Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 02:50 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Germandude
I picked up my SRS yesterday after installing PPF and went for a longer drive. What I can say so far (as a 718 Spyder owner) that the SRS is a different league. It is way more "raw". The suspension is great, the sound (my biggest complain on the 718 Spyder) is...let's say scary and forces you to rev higher. The suction noise plays a big part and is very present. All in all I am very pleased so far event though I haven't reved it over 5. I guess 5-9 will be hell on earth.

As Porsche does not offer any options for the red loop (yet) I decided to make some in black with coloured stitching for some of my colleagues (who have SRS on order). Here's the sample with yellow stitching:

I hope you find this useful for those who does not have red stitching on order. Replacing those is quite easy BTW.
Cool! Thanks for sharing.

Can you comment on the steering feel? Steering firmness or lightness, steering feel of the road, steering quickness, etc? Compared to steering in 718 Spyder?
Old 01-26-2024, 02:53 AM
carswithnoah
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 29 Posts

I picked up my SRS yesterday after installing PPF and went for a longer drive. What I can say so far (as a 718 Spyder owner) that the SRS is a different league. It is way more "raw". The suspension is great, the sound (my biggest complain on the 718 Spyder) is...let's say scary and forces you to rev higher. The suction noise plays a big part and is very present. All in all I am very pleased so far event though I haven't reved it over 5. I guess 5-9 will be hell on earth.

As Porsche does not offer any options for the red loop (yet) I decided to make some in black with coloured stitching for some of my colleagues (who have SRS on order). Here's the sample with yellow stitching:

I hope you find this useful for those who does not have red stitching on order. Replacing those is quite easy BTW.
Making any more lol? I could use a set
The following users liked this post:
ronr (01-26-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 01:12 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 693 Posts

Thank you for your post.

We would all appreciate it, if you could please share your initial driving impressions with us, even if you can’t go past 5,000 rpm.
Old 01-27-2024, 05:47 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Thank you for you sharing those thoughts!
Old 01-27-2024, 01:23 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 87 Posts

Appreciate the feedback. I always believed and heard that the softened suspension tuning compared to the GT4 RS basically meant that suspension dampening is the same as the 718 Spyder. As a person who has one on order, I'm a bit embaassed to ask this question: I understood that the 718 Spyder took the 991 GT3 front end suspension bits. What about the RS? does it use the same parts from the 992 GT3?

Am I wrong on both cases? Would you say that the springs and the rebounds are completely different from the 718 Spyder? Can you distinguish if this is due to the stiffer springs, or something else?
348SStb (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 01:26 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fractal-Spyder
Appreciate the feedback. I always believed and heard that the softened suspension tuning compared to the GT4 RS basically meant that suspension dampening is the same as the 718 Spyder. As a person who has one on order, I'm a bit embaassed to ask this question: I understood that the 718 Spyder took the 991 GT3 front end suspension bits. What about the RS? does it use the same parts from the 992 GT3?

Am I wrong on both cases? Would you say that the springs and the rebounds are completely different from the 718 Spyder? Can you distinguish if this is due to the stiffer springs, or something else?
I’ve read that the Spyder RS has the front end from the 991.2 GT3 RS.

The 992 GT3 has double wishbone which the Porsche Gods have decreed would never be fitted to a 981/982 platform. (The form factor likely wouldn’t fit either.)

Last edited by 348SStb; 01-27-2024 at 01:28 PM.
Fractal-Spyder (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 01:40 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
I’ve read that the Spyder RS has the front end from the 991.2 GT3 RS.

The 992 GT3 has double wishbone which the Porsche Gods have decreed would never be fitted to a 981/982 platform. (The form factor likely wouldn’t fit either.)
Of course... How can I confuse the double wishboned GT3s vs. struts. Thanks for that correction.

Sounds like an amazing 'race car'. Can't wait to see it in Leipzig!
Old 01-27-2024, 02:45 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,583 Likes on 1,317 Posts

The steering, the feel, the dampers and the engine noise gives you the feeling of driving a race car rather than a sportscar.
This is probably the best summary, if I were to guess. Will it be “too much?” The $200k question. And, of course, everyone’s answer will be personal / unique to them.

