Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 Market Value Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 10:05 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Fang911
The concern about GT4 values is an interesting phenomena. Just parked outside the middle school to watch my sons basketball game and the parking lot is chock full of S-classes, A8’s, Range Rovers, GLS’s, QX80’s, Model S / X’s which are collecfively plummeting in value before really falling offf a cliff after 4 yrs / 50K miles. Tesla’s just lost 10–20% overnight this week. Even my wife’s Odyssey will depreciate more in absolute $ over 4-5 yrs than our GT cars. I suspect few people on this forum (or at this crappy basketball game) put anywhere this much thought into the depreciation of their DD or wife’s luxury SUV-
True. But while our Family SUV will depreciate like crazy, we need that to haul around the family and we want to to that in style with all the active and passive safety features we can get. Believe it or not, I actually sat down prior to deciding which SUV we were going to buy, looked at depreciation curves, cost of gas, maintenance, etc. to help make my final decision.

I love the people saying "If you are worried about depreciation, you can't afford it." Which is ridiculous. Most sane people want to know how much something will cost them before buying it. Depreciation is a factor. It shouldn't be the only factor but if you want two similar options and they are pretty much equal in every regard, then the lower total cost of ownership should win out to a prudent buyer.

I remember when I was a teenager in the military. Some doofus would get his first paycheck and run out and buy a new Mustang as he could afford to make the payments. It never crossed his mind that at 18, his insurance would be as high as his payment so the car sat, parked in the dorm parking lot as the total cost of ownership was not taken into account.

Even if I had F-you money, I would like to think that I would still make reasonably prudent financial decisions.

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-15-2023 at 10:25 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MaddMike:
MSRPhunter227 (01-18-2023), needmoregarage (01-15-2023), wizee (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 10:54 PM
frosty911
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

The concern about GT4 values is an interesting phenomena. Just parked outside the middle school to watch my sons basketball game and the parking lot is chock full of S-classes, A8’s, Range Rovers, GLS’s, QX80’s, Model S / X’s which are collecfively plummeting in value before really falling offf a cliff after 4 yrs / 50K miles. Tesla’s just lost 10–20% overnight this week. Even my wife’s Odyssey will depreciate more in absolute $ over 4-5 yrs than our GT cars. I suspect few people on this forum (or at this crappy basketball game) put anywhere this much thought into the depreciation of their DD or wife’s luxury SUV-
truer words have never been spoken.

my gt4 2020 is the car that by far has cost me the less to own (probl worth 20 k $ more than what I paid for it )

my wife wants a macan for a daily driver. I’m pretty sure that another gt4 would cost less to own over 5 years than a macan.

but obviously not as practical
Old 01-15-2023, 10:59 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
True. But while our Family SUV will depreciate like crazy, we need that to haul around the family and we want to to that in style with all the active and passive safety features we can get. Believe it or not, I actually sat down prior to deciding which SUV we were going to buy, looked at depreciation curves, cost of gas, maintenance, etc. to help make my final decision.

I love the people saying "If you are worried about depreciation, you can't afford it." Which is ridiculous. Most sane people want to know how much something will cost them before buying it. Depreciation is a factor. It shouldn't be the only factor but if you want two similar options and they are pretty much equal in every regard, then the lower total cost of ownership should win out to a prudent buyer.

I remember when I was a teenager in the military. Some doofus would get his first paycheck and run out and buy a new Mustang as he could afford to make the payments. It never crossed his mind that at 18, his insurance would be as high as his payment so the car sat, parked in the dorm parking lot as the total cost of ownership was not taken into account.

Even if I had F-you money, I would like to think that I would still make reasonably prudent financial decisions.
Agreed- regardless of income, we should make good financial decisions- but logical / consistent ones as well. Those who are concerned about possibly losing $25K on a GT car over 5 yrs "should" buy a Honda Pilot or Toyota Sienna AWD for $45K as their family transport for multiple reasons- limited depreciation, excellent reliability / safety features; good tech, fuel efficiency, etc, not to mention the likelihood of dings, dents, and general abuse by the kids-
Old 01-16-2023, 11:33 AM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
Even in the old days when GT3s depreciated (which was a pretty short period before they gained their reputation and following), it was pretty slow and slight depreciation. I think it’s fair to expect a GT3 in decent condition will never be less than 2/3 its original purchase price, adjusted for inflation. Right now, used GT3s in decent condition of all generations are above their original purchase prices, even after adjusting for inflation.
They can, and they have. I bought my mint $175k MSRP 2015 991.1GT3 for $109K as a CPO car (27k on the clock) in 2020. Sold it for $122k a few months later to another Rennlister, to get a 992 GT3, then the market went crazy, dealer wanted 50k ADM and I said no. (market went even crazier after that)
Old 01-17-2023, 11:25 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

Agreed- regardless of income, we should make good financial decisions- but logical / consistent ones as well. Those who are concerned about possibly losing $25K on a GT car over 5 yrs "should" buy a Honda Pilot or Toyota Sienna AWD for $45K as their family transport for multiple reasons- limited depreciation, excellent reliability / safety features; good tech, fuel efficiency, etc, not to mention the likelihood of dings, dents, and general abuse by the kids-
Most of my cars I do keep an eye on value. I will continue to buy my wife new lexus hybrids, because they hold their value like crazy (we had one for 5 years and got 5g over what we paid for it new). I will most likely continue to buy 3 year old CPO bmws because they're one of the worst cars to buy new as they depreciate like crazy, so they're often a pretty good deal at the 3 year mark and don't depreciate much further. I've had my 335i for around 7 years and 140000km and depreciation on it during that time is probably around $15000.

Trucks I will probably never buy a new truck. As much as I prefer F150s, I generally buy 6 year old Rams as they're practically worthless by that point and barely depreciate, or can even be profited off. My last 3 trucks I've sold I made money off. If you buy when gas is expensive and sell when gas is cheap truck prices fluctuate so much it can be pretty easy to come out ahead.

Sports cars I try to buy in fall and sell in spring and usually make money off owning them. The alternative is keeping them for only a few months in summer and selling them well before people start to think about winter is coming.

I never have less than 5 cars and sometimes have 8-9 so not factoring how to minimize depreciation would be ruinous for me. Sometimes I'll buy a car just because it's a good deal and I know I can try it out and sell it later for a profit.

I do the similar with other stuff, like with say tires; I often buy winter tires around now or before spring and hang on to them until next sept. I often buy summer tires in fall and hang on to them until spring. Most years I will horde and sell multiple sets for profit and end up with free tires for the season. knowing and timing a market makes a big difference I find.
The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 12:18 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 678 Posts

Nothing more boring/sad than reading about how much Porsche owners may make/lose on buying/selling their cars...
The following 3 users liked this post by dnimi123:
85Gold (01-18-2023), Bents (01-18-2023), MechEngr1287 (01-22-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 12:40 AM
lilbza
Pro

Received 585 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Nothing more boring/sad than reading about how much Porsche owners may make/lose on buying/selling their cars...
I don't know... I reckon hearing people complain about the same thing over and over in every thread possible, has got to be up there on the boring/sad scale.
The following 4 users liked this post by lilbza:
dnimi123 (01-18-2023), Vocan (01-18-2023), wizee (01-21-2023), Zhao (01-19-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 10:44 AM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Why did you click on the thread then?
Old 01-18-2023, 11:09 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Why did you click on the thread then?
For the same reason I peruse the "waiting room"... morbid curiosity for everything Porsche. And to see if I can complain about something too, unfortunately it was not to be this time....
Zhao (01-19-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 07:38 PM
Webfiero
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
Curious about what you all think will happen to the values of lightly used 718 GT4s 4 months from now. Guess away!

God bless,
TT
Interesting thread you've started here. By now it should be clear there is not a good concensis on a GT4 market valuation in four months from now. I won't try to make a prediction for four months out. But long term any Porsche GT car, if not every Cayman/Boxster version, I believe will retain value better than most normal cars. I have come to this view over the time I've owned my '66 Vette I acquired in 1987. Its market value currently is about what I paid for it 35 years ago when restating those 1978 $'s in today's equivalent. That includes just about what has been put into it for R&R over the years. And while it's true that I'm not losing money, I would have been instead better off financially investing in 30 year Treasuries back then.

A couple years ago, after years of wondering what Porsches were all about, I got a new CGTS. I intend to hold onto my '21 CGTS long term because just like the big block Vette, every drive with it is an event. Plus, I have little doubt that if I were able to hold on to it long term, like my Vette, there will be little to no financial penalty for the pleasures it will give me. And this was the rationale that got my wife to agree to putting a Porsche in the garage beside my Vette. You may want to consider taking a similar approach with your significant other.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:57 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 498 Posts

Who really cares what the GT4 is worth in 3-5-10-20 years… most owners will be out of their respective GT cars within 1-3 years, and only have a few thousand miles on the OD. The VALUE of this car should only be assessed by how much wheel time you give it. Time is money, so make sure you take advantage of the investment you made in yourself, and your sheer joy for the open road - thats what you truly get back in value from the GT4.

If you want to invest in something that you can use and enjoy over time, all while gaining value, buy real estate.

Respectfully to my significant other(s)- its clear from day 1 that I have a passion for driving, and I will always have a sports car in the garage. Their opinions, concerns or input have no value in my car decisions. Maybe thats why I’m single
Old 01-20-2023, 02:56 AM
Zhao
Drifting

lol, but not all of us have FU money, and the reason at least some of us are here are because we were careful with our money. And we generally like to continue making good financial decisions even when we're buying expensive toys we don't need. If I YOLO'ed every dollar I earned I'd probably spiral into being paycheck to paycheck with no assets.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
Bearrun21 (01-21-2023), Prime (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 03:12 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Who really cares what the GT4 is worth in 3-5-10-20 years… most owners will be out of their respective GT cars within 1-3 years, and only have a few thousand miles on the OD. The VALUE of this car should only be assessed by how much wheel time you give it. Time is money, so make sure you take advantage of the investment you made in yourself, and your sheer joy for the open road - thats what you truly get back in value from the GT4.

If you want to invest in something that you can use and enjoy over time, all while gaining value, buy real estate.

Respectfully to my significant other(s)- its clear from day 1 that I have a passion for driving, and I will always have a sports car in the garage. Their opinions, concerns or input have no value in my car decisions. Maybe thats why I’m single
Real estate has done the best for me too, but I think diversifying and looking at everything for its potential is wise. I can buy a cheap $30 bonded leather belt and change it every 3 months, or I can drop $150 on a belt I can wear everyday and still am wearing 10 years later. If you can get something better and the long term cost is potentially less, why not factor that in? it is likely most GT owners move on within 1-3 years because at 1-3 years cost of ownership has been free and they're into another new GT car which will also have no cost of ownership when they dump it and repeat the process.

Or you could buy vettes, get a lot of performance for your money, and take a 50k bath everytime you trade it in. 50k is a lot of money to light on fire for a toy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
Andrewpiper (01-21-2023), IndigoInkTaco (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 08:47 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
If you want to invest in something that you can use and enjoy over time, all while gaining value (as long as you pay in CASH), buy real estate.
FIFY
BoxKing (01-20-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 12:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
And we generally like to continue making good financial decisions even when we're buying expensive toys we don't need.
Quoted for the irony.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
JAhmed (01-21-2023), max pl (01-22-2023)

Quick Reply: GT4 Market Value Discussion