Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 10:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Can they take the air from underneath the car?

It is indeed a puzzler which way they’ll go. If it’s a bergspyder, I wouldn’t want one anyway. I just don’t see Porsche building a car with such limited utility.
only if you want to see a GT3 engine explode due to hydro-lock ...
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
DFW01TT (11-23-2021), Frank718Spyder (01-31-2022)
Old 11-21-2021, 10:23 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Prevailing wisdom seems to be, that unless they produce some limited critter like an R to satiate the whales, the RS will be a unicorn. I'm not getting my hopes up.

How much would folks pay? Just curious. GT3 engine, probably pdk. Assume not a hack job to make the engine fit. The 4rs is too busy for a tasteful street car, imo, so something in line with the current graceful execution. Where is the line for most, especially those that don't have the wallet for a garage of gt3s (like me).

How much would you pay for a spyder rs?
$150k
Old 11-21-2021, 10:31 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,583 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
only if you want to see a GT3 engine explode due to hydro-lock ...
Then couldn't you retain the current air intakes, and take cooling air from underneath? Spit-balling here. I really don't want to see a frankenstein spyder rs with vents everywhere, losing its current amazing grace. Just figure out how to get that 9k RPM gt3 motor in there, and call it a day.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:46 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by vcp13
That air intake and engine cover set up on gt4rs is right about where the spyder roof gets stowed under the rear deck lid...
They can use a similar method like on the Speedster and put it where the trunk is. It may eliminate the trunk or decrease the size of it but I think this way they can preserve the roof function.
The following 2 users liked this post by sin911:
Frank718Spyder (12-03-2021), theEnd (01-06-2022)
Old 11-22-2021, 08:09 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

No matter where the vents are, it would seem water / rain / moisture intake would be a problem. I need to research how they deal with that.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:13 PM
Frank718Spyder
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
As for the BergSpyder, great one off but not for the last best NA Spyder, it has to be usable, Porsche makes drivers cars,
Let's hope for that!

I am on the list with my local Porsche center here in Germany for a Spyder RS too. If it turns out that the Spyder RS will be some kind of Bergspyder without a roof, i will cancel my "reservation" too.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:45 PM
Frank718Spyder
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Prevailing wisdom seems to be, that unless they produce some limited critter like an R to satiate the whales, the RS will be a unicorn. I'm not getting my hopes up.

How much would folks pay? Just curious. GT3 engine, probably pdk. Assume not a hack job to make the engine fit. The 4rs is too busy for a tasteful street car, imo, so something in line with the current graceful execution. Where is the line for most, especially those that don't have the wallet for a garage of gt3s (like me).

How much would you pay for a spyder rs?
Assuming that the 718 Spyder RS will not be a Bergspyder kind of car, i.e. without a proper roof and windshield, i would pay exactly the same as for a GT4 RS, which is EUR 180k fully specced, including Weissach package, PCCB and some other nice amenities (but without those crazy Magnesium wheels).

Current pricing here in Germany is that GT4 is slightly more expensive (around 2.5k) than the Spyder. So why should the Spyder RS be more expensive than the GT4 RS?

Old 12-03-2021, 01:47 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

I was looking for this thread. bookmarking now.

Put me down for a Spyder RS!!!

And I'm okay with a California Top since I live in Laguna Beach it would be perfect!

Last edited by jeanrabelais; 12-03-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:37 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

As popular wisdom seems to be that, unless you have FU money, you’ll never get within a mile of one, it is largely irrelevant what any of us want. lol
Old 12-03-2021, 03:05 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,742 Posts

The good thing about the Spyder RS not being real (yet) is I have time to think about it a lot more, what it could be, what it needs to be and what it might cost which is the biggest consideration of all three. For me it is easy to decide on what options, if I can get one to build, but will my 'Spyder' experience really change enough to warrant the cost?

I built a GT4 RS like my current Spyder is built and the price goes up by about $60,000 and this does not account for any losses that I might take on the current car or the new luxury tax coming next year, combined it might push the net expenditure after trade-in to $100,000

Last edited by Westcoast; 12-03-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:28 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Yeah, how much is a spyder with a (slightly detuned) gt3 motor in it worth to you? That's the real question. But it's also very likely the last, best version of an ICE spyder that will ever exist. There's that. (Deman, not included)
The following users liked this post:
Frank718Spyder (12-04-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 06:13 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

As popular wisdom seems to be that, unless you have FU money, you’ll never get within a mile of one, it is largely irrelevant what any of us want. lol
I understand the sentiment, but as my Alsatian Jewish Great GrandFather would say, doesn't cost anything to ask!

I've been involved in the international art world over that last 30 years and there are ways to get what you want even when you want something everyone else wants.

One: Start saying hello to your dealership NOW! Get names, Tell them who you are and why you matter. Talk about your interest in Porsche and talk about the market and the future inventory and allocations..
Two: Buy Multiples, Sometimes it's easier to buy two than to buy one.
Three: the ugly sister, sometimes the dealer will sell the prize if you take the e-stationwagon no one wants as well.
Four: Be the squeaky wheel, call and call and ask and ask. Be Friendly Up Beat and Persistent and talk to everyone you can about your desire for model.
Five: Go on Forums, read about the dealerships and the SA's and their reputations so you don't waste your time when you can simply read what others before you have experienced and thus you can avoid the traps.
Six: educate yourself as to the market in your local area. It varies by region. Know your market so you don't ask for the impossible. We are talking about a market place so it does come down to money but the relationships will get you to the table if you know what I mean.
Seven: participate, When your dealership has a charity drive - donate. Be a member of your community the dealership would want as a client... Don't walk in with a pocket full of cash or an unknown source of income.... just saying it helps to be a reputable citizen..
Lastly, get it in writing.
This isn't magic, it's a market place. Be respectful and treat everyone like you would like to be treated and have your money ready to deal.

Last edited by jeanrabelais; 12-03-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:18 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Not disagreeing with anything you said, but the (totally speculative) expectation is that the small number of them will all go to whales behind the scenes; there will be none available to the general public.

Who knows. If your wallet is big enough, everything is for sale, of course. Maybe Seinfeld would take pity on a "poor" P-car fan like me. lol

Last edited by Adrift; 12-03-2021 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:30 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Not disagreeing with anything you said, but the (totally speculative) expectation is that the small number of them will all go to whales behind the scenes; there will be none available to the general public.

Who knows. If you're wallet is big enough, everything is for sale, of course. Maybe Seinfeld would take pity on a "poor" P-car fan like me. lol
And ME!! too. But the market for these two seat convertibles isn't as big as the market for the GT4. And a manual top also keeps some peeps away. I'm hopeful if it is under 200k then I'm good to go.
Frank718Spyder (12-05-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 08:31 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,742 Posts

Yeah, how much is a spyder with a (slightly detuned) gt3 motor in it worth to you? That's the real question. But it's also very likely the last, best version of an ICE spyder that will ever exist. There's that. (Deman, not included)
IIRC the lower HP rating for the RS is because in the mid-engine car the longer exhaust route is more restrictive and causes an increase in back pressure, I don't believe the engine is de-tuned for the GT4.

Anyway, given my numbers and moving from a Spyder to the Spyder RS, would you give them your Spyder and another $100,000 for a RS?
jeanrabelais (12-03-2021)

Quick Reply: The 718 Spyder RS Discussion Thread