound may be a great fit for these. I know of at least 1 very quick Pike's Peak car from this year's running with that same setup. If you are interested in testing yourself, I could probably get you a set at a steep discount in exchange for testing feedback.
RSL1 confirmed, I was Sebring test driver customer for ST with Autoquest in Florida 2017 on?

another note, when I tried RSL1 with steel rotors they lasted much less then on ST rotors, more heat.. I’m not a Pagid anything fan, but that’s what we wanted tested.

Before ST I liked PFC11 and RE10 with steel rotors, switched to ST and RSL1 to see how long ST can last on the worst track, worst driver on brakes and a pretty aggressive pad, the ST rotors moved them 991.1RS to my 991.2 GT3RS. Sold both with 40 and 20K miles in 2020 with ST rotors. Only got to a couple refurbishments. We tried swapping rotors at the track and the ST are good for .4 sec with me driving same car same track same time, but the value is the consistency during a session, with Dunlop’s you can still go for lap time on the last lap..

I have ordered PCCB on my GT4 but won’t keep long, my GT4RS should arrive in FL spring 2023 earliest. Plan to order with PCCB and get ST rotors again then, now that we’re on the Porsche train again…
Old 07-15-2022, 10:59 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 655 Likes on 366 Posts

Gents,
If you're looking for long wear AND reasonable cost, please keep our AP Racing by Essex Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits in mind. You can see our full menu of products here: https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...T4/Iron%20disc

AP Radi-CAL systems (which the Porsche RSR used to win Le Mans) leverages iron disc rings, but they also provide the one primary advantage of carbon ceramic, which is unsprung weight savings. On a GT4 our system shaves over 30 unsprung lbs. vs. the OEM iron setup and actually weighs closer to the OEM PCCB brake system. Our customers are getting fantastic life out of the AP Racing J Hook Discs on their cars on tracks all over the world. You can see many real-world reviews from our customers in this blog post: https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog...-kit-is-a-must

Our system provides a huge array of benefits as described in the video below. Replacement discs are reasonably priced and immediately available. They also hold their value. You can remove your OEM brakes and preserve them on your garage shelf, beat up on our brake kit for a few years, then cash out our brake kit for 70% of what you paid for it on the used market when you sell your car. In the meantime you enjoy superior performance, huge unsprung weight savings, and unparalleled customer support.

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

alwaysdriving (12-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 12:21 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
RSL1 confirmed, I was Sebring test driver customer for ST with Autoquest in Florida 2017 on?

another note, when I tried RSL1 with steel rotors they lasted much less then on ST rotors, more heat.. I’m not a Pagid anything fan, but that’s what we wanted tested.

Before ST I liked PFC11 and RE10 with steel rotors, switched to ST and RSL1 to see how long ST can last on the worst track, worst driver on brakes and a pretty aggressive pad, the ST rotors moved them 991.1RS to my 991.2 GT3RS. Sold both with 40 and 20K miles in 2020 with ST rotors. Only got to a couple refurbishments. We tried swapping rotors at the track and the ST are good for .4 sec with me driving same car same track same time, but the value is the consistency during a session, with Dunlop’s you can still go for lap time on the last lap..

I have ordered PCCB on my GT4 but won’t keep long, my GT4RS should arrive in FL spring 2023 earliest. Plan to order with PCCB and get ST rotors again then, now that we’re on the Porsche train again…
Thanks for verifying. Again, not that you can't use other compounds with STs, there just isn't a ton of data I have come across for other compounds. I am not surprised to see that wear was poor with the RSL1. I would be curious to know how the RSC3 then compares to the RSL1, as it is similar in terms of bite but designed for carbon discs. The RSC1 would wear better, but you obviously like more aggressive pads so I don't think you would like them either.

If you like the PFC11 compound (I do as well), I think you may want to try the 331/332 combo when the time comes next year. I could get you a set cheap to try.

The longevity you were still seeing out of the STs given what is arguably some of the most extreme conditions, I think could be an encouraging sign for others.
0.4sec is considerable as well, that is the first valid lap time reduction claim I have seen.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:59 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Seems like an appropriate thread for this. Is this what folks start seeing when they say the stock brake pads start to fall apart on track? This a front pad after 11 20-min sessions at PIR.

Last edited by Josh_357; 12-12-2022 at 10:16 PM.
alwaysdriving (12-15-2022)
Old 04-09-2024, 06:02 PM
Parki
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Bringing up this thread with a question in regards to the part number of the original brake pads.

I found two numbers for the GT4 steel brake pads (front wheel). One is 9GT.698.151G and the other one 9GT.615.115G.
Are these exactly the same pads?

Quick Reply: Brake-Pads GT4