Last edited by Adrift; 01-27-2024 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2024, 06:57 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 643 Likes on 364 Posts

Looking forward to reading your thoughts once you get it past 5k.

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
Old 01-27-2024, 10:05 PM
RedCarrot
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

I pretty much expect it to be like my beloved S2000 on speed, steroid and cocaine all at once.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:37 AM
jilted82
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally Chris Harris will drive the Spyder RS (spotted in this video). So it will be compared to something in this series

Last edited by jilted82; 01-28-2024 at 09:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jilted82:
Jay Cordeiro (01-28-2024), white2abbit (01-29-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 09:43 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

I just love to see people in the car business close the door of a car by using the frameless glass window as a place to exert the force needed to close the door.

The effing window isn’t a door handle. It’s also not an armrest.

This never ceases to amaze me. It seems almost a guarantee that someone associated with a dealership or anything to with the car business will do this.

These people have obviously never needed to replace a window guide or do an extensive repair on a frameless window that is misaligned as a result of human error literally damaging the components that keep the frameless glass in place.

He probably has been doing this forever, but it’s the first time I’ve seen it; I just lost all respect for Chris Harris.

Last edited by 348SStb; 01-28-2024 at 09:56 AM.
emkae (01-28-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 12:11 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 442 Likes on 247 Posts

I just love to see people in the car business close the door of a car by using the frameless glass window as a place to exert the force needed to close the door.

This never ceases to amaze me. It seems almost a guarantee that someone associated with a dealership or anything to with the car business will do this.

These people have obviously never needed to replace a window guide or do an extensive repair on a frameless window that is misaligned as a result of human error literally damaging the components that keep the frameless glass in place.

He probably has been doing this forever, but it’s the first time I’ve seen it; I just lost all respect for Chris Harris.
So because he closed the door that way he no longer has a good opinion on a car? Seems a bit aggressive to lose all respect for someone for this reason. And while I can understand your concerns, shouldn't the car with a frameless window be engineered for people to close the door pushing on the window? I would be shocked if that wasn't worked into testing components. Not to say it can't create a problem but the manufacturer should be considering that when producing the product. I certainly didn't close the GT3 door every time using the door handle and didn't have an issue in over 9 years...
Old 01-28-2024, 12:21 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mwar99
So because he closed the door that way he no longer has a good opinion on a car? Seems a bit aggressive to lose all respect for someone for this reason. And while I can understand your concerns, shouldn't the car with a frameless window be engineered for people to close the door pushing on the window? I would be shocked if that wasn't worked into testing components. Not to say it can't create a problem but the manufacturer should be considering that when producing the product. I certainly didn't close the GT3 door every time using the door handle and didn't have an issue in over 9 years...
It’s not engineered for that, no. It’s frameless glass. Just like a door isn’t engineered to be excessively slammed (also damages the frameless glass components), a clutch isn’t engineered to be excessively ridden, and an engine isn’t engineered to be excessively pushed. These things are engineered for durability, but obviously pretty much everything can break, no? Components to a machine have a tolerance level. You cannot engineer away a tolerance level.

And if you treated your GT3 the way you preferred, that’s your prerogative; and if nothing happened to it, then that’s a good thing. But it’s obvious you haven’t had to take a door apart, buy new components, and address the painful (and costly) issue of realigning a frameless window and restoring it to factory specification. (I assure you I have and so have many shops and individuals across the world). This happens because of two careless human actions that compound the problem over time: slamming the door, and using the window as a leverage point either as an armrest or as a method of closing the door (and slamming it too is a double-whammy).

And I didn’t say he no longer has a good opinion on a car — you did. I said I lost all respect for him.

What a weird reply to my post. I’m defending these fine pieces of art which are damaged by careless people. I’d say “aggressive” is an aggressive word choice by you. I don’t know the man, I’m not doing anything the man — I just made a statement that I lost all respect for him. Chris Harris is someone who should be way ahead of the average person in terms of knowing how to treat a car — especially one that isn’t his. The standard for him (in my book) is as high as it could be.

Last edited by 348SStb; 01-28-2024 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:26 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,361 Posts

I hate it when people do the same thing, especially at car shows (and dealers).
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
348SStb (01-28-2024), Jay Cordeiro (01-28-2024)

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread