Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Brake-Pads GT4

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 04:22 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I will buy ST rotors again next spring for my GT4RS
Real world:

991.1RS Sebring Lap times 2:12-2:16 in summer SC and TC always on.
Steel rotors with RE10 pads:
Front: Rotors 16 days pads 8 days
Rear: Rotors 60 days pads 12 days

Surface transforms
Front: Rotors refurb 16 days pads 10 days (Only tried Pagid RSL1, I think if RE10 works another couple days out of rotors and pads possibly)
Rear: Rotors refurb 20 days pads 16 days.

Refurbed them twice before I sold.
You can do the math.

More expensive then steel but much better and cheaper then PCCB.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 07-11-2022 at 04:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TRAKCAR:
JCviggen (07-11-2022), Reedy (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 05:18 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

On my 981 GT4 I got 54 days (4452 Track Miles) out of the front rotors running Ferodo DS3.11 pads. The rear rotors were never changed. I am a Tech Inspector for my local PCA club and a DE Instructor
The following users liked this post:
JRitt@essex (07-15-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 06:45 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,081 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Real world:

Surface transforms
Front: Rotors refurb 16 days pads 10 days (Only tried Pagid RSL1, I think if RE10 works another couple days out of rotors and pads possibly)

You can do the math.

What prompted the refurbs? Any visible damage or measurements taken that necessitated it?
Old 07-11-2022, 06:57 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen

I appreciate a bit of good marketing, and your disclaimer is absolutely valid. It is possible to engineer a possible use case where the ST aren't much more expensive. It just requires taking a manufacturer's endurance claims and comparing that to a rental cayman S (a car on smaller diameter discs and more brake cooling issues generally)

I track quite a lot, and I don't hang around, and my GT4 stock discs last me a season using DS1.11 pads. Aftermarket slotted discs are better in terms of longevity still, but I'm probably an outlier in efficient brake use and I avoid long stints where temperatures build up.

Even so, it's best case scenario vs worst case scenario. And I'm guessing that getting the ST discs resurfaced takes more than 5 mins as well in terms of scheduled downtime of your track car as they need to be shipped back and forth quite a distance.

If I had to guess I'd say the Surface Transforms discs will be about twice the cost to run of steels and they're worth it if you can afford them. There's no such thing as a free upgrade. If it's a lot better odds are you need to pay for the difference.
Also a fair argument. One small point worth mentioning is that our Cayman S is running the PFC 380 Brake kit. The 380 kit uses essentially the same brake calipers and rotors that the GT4 Clubsport uses (by the way this kit should be available to the 981 S/GTS masses in 2 months or less from PFC - we are taking pre-orders now ). The best-case vs. worst-case scenario isn't quite accurate either, but also fair. I do hope folks understand this wasn't meant to be taken as fact or any type of claim for that matter. There are enough false claims being floated by sponsors in here that I do everything I can to avoid contributing to that. However, from what I have heard and the feedback I am getting so far, it does sound like these rotors are lasting a long time. Will ST rotors actually be cheaper than iron? Perhaps for some, they will be. The point is really to suggest that I believe the gap has shrunk to the point where running Carbon Ceramic discs isn't entirely a non-economical alternative to iron. Now if we want to compare to OE PCCB rotors, STs are the clear better option from a performance, cost, and longevity standpoint.

Real world:

Surface transforms

You can do the math.

Feedback like this is exactly what this conversation needs, so thank you for that.
  • Might I ask, did you get the same amount of track days from refurb 1 to refurb 2 as you did from new to refurb 1 (16 days)? Curious to see how the refurbishment degradation claims stack up.
  • Also, how ragged were they when you sent them in for the first refurb?

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
Old 07-11-2022, 07:48 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Also remember TRAKCAR drives "Flat Out"

Peter
Old 07-11-2022, 08:48 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GT4 Brake Pads.

Interesting chat about the oversized pads from Hawk, I was looking at there ceramic’s for my new 2022 718 Spyder.
I’m pretty confident that with some careful filing of the problem overhang, one could successfully bevel the mitigating edge away.
This would involve no cutting, but just a little finesse.
cheers,
Old 07-12-2022, 09:10 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reedy
What prompted the refurbs? Any visible damage or measurements taken that necessitated it?
That’s a big advantage, with PCCB you need to remove the disc and apply voodoo with special equipment. With ST you can see it, feel it with your nail (rough) and I waited too long once and it starts feeling like material transfer.

also, the numbers I gave are the worst you can possibly do with a 991RS. Sebring is the worst track I’ve ever been to for brakes. It’s hard and the layout is a brake killer. My lap time is respectable for an amateur and a lot of the time is found under max braking at Sebring.

bedding is important!

Most DE drivers will do much much better. Since 2020 I’ve only driven the Nurburgring and it’s very very easy on brakes by comparison.
The following users liked this post:
Reedy (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 09:17 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
Also a fair argument. One small point worth mentioning is that our Cayman S is running the PFC 380 Brake kit. The 380 kit uses essentially the same brake calipers and rotors that the GT4 Clubsport uses (by the way this kit should be available to the 981 S/GTS masses in 2 months or less from PFC - we are taking pre-orders now ). The best-case vs. worst-case scenario isn't quite accurate either, but also fair. I do hope folks understand this wasn't meant to be taken as fact or any type of claim for that matter. There are enough false claims being floated by sponsors in here that I do everything I can to avoid contributing to that. However, from what I have heard and the feedback I am getting so far, it does sound like these rotors are lasting a long time. Will ST rotors actually be cheaper than iron? Perhaps for some, they will be. The point is really to suggest that I believe the gap has shrunk to the point where running Carbon Ceramic discs isn't entirely a non-economical alternative to iron. Now if we want to compare to OE PCCB rotors, STs are the clear better option from a performance, cost, and longevity standpoint.

Feedback like this is exactly what this conversation needs, so thank you for that.
  • Might I ask, did you get the same amount of track days from refurb 1 to refurb 2 as you did from new to refurb 1 (16 days)? Curious to see how the refurbishment degradation claims stack up.
  • Also, how ragged were they when you sent them in for the first refurb?
same performance after refurb.

One of the refurb I overdid the front rotors and once the rears. Meaning I ran them so long I had brake shudder like material transfer. I actually ran them a little longer, I should have refurbed earlier, at the days use I referred to.

I would say may numbers are as bad as you can possible achieve, another track and 3 secs a lap slower and the rotors life could double..
Old 07-12-2022, 09:19 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Also remember TRAKCAR drives "Flat Out"

Peter
That was before we build back bleaker.. only been to the Ring the last two years. Leaving Sunday again, come with :-)
Old 07-12-2022, 11:18 AM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
On my 981 GT4 I got 54 days (4452 Track Miles) out of the front rotors running Ferodo DS3.11 pads. The rear rotors were never changed. I am a Tech Inspector for my local PCA club and a DE Instructor
Impressive!
Old 07-12-2022, 07:20 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,081 Likes on 473 Posts

That’s a big advantage, with PCCB you need to remove the disc and apply voodoo with special equipment. With ST you can see it, feel it with your nail (rough) and I waited too long once and it starts feeling like material transfer.

also, the numbers I gave are the worst you can possibly do with a 991RS. Sebring is the worst track I’ve ever been to for brakes. It’s hard and the layout is a brake killer. My lap time is respectable for an amateur and a lot of the time is found under max braking at Sebring.

bedding is important!

Most DE drivers will do much much better. Since 2020 I’ve only driven the Nurburgring and it’s very very easy on brakes by comparison.
The variance between tracks is a very real thing. I have a few tracks that I drive regularly and the difference in brake wear between them is very noticeable. Then you take your car to Bathurst and learn a whole new lesson on how hard a car can be on brakes.

Also noting the difference between a 991RS and GT4, the extra power of the GT3 means it's carrying higher speeds into braking zones so GT4 owners should get better life out of them as well.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:01 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,575 Likes on 603 Posts

That was before we build back bleaker.. only been to the Ring the last two years. Leaving Sunday again, come with :-)
I'm there 24th + 25th just in case you'd still be around by then. 25th is a private trackday however.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:31 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCviggen
I'm there 24th + 25th just in case you'd still be around by then. 25th is a private trackday however.
I’m there every day the track is open 19-31 signed up for speed club 22nd and schnelleschwaben 25th. All Apex rental cars I’m not tracking mine much.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:35 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,575 Likes on 603 Posts

I’m there every day the track is open 19-31 signed up for speed club 22nd and schnelleschwaben 25th. All Apex rental cars I’m not tracking mine much.
Cool. I'm also on the schnelle schwaben on the 25th and probably will do a few laps on Sun 24 if it's not too hectic out on track. Happy to chat and maybe go for a lap

Old 07-13-2022, 10:55 AM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

same performance after refurb.

One of the refurb I overdid the front rotors and once the rears. Meaning I ran them so long I had brake shudder like material transfer. I actually ran them a little longer, I should have refurbed earlier, at the days use I referred to.

I would say may numbers are as bad as you can possible achieve, another track and 3 secs a lap slower and the rotors life could double..
Peter, thanks a ton for all of your feedback. What compounds have you all tried with the ST rotors?

Quick Reply: Brake-Pads GT4