Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 09:05 PM
vcp13
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The two cars offer two different sets of experiences, with some overlap. Some people will prefer one car, some will prefer the other. I suspect that there are some people who would like to have both.
Both!
Old 11-08-2023, 09:50 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,325 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by vcp13
Both!
I too would like both, but had to pick one.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:47 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 929 Posts

View this post on Instagram
Old 11-08-2023, 10:48 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 929 Posts

View this post on Instagram
Old 11-09-2023, 12:47 AM
RedCarrot
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
I talked to more than 5 dealers in last 5 months who sell this car as well as all other GT cars at MSRP. No they aren’t mega size dealers, but that’s their policy.

That’s a fact.

We hurt ourselves when we publish knowledge of asking prices over MSRP. The mere mention of tens or hundreds of thousands over MSRP fuels the whole thing. If these forums didn’t exist, it would be better for all our pocketbooks. The dealers would have no hard reference points (which people here provide in writing) to justify these kinds of markups.

But when the fluffery is enshrined on forums like this one and others, dealers are fueled by “the chase” mentality and therefore justify to themselves that this is the market.

I wish people would never ever once post anything that indicates knowledge of or even conjecture about anything even a nickel over MSRP. This hurts everything we as consumers are trying to do.
This is also true with many different forums... watches, sneakers, apparels, handbags, video game character builds, etc. People get immersed in it and feel they need to keep up with the Jones that first got their hands on the greatest and latest. It can become very toxic if one is not self-aware and have self discipline. It is no different here.

Old 11-09-2023, 12:58 AM
RedCarrot
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
I know this is personal, but for anything other than max attack track work…why would you get a hard top? Does not compute. Open air is so much more of an experience. IMHO

As much as I want an SRS, I have zero interest in a 4rs. Is that weird?
Same here. There are no tracks anywhere near me but there is a fantastic mountain road that rivals The Dragon. It is completely personal as you said, but the 4RS has no appeal to me at all. It's simply too hardcore for me in look (big wing), sound (lower RPM drone) and suspension. Never bothered to ask to put on a 4RS waitlist. I was ready to go forward with my Emira allocation if the SRS allocation didn't happen for me. Different strokes...

Last edited by RedCarrot; 11-09-2023 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-09-2023, 01:27 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,874 Likes on 784 Posts

Red looks sick. WP, not so much.
The following users liked this post:
n4v4nod (11-09-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 02:58 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
I talked to more than 5 dealers in last 5 months who sell this car as well as all other GT cars at MSRP. No they aren’t mega size dealers, but that’s their policy.

That’s a fact.

We hurt ourselves when we publish knowledge of asking prices over MSRP. The mere mention of tens or hundreds of thousands over MSRP fuels the whole thing. If these forums didn’t exist, it would be better for all our pocketbooks. The dealers would have no hard reference points (which people here provide in writing) to justify these kinds of markups.

But when the fluffery is enshrined on forums like this one and others, dealers are fueled by “the chase” mentality and therefore justify to themselves that this is the market.

I wish people would never ever once post anything that indicates knowledge of or even conjecture about anything even a nickel over MSRP. This hurts everything we as consumers are trying to do.
I’ve been saying the same here for a long time. It’s likely that dealers themselves participate in this ADM-pump psyop through proxies. Why wouldn’t they?
Old 11-09-2023, 03:06 AM
Koizami
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I estimate that 65% of the people in this post do not like WP, and 35% of people would choose WP.
I'm curious about the reasons why people don't choose WP?

1. Feel that the exposed carbon fiber front hood has ruined the classic aesthetics (which can be painted in body color, free)
2. The price is too high, not worth it
3. Don't like the RACE-TEX dash, if you go WP you can't go leather dash
4. or?

For those who choose WP just want Magnesium wheels, you can completely not choose WP and buy it in the aftermarket, the price seems to be more cost-effective, at least in my country.
Old 11-09-2023, 06:43 AM
McClown
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts

I know this is personal, but for anything other than max attack track work…why would you get a hard top? Does not compute. Open air is so much more of an experience. IMHO

100% agree. Open air for the win.
The following users liked this post:
Jay Cordeiro (11-09-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 07:13 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I agree. Open top is a MUST for a backroads car. Completely different experience.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:18 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Guards may be the best color for the SRS, regardless of price. Guards/Neodyme combo looks especially delicious.

I'm not sure I'd choose WP even if was a free option, much less at that price. My guess is most will order it because (1) "WP RS command a premium on the used car market. Non-WP RS is the economy build" and (2) they can't get PTS and/or Mag wheels without it.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:22 AM
Gorthaur
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

If it is, I'm weird as well. I wouldn't buy a 4RS over a GT3 - ever. On the other hand, the only alternative to a SRS is (maybe) a Speedster, which however costs twice as much and comes as a manual only (I'm a ***** and I want a PDK).
Old 11-09-2023, 08:01 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,325 Likes on 2,460 Posts

For the track, almost every experienced track driver will prefer the 4RS.

For the road, IMO the SRS is the better car if you can deal with the top and don’t roll the car. Other Boxster variants are also good options.

Old 11-09-2023, 08:29 AM
Da.car
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Koizami
I estimate that 65% of the people in this post do not like WP, and 35% of people would choose WP.
I'm curious about the reasons why people don't choose WP?

1. Feel that the exposed carbon fiber front hood has ruined the classic aesthetics (which can be painted in body color, free)
2. The price is too high, not worth it
3. Don't like the RACE-TEX dash, if you go WP you can't go leather dash
4. or?

For those who choose WP just want Magnesium wheels, you can completely not choose WP and buy it in the aftermarket, the price seems to be more cost-effective, at least in my country.
All of the above
1. Not a fan of all the CF, looks IMO a bit cheap
2. You pay extra for what? No weight saving, just cosmetics (see 1)
3. I have 'plastic' in my 987.2 Spyder and it doesn't bother me at all. With all the dust & water (if driven in the rain - which I do) it is even preferred over leather
4. CF shortage. I got an early allocation (delivery = end this month if all goes well) by not taking WP

yes it unlocks the magnesium wheels but again 15k extra. Pff, I would then go aftermarket (second set) and/or go for the PCCBs

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread