Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Add a subwoofer to stock stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 11:32 AM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 818 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Goodwood
but has anyone retrofitted the other speakers?
One last time....simply replacing speakers with nothing to drive them will be disappointing and a waste of money.
The following users liked this post:
Goodwood (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 11:34 AM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by sonicworld
I live in MA and I don't think we have the caliber of installers you do on the West coast.
Eh? MA has some of the best car stereo installers in the country. Pro Car Sound in Malden, Precision Sound in Dedham and Auto Sound in MIddleton are all top-notch shops. Unless you're out in the Berkshires, I'd say you have a lot to choose from.
The following users liked this post:
sonicworld (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 11:45 AM
2seats
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

More on just replacing speakers:

All aftermarket speakers provide a listing of specs. If you want a speaker that will sound good connected to the stock system, no amp. Look for speakers that have the highest “sensitivity” rating. High sensitivity means a speaker will produce more sound with very little power. So a speaker that has very high sensitivity and relatively low power handling may be a good clue that it might sound good as a simple drop in upgrade.

However, it may not be that simple... most aftermarket speakers are designed for 4 ohms. Many of the newer stock car systems are actually pushing 6 or 8 ohms to the speakers. Connecting a 4 ohm speaker to a cheap 6 ohm source will not sound good and present other issues.

So everything goes back to FIND A SHOP. They can examine the speaker locations for what would fit direct and measure the resistance (ohms).

A good shop can provide several proposals and discuss pros and cons of each. It would all start with a thorough evaluation of the vehicle.

Last edited by 2seats; 08-16-2021 at 11:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2seats:
flynlo (08-16-2021), Goodwood (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 11:52 AM
Goodwood
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 69 Posts

All great advice, guys, thanks. I have a trusted shop/install guy I've worked with for 15 yrs. I'll go talk to him and see what he suggests, bearing in mind everything you all have said.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:56 AM
Z06jerry
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by 2seats
More on just replacing speakers:

All aftermarket speakers provide a listing of specs. If you want a speaker that will sound good connected to the stock system, no amp. Look for speakers that have the highest “sensitivity” rating. High sensitivity means a speaker will produce more sound with very little power. So a speaker that has very high sensitivity and relatively low power handling may be a good clue that it might sound good as a simple drop in upgrade.

However, it may not be that simple... most aftermarket speakers are designed for 4 ohms. Many of the newer stock car systems are actually pushing 6 or 8 ohms to the speakers. Connecting a 4 ohm speaker to a cheap 6 ohm source will not sound good and present other issues.
LOL ...

Quick Reply: Add a subwoofer to stock stereo?