Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Add a subwoofer to stock stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 03:54 PM
2seats
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Goodwood
I listen to a talk radio show in the morning, and it's fine, not great, but acceptable. It's when I play the classic rock channels, it's sounds awful. I do have Spotify, with the output set to highest, and yes, it is better, but I prefer the programming on Sat.
If you really really care. Go to the most high end shop in town. Stay there all day while they remove your door panels and examine what component set can fit in your door panel. A component is a midwoofer with a separate tweeter. Buy the most expensive components that they offer that will fit. Get some thing like Focal, Morel etc. the component set will run 500-2000 depending on what you get. You will need an amplifier and sound processor. Most of the new amplifiers have the sound processor built-in now. You won’t be able to hit very low bass notes but it’ll be crystal clear and loud. For the kind of music you listen to that might be good enough.

if you wanna take it one step further then have them build a very small flat long rectangular box for an 8 inch sub and put it in the very back of the hatchback area.

I know you think you only need a sub but you always want to have as much of the sound coming from the front of the car as possible.

but again... don’t recommend doing this. People buying used porsches do not want to see this done to the car.

Last edited by 2seats; 08-10-2021 at 03:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Goodwood (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 04:04 PM
Goodwood
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 69 Posts

Well crap, thanks for the input. Seems I'll be better off just ordering a new 2023 CGTS with Burmester (and deviated stiching) which I also regret not getting this go round.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:34 PM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 2seats
Stay there all day while they remove your door panels and examine what component set can fit in your door panel.
I was curious, so went and looked: Crutchfield has no fitment data for the 718 Cayman. I know it's not a high-volume car or anything, but I was surprised they had nothing for what's essentially a six-year-old model. Heck, they have fitment data for the 1993 Suzuki Swift sedan I drove in college, and I don't think in all the years I've seen more than a handful of those...
Old 08-10-2021, 07:02 PM
Goodwood
Racer

I noticed that myself. Odd
Old 08-10-2021, 08:25 PM
2seats
Racer

I also looked earlier while this discussion was going. They also didn’t let you select Base, Bose, Burmeister.

That’s why I said you were going to have to take the door panel off and test fit speakers.

On Bose and Burmeister there may be platlstic mini enclosures with odd size drivers so you would be looking at removing that and creating a mounting plate.

I think the other reason there may be no data is because all options may require fabrication.

Last edited by 2seats; 08-10-2021 at 08:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Goodwood (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 08:34 PM
2seats
Racer

You can keep all the stock speakers and add something like this https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091IBU...20.html?tp=114
The following 2 users liked this post by 2seats:
Goodwood (08-10-2021), slilley (08-11-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 09:25 PM
Goodwood
Racer

Hey thanks, that might be just what the doctor ordered! Will discuss with my stereo install guy, and see what he thinks about locating it without tearing the car all apart.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:21 PM
A911Dream
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Focal 8" in my 964 under the passenger seat and it sounds amazing!

Different set-up, I understand, but the quality of the sound and bass reproduction is great.
The following 2 users liked this post by A911Dream:
Goodwood (08-10-2021), slilley (08-11-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 01:57 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 818 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by nobbyv
"People like me" downplay it because there are generally upgrades that are a much bigger bang for the buck. Like speakers. No one said there isn't a difference between a Krako and a JL amp.
And people like me say speakers don't mean CaCa without something of quality to drive them.

http://automotive-usedcar.blogspot.c...h-end-car.html

A quote from Crutchfield and my exact point:

<<When friends ask me, "What are the best car speakers for bass?" My answer is always: "An amplifier." That's because no matter how good your speakers are, you'll get their best performance by adding more power (within their performance specs, of course).

You may be saying, "My factory stereo puts out 200 watts, and that's plenty of power." But there's a huge difference between 50 watts peak power per channel produced by your car stereo and 50 watts RMS continuous power (a more realistic rating) from an outboard amplifier.

A separate amplifier will provide more clean power than any car stereo, and that'll make a night-and-day difference in sound quality. Your system will sound better, whether you listen to a Mahler symphony at a conversational level or Metallica turned up to 11. An amplifier is essential to getting great sound in your car.

Even if you’re keeping your factory radio, you can still add an amplifier. Check the amp you’re considering to see if it includes "speaker-level inputs," which allow you to tap into factory speaker wiring to acquire the audio input that an amp needs.>>

but again... don’t recommend doing this. People buying used porsches do not want to see this done to the car.
I agree with the above statement. Which is why my rec of getting an amp only might be a good choice. Or an amp and some decent aftermarket speakers that fit in the same space as the stock ones. But if I absolutely had to upgrade, I would start with an amp first and take it from there....choosing an amp that has some "expandability" for future enhancements. A decent amp can likely go under one of the seats or even in the frunk and not be to obtrusive. Good luck. I personally like the idea of a good exhaust system. ANd for anyone reading this with a Bose system, I have a friend(Corvette) that simply changed the amp in a Bose system and it was truly night and day. Bose in the Vette generally sucks(I think that is where the nickname "Blose" comes from).
Old 08-12-2021, 02:14 PM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
And people like me say speakers don't mean CaCa without something of quality to drive them.
1) Max volume != sound quality
2) You conveniently glossed over that the #1 tip on that list you quoted is to replace the speakers
Old 08-12-2021, 03:10 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 818 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by nobbyv
1) Max volume != sound quality
2) You conveniently glossed over that the #1 tip on that list you quoted is to replace the speakers
If I am getting a horse and buggy, the horse is the most important part. We can agree to disagree. And in the end, we are just arguing....because ideally, all components should be top notch if you want top notch sound. But in the OP's particular case, I will stand by my recommendations.
Enjoy your stereo(s). I have enjoyed mine. I don't even want to tally up the amount I have spent on mobile audio. But they have all been amazing. Consequently, my hearing isn't all that great.....airplanes and guns haven't helped either. Good day
Old 08-12-2021, 03:48 PM
2seats
Racer

The amplifier is more important than most ppl think. In most factory systems if you pick the right amplifier, swap out the tweeters it will sound worlds better. Notice I didn’t say anything about the door speakers. They are usually crap, but typically sufficient for the frequencies that are being fed to them. Your door speaker and the door itself actually work together to produce mid frequencies. In contrast, the tweeters in a base factory system are usually terrible and you will really notice when you push more power to them.

Now if we are talking about a car where all you really care about is how good the stereo is, then you completely rebuild the doors to fit components with the absolutely largest mid woofer possible to get as much mid bass to the front of the car as possible. I have actually installed systems with 8 inch woofers and the doors and no woofers anywhere else. These systems typically sound way better then the type that have a box in the trunk.

now with all of that said, I don’t mess around with car audio anymore. It just doesn’t make sense for the kinds of cars I buy. If I’m driving a very awesome sports car with a crappy stereo, then I just don’t listen to music very often.

What makes the most sense for the OP is to just trade this car in on a Porsche with Burmeister.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:40 PM
Goodwood
Racer

Oh, I definitely will consider a Burmester next time! As for this car, has anyone of you guys replying listened to the stock stereo the Cayman comes with? I do like the powered bass solution for my desire to get more bass punch.
Old 08-15-2021, 12:43 PM
bradStyle
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 51 Posts

If you really really care. Go to the most high end shop in town. Stay there all day while they remove your door panels and examine what component set can fit in your door panel. A component is a midwoofer with a separate tweeter. Buy the most expensive components that they offer that will fit. Get some thing like Focal, Morel etc. the component set will run 500-2000 depending on what you get. You will need an amplifier and sound processor. Most of the new amplifiers have the sound processor built-in now. You won’t be able to hit very low bass notes but it’ll be crystal clear and loud. For the kind of music you listen to that might be good enough.

if you wanna take it one step further then have them build a very small flat long rectangular box for an 8 inch sub and put it in the very back of the hatchback area.
Or you can have them build a rectangular box for two 10 inch subs like I did. Thanks Musicar NW.

Two 10"s with about 800W driving them.

Last edited by bradStyle; 08-15-2021 at 12:44 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bradStyle:
Dan Nagy (08-15-2021), Driv200 (08-15-2021), slilley (08-16-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 12:50 PM
Driv200
Racer

Received 296 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bradStyle
Or you can have them build a rectangular box for two 10 inch subs like I did. Thanks Musicar NW.

Two 10"s with about 800W driving them.
Do they come in carbon fiber to reduce weight? LOL!

Quick Reply: Add a subwoofer to stock stereo